Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

OU is a big ol' Jenga tower of clauses and rulings that have been built up over years and years. I don't understand how some people find it fun, but good for them I guess!

I am also a weird guy that actually likes Battle Spot Singles but that's probably because the battles are fast and furious so you can't get too mad if you lose. You can't have a team that beats everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Is there a calculator somewhere that will tell me exactly which pokemon I can get in Omega Ruby but not Sun?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

And I completely forgot to ask: what are the best EXP grinding spots in the game, outside of the Battle Buffet and Elite Four re-fights? So far I've found Vast Poni Canyon to be good with the common Machoke/Skarmory/Lycanroc spawns. Is that pretty much it for raw EXP gains?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

DizzyBum posted:

OU is a big ol' Jenga tower of clauses and rulings that have been built up over years and years. I don't understand how some people find it fun, but good for them I guess!
I mean, the self-deprecation associated with OU is right there in the name!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
OU (pronounced "ow!")

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

(the dog is Tapu Lele)

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

^ A good post. ^

Whenever I watch OU replays it always comes across as the dullest format. Ubers has sweet legendaries and UU/RU have more variety to the teams.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
OU is actually really fun, or at least was in Gen 6. I haven't played enough Gen 7 to test but Tapu Lele, Mega Sableye, and Greninja definitely seem like That poo poo I Don't Like.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

DizzyBum posted:

And I completely forgot to ask: what are the best EXP grinding spots in the game, outside of the Battle Buffet and Elite Four re-fights? So far I've found Vast Poni Canyon to be good with the common Machoke/Skarmory/Lycanroc spawns. Is that pretty much it for raw EXP gains?

That's pretty much it, plus the daily Morimoto fight.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

tyblazitar posted:

That's pretty much it, plus the daily Morimoto fight.

Oh, thanks, I forgot about Morimoto.

He and the Buffet are good sources of easy daily money with a lv100 Amulet Coin'd fully-trained monster out in front.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

DizzyBum posted:

Oh, thanks, I forgot about Morimoto.

He and the Buffet are good sources of easy daily money with a lv100 Amulet Coin'd fully-trained monster out in front.

Hint: You can do the Battle Buffet as many times as you want as long as you leave before finishing your 10 turns.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

DizzyBum posted:

There isn't anything nearly as good as the Battle Chateau. Your best bet for leveling dudes up is to get some rare kitchens and spend a bunch of FC.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Alxprit posted:

Hint: You can do the Battle Buffet as many times as you want as long as you leave before finishing your 10 turns.

I did not know that. Thanks!

Ogmius815 posted:

There isn't anything nearly as good as the Battle Chateau. Your best bet for leveling dudes up is to get some rare kitchens and spend a bunch of FC.

For all the good things Sun/Moon added, I really do miss X/Y's best features. Mostly O-Powers. I forgot about the Chateau and how useful that was.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Beat the league on my second playthru last night (Gothitelle/Trevenant/Arcanine/Horse, thanks for asking) and GOD drat I'd forgotten there's a ridiculously long chunk of unskippable/unsaveable poo poo afterward. I was trying to get to bed and it just kept going and going and going, and I didn't know whether it'd autosaved at any point after my victory and I didn't want to have to go through the E4 and Professor fight again. Honestly I think it was something in the area of a half an hour of loving cutscenes/mandatory TK battle/cutscenes/credits.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

cancerianmoth posted:

this is why I firmly believe they should bring poke-contests and pokathlons into the online scene and flesh them out. Having multiple ways to use your pokemon competitively would be awesome and gives every pokemon and every move a chance to shine.

This was the biggest disappointment of ORAS

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Getting 4000 FC from the event thing is rad but man every time I get a single FC more I level up and you have to do it one at a time and ohhhhhhh my god it's so slow

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Oh drat I'm gonna get so many bottle caps from resetting my 2* Treasure Hunt repeatedly. What good fun.

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT
I went from 60 to 76 from that FC bounty, so buckle up.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

notoriousman posted:

I went from 60 to 76 from that FC bounty, so buckle up.

I've gone up about 15 levels so far. Taking a break. I think I still have plenty to go.

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

nrook posted:

I've been messing around with building a bot to play singles on Showdown. Would people be interested in me posting status updates on that?

Right now it, uh, picks moves randomly and never switches. But that just means there's a lot of progress I can make!

I would be hella interested in the code for it, because I was actually thinking about something like that the other day

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
My game generated a Rare Kitchen 5* when I levelled up today, that's supposed to be the really good one isn't it? I put it in slot 1. I haven't even got the global mission reward yet. I'm only level 45 or so.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Hammerite posted:

My game generated a Rare Kitchen 5* when I levelled up today, that's supposed to be the really good one isn't it? I put it in slot 1. I haven't even got the global mission reward yet. I'm only level 45 or so.

Yes. That's the one that makes leveling to 100 much less tedious. Having 2 of them is even better.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Is there a guide somewhere on levelling up the festival plaza and the buildings and whatnot? I've almost completely ignored that.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

You simply do things to get fc. Only trick is that those otherwise useless fortune teller tents can randomly give a fc multiplier to some of the activities.

You can't level up stuff, you get a random building offer on levelup and can ask guests to recomend one of their buildings at a fc cost.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I'd love some kind of insider's guide to the Festival Plaza (or, as it's called since I hit lv20, Paisley Park). Like how does it determine who appears there. I keep seeing the same Japanese girl quite frequently for some reason. Unless one of you on my friends list is "cup" in the big giant roman letters the Japanese players get. Or how to get people to do my missions so I'm not soloing Type Matchups all the time. Half the time I see a mission starting on the top crawl, I click on it and it takes me to an empty list, for which refreshing seems to do nothing.

Also: resetting the *2 Treasure Hunt to get a ton of bottle caps. What's that about. I have one of those and I could always use a hundred bottle caps.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Avalerion posted:

those otherwise useless fortune teller tents

My codename, it is Looker.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Diet Poison posted:

Also: resetting the *2 Treasure Hunt to get a ton of bottle caps. What's that about. I have one of those and I could always use a hundred bottle caps.

If you have a friend who can give you 2* Treasure Hunt, every time you pay for it and use it for the first time you'll get a Bottle Cap. You can pay 200 FC to get it if you already have it, or 100 FC to get it if you don't have it currently. People typically cycle through a 1* facility they don't have for the cost of 50 FC and then pay the 100 FC to get the Treasure Hunt. Personally, I replace my 2* Treasure Hunt with the free facility they give you when you level up, and then pay 100 FC to get it back.

Of course, all this is moot if you don't have the proper resources. But it's worth noting.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Only tip I've got is that the last person you traded with via GTS or Wonder Trade is standing inside the castle waiting to give you a few FC. If you're WTing a whole box of breedjects you should be standing next to them and talking to them between trades.

Also getting the right fortune from a tent doubles it.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

This Reddit thread is a good source on Festival Plaza, gaining FC and such: https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/5jgj89/guide_to_mass_farm_festival_plaza_part_2_15k_fc/

Hammerite posted:

My codename, it is Looker.

I can't see Mystery Island today...
*squirm squirm*

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Feb 14, 2017

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Like every hobbyist in the world, I'm happy to talk about my side projects!

So, a Pokemon-playing AI. Pokemon presents somewhat different challenges for an AI than traditional competitive board games like Chess or Backgammon, but it's roughly in the same problem space.

The first major problem is randomness. There's a lot of randomness in Pokemon! Moves can miss, critically hit, or proc special effects. A bot which didn't understand that switching into Scald gets you burned 30% of the time would take lots of unnecessary risks. And some moves result in dramatically different outcomes based on luck; Roar can get you a whole series of different opponents.

Fortunately, "Monte-Carlo" strategies deal with randomness very naturally. Monte-Carlo is a name for techniques where the bot evaluates a decision by playing out hundreds of games randomly from a given decision point. This introduces randomness even into deterministic games, so it's a natural fit with games which already have some randomness.

The second major problem isn't helped by these strategies, though. That's simultaneous actions. Say the bot has Mega Scizor out, with 1HP. Your moves are:

- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance
- Bug Bite
- Superpower

Your opponent is Dugtrio with full health. (Ignore Sucker Punch for now.)

If the bot tries to evaluate the best move when Dugtrio uses Hone Claws or switches, it's going to be a total waste of time, right? In reality, Duggy's going to do one thing, and that's EQ and kill you. So even if Swords Dance sets you up brilliantly after a switch, it really doesn't matter. Your only move is to use Bullet Punch and at least get some damage in before the EQ connects.

In reality, the bot has to guess its opponent's best action, and act as if they're probably going to do that. I'm still reading the literature on problems like this, but I think I should be able to figure something out.

The third is hidden information about your opponent's team. This is a problem I don't know how to solve, to be honest, and I hope a bad solution winds up being enough to still write a strong bot.

Obviously, you can get information from your opponent's moves: if the bad guy uses HP Ice, you know it doesn't have HP Fire. If they take 10% damage from Life Orb, you know they aren't going to use Z-Fly, and so on. That part is easy. You can guess EVs based on the damage taken by Pokemon during the match, too; the bot knows its own Pokemon's stats, so it can do the damage computation backwards to find out its opponent's stats from damage taken.

But there's a harder problem, too. Most Alakazams don't run HP Ice, right? But if your opponent switches in Alakazam immediately after your Garchomp KOs somebody, it's much more likely to hold HP Ice than if your opponent switches in another Pokemon and leaves Zam in reserve. Getting the bot to figure this out is a really hard problem, and I'm inclined to shelve it until it can't be avoided.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

nrook posted:

But there's a harder problem, too. Most Alakazams don't run HP Ice, right? But if your opponent switches in Alakazam immediately after your Garchomp KOs somebody, it's much more likely to hold HP Ice than if your opponent switches in another Pokemon and leaves Zam in reserve. Getting the bot to figure this out is a really hard problem, and I'm inclined to shelve it until it can't be avoided.

The human heuristic for this scenario would be to look at what else he had on preview (i.e. analyze for team coverage) and calculate for dazzling gleam.

Although I imagine in most scenarios if you just did calculations for the most popular sets on any pokemon you could probably be fine.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Feb 14, 2017

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

nrook posted:

This doesn't seem like that big of an extension once the bot can make intelligent analyses of the enemy's best move. Compare A) standard alakazam vs. B) the opponent's other known/probable options vs. C) niche-but-feasible alakazam (HP Ice in this case): if C > B > A, it's probably safe to assume that the opponent is running C.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Anyone run into log-in issues with the Global Link site? I've been trying to log in to sync my game in preparation for the mega stone contest, and it just refreshes the page. Apparently this has been a problem with new accounts for the past couple months at least. I'm afraid I'm sol unless they miraculously fix the problem soon, but I'm hoping a fellow goon has found a work around.

Edit: Nevermind. After a little more research online, I found out you can apparently get around the problem by making a brand new Trainer Club account with a new email. I'm still going through the initial log-in process on the Global Link site, but so far I haven't encountered the same problem as I did with my original account.

glitchwraith fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Feb 14, 2017

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Zoness posted:

The human heuristic for this scenario would be to look at what else he had on preview (i.e. analyze for team coverage) and calculate for dazzling gleam.

Although I imagine in most scenarios if you just did calculations for the most popular sets on any pokemon you could probably be fine.

A bot that periodically scrapes Smogon's website and takes note of what builds they are advocating for a given pokemon in a given format would be impressive. :2bong:

On Festival Plaza: I have a bunch of levels to gain now I think, can you soft reset for stalls?

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I think you can sort of, but it's so utterly tedious and random you're better off buying whatever stall off of someone.

I think the way soft resetting works is that your next stall will never change. But if you don't save, you can soft reset for the stall AFTER your next one.

Again, don't actually do this.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Reinanigans posted:

I think you can sort of, but it's so utterly tedious and random you're better off buying whatever stall off of someone.

I think the way soft resetting works is that your next stall will never change. But if you don't save, you can soft reset for the stall AFTER your next one.

Again, don't actually do this.

I want to get all the custom phrases from the Fortune Teller tents, but there's basically no way to get the Moon-specific ones because players come in two varieties: ones who aren't interested/motivated to do festival plaza stuff, and ones who are super enthusiastic about the game but will only assign value to other stalls like Rare Kitchens.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Hammerite posted:

I want to get all the custom phrases from the Fortune Teller tents, but there's basically no way to get the Moon-specific ones because players come in two varieties: ones who aren't interested/motivated to do festival plaza stuff, and ones who are super enthusiastic about the game but will only assign value to other stalls like Rare Kitchens.

Guilty as charged. What are the Moon-specific ones? If I get offered one of those I can take it and let you know that I've got it, I guess?

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Hammerite posted:

Also, I really want the moon-only ball shop because you can trade FC for premier balls 12 at a time.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Ogmius815 posted:

Also, I really want the moon-only ball shop because you can trade FC for premier balls 12 at a time.

It's a little slower, but can't you use the infinite ball trick in Thrifty Megamart?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Ogmius815 posted:

I have that one!