Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Went to Reddit discord had to wait 10mins to ask for a link to the thread. Apparently there is none dude was just salty as gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

This game is real fun. Personally I haven't found a game mode I dislike yet. There is a lot of running away in the larger game modes, but honestly that's mainly a problem because I play a fatass that can't run very fast.

The only stupid thing I've found about this game is faction v faction which is just whatever.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Popete posted:

A pointless single player campaign that's only there as a check mark on the back of the box. 1v1/2v2 duels sounds like it would get old really fast when there isn't anything else to do. 4v4 just sounds like a poo poo show.

Campaign: yes

1v1/2v2: maybe

4v4: Two of the three modes are really bad (but fixable if they don't :dice:). I like the Dominion mode.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers
anyone know a good streaming that talks about what he is doing and why? Basically someone that you can learn by watching, instead of just watching them bitch.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
So is the discord chat for all platforms to use to find people or is there a goon group on ps4 to join? Send a request of VforVegans if you want to suck at this game together.

Av027
Aug 27, 2003
Qowned.

Popete posted:

A pointless single player campaign that's only there as a check mark on the back of the box. 1v1/2v2 duels sounds like it would get old really fast when there isn't anything else to do. 4v4 just sounds like a poo poo show.

It has a coop campaign. There has been some footage of that online for a few months, and I'm sure you can find people streaming it, or giving opinions on it if that's what you're after. Looks ok to me, and a far cry more engaging than what siege had for a single player "campaign". As far as the multi goes, people are for the most part falling into two camps - those that think the 1v1 duels are "the only mode" and those that prefer 4v4 Dominion. 2v2 duels might appeal to some, and so might the other 4v4 modes, but Duel and Dominion are the big modes. If you're not in either one of those camps, maybe it's not for you? Watch some footage.

Personally, I prefer Dominion, because I enjoy objective oriented, team-based gameplay, and 1v1 bores me to tears. To me, Dominion is not a "poo poo show", and I actually find it to be one of the more interesting capture and hold modes I've played period. YMMV.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
Skirmish mode is the worst. Like dominion but stripped of anything that might be interesting

Gammymajams
Jan 30, 2016
They've ruined the L2 bots from the open beta. The peacekeeper bot can now 100% dodge even the warden top light and zone attack i.e. among the fastest attacks in the game. It's still beatable because it get stuck in loops where it continually tried to guard break, and it tries the sprinting guard break at the start of every. single. round. The bot was way better in open beta and more like a real person, but now training against them is a poo poo way to learn the game.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Chomp8645 posted:

Campaign: yes

1v1/2v2: maybe

4v4: Two of the three modes are really bad (but fixable if they don't :dice:). I like the Dominion mode.

I like dominion but the game's mechanics just aren't really made for fighting 1v2 or 2v2 or 3v1 or whatever, it just has a bunch of hacky solutions to that.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Popete posted:

Is this game bad like Siege? Cause that game was real thin and this game looks real thin.

Dude Siege is the only tolerable Ubisoft game in years.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

FunkMonkey posted:

You can actually model your character in all the outfits in the customization menu, even if you don't have them unlocked. Just click on them in the appropriate tab.

But the short answer would be "not great" in my opinion. They're your typical over-elaborate dlc suits that people buy to look big and tough right out of the gate.

Yeah it looks pretty dumb. And they made them way too easy to get, in a couple weeks literally everybody is going to have lightning and firey wings and poo poo. Its too much.

The cherry blossoms are more tasteful but still, everybody having magic effects when they emote or do an execution just looks bad. It was probably something forced in by some design guy or a marketing guy to have an extra thing to sell for steel, but man does it look gaudy.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I'm getting a strange bug.

Every now and then parts of my sound cut out, but not all. Last time it happened I could only hear sword 'clangs', the announcer, and the cannon booms to let you know about dominion points and stuff.

No foot sounds, no soldier grunts or move callouts.

Restarting the game fixed it, but it was bizarre and strangely disorienting.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Popete posted:

Siege was an ok game and a terrible Rainbow Six. It felt nothing like previous Rainbow games it had no single player content (that bullshit doesn't count). The multiplayer was alright but the settings made no sense. Why are national teams of spec ops fighting each other? I guess it's too spooky to have actual legitimate terrorist/hostage situations with bad guys so instead you're fighting anime-esque SWAT guys from Germany or wherever.

The multiplayer fits perfectly fine with the multiplayer mods of the old school Rainbow six games, did you ever play them in multiplayer? It was Red vs Blue with everyone in swat gear.

The single player content is garbage agreed, but the entire game was designed as a team based competitive shooter. You may not like that, which is fine, but saying its bad for fulfilling what it aimed to do, and did well is pretty lovely.

That said, has Ubi-soft hosed this game good with poo poo servers and bad match making?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I am legit shocked and upset there's no mode where everybody plays on the same faction. Like, what the gently caress?

I mean we'll get it as an update soon probably because they already promised new game modes and that one's pretty obvious, but it just seems like a dumb thing to leave out!

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
I have yet to win a single match in this game. I can beat lvl 3 bots but I keep getting players who can block literally everything I throw and instantly get out of guard break. It's super frustrating. I'm either magically Autistic when I play against people, I'm having connection issues and not noticing it or God hates me.

Im going with the last one.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

hey welcome to the show! posted:

I have yet to win a single match in this game. I can beat lvl 3 bots but I keep getting players who can block literally everything I throw and instantly get out of guard break. It's super frustrating. I'm either magically Autistic when I play against people, I'm having connection issues and not noticing it or God hates me.

That sucks dude. Every other match I get a bunch of newbies that haven't figured out the basic mechanics yet so I can just clown on them.

I've had some good fights too though. Last match I fought a Lawbringer who knew his poo poo, I couldn't touch him and he kept beating the crap out of me if I hesitated for a second.

Skull Knight
Aug 2, 2013

Sexy bad choices
Lipstick Apathy

TV dog Wishbone of PBS posted:

So, the story mode.
The Warden just might be the dumbest protagonist. Maybe this crazy woman who gets off on killing nonresisting people and masturbates over the concept of predators isn't actually fighting for peace?

makes u think

But he took his vows, and they can't go breaking it...

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I love Dominion, 4v4 elimination, 2v2, 1v1, it's all cool poo poo. personally love dominion especially when I play with 4 other friends and we just gently caress up and poo poo-talk constantly. Other modes you occasionally get "runners" but it doesn't matter. We always end up loving them up in the end.

IDK why people think running away endlessly, even to gather powerups, is a legit strategy when we can 1) destroy your other teammates while you're bitching out or 2) just eventually get you when/if the rest of the team has been executed

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

hey welcome to the show! posted:

the game currently favors defense to a ridiculous degree when it comes to high level play. attacks are simply too slow to get through a reactive blocker (except in the case of warden's 2 specific attacks), cancelling a guard break is too easy and getting parried is a death sentence for the attacker.

also there are hacks out that enable auto-blocking.

the game might not last very long in its current state, which is sad because i really enjoyed the open beta for the most part. really hoping ubisoft fixes the game

Hard
Jul 31, 2005
Kid Napalm
Siege is a pretty thin unrealistic trash game and you shouldn't spoil this glorious thread by mentioning it's name.

That being said, For Honor is a pretty good game and i'm really enjoying running around in SP looking for observables and stuff to break.

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!

Minorkos posted:

the game currently favors defense to a ridiculous degree when it comes to high level play. attacks are simply too slow to get through a reactive blocker (except in the case of warden's 2 specific attacks), cancelling a guard break is too easy and getting parried is a death sentence for the attacker.

also there are hacks out that enable auto-blocking.

the game might not last very long in its current state, which is sad because i really enjoyed the open beta for the most part. really hoping ubisoft fixes the game

High level play isn't what the majority of paying customers play at, so aside from the lack of ESPORTS and maybe eventually a dwindled streamer population, I don't see this being a death knell.

If that's a legit problem then i do hope Ubisoft addresses it, but casual gameplay doesn't even vaguely resemble the top tier play I've seen in streams and VODs.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I genuinely love that the Lawbringer is a walking fortress but his voiceacting makes him sound like a nerd in gym class.

EDIT: How the hell do you all chat? I still haven't figured it out :downs:

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 14, 2017

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
Matchmaking is getting annoying. Doing Elimination and if i stick with it the game matches the full party of 4 against me and whomever stays, the left are filled with bots. So it usually winds up being 4 vs 2.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
lawbringer sounds like an old man trying to squeeze out huge turds every time he swings his halberd around

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Exmond posted:

Matchmaking is getting annoying. Doing Elimination and if i stick with it the game matches the full party of 4 against me and whomever stays, the left are filled with bots. So it usually winds up being 4 vs 2.

Just quit and re-queue as soon as you see your lobby hit <8 players.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I'm really bad at 1v1 duels now. My guard break defense timing is evidently totally off, which is an absolute requirement since every other move is a guard break.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

2 SPOOKY posted:

High level play isn't what the majority of paying customers play at, so aside from the lack of ESPORTS and maybe eventually a dwindled streamer population, I don't see this being a death knell.

If that's a legit problem then i do hope Ubisoft addresses it, but casual gameplay doesn't even vaguely resemble the top tier play I've seen in streams and VODs.

I was just reaching the skill level where attacking became a pointless endeavour during my time in the open beta. I really loved the game up until that point though. It's not like I ever set out to become some kind of For Honor eSportsman, that was just the logical conclusion of the general skill level going higher in my games. like 80% of the game mechanics (footsies, poking, moves that aren't fast, "mix-ups" like kensei's) go out the window when you're just playing as safely as possible while fishing for an opening to parry or to throw out a near-instant Warden zone attack

If the video game community can break the game over its knee and practically reach the skill ceiling on day 1 then the game probably has some design flaws. And I just don't see Ubisoft taking the drastic steps needed to address that (make attacks faster, nerf parrying, increase chip damage, etc.) The game sits in a weird place where it's not casual where everyone can pick up and play it (like Chivalry) and it's not competitive enough to scale well with skill (like a typical fighting game). It's like a fighting game with a steep learning curve but a low overall skill ceiling.

Gammymajams
Jan 30, 2016
How come the warden up R1 often does nothing when you deflect with it?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Minorkos posted:

If the video game community can break the game over its knee and practically reach the skill ceiling on day 1 then the game probably has some design flaws.

There's been like, 3 betas before today where the core combat mechanics were the same. People that are dominating now almost certainly played those.

Av027
Aug 27, 2003
Qowned.

Gammymajams posted:

Your timing is off? It's basically a parry but with light attack rather than heavy. It'll immediately throw a big uninterruptible hit as part of the block.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Gammymajams posted:

Not deflect. I don't mean to nitpick but deflection is a thing, but its for assassins. What you mean is counter.

And I dunno... you're probably using it slightly wrong? What do you mean 'does nothing' ?

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Kaddish posted:

I'm really bad at 1v1 duels now. My guard break defense timing is evidently totally off, which is an absolute requirement since every other move is a guard break.

It definitely changed since beta. Someone mentioned it to me yesterday and I just eyerolled until I tried it. They hosed with it somehow; I think it's a tighter window. I was easily hitting 95% of my guardbreak techs, now I'm hitting about half.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

panda clue posted:

It definitely changed since beta. Someone mentioned it to me yesterday and I just eyerolled until I tried it. They hosed with it somehow; I think it's a tighter window. I was easily hitting 95% of my guardbreak techs, now I'm hitting about half.

Yeah, and the thing is other people aren't great at it either, so matches turn into trading guard breaks.

Gammymajams
Jan 30, 2016
I get the sparkling animation as if the counter landed, but then he kind of freezes in place. I just had a match v a berserker where I thought I landed 4 but only 2 of these did damage. My warden seemed to shuffle forward a bit then not play the attacking animation. I just went into practice mode and it seemed to be working fine v the raider. Is there anything a berserker has to get out of this? I guess I might have only blocked when I thought I R1 countered, but it looked a lot like the start of that animation in the heat of the moment.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

panda clue posted:

Remember how people said to just spam the guard break button to counter? I don't think that works anymore. I tried it against the tutorial bot and never landed a counter when I spammed it, even though that worked in beta. I think now you have to press the counter button at the right timing, and that pressing it before will invalidate your counter.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Internet Kraken posted:

Remember how people said to just spam the guard break button to counter? I don't think that works anymore. I tried it against the tutorial bot and never landed a counter when I spammed it, even though that worked in beta. I think now you have to press the counter button at the right timing, and that pressing it before will invalidate your counter.

Is the timing as soon as the break hits?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

panda clue posted:

Seems like a possible intentional balance thing to make guardbreak more effective and make defensive turtling less effective as a result.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Gammymajams posted:

I get the sparkling animation as if the counter landed, but then he kind of freezes in place. I just had a match v a berserker where I thought I landed 4 but only 2 of these did damage. My warden seemed to shuffle forward a bit then not play the attacking animation. I just went into practice mode and it seemed to be working fine v the raider. Is there anything a berserker has to get out of this? I guess I might have only blocked when I thought I R1 countered, but it looked a lot like the start of that animation in the heat of the moment.

Could be the added latency changes what would be a counter into a block, and that's throwing you off since in local practice its fine.

I figure this game is gonna be kinda like playing most fighting games online where you have to learn to anticipate a tiny bit of lag into your inputs. Good fighting games even let you practice with fake lag against bots.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I like how everyone shouts things in their native language with some good voice lines.

Then you revive a teammate and you hear Steve the intern say in english "Thanks for that"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

There's been like, 3 betas before today where the core combat mechanics were the same. People that are dominating now almost certainly played those.

regardless it shouldnt be possible to punish 99% of the moves in the game on reaction. that's simply bad design