Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

MiddleOne posted:

It's 2017, it exists as assets held by holding companies in these countries. All of that poo poo can be seized or reclaimed through fines. The issue of tax heavens is not a practical one, it's political. :v:

Except that the funds themselves are not actually held in the Cayman Islands, only the legal entity documentation - the funds are in countries that still have bank secrecy laws (after the UBS leak led to Switzerland having to give that up).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Horseshoe theory posted:

Except that the funds themselves are not actually held in the Cayman Islands, only the legal entity documentation - the funds are in countries that still have bank secrecy laws (after the UBS leak led to Switzerland having to give that up).

I'm pretty sure a Marine Expeditionary Force landing on your shores would be one way of getting a country to give up their bank secrecy laws

I mean i'm sure there are others too

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Goddamn, that was fast:

Google Cancels PewDiePie's Upcoming Series, Removes Him from Preferred Ad System

How loving stupid do you have to be to throw that gravy train into a ditch? You literally sit around, play games, and make funny sounds.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

FilthyImp posted:

Goddamn, that was fast:

Google Cancels PewDiePie's Upcoming Series, Removes Him from Preferred Ad System

How loving stupid do you have to be to throw that gravy train into a ditch? You literally sit around, play games, and make funny sounds.

What people often forget is that PewDiePie is the son of one of the richest men in Sweden, and his mother was also a rather wealthy CEO in her own right. So basically all of his career is for funsies, because if he completely bombs out of it all he's already got millions in the bank, before you count any of the money he earned on Youtube.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
More like Poopiedie, right fellas?

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Kind of ironic considering, you know, Disney.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Kind of the opposite of ironic, though. Kind of like getting a job promoting Samsung phones and then posting arsonist videos.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

pangstrom posted:

Kind of the opposite of ironic, though. Kind of like getting a job promoting Samsung phones and then posting arsonist videos.

The ironic part is that a guy who described getting killed repeatedly in a game as being raped in one of his videos got a deal with Disney I think (unless that didn't happen but I could have sworn it did)

I mean really kudos for booting him but uhhhhhhhhh

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

FilthyImp posted:

Goddamn, that was fast:

He's always had that problem to some degree though. I remember when he became a thing the LP community went after him because his comedy was built on rape jokes. Eventually he apologized and supposedly stopped doing it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

FlamingLiberal posted:

He's always had that problem to some degree though. I remember when he became a thing the LP community went after him because his comedy was built on rape jokes. Eventually he apologized and supposedly stopped doing it.

It wasn't rape jokes, he would literally just shout rape repeatedly and for no reason.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

fishmech posted:

It wasn't rape jokes, he would literally just shout rape repeatedly and for no reason.

Retsupurae can confirm

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

fishmech posted:

What people often forget is that PewDiePie is the son of one of the richest men in Sweden, and his mother was also a rather wealthy CEO in her own right. So basically all of his career is for funsies, because if he completely bombs out of it all he's already got millions in the bank, before you count any of the money he earned on Youtube.

I didn't know that, but in retrospective that explains a lot.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Randler posted:

I didn't know that, but in retrospective that explains a lot.

He dropped out of the closest thing Sweden has to a CEO programme when he started youtubing, he's as old money as they get without being actual nobility.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

I guess that explains how he was able to parlay being a fairly average LP guy into so many big media partnerships. Already being rich buys you a lot of access to people that can make you successful.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

Baby Babbeh posted:

I guess that explains how he was able to parlay being a fairly average LP guy into so many big media partnerships. Already being rich buys you a lot of access to people that can make you successful.

or he was stupidly successful at LP and it took off

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Landsknecht posted:

or he was stupidly successful at LP and it took off

In large part because he could afford to not have a normal job for the literal years it took before he started making enough money for a normal person to no longer have a job, through YouTube.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/ReutersTech/status/831598016607944704

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

fishmech posted:

I didn't even know this to begin with

Explains a lot

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I didn't even know this to begin with

Explains a lot

It really does. Meanwhile the McElroys are building an empire based mostly off of positivity and genuine enjoyment of the things they're doing. I'm kind of glad they're starting to influence the tone of humor on the internet because poo poo has been way too negative for a very long time and suddenly something new is catching on.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

fishmech posted:

What people often forget is that PewDiePie is the son of one of the richest men in Sweden, and his mother was also a rather wealthy CEO in her own right.
Totally didn't know this and it completely fucks with the idea that "Talented person with some time some creativity and a camera" can become a million-dollar YT superceleb. Which is why I totally see how underreported it is.

Next thing you'll tell me is that Rosanna Pansino is some kind of Pillsbury dutchess.

Anyway, has there been any indication this is hurting YT Red? I know they were banking on PDP for like 2 shows.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

FilthyImp posted:

Totally didn't know this and it completely fucks with the idea that "Talented person with some time some creativity and a camera" can become a million-dollar YT superceleb.

How does being the son of a CEO give you an advantage in youtubing?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

sarehu posted:

-networking opportunities with vlog stars and network admins
-infinite time to sit around vlogging
-can buy toys and poo poo to vlog about
-can afford high end in home vlog studio

really anything you want to do in life is easier if you dont have to worry about maintaining a job to feed yourself and you have a huge budget to play with

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

sarehu posted:

you have to make better troll posts than this its too obvious

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
It's a pretty minimal advantage. You've still gotta be good at youtubing.

He had to sell art and work at a hot dog stand in order to fund things. Edit:

quote:

After he dropped out of Chalmers, his parents refused to support him,[28] and as a result he funded his early videos by selling prints of his Photoshop art, as well as working at a hot dog stand.[19][43]

So there you go.

sarehu fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Feb 14, 2017

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Yeah and if he failed he would have been homeless and destitute like normal poor people

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Didn't slowbeef relax his opinion on pewdiepie recently. Recall him saying he wasn't so bad and a decent let's player. You could say he's pandering to his fan base with his rape jokes and anti Semitism but is that an excuse.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

sarehu posted:

He had to sell art and work at a hot dog stand in order to fund things. Edit:

So there you go.

yeah it's a regular rags to riches story after he dropped out of the best technical university in sweden

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

sarehu posted:

He had to sell art and work at a hot dog stand in order to fund things.

No, it's a pretty huge advantage to building a youtube following when you can afford to put out videos constantly because you don't have to work a job besides it.

He did not have to do that, he already had tons of money. His parents refused to give him extra money to pay for the Youtube poo poo on top of all the other money he already had and received from them.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

sarehu posted:

It's a pretty minimal advantage.

Having an entirely subsidized first world rich person existence, plus all startup costs, plus access to every network opportunity family wealth affords sure is a minimal advantage. It's a wonder he survived that harrowing time in his life and made it to where he is, really. I can't even begin to imagine what it's like to have to work at a hot dog stand for a summer in Sweden.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
It was never a rags to riches story. It's just not something having rich parents helps with. Most people in Norway or Sweden or whatever had the means to do it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

sarehu posted:

It was never a rags to riches story. It's just not something having rich parents helps with. Most people in Norway or Sweden or whatever had the means to do it.

No, that's completely wrong. Having rich parents helps a shitload with doing what he did, your average Norge or Swede couldn't have done it anywhere near as easily or quickly, because they don't get to slack off in university and then always have fat stacks from their parents to fall back on.

You seem to grossly overestimate their welfare systems and the costs involved with doing what he actually did.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
To basically agree with everyone in a way that will be read as disagreeing with everyone: It was a big advantage but 99% of failsons with that advantage don't change lanes as successfully as he did. I'm being very agnostic about the merit/skill/luck side of things because I don't "get" him as somebody worth watching but whatever tastes differ.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

pangstrom posted:

To basically agree with everyone in a way that will be read as disagreeing with everyone: It was a big advantage but 99% of failsons with that advantage don't change lanes as successfully as he did. I'm being very agnostic about the merit/skill/luck side of things because I don't "get" him as somebody worth watching but whatever tastes differ.

I don't think anyone is saying that he doesn't "deserve" his success, but the ability to fail repeatedly is actually a huge advantage. This Salon article from last year is kind of tangentially related:

http://www.salon.com/2015/01/25/sponsored_by_my_husband_why_its_a_problem_that_writers_never_talk_about_where_their_money_comes_from/

quote:

In my opinion, we do an enormous “let them eat cake” disservice to our community when we obfuscate the circumstances that help us write, publish and in some way succeed. I can’t claim the wealth of the first author (not even close); nor do I have the connections of the second. I don’t have their fame either. But I do have a huge advantage over the writer who is living paycheck to paycheck, or lonely and isolated, or dealing with a medical condition, or working a full-time job.

How can I be so sure? Because I used to be poor, overworked and overwhelmed. And I produced zero books during that time.
Throughout my 20s, I was married to an addict who tried valiantly (but failed, over and over) to stay straight. We had three children, one with autism, and lived in poverty for a long, wretched time. In my 30s I divorced the man because it was the only way out of constant crisis. For the next 10 years, I worked two jobs and raised my three kids alone, without child support or the involvement of their dad.

The problem is that "being good at youtubing" is a (relatively) low bar when you have a support structure that allows you to fail repeatedly while you get better at whatever it is that you're trying to do. It's like people who insist that software development is a hugely meritocratic industry because a self taught programmer with a good portfolio can probably find someone who will hire them. That's absolutely true, but it also requires that person to support themselves for a year or more while learning and essentially working an unpaid full time job.

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Feb 15, 2017

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

pangstrom posted:

nobody's disputing that he has worked hard or had talent but there's a shitload of hard working talented kids out there who aren't youtube superstars because they have to work for a living

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I'd dispute that rape kill all jews man has talent. He has a lack of self-awareness, a high-pitched voice, and the ability to run ads for his product.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Discendo Vox posted:

I'd dispute that rape kill all jews man has talent.
He's decently attractive and used his goofy voice to his advantage.

You could contrast that with someone like Markiplier, who has a jawline that is usually seen in a DC comic and whose voice makes me ovulate spontaneously.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
Wasn't PDP's big "thing" basically working out (by some combination of luck or intent) that the major audience for LPers was kids and producing content accordingly? I think he was one of the first to really figure that out.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

FilthyImp posted:

He's decently attractive and used his goofy voice to his advantage.

You could contrast that with someone like Markiplier, who has a jawline that is usually seen in a DC comic and whose voice makes me ovulate spontaneously.

Well, have I got the late Valentine's gift for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyU_1JD2wuA

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Magic Leap, that VR company that had a SFX company make it's demo reel since it doesn't actually have a product, is being sued by the woman they hired to solve their sex discrimination issues for sex discrimination.

• A picture of a male and female doctor was met with the comment that it looked like "bring your wife to work day."
  • One of the system's main games – Dr G – has only a single female character who, amazingly, is well-endowed and seemingly spends much of her time on her knees.
  • An email about a Google group set up for the spouses of Magic Leap employees was titled "Board (sic) Wives at home while you are loving it at the Leap" and was described as providing them with "someone local to hang out with when their significant other is slaving away at work thru-out the 12-hr day. Or are they just nagging you because you moved here?"
  • A senior staffer told a group of new hires when asked a question by one of the two women in the room that "women always have trouble with computers." He then advised everyone to "stay away from the three Os: Orientals, Old People and Ovaries."
  • On a conference call with an advertising agency, the CFO reportedly said: "I'm sitting here between two beautiful ladies. They're not going to want to put a big ugly device over their pretty faces. And I have an office with glass doors, I don't want people to see me with these beautiful girls with ugly things on their faces."
  • Campbell was told she was being "emotional" and "sensitive" when she opposed the addition of an outside agency head to an advertising team.

I hate brogrammers and brogrammer culture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Think they'll settle either way but if it went to court the defense would definitely feature a lot of "yeah we had a problem, we hired you to fix it not so you could build a sex discrimination case against us".