Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Infinitum posted:

"Nintendo Switch is a big gay dead console for babies. Nintendo never do anything right"

*Literally has its rival from the original console war developing titles for it like the whipped bitch they are*

What is pointing out Sega getting bitchly whipped by Sony the same year Nintendo got the same meant to prove?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Bass Bottles posted:

third party games don't go to Nintendo consoles because they never have, ever, the universal constant

Let it be, let it be

Whisper words of wisdom

Let it be

Wrong. They did. They were called the NES and SNES.

Then Nintendo made the N64 which used cartridges instead of CDs and was hard to develop for. Third parties jumped ship for other consoles and Nintendo has never recovered from it. Nintendo also used to be giant dicks to developers back in the day too, so that probably had something to do with why a lot of companies like Capcom and Squaresoft immediately bailed on them, too.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Infinitum posted:

"Nintendo Switch is a big gay dead console for babies. Nintendo never do anything right"

*Literally has its rival from the original console war developing titles for it like the whipped bitch they are*

They call it the Switch for a reason

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Infinitum posted:

Lol spicy take from nearly two decades ago get some new material old man

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Arguing about underpowered nintendos + third parties is giving my Your Console Sucks flashbacks and I hate it.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
So uh is the gamester preorder thing true or no?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

well why not posted:

Arguing about underpowered nintendos + third parties is giving my Your Console Sucks flashbacks and I hate it.

I miss the days of the PSTriple too.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gammatron 64 posted:

Wrong. They did. They were called the NES and SNES.

Then Nintendo made the N64 which used cartridges instead of CDs and was hard to develop for. Third parties jumped ship for other consoles and Nintendo has never recovered from it. Nintendo also used to be giant dicks to developers back in the day too, so that probably had something to do with why a lot of companies like Capcom and Squaresoft immediately bailed on them, too.

With AAA game sizes balooning up to 50-70GB I have to wonder if Nintendo hasn't accidentally ruined their chances with third party AAA games this time around as well. Arguably a lot of that space is likely textures that would be removed for the Switch version anyway (since it has sub-PS4/One graphical capabilities) but will AAA game makers be bothered to put in the effort to slim down their games enough to fit onto a Switch cart?

Also the fact that Switch games have to be able to switch between 1080p/720p on the fly might cause issues as well; depending on how capable a game's engine is I could see studios simply deciding to nerf the Switch's output to 720p (docked or portable) because it would be easier than implementing resolution changes.

We'll see.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Eh, switching resolutions seems like not a problem, considering a ton of xbone and I think PS4 games dynamically adjust resolution to keep the frame rate from plummeting. Also I can't remember the last game I played that didn't allow me to change resolutions, especially between common settings like 1080/720.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

lelandjs posted:

With AAA game sizes balooning up to 50-70GB I have to wonder if Nintendo hasn't accidentally ruined their chances with third party AAA games this time around as well. Arguably a lot of that space is likely textures that would be removed for the Switch version anyway (since it has sub-PS4/One graphical capabilities) but will AAA game makers be bothered to put in the effort to slim down their games enough to fit onto a Switch cart?

Also the fact that Switch games have to be able to switch between 1080p/720p on the fly might cause issues as well; depending on how capable a game's engine is I could see studios simply deciding to nerf the Switch's output to 720p (docked or portable) because it would be easier than implementing resolution changes.

We'll see.

If the Switch's install base is big enough, they will find a way. If there is money to be made without spending a ton of it, they will do it.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I believe the Switch will cultivate its own great game ecosystem.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

This is the best sonic game I've ever seen.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
mY BACKUP BACKUP SCREEN PROTECTOR WILL BE A TIME MACHINE SO I CAN GO BACK IN TIME AND STOP THE SCREEN FROM GETTING SCRATCHED

E: whoops caps lock.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

lelandjs posted:

We'll see.

Nintendo basically bowed out of that arena by going all-mobile hardware, file sizes don't even have a chance to figure into it.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

arms

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Infinitum posted:

"Actually the Switch has no 3rd party support and I declare it dead and gay"
:goonsay:

*Ignores massive list of growing 3rd party Devs releasing big name games*

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Infinitum posted:

lol yeah what a coup, getting lovely sonic games no one likes

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

did sega announce yakuza kiwami for the switch yet

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Super No Vacancy, Stux isn't on probation anymore, you don't have to post in the thread now.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

The AAA games argument falls flat to me when Nintendo is their own AAA developer, or least makes games that push units (Zelda, Pokemon, Mario, etc). Plus nearly every AAA game I can think of is on the PC where almost all of them are way better versions than whatever 1/2 baked versions come out on consoles anyway.

The funny thing is much as people bitch about Nintendo remaking the same game over and over nearly all of those games are sequels too so....

(PC Master Race)

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

SFRush but replace the cars with Sonic would make for a pretty good 3D Sonic game now that I think about it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

lelandjs posted:

We'll see.

The low ram is probably the biggest factor. 4gbs is really anemic for newer games.

File size isnt that big a deal in a trade off for portability. Resolution switching is just changing some presets and is no problem on pc and already standard on ps4 with xbox coming soon.

The last couple pages are very silly imo. The switch could be a very promising second system but there are issues with it that could easily make it a market failure. Being sober about it now will save a lot of 7 stages of grief posting later if it doesnt pan out for them.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Super No Vacancy, Stux isn't on probation anymore, you don't have to post in the thread now.

thank you, you're very kind

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

LethalGeek posted:

Plus nearly every AAA game I can think of is on the PC where almost all of them are way better versions than whatever 1/2 baked versions come out on consoles anyway.

Location, location, location. I bought Witcher 3, Overwatch, and Watch_Dogs 2 for my PS4 instead of on Steam because I wanted to be able to play on the couch with a controller, and I'd rebuy Witcher 3 and Overwatch for the Switch even if they received severe graphical nerfs because being able to play either of those games anywhere I want would be loving awesome.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Imagine having paid for watch dogs 2 haha

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
My screen protector will be made of powderized unsold copies of watch dogs 2 tempered into a ceramic

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGR5fTO2oio

Listen to this and tell me this is not the hypest poo poo.

... Actually, while we're on the subject, how come Sonic games keep getting better music than Mario games (with the standout exceptions of the Galaxy games)?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jimmy Hats posted:

Imagine having paid for watch dogs 2 haha

Imagine hating fun haha

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Imaging hating Kirby. Can you do it? I loving doubt it.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

lelandjs posted:

Location, location, location. I bought Witcher 3, Overwatch, and Watch_Dogs 2 for my PS4 instead of on Steam because I wanted to be able to play on the couch with a controller, and I'd rebuy Witcher 3 and Overwatch for the Switch even if they received severe graphical nerfs because being able to play either of those games anywhere I want would be loving awesome.

I get overwatch because it's multiplayer but would you really rebuy a 509 hour RPG

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
There are some crazy posts coming all ways in this thread. Just imagine I'm doing the yikes guy emote on constant repeat.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

VideoGames posted:

There are some crazy posts coming all ways in this thread. Just imagine I'm doing the yikes guy emote on constant repeat.

I'm very tired and the political threads are really active right now.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
The Nintendo third party games argument is like the Jupiter's red spot: a never ending storm , eternal.....

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bass Bottles posted:

I get overwatch because it's multiplayer but would you really rebuy a 509 hour RPG

People are gonna rebuy Skyrim for the Switch.

...ok no they're not but I probably will.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

lelandjs posted:

People are gonna rebuy Skyrim for the Switch.

...ok no they're not but I probably will.

I'm looking forward to seeing what this Sky Rim is all about.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Bass Bottles posted:

Overwatch is like Dota except bad.

... Or was that League of Legends.

Actually, videogames in general are like Dota except not quite as good.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Well here's a super obvious third party game that should get on the switch at some point. http://store.steampowered.com/app/422810/

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I'd be happy if the Switch just ended up with a library more like what's on the 3DS. Nintendo first party and quirky Japanese third party stuff. I still think people should think about this as a portable system and not compare it to the PS4. If you're going to plug this into the dock and never unplug it again you're very much not the target market.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Pureauthor posted:

Overwatch is like Dota except bad.

... Or was that League of Legends.

Actually, videogames in general are like Dota except not quite as good.

Dota is like a video game but bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Well if nothing else we already know it's getting DQXI and it'll almost certainly get the next MonHun if only due to the total lack of any viable alternative in the Japanese market.

• Locked thread