Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

baquerd posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHi3egU7Y_k&t=395s

Fun video in general, the machete and shovel near the industrial band saw caught my eye, with of course no real PPE.

Is it OSHA safe if you have to weld two saws together just to cut the tree down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit

:magical:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Earlier in this thread I joked about the US only having three dam safety inspectors and blamed that on why the Oroville Dam is currently failing.

However, I have since visited the sites for the American Society of Civil Engineers and Association of State Dam Safety Officials and found that I was in error.

There are 8 inspectors.

But it's not as bad as that might seem - that's a whole 8 inspectors per state!

Also the US has 84,000 dams with an average age of 52 years.

The overall number of high-hazard dams, as of 2012, was almost 14,000.

So there're an entire 400 inspectors to check all those half century old dams.

Or, to put it another way - that's a mere 210 dams per inspector.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Gorilla Salad posted:

Earlier in this thread I joked about the US only having three dam safety inspectors and blamed that on why the Oroville Dam is currently failing.

However, I have since visited the sites for the American Society of Civil Engineers and Association of State Dam Safety Officials and found that I was in error.

There are 8 inspectors.

That means that each dam would be inspected every five years or less, assuming they spend a week at each one. Seems reasonable.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I mean, yeah, the problem with americas crumbling infrastructure isn't for lack if it being inspected. All of it gets inspected to hell and back, it just that once the reports are turned in, the beancounters go "Sorry, no money.", and poo poo is left to rot.

We joke in this thread about "it ain't worth fixing until somebody dies", but that is literally americas policy these days on infrastructure spending. "Oh, it could go bad in the future? gently caress it, it's the present, not my problem or my money."

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Gorilla Salad posted:

Earlies in this thread I joked about the US only having three dam safety inspectors and blamed that on why the big dam is currently failing.

There are 8 inspectors.

The overall number of high-hazard dams, as of 2012 was almost 14,000.

So there's an entire 400 inspectors to check all those half century old dams.

Jesus and they're made out of concrete. this may seem obvious to some but concrete fatigues under load and has to be repaired. Maybe less obvious is that a dam may be able to withstand a full resevoir the first time, the second time, the 10^n times. But repeated loads reduce the maximum allowable stress over time

Basically this (this is not the graph for concrete), just an example.

I'm just highlighting how important dam inspection will be as the years progress. This dam seems to be failing due to erosion, which is pretty alarming since no inspection can prevent that, it just is very poorly planned

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I mean, yeah, the problem with americas crumbling infrastructure isn't for lack if it being inspected. All of it gets inspected to hell and back, it just that once the reports are turned in, the beancounters go "Sorry, no money.", and poo poo is left to rot.

We joke in this thread about "it ain't worth fixing until somebody dies", but that is literally americas policy these days on infrastructure spending. "Oh, it could go bad in the future? gently caress it, it's the present, not my problem or my money."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjfrJzdx7DA

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Is it OSHA safe if you have to weld two saws together just to cut the tree down?

I'm guessing they felled the tree with some other method, then cut a smoother cross section once it was already down with that saw.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I should have also linked to the American Society of Civil Engineers' Report Card on US Infrastructure which is a chilling loving read.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Feb 14, 2017

holy penis worship
Feb 14, 2017

by Smythe

Gorilla Salad posted:

I should have also linked to the American Society of Civil Engineers' Report Card on US Infrastructure which is a chilling loving read.

i am here from https://www.tribalwar.com/forums

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Feb 14, 2017

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Thanks for posting your dick pic, I guess.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
https://twitter.com/CA_DWR/status/831294424973930496

Someone explain to me as a layman why they're fixing the embankment of the washed-away road before focusing on the immediate base of the emergency spillway, where they said the problem was?

Or is the breach of the road and the erosion carving through it what they meant, and I'm just misunderstanding this?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

OSHA 0 days since the last dick pic

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Someone explain to me as a layman why they're fixing the embankment of the washed-away road before focusing on the immediate base of the emergency spillway, where they said the problem was?

Or is the breach of the road and the erosion carving through it what they meant, and I'm just misunderstanding this?

Maybe fixing the road is the best way to get the heavy equipment they need up to the spillway? They have to drop everything in by helicopter, otherwise.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Just a guess but they might be fixing the road so they can get equipment to the spillway.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Duzzy Funlop posted:

all that torn up ground and the embankment of the road IS the emergency spillway. the problem with water erosion is that it starts in a spot and then heads upstream. the most critical part is the part at the top, the spillway lip

the main spillway, the concrete structure, is the part that has a hosed up base

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
here's a different angle

the big hole that washed out the road is the problem. if that continues to erode it could undermine the concrete lip of the spillway and then everyone has a real lovely day

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

boner confessor posted:

here's a different angle

the big hole that washed out the road is the problem. if that continues to erode it could undermine the concrete lip of the spillway and then everyone has a real lovely day

Got it, that's what I was kinda looking for.

So they're going to try to solidify and reinforce the steepest part of that newly-created ravine so any future erosion isn't focused on one spot just below that 1600-foot spillway?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Got it, that's what I was kinda looking for.

So they're going to try to solidify and reinforce the steepest part of that newly-created ravine so any future erosion isn't focused on one spot just below that 1600-foot spillway?

yeah, they have two days and counting to plug that hole with enough poo poo that any water release erodes a different part of the hillside that isn't right under the concrete edge of the spillway

you can see in those close up pics where they've already put down some new concrete

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
We need some of that nazi super concrete from wolfenstein.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

No. Felling a giant tree while pregnant though? Totally OSHA safe.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I'm loving the very obvious "We welded two saws together" spot in the middle of that giant sawblade.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Gorilla Salad posted:

Solid waste gets a B- because it's the industry that gets poo poo on the hardest by everyone so they spend a lot more money keeping everything running smoothly.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer

Gorilla Salad posted:

Uh "D+" isn't a GPA, "American Society of Civil Engineers" if that is your real name...

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ornamented Death posted:

Solid waste gets a B- because it's the industry that gets poo poo on the hardest by everyone so they spend a lot more money keeping everything running smoothly.

it's almost entirely privatized so it's not dependent on polticians who forever defer funds

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

boner confessor posted:

it's almost entirely privatized so it's not dependent on polticians who forever defer funds

It's been my experience that budgets are much, much better when working on municipal and county landfills as opposed to privately-owned sites.

Edit: And it's exactly because the sites are owned by cities and counties, as opposed to states or the federal government. It's a lot easier to get approval for a bond when people visit the landfill on a regular basis to drop off their trash.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I don't get the logistics of this.

How did the trunk not clamp down on the blade 3/4s of the way through sawing? Did they do an angle cut?

Or did they fell the tree, and thats just a cross section after they cut it while it was laying down?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

blarzgh posted:

I don't get the logistics of this.

How did the trunk not clamp down on the blade 3/4s of the way through sawing? Did they do an angle cut?

Or did they fell the tree, and thats just a cross section after they cut it while it was laying down?

You can see the marks on the top of the log where they drove wedges into the cut to keep it open as they sawed.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

Gorilla Salad posted:

Well hopefully the ones left are the best, back in the day my family had an inspector refuse to sign off on a 10 ft high dam (maybe 10 ft across? Just a guess) on a stream unless they put an expansion joint right in the middle. Guess where it finally failed? I know, other factors at play but dam.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Deteriorata posted:

You can see the marks on the top of the log where they drove wedges into the cut to keep it open as they sawed.

Question: answered.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

That's nothing: look at the size of this chicken:

spog fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Feb 15, 2017

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Deteriorata posted:

That means that each dam would be inspected every five years or less, assuming they spend a week at each one. Seems reasonable.

The vast majority of dam inspection is by telemetry, using vibrating wire piezometers and strain gauges (all telemetered) to keep a continuous eye on seepage and deformation. If nothing is found to be deficient, it usually takes a day or two to inspect a dam. Generally the inspector is the qualified engineer; he or she will usually be assisted by people who are on the payroll as "general labour" or similar.

ethanol posted:

Jesus and they're made out of concrete. this may seem obvious to some but concrete fatigues under load and has to be repaired. Maybe less obvious is that a dam may be able to withstand a full resevoir the first time, the second time, the 10^n times. But repeated loads reduce the maximum allowable stress over time

Basically this (this is not the graph for concrete), just an example.

I'm just highlighting how important dam inspection will be as the years progress. This dam seems to be failing due to erosion, which is pretty alarming since no inspection can prevent that, it just is very poorly planned

Concrete has a flexure limit. So long as your dam (or other concrete structure) is designed to keep the concrete under this limit, it won't fatigue. This dam is an earth wall dam with a clay core. What will be fun is older multistory carparks and bridges which were not designed around literally everyone driving 2+ tonne trucks.

Erosive flows are an issue any time a dam is overtopped; in this case, it was a secondary saddle that was being overtopped and eroded, not the main dam. The erosion of the saddle is an issue but its failure would be akin to a fuse plug, and prevent overtopping to the main body of the dam thereby avoiding significantly worse failure. Concrete dams are also subject to failure this way, generally through scouring of the abutments and toe.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Need to point out here that "high hazard" doesn't automatically denote that the dam is at-risk. Dam hazard classifications are based on the outcome of dam break failure, not the probability of a dam-break failure; the hazard classification will be used in determining things like maximum design inflow at TWL (e.g. a low-risk dam might only have a 1:100 spillway). ANCOLD will tell you more on the topic than you're ever likely to want to know but they'll also charge you $200 for the book; tellingly they start with a disclaimer that if you follow their advice to the letter and bad things happen, that's on you.

boner confessor posted:

here's a different angle

Hope one of you owns a shotcreting company.

That still looks like the saddle. I'll be interested how the main spillway looks once it's dry. As has been said, fixing the road lets you get equipment where it's needed to effect repairs on the toe of the spillway apron, which is why it gets fixed (to a pretty low value of 'fixed') first.

VVV: The concrete apron to the left of the photo I quoted is the crest of the emergency spillway/saddle dam, and the thing that I'm talking about accessing. The other option is to repair it off a barge.

IPCRESS fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Feb 15, 2017

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

IPCRESS posted:

Hope one of you owns a shotcreting company.

That still looks like the saddle. I'll be interested how the main spillway looks once it's dry. As has been said, fixing the road lets you get equipment where it's needed to effect repairs on the toe of the spillway apron, which is why it gets fixed (to a pretty low value of 'fixed') first.

according to google maps, the washed out road just leads to a public boat ramp. from the perspective of that aerial image, there are plenty of access roads allowing to the main spillway on the far side of it

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

spog posted:

That's nothing: look at the size of this chicken:

I don't know if having a huge cock is an OSHA violation

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

boner confessor posted:

yeah, they have two days and counting to plug that hole with enough poo poo that any water release erodes a different part of the hillside that isn't right under the concrete edge of the spillway

you can see in those close up pics where they've already put down some new concrete

This is from Monday evening. That...does not seem like a lot of accomplishment since they vowed airdropping rocks 24 hours earlier...

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Duzzy Funlop posted:

This is from Monday evening. That...does not seem like a lot of accomplishment since they vowed airdropping rocks 24 hours earlier...

I was watching news yesterday and one of the helicopter pilots made it a point to mention they had to wait a full day to start the airlifts because the state hadn't given the go ahead. "We were ready Sunday."

Also I'm not sure when this is from, I think earlier Tuesday

I'm not an engineer or anything but I don't see that concrete doing much if they laid it on top of a leak.

Edit: Also I didn't realize the damage came from only 5% of what the emergency spillway was supposed to be able to handle.

Space Crabs fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Feb 15, 2017

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Dams are dumb as hell

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Rain's gonna start up again tomorrow night and continue for at least two days so I sure hope they've got a plan :toot:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

ethanol posted:

Dams are dumb as hell

no more almonds for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Space Crabs posted:

I was watching news yesterday and one of the helicopter pilots made it a point to mention they had to wait a full day to start the airlifts because the state hadn't given the go ahead. "We were ready Sunday."

Also I'm not sure when this is from, I think earlier Tuesday

I'm not an engineer or anything but I don't see that concrete doing much if they laid it on top of a leak.

Edit: Also I didn't realize the damage came from only 5% of what the emergency spillway was supposed to be able to handle.

Also, someone said earlier they had already seen new concrete being poured, referring to an image that showed the circled section, albeit from a different angle.

That section, however, had already been poured as a last-ditch effort in the 1-2 days before the emergency spillway even overflowed. So progress seems pretty drat slow as of at least this morning. And the state not giving the go ahead to fix a loving disaster waiting to happen seems perfectly reasonable. Bonus points if the holdup was due to the NOTAM issued earlier. (Then again, I cannot, for the life of me, imagine that it would have grounded emergency aircraft as well)