Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Capitus Von Doom posted:

I have recently been watching old NFL videos(around 90's and early 2000's era) and I noticed that the fields don't use the same turf that they use today. I also noticed that they aren't wearing cleats. Does anyone know what those old fields were made of?

Bits of brain matter and discarded tendons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Capitus Von Doom posted:

I have recently been watching old NFL videos(around 90's and early 2000's era) and I noticed that the fields don't use the same turf that they use today. I also noticed that they aren't wearing cleats. Does anyone know what those old fields were made of?

astroturf probably

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Favorite Moss TDs were the punt return and the screen vs the Titans where he ran right between three guys

How often did Moss return punts? And I don't he think he burned the Eagles :smug:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Azhais posted:

astroturf probably

Yeah old school astroturf was kind of a carpet of green stuff over (insufficient) padding. It was more like a basketball court than grass, so guys wore sneakers while playing on it.

Artificial playing surfaces now are...at least closer to natural as far as running on them goes. They have their own problems of course (rubber pellets getting into your eyes seems really annoying), but overall I'd guess it's an improvement.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Feb 14, 2017

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Grittybeard posted:

Artificial playing surfaces now are...at least closer to natural as far as running on them goes. They have their own problems of course (rubber pellets getting into your eyes seems really annoying), but overall I'd guess it's an improvement.

I remember back in college playing lacrosse on a turf field and a week later digging out one of these black pellets from an ear fold in the shower.

I hated playing on turf.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
When I played American football in England, we weren't exactly high up the totem pole in terms of access to training facilities. So we had one of our weekly sessions on a hockey astroturf. One of the old sand based ones.

Sand got everywhere, and it's a miracle I have any skin left on my elbows.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Mother fucker

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Capitus Von Doom posted:

Good old astroturf

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
astroturf was basically thin carpet on top of concrete.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I always hated finding those damned rubber pellets everywhere after games. Still better than astrotruf.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
:drat:

https://twitter.com/thinkprogress/status/831314764823482368

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, apparently half the players scheduled to go have cancelled so far.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

I'm pretty skeptical Martellus Bennett is going to be a Patriot next season. He's going to be 30 this year, he's got his ring, time to cash in.

Me too, but on the other hand, he LOVES New England. His Twitter is full of posts about how he loves the people up here and being part of the team. If the Pats will pay him, I expect him to go at least one more season and funnel the cash into his kids book company.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

My general principle: Athletes should stay out of politics and politicians should stay out of sports.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Turdsdown Tom posted:

Me too, but on the other hand, he LOVES New England. His Twitter is full of posts about how he loves the people up here and being part of the team. If the Pats will pay him, I expect him to go at least one more season and funnel the cash into his kids book company.

Hate to break it to ya man but that's what most players are like on SM. He was praising the Giants and NY for his year here and then he went to Chicago and instantly switched to Chi-town praise. The guy isn't dumb, he isn't going to say meh about his current team/town

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Oh of course, I realize it's PR, I just think he does actually like it enough to take Kraft's money for one more year, especially considering his endgoal is to become a full time kids book author or whatever the gently caress he actually does at that company

Again, this only matters if the Pats are willing to pay him, and it isn't exactly rare for Kraft to play some serious hardball with good players when it comes to contracts. I don't think they'll offer him what he's looking for if he ends up looking for that extra cash.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

GaussianCopula posted:

My general principle: Athletes should stay out of politics and politicians should stay out of sports.

Nah. People, including athletes, should express their beliefs so I can judge them easier.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

GaussianCopula posted:

Yeah but you're a huge loving idiot so

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Febreeze posted:

Hate to break it to ya man but that's what most players are like on SM. He was praising the Giants and NY for his year here and then he went to Chicago and instantly switched to Chi-town praise. The guy isn't dumb, he isn't going to say meh about his current team/town

Bennett seems to genuinely have less friction with management at NE than he did anywhere else. I don't think that buys the Patriots much, if any, discount - just that he actually did fit in well.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

GaussianCopula posted:

Why should athletes be different than any other profession?

edit: actually, this stance is even dumber than I originally thought. Consider the role athletes played in things like the civil rights movement.

Ehud fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Feb 14, 2017

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I hate it when people express their rights to discuss the direction this country, and the world, is headed, too.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

evilweasel posted:

Bennett seems to genuinely have less friction with management at NE than he did anywhere else. I don't think that buys the Patriots much, if any, discount - just that he actually did fit in well.

Bennett is happy when he wins - which is why he had no friction in NE. Once his team loses, the finger pointing starts.

Ehud posted:

Why should athletes be different than any other profession?

I'm happy to hear the thoughts of athletes on matters that impact their profession (e.g. that bill the NFLPA is fighting over with the Bears owners) but other than that I'm not more interested in their opinions than I am in the opinion of some waitress.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

when will we get our first antifathlete :rolleyes:

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Some waitress has just as valid an opinion you dingbat.

Do you not loving understand democracy it's literally our civic loving duty to discuss this poo poo

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

GaussianCopula posted:

I'm happy to hear the thoughts of athletes on matters that impact their profession (e.g. that bill the NFLPA is fighting over with the Bears owners) but other than that I'm not more interested in their opinions than I am in the opinion of some waitress.

What about athletes who were involved in the civil rights movement in very public ways?

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

GaussianCopula posted:

I agree. I'm especially uninterested in what European skinheads think about American politics

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
You realize we elect people to then make decisions about things they have literally zero experience in?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

no politics for me - man who might as well be an extra from idiocracy

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

swickles posted:

You realize we elect people to then make decisions about things they have literally zero experience in?

GC is a nazi so maybe he doesn't even know what democracy is.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

swickles posted:

we have to get tough on the cyber

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

GaussianCopula posted:

And also vice versa

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

GaussianCopula posted:

Who is allowed to have an opinion on politics in your world?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Turdsdown Tom posted:

What have you seen to lead you to believe this will happen

Aside from Brady and Gronk I'm trying to think of who the Patriots paid their real value for any amount of time (Revis doesn't count, that was a rental, and hell Brady isn't making as much as he should really)

GaussianCopula posted:

"Stick to sports" I tell the athlete as I prepare my own political diatribe

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Intruder posted:

"Stick to sports" I tell the athlete as I prepare my own political diatribe

Stay in your lane Intruder.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
IN GENERAL I don't personally care what athletes think about anything. Most of them are idiots about anything important in the world (like most people in general.)

That doesn't mean the athletes who aren't morons should be shouted down for trying to use their fame and fortune for good causes, though. Just because MOST of their opinions on important issues are dumb white noise doesn't mean the world would be better off if they ALL shut up.

I dunno, I tried to have a hot take there and it came out boring. :effort:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

whypick1 posted:

Stay in your lane Intruder.

Getting cut off makes me insane

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

sean10mm posted:

IN GENERAL I don't personally care what athletes think about anything. Most of them are idiots about anything important in the world (like most people in general.)

That doesn't mean the athletes who aren't morons should be shouted down for trying to use their fame and fortune for good causes, though. Just because MOST of their opinions on important issues are dumb white noise doesn't mean the world would be better off if they ALL shut up.

I dunno, I tried to have a hot take there and it came out boring. :effort:

The general principle seems to be "If (celebrity/athlete) says something I don't like he or she should stick to being a celebrity or athlete"

That's why conservatives love Ted Nugent/Curt Schilling but think Alec Baldwin/Martellus Bennett should shut up and vice versa

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
waitresses...teh

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

go go go go ROSCOE! posted:

waitresses...teh

loving uppity peasants.

Know your place drat it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Muhammad Ali spins slowly in his grave while vibrating rapidly from side to side, doing his best impression of a Rabbit.

GaussianCopula posted:

You are speaking up for Israel?:psyboom:

• Locked thread