Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

FuzzySkinner posted:

I do have a question about that.

Why am I seeing some feminists wear hijabs recently as an act of defiance? I'm not asking this from a place of being a condescending "FEMINAZIIS AMI RIGHT?", but rather I'm sincerely confused.

Is it a show of solidarity with immigrants and others?

hijabs can be hot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

FuzzySkinner posted:

I do have a question about that.

Why am I seeing some feminists wear hijabs recently as an act of defiance? I'm not asking this from a place of being a condescending "FEMINAZIIS AMI RIGHT?", but rather I'm sincerely confused.

Is it a show of solidarity with immigrants and others?
i assume it's because islamophobes often disingenuously use feminist language to argue against islam, especially wrt the hijab. in actuality, most forms of feminism (aside from liberal feminism but who cares about them) aren't against hijabs. it's ultimately all about women's choice. and even if these women are being forced into wearing the hijab, banning them from public spaces or altogether would ultimately harm these women more when the fines target them or when they're forced (by both male influence from within their religious community as well as by the legislators enacting these laws) into staying out of public life.

feminists generally consider the situation to be one of those fight the disease not the symptoms type of deals. and the disease is patriarchy, obv.

so yeah, it's maybe a statement about that.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

R. Mute posted:

i assume it's because islamophobes often disingenuously use feminist language to argue against islam, especially wrt the hijab. in actuality, most forms of feminism (aside from liberal feminism but who cares about them) aren't against hijabs. it's ultimately all about women's choice. and even if these women are being forced into wearing the hijab, banning them from public spaces or altogether would ultimately harm these women more when the fines target them or when they're forced (by both male influence from within their religious community as well as by the legislators enacting these laws) into staying out of public life.

feminists generally consider the situation to be one of those fight the disease not the symptoms type of deals. and the disease is patriarchy, obv.

A good and quality post.

Thanks muchly.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

R. Mute posted:

yeah pretty much this.

Frosted Flake posted:

I don't understand how you can still be mad at jocks 20 years later.

Similarly, the effort to convince people "toxic" masculinity is bad seems greater than the effort of going to the gym so you can benefit from it rather than whine.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

well bob is a special case, most don't really care about jocks or whatever apart. as for toxic masculinty, thats a real thing, the loving GOP oozes with it and trump quintessential example of it. the issue i have is alot of WOKE dickheads like fullmac and others think any masculinty that isn't steven universe(openly emotional male kid who cries alot and cares openly about mineral lesbians) is toxic masculinity and needs to be censored critiqued.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

hearing "toxic" as a descriptor for everything makes me want to tune something out whenever it's used in an argument, similar to the word "problematic"

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
i want to know more about the mineral lesbians

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

get that OUT of my face posted:

hearing "toxic" as a descriptor for everything makes me want to tune something out whenever it's used in an argument, similar to the word "problematic"

yeah. they have overused the words/academic phrases. now it means nothing.

Al! posted:

look up steven universe. its a show WOKEs like him eat up.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Al! posted:

there was a thread in tviv about it that, surprisingly, got gassed because people got way too into discussing how the characters in a cartoon for children would have sex

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Office Surprise Store posted:

there was a thread in tviv about it that, surprisingly, got gassed because people got way too into discussing how the characters in a cartoon for children would have sex

it got gassed for the third time??

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Hijabs perpetuate the patriarchy.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/CNNent/status/831257897589948416

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. they have overused the words/academic phrases. now it means nothing.

look up steven universe. its a show WOKEs like him eat up.

why do you capitalize woke

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

gently caress off. maybe its because she was liked more and or sold more.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

is it seriously the most insulting thing to only receive two grammys

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i think the real question is why either of them are still winning any grammys at all

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Al! posted:

i think the real question is why either of them are still winning any grammys at all

You dislike them both too?

https://twitter.com/deray/status/831095565148631040

Also, does anyone have the graphic where he was sponsored by Well Fargo to give a speech?

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

macklemore won a grammy so yes

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

FuzzySkinner posted:

Also, does anyone have the graphic where he was sponsored by Well Fargo to give a speech?

first page of the woke brands thread

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

FuzzySkinner posted:

here, friend:

For future easy reference it's among the first few posts in the woke brands thread :eng101:

I'd say e;f,b but it's a hilarious image always worth posting

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

FuzzySkinner posted:

i dont exactly dislike them it just seems like they wheel Beyonce and Adelle out every year to shower them with praise for some mediocrity because tehy feel obligated

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

oh on the deray tip, he was my first exposure to blm and so i thought it was a corporate-run false flag movement for a long time but i guess hes just a guy who is coopting it to make a tidy living?

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Al! posted:

oh on the deray tip, he was my first exposure to blm and so i thought it was a corporate-run false flag movement for a long time but i guess hes just a guy who is coopting it to make a tidy living?

accurate

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

he continues a long line of black leaders hawking blue patagonia vests tho

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

every time there's an essay about some moral wrong being committed at the grammys or another awards show, i watch this clip to put things into perspective

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf9V0hwJ6qk

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. pretty much. most of these peoples tactics and cadence remind me of the moral puritans of the evangelical right if they learned how to co-opt academic terminology.

And we all remember what happened to puritanism's de facto moral high ground when cultural norms started shifting.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

super sweet best pal posted:

And we all remember what happened to puritanism's de facto moral high ground when cultural norms started shifting.

yeah it went to poo poo. i am curious how bad this poo poo will get.

http://occupywallstreet.net/story/explaining-white-privilege-broke-white-person

the article isnt as bad as most. but throwing academic terms and theories about how he/she should feel bad because a rich black person has it worse off in some areas, while said poor gently caress is barely scraping by feels and might not be able to feed their kids or find a job is lovely.

Dapper_Swindler has issued a correction as of 04:50 on Feb 14, 2017

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah it went to poo poo. i am curious how bad this poo poo will get.

http://occupywallstreet.net/story/explaining-white-privilege-broke-white-person

the article isnt as bad as most. but throwing academic terms and theories about how he/she should feel bad because a rich black person has it worse off in some areas, while said poor gently caress is barely scraping by feels and might not be able to feed their kids or find a job is lovely.

I think the problem I see from a lot of these articles is that they do in fact come from WASPs that come from relatively "privileged" backgrounds, and I think the concept of growing up in poverty is somewhat lost on them.

What (sadly) winds up making you more akin to wanting to help out the poor and disenfranchised is having to have to go through rough times yourself. Not being able to find health insurance...struggling to feed yourself, your family...not finding work..stuff like that.

It's not a right or a left thing. I've seen guys like Bill Kristol say stuff eerily similar to what was posted above for example. Rather it seems to be an issue of class.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

sounds like FAKE NEWS to me

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

could also be that adele is a better artist :^)

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Al! posted:

long story short, he'res the new yorker's hot take on the issue

a little something in here for everyone :heysexy:

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
i don't listen to adele or beyonce where am i on the racism spectrum

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Office Surprise Store posted:

i don't listen to adele or beyonce where am i on the racism spectrum

Doesn't listen to a overweight white women or a black women? Guess that makes your a Trump supporter!

Guys, we need to talk: Its time to pack it in for Valentine's day and just be gay

https://twitter.com/TheSafestSpace/status/831493340617125888

https://twitter.com/TheSafestSpace/status/831380787102699521

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

First tweet is stupid as hell :biotruths: because no one's naturally attracted to a default gender so gently caress that

Reactor in the second tweet is equally stupid as hell because sociology and society plays a p. big role on what's considered attractive/desirable but hey your fee fees on vday are threatened

in summary both are pieces of poo poo

e: the thesis is terrible clickbait though, the rest of the article seems pretty reasonable

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
idk if we should be taking feminist commentary from a tweet source named The Safest Space I just don't know

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Chokes McGee posted:

idk if we should be taking feminist commentary from a tweet source named The Safest Space I just don't know

Take it tweet by tweet you don't have to agree with the source on everything. Like the point of this thread is making fun of the extreme online left/right. I mean even if the source was The Safest Space shitposting some one claiming all women are lesbians and are only attracted go guys because society says so it pretty funny.

BexGu has issued a correction as of 16:58 on Feb 14, 2017

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

BexGu posted:

Take it tweet by tweet you don't have to agree with the source on everything. Like the point of this thread is making fun of the extreme online left/right. I mean even if the source was The Safest Space shitposting some one claiming all women are lesbians and are only attracted go guys because society says so it pretty funny.

sure but I'm also mocking the person who made the tweet response

metamocking if you will

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
hmm @MiladysAndFedoras, this seems like an excellent source of dating advice *strokes beard*

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Chokes McGee posted:

hmm @LadiesAndFedoras, this seems like an excellent source of dating advice *strokes beard*

i mean i get what you're saying it just seems like a weird tangent when the original make fun of thing is "women only ever "love" men because men have used the power of the patriarchy to make them think they do" which is uh, i mean, yikes

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
also i'll have you know my fedora is very stylish, why just last week i was at a comic book store and

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Al! posted:

long story short, he'res the new yorker's hot take on the issue

I'm not catholic, but don't nuns choose to become nuns and wear that stuff? I've been in muslim countries and watched women being legally beaten for not wearing their burkas and stuff so I'm not sure that the two are really comparable.

• Locked thread