Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Alluka also fits the Zoldyck children naming scheme where without her it wouldn't've fit.

Illumi Milluki Killua Alluka Kalluto

(Also Alluka is pretty clearly just a trans girl and I'm amazed at how hard it is for people to wrap their head around that)

but she can also grant wishes so maybe shes just a girl now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Alluka also fits the Zoldyck children naming scheme where without her it wouldn't've fit.

Illumi Milluki Killua Alluka Kalluto

(Also Alluka is pretty clearly just a trans girl and I'm amazed at how hard it is for people to wrap their head around that)

TBF I thought she was a girl and the Zoldycks were doing some weird abusive projection thing like they did with Killua

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Shugojin posted:

TBF I thought she was a girl and the Zoldycks were doing some weird abusive projection thing like they did with Killua

I mean the entire family casually misgendering the kid except Killua, the one who loves her as a sister, is a pretty abusive thing tbh

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Yeah I agree I just never thought it was a trans thing, just a complicated assassination related abuse like they did to all their other kids.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Mighty Dicktron posted:

I mean the entire family casually misgendering the kid except Killua, the one who loves her as a sister, is a pretty abusive thing tbh

I'm not sure that's what the case actually is tbh

What is the thing about the names?

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
The last syllable of each kid is the first syllable of the next one. If Alluka herself wasn't part of the lineup the whole time, then the chain broke at Killua -> Kalluto.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

:doh:

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax
As far as the Zoldycks are concerned, Alluka is Nanika and Nanika is genderless because Nanika is not a person.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Yeah having multiple entities of differing species in the same body is where you need to start going to tumblr to find sufficiently specific terminology.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

It's an abomination.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

The only place where I can kind of understand that is Killua's bit. Killua's powers in general are pretty shounen, and currently are a bit overpowered provided he has charged up (I honestly don't see how most people could even begin to counter him, since he moves faster than even someone of Youpi's tier can follow, and Youpi was only okay due to his ridiculous super-human resilience).That might be part of the reason he's excluded from this current arc.

Did they ever state if he's actually storing up electricity when he shocks himself, or does he just have to expose himself to enough electricity to feel like he's "charged" up? I remember when he first started practicing with the taser he was creating a mental image with the electricity, and later on in greed island he uses the electricity without seemingly charging beforehand. I'm almost certain him needing to expose himself to an electric current is just the condition to his ability.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I decided to get on the bandwagon of watching the anime (2011) for the first time and the whole anagram thing at the end of the GI arc is... hilariously unfortunate.

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013
I always thought that Alluka's situation was based on a Japanese superstition about how a child's gender affects curses. IIRC, curses, evil spirits et al are supposed to prefer to target boys over girls, so children who are treated and raised as girls (regardless of their real gender) are less affected by them. That's brought up in Jojolion, as the explanation for why the firstborn children of the Higashikata family are always raised as girls, and I think something similar regarding childhood names is mentioned in Golden Kamuy.

That roughly fits with how the different members of the family view Nanika. Killua thinks that Alluka is being possessed by Nanika and wants to free her from it, so he refers to her as a girl. The other Zoldyck children are only interested in getting wishes from Nanika, so they refer to Alluka as a boy, to keep the possession going. The older members of the Zoldyck family are more cautious than their children, but they still want to take advantage of Nanika, so they refer to her more neutrally.

Jo Joestar fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Feb 14, 2017

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that's an interesting interpretation

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I decided to get on the bandwagon of watching the anime (2011) for the first time and the whole anagram thing at the end of the GI arc is... hilariously unfortunate.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how the dub handles that.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Ytlaya posted:

The only place where I can kind of understand that is Killua's bit. Killua's powers in general are pretty shounen, and currently are a bit overpowered provided he has charged up (I honestly don't see how most people could even begin to counter him, since he moves faster than even someone of Youpi's tier can follow, and Youpi was only okay due to his ridiculous super-human resilience).That might be part of the reason he's excluded from this current arc.

it's an assassination power, not very flexible unless he can prepare. It's hard for him to fight versus stuff like Morau's deep purple, stuff which just sticks to you.
Even people like Cow Zodiac can probably shut him down, at least for a bit, but straight up in a fight its going to suck for most of the cast.

the question is can he fight hisoka yet? Im going with no

in future writing it can easily be written in a way that killua has to protect a certain objective, cannot get juiced up enough, has to conserve energy or the like. Or even being ambushed right after a fight when he's low on energy after dominating some scrub.

his dad must be proud, he really perfected a selfish hit and run killer technique

Wild Horses fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Feb 14, 2017

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I bet he's still slower than Netero's hands

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

tweet my meat posted:

I'm really looking forward to seeing how the dub handles that.

They localised it as Ngig in the licensed manga, so I would imagine they're either cutting the frames where the original anagram is there in the latin alphabet or they're going to ask Madhouse to swap it up? Seems like they probably wouldn't bother though after so long...

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Wild Horses posted:

it's an assassination power, not very flexible unless he can prepare. It's hard for him to fight versus stuff like Morau's deep purple, stuff which just sticks to you.
Even people like Cow Zodiac can probably shut him down, at least for a bit, but straight up in a fight its going to suck for most of the cast.

in future writing it can easily be written in a way that killua has to protect a certain objective, cannot get juiced up enough, has to conserve energy or the like. Or even being ambushed right after a fight when he's low on energy after dominating some scrub.

his dad must be proud, he really perfected a selfish hit and run killer technique

you say that as though the manga will have enough chapters to ever get back to killua

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Does show off how much an rear end in a top hat Ging is tho

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

EmmyOk posted:

Lemme tell you about my friend Cheetu...

Yeah, but Cheetu is a retard; he would have been super strong if he could learn to fight correctly and not be stupid. And he was also physically very weak, to the point where his attacks did very little damage to Knuckle/Morau.

It seems like the only abilities that can handle Killua are ones which cause some consequence to an attacker. Hisoka could probably handle Killua by sticking his Bungee Gum to him whenever Killua first hits him and then using that to control his movements, and someone like Chrollo probably has some ability up his sleeves that could deal with him. But anyone else would basically be at Killua's mercy.

Brought To You By posted:

Did they ever state if he's actually storing up electricity when he shocks himself, or does he just have to expose himself to enough electricity to feel like he's "charged" up? I remember when he first started practicing with the taser he was creating a mental image with the electricity, and later on in greed island he uses the electricity without seemingly charging beforehand. I'm almost certain him needing to expose himself to an electric current is just the condition to his ability.

I believe he has to charge up to use his "super fast electro-dude" ability, and even then it runs out very fast. I think he can use much less electricity by just relying on his body.

Wild Horses posted:

Yeah, my argument was mostly about Killua being invincible in a strict one on one fight unless the opponent has something to directly counter his ability (like Hisoka, who would definitely still beat Killua). In any sort of extended confrontation (like the one at the end of the Chimera Ant arc) he has to budget the use of his electricity.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Feb 15, 2017

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I'm still not sure his ability is as OP as you're making out because he still has to overwhelm their Ryu(?) every time he hits them. Against enhancers or even just advanced users like the Ryodan it could end up looking a lot like him hitting Youpi nine thousand times and not doing much damage. Right now it still looks like he needs to "charge up" unless I'm remembering stuff. Also his preprogrammed reflexes could be exploited by users with more hand to hand experience. Knuckle could also be very dangerous to him and even people like Pouf and Morau who affect your breathing would really make life hard for him. Doing what he did to Youpi to Feitan would lead to a really great Pain Packer too. Maybe it is a really OP ability but so far we haven't seen nearly enough of it to know how hard it's time limit is and how someone would deal with it if Killua didn't immediately run away just as his opponent was having fun.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Like look how close Hisoka vs the man with infinite abilites and the perfect arena was, it's hard to predict how nen fights can play out even when one person seems way less powerful than the other.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

Like look how close Hisoka vs the man with infinite abilites and the perfect arena was, it's hard to predict how nen fights can play out even when one person seems way less powerful than the other.

Hisoka is one of the strongest nen users in the story, there's only a tiny handful of characters who could have taken him out 100% and the only ones I'm truly prepared to name are Youpi, Netero, and Meruem.

And he possibly could have taken Netero if the old guy had been in a mood to play around and not packed a small nuke on a dead man switch.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I'm not disputing how strong Hisoka is I'm saying that on the surface his abilities seems far less useful and powerful than someone like Chrollo or the guards but he has consistently proven to be one of the strongest character's we've met. Lmao if you think he'd have anything for my big strong boy Netero though.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Hey man even Netero admitted he had gone soft and Hisoka is too tricky to go soft on. Like if Netero were to have used his full on nen slap-buddha from the start then neither rubber nor gum could have helped Hisoka, but Netero probably wouldn't have because he was old and soft.

e: But yeah Bungee Gum is a really weak ability on paper and super easy to underestimate, but it's definitely the ability that suits a sneaky dude who plays with his victims like Hisoka.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The Chairman loved playing around and literally had Pariston as his Vice-Chairman who existed solely to gently caress with him, I'm sure he'd be fine. Even if he's no longer in his prime he was literally the strongest Nen user on the planet at one point, travelled the Dark Continent for fun, and lead the Hunter organisation for god knows how long.

e: Also when Hisoka tried to rile him on the airship it was Hisoka who got wound up

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

EmmyOk posted:

I'm still not sure his ability is as OP as you're making out because he still has to overwhelm their Ryu(?) every time he hits them. Against enhancers or even just advanced users like the Ryodan it could end up looking a lot like him hitting Youpi nine thousand times and not doing much damage. Right now it still looks like he needs to "charge up" unless I'm remembering stuff. Also his preprogrammed reflexes could be exploited by users with more hand to hand experience. Knuckle could also be very dangerous to him and even people like Pouf and Morau who affect your breathing would really make life hard for him. Doing what he did to Youpi to Feitan would lead to a really great Pain Packer too. Maybe it is a really OP ability but so far we haven't seen nearly enough of it to know how hard it's time limit is and how someone would deal with it if Killua didn't immediately run away just as his opponent was having fun.

Yeah, but Youpi was way more durable than any hunter alive, and Killua's attacks were still hurting him some (at the very least he wasn't able to ignore them). I don't think any hunters could take those hits without suffering significant damage, especially since he'd be moving too fast to effectively coordinate their nen defense (since Youpi is also faster than almost every hunter alive).

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, but Youpi was way more durable than any hunter alive, and Killua's attacks were still hurting him some (at the very least he wasn't able to ignore them). I don't think any hunters could take those hits without suffering significant damage, especially since he'd be moving too fast to effectively coordinate their nen defense (since Youpi is also faster than almost every hunter alive).

We really don't know how hard Youpi was being hit or if he was even covering himself with any aura when he was being hit. It is a very powerful ability but considering other people with powerful abilities who have easily lost to people with weaker abilities and the fact that we've barely seen it and what we did see had limits it's hard to agree that it's OP.

e: Also is Youpi faster than most hunters? I'm not saying he isn't but I don't remember him being ridiculously fast like Pitou was.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
ants were innately faster and stronger than anyone who wasn't really good at enhancing. human nen users are still human, you know?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

EmmyOk posted:

Uh the fight was super one sided in Chrollo's favor. Hisoka lost the second he lost track of Chrollo in the crowd.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

EmmyOk posted:

We really don't know how hard Youpi was being hit or if he was even covering himself with any aura when he was being hit. It is a very powerful ability but considering other people with powerful abilities who have easily lost to people with weaker abilities and the fact that we've barely seen it and what we did see had limits it's hard to agree that it's OP.

e: Also is Youpi faster than most hunters? I'm not saying he isn't but I don't remember him being ridiculously fast like Pitou was.

Youpi's attacks, at least, were super fast, to the point where Shoot could only barely dodge them when using his ~ultimate form~ while flying around on his hand. Given that Pitou is probably faster than any hunter aside from like Netero/Chrollo (and other people of that tier), even if Youpi isn't quite as fast as him he's still faster than most hunters.

Don't get me wrong, there are definitely hunters with nen abilities that could counter Killua's (like Hisoka), but if they don't happen to have something that directly counters him they'd be pretty much hosed as long as he started the fight charged up. Which is in contrast to someone like Gon, who has a pretty useful and strong ability, but not the sort of thing that is an auto-win if your opponent doesn't have something that counters it.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Killua also has lightning-infused attacks. That's part of why he was actually hurting Youpi (as little as he was) if I recall correctly; he was burning his cells away with each strike. (Unless I'm thinking of a different fight; looking at stuff I might be thinking of Pouf and that wasn't a factor with Youpi. Either way, he briefly paralyzed Youpi with electricity so it's probably effective against normal people as well.) I think electricity might at least do some damage even against people protecting themselves with nen. He's also close to Enhancement on the hexagon so he's not weak there either, even if he won't match a dedicated Enhancer, so it's not like everyone can just tank him even if you set aside the electricity as a source of damage as well as speed.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Uh the fight was super one sided in Chrollo's favor. Hisoka lost the second he lost track of Chrollo in the crowd.

It wasn't really a fight even. Chrollo set a trap, Hisoka walked right into it, and it went off pretty much exactly how it was meant to.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Feb 15, 2017

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

im still gonna call it Hisoka's win because in the end he is cooler

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

They had a fight to the death and neither of them are dead, last I checked.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Machi straight up says "Pick your battles and opponent more wisely from now on" after Hisoka stops being dead, which obviously means "you can win if the situation favours you".

Then Hisoka was all "yeah okay i'll just go gank people like a rogue in 2004 WoW" 'cos he's the best boy

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

NecroMonster posted:

They had a fight to the death and neither of them are dead, last I checked.

No, but Hisoka died, then the fight ended.

He later stopped being dead, but he did lose the fight (and admitted such, I believe).

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
I mean he was always going to. Chrollo ran around setting up the fight beforehand so there was no way he could possibly lose and Hisoka went in blind. He even put up a helluva fight and I don't think any other ability than Bungee Gum could've dealt with the onslaught of abilities Chrollo prepared especially for him as well as it did.

Now he knows never to let his opponent prepare so extensively ever again.

But as to the who would win debate, Morel already explained this. You don't know how Nen battles will go because 95% of the time you won't know what your opponent can do and so straight up comparing powers is pointless. I mean for example do you really think a guy like Leol had a chance in hell against Morel if he hadn't prepared to meet to meet him in a church basement where his stolen ability could be used to full effect? That's how Nen battles go in this series, there is no straight up simple fight where one person is just stronger by default.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I want Hisoka to put Texture Surprise on Chrollo's book and see how it plays out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
did the hisoka side chapter ever get released with the art finished?