Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Eifert Posting posted:

My wife got given a kia soul as a rental and I have never hated a car more.

Haha, the first car they gave me last year when my car got tboned was a Soul. I had it 2 days and demanded something else. It's tiny, its slow as gently caress, and still manages to get under 30mpg. Also the air condition smelled like it was moldy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

Curious, but did you wrap it just to make it all 1 color?

When did they start putting color matched mirror caps?

My car is black, so neither of those mattered, just wondering.

Yeah, it's all one wrap. The U shaped piece in front and around the sunroof didn't match the 3m vinyl very well so that got wrapped.

I believe only the Sport model has black mirror caps now. If you build one on the site the other trims have body colored caps.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

veedubfreak posted:

Haha, the first car they gave me last year when my car got tboned was a Soul. I had it 2 days and demanded something else. It's tiny, its slow as gently caress, and still manages to get under 30mpg. Also the air condition smelled like it was moldy.

Nobody changes cabin filters despite taking 10 seconds.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
10 seconds, my rear end.

Still, you're right, hardly an insurmountable task.

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer
We've had my wife's Fiesta ST for less than a week and I already ordered the Mountune MP215 kit.

Did I just make the best decision of the week, or the best decision ever? You decide.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Eifert Posting posted:

My wife got given a kia soul as a rental and I have never hated a car more.
I put 30,000 miles on a leased 2013 2.0 6MT. It wasn't terrible. The 1.6L and the automatic were both horrible, and unfortunately with the second generation (where they significantly improved the chassis) they only offered the manual with the 1.6. Had they still offered the 2.0 (especially the updated GDI model) with the stick I might be driving one of those.

Supposedly its getting the Veloster's 1.6 Turbo at some point, that might not be terrible.

Christobevii3 posted:

Nobody changes cabin filters despite taking 10 seconds.
Lol, look up the Fiesta ST cabin filter change process. It's not fun.

thetechnoloser posted:

We've had my wife's Fiesta ST for less than a week and I already ordered the Mountune MP215 kit.

Did I just make the best decision of the week, or the best decision ever? You decide.
Because of the 36,000 mile limitation on its supplementary warranty, the best time to buy a MP-series kit is right when you buy the car.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Whyyyy my veloster is below the glove box... Kia Soul should be same.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

wolrah posted:

I put 30,000 miles on a leased 2013 2.0 6MT. It wasn't terrible. The 1.6L and the automatic were both horrible, and unfortunately with the second generation (where they significantly improved the chassis) they only offered the manual with the 1.6. Had they still offered the 2.0 (especially the updated GDI model) with the stick I might be driving one of those.

Lol, look up the Fiesta ST cabin filter change process. It's not fun.

Hint: it involves sitting upside down in the passenger seat while swearing at Ford engineers.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Deadhook posted a link to some sort of group buy for a helical LSD for fiST. 560 dollars, can't say I'm not a little tempted.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

wolrah posted:

Supposedly its getting the Veloster's 1.6 Turbo at some point, that might not be terrible.

It's already out as the 2017 Soul !. Same motor that's also in the Forte SX.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

PaintVagrant posted:

Deadhook posted a link to some sort of group buy for a helical LSD for fiST. 560 dollars, can't say I'm not a little tempted.

Does it freak out the traction control?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

http://jalopnik.com/toyota-is-building-the-210-horsepower-yaris-hot-hatch-w-1791125235

Iiiiiinteresting. Doubt we'll see it in the US though.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

PabloBOOM posted:

I just think of the veloster like an old Audi TT. A fashion statement generally lacking in fun. Prepare to be judged accordingly.

Cor, what a fashion statement it is, though. The first gens still look amazing.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Does it freak out the traction control?

Every time I've heard talk of LSDs in FiST or FoSTs it's been specifically noted that the torque vectoring doesn't kick in as often so brake life is much better. Based on that it sounds like the traction control system handles it fine.

I'm really interested at that price, depending on what it'll cost me to have installed. I guess I need to find a shop.

edit: Here's the link to the thread on FiestaSTForum where the group buy is being organized: http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/12573-MFactory-Helical-LSD-s-Lifetime-Warranty!

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Removed the loving front-mount license plate frame. The state I'm in doesn't even require a front plate, but the Ford Dealer installed the holder just to put one of their advertising plates in it.

I politely went to them and said 'I didn't buy a brand-new car so you could mess up the front and block the drat front-mount intercooler for your free advertising, is there any way pretty please you could have a dealer tech remove it?'

15 minutes later, much better:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Did they drill holes? That was something I was very clear on. Holes = no deal.

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Honestly I didn't catch it before delivery. That and dealer stickers I say either don't do (IE drill holes) or take it off before delivery (like if they have a sticker already).

My fault, but they did give me body-colored plugs for the holes, which is fine cause I'm military and eventually will end up in a state that requires front plates at some point.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Same. Emich by default doesn't put a front plate on the R unless requested.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

thetechnoloser posted:

Honestly I didn't catch it before delivery. That and dealer stickers I say either don't do (IE drill holes) or take it off before delivery (like if they have a sticker already).

My fault, but they did give me body-colored plugs for the holes, which is fine cause I'm military and eventually will end up in a state that requires front plates at some point.

I usually just get a tow hook plate mount to get rid of the fix it ticket, which happens once in a blue moon.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

PaintVagrant posted:

The expensive part isn't the diff, it's finding someone competent enough to install it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

That's the goddamned worst. There's a local dealership that puts badges on cars brought in for service regardless if they were bought there or not.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

Rhyno posted:

That's the goddamned worst. There's a local dealership that puts badges on cars brought in for service regardless if they were bought there or not.

...they drill them? I would literally flip my poo poo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yup. Drilled.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Rhyno posted:

This is incredibly illegal and they would get sued into oblivion after about one week, so I'm gonna say you're full of poo poo.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

oxbrain posted:

The expensive part isn't the diff, it's finding someone competent enough to install it.

How hard is the install? I'd probably just do it myself because my confidence is wildly disproportionate to my skill.

One thing that I really appreciate on the fist is there isn't a stupid subframe member the engine and trans sit on. So dropping the trans looks pretty easy compared to most modern fwd cars, or the pinnacle of hard to work on fwd cars, the 8th gen civic si. (My last car)

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
My car is back at the body shop! Drove by and saw it but haven't talked to them yet. Gonna call them after I get off the mountain if I haven't heard from them by then.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Pryor on Fire posted:

This is incredibly illegal and they would get sued into oblivion after about one week, so I'm gonna say you're full of poo poo.

Yup, no way is this happening.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

PaintVagrant posted:

How hard is the install? I'd probably just do it myself because my confidence is wildly disproportionate to my skill.

One thing that I really appreciate on the fist is there isn't a stupid subframe member the engine and trans sit on. So dropping the trans looks pretty easy compared to most modern fwd cars, or the pinnacle of hard to work on fwd cars, the 8th gen civic si. (My last car)

It's probably not that much worse than changing one in any other fwd transaxle. Just need some alignment tools and replacement shims and seals. The difficulties I've heard about people having are mostly discovering parts they need that are backordered.

The quotes I've got for labor ranged from $1k-1500 and only a couple places were even willing to try.

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
How difficult is it for someone who has only ever changed spark plugs and oil/filters to do a Cobb stage 2 install on a FiST? I own a full set of socket wrenches but not much else for auto. Almost all of my tools are for woodworking.

Am I better off just having a mechanic buddy do it for a few hundred and a case of beer?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Rape Stink posted:

How difficult is it for someone who has only ever changed spark plugs and oil/filters to do a Cobb stage 2 install on a FiST? I own a full set of socket wrenches but not much else for auto. Almost all of my tools are for woodworking.

Am I better off just having a mechanic buddy do it for a few hundred and a case of beer?

Probably, unless you have someone handy that can help you. It can be done, hell almost anything can be done with enough time and a basic set of tools and a set of jack stands, but it might be worth it for you to just have someone do it.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Installing a catback with a socket wrench seems reasonable. lol

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Yeah until you get to clutch, LSD, internals of engine, turbo, or downpipe it shouldn't be too bad. At worse you can give up halfway and put stuff back

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
If the stage 2 changes out the exhaust then you'd need some sort of sawzall or good metal saw. At least that's how it is on the FoST, the over axle portion needs to be cut off. Otherwise I'd imagine it can all be done with a simple set of tools and a few hours.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Rape Stink posted:

Cobb's Stage 2 on a FiST is a RMM, basically everything that's not the turbo between the air filter and the throttle body, and a tune. It should be basically a sockets and screwdrivers job, but I'd assume the front bumper and related trim have to come off for the intercooler so it will be tedious if you want to have everything still line up right when you put it back together.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Total bill came up to just over $17k. Might still need a new steering wheel if the buttons can't be replaced.

e: and the windshield wipers don't go as far as they should and therefore hit on the way back down :allears: . They're adjusting that now. I think the soundaktor is jacked up too. Gonna be fun finding all this poo poo.

e2:

Shouldn't have missed that.

I'm sooooooo glad to have it back after experiencing the joy of a 106hp(at sea level) Nissan Versa at 9000+ feet.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Feb 16, 2017

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
I'm surprised they didn't total it. Lucky you for it being a lease!

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Maksimus54 posted:

I'm surprised they didn't total it. Lucky you for it being a lease!

Me too at that price. Maybe if it had been more than a month old? I can't describe how pissed I'd be if it wasn't a lease. It's borderline worthless now.

The shop did leave me a present box in the hatch full of blown seatbelts and interior trim pieces to make up for it.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
I think the rule of thumb is to total the car if it's 75% of the fair market value? Give or take differences between companies and states and how crappy a day the adjuster is having... Might just be something people say. I got my 09 back with 4600 in damages at a value of around 6700... Cutting it close but I kind of wish they'd written it off because no way will anyone ever buy it with this on its record. Guess I'll just have to chip it and go nuts.

Glad you've been reunited!

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Did you blow bags? I don't remember, but man that seems super high since my tbone only ended up costing 13k in repairs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

veedubfreak posted:

Did you blow bags? I don't remember, but man that seems super high since my tbone only ended up costing 13k in repairs.

Both drivers side bags. I basically got a new front end minus the passenger front fender.