Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

I honestly don't see how someone can like one but not the other.

Maybe if you really like haunted houses and never get tired of decrepit skeleton men jumping around corners and scaring you. I also really like playing the game where your dad puts a ball under a blanket and then asks you where the ball is. Where the heck did that ball go????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

electrigger
Dec 18, 2005

so gay and you don't even like boys
Resident evil 6 is excellent. Would rate it as probably 2nd best Resident.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

thomawesome posted:

Tetris Attack should be the only officially recognized competitive video game.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

electrigger posted:

Now THAT is an unpopular opinion.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

thomawesome posted:

Tetris Attack should be the only officially recognized competitive video game.

god drat it you're right

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Unreal Tournament is way better than Quake 3

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
All the Doom games suck.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Women are well-respected in the general video game community and receive no harassment ever.

Olive Mohel
Nov 8, 2006

Life is more than a series of ones and zeroes.
Tetris Attack is amazing but it's no Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo.

Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts is a neat game, and that nobody gets mad about stuff like Mario Kart existing but Nuts and Bolts got people so upset only makes sense if you'd rather have nothing than something different.

Half of Genesis music and sound effects sound like robot farts. Games that sound very good on that console were rare.

Metroid Prime is better than Super Metroid (and Super is excellent).

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

I enjoy playing hardcore wargames such as Combat Mission

And also games where I push counters around on a map

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Once you play a Star Ocean or Tales game you should rightfully never want to play another tedious as gently caress Final Fantasy combat game.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

electrigger posted:

resident evil 2 is the best in the series

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Women are well-respected in the general video game community and receive no harassment ever.

:lol:

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
PC gaming is objectively better in every measurable metric and the people who try to say it isn't are describing their own inadequacies and bias while pretending to hide behind the issue of their favorite corporation being superior to other peoples favorite corporations.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
The games industry is deliberately trying to stem the tide of good games because they don't want to raise the bar. If they were truly innovating, we'd be seeing some amazing stuff. But the groundbreaking stuff is watered down or shelved and committees of "gamers" and suits now decide what constitutes a good game. They want to do to games what Hollywood did to movies: lower the bar, appeal to the lowest common denominator. One day only a few of us will remember actual good games and everyone else will be playing beautifully rendered tripe with mediocre voice acting.

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

If they played more than glorified fantasy dating sims (like DA2), they would have more respect. Instead they cry when people threaten to kill them online, which is a tradition older than battle.net.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Arcade style racing games are the only good racing games.

F Zero GX is the best racing game of all time. F Zero X is also top tier.

Other good racing games include San Francisco Rush 2049 and Hydro Thunder.

Burnout 3 is the only good burnout and the only non-arcade style racing game that is still good.

Rally sport games are not very good.

Kart racing games are trash.

Need for Speed, Midnight Club, Forza, and Project Gotham all suck rear end.

Unlocks in racing games are loving bullshit and are always too hard or too tedious to unlock. Nobody likes not being able to drive the cool cars or drive on the cool tracks. This is the only major flaw of F Zero GX.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
dragon age actually wasn't that great

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Metroid was never good. Most Zelda games suck.

DiRT Rally is the only good racing game.

eonwe posted:

dragon age actually wasn't that great

It was trash and not even gimmick voice acting could save it

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
Mass effect 1 is the best game in the series BECAUSE of the (terrible) inventory system and driving around on empty planets in the mako is awesome

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I don't like playing the Souls games (or Bloodborne). Most of the difficulty is just artificial bullshit like the controls being purposefully clunky and I hate that everyone gushes over those games like they are so drat brilliant for doing that.

The very first one had some cool stuff (I enjoyed watching my roommate play it) in terms of the NPCs being interesting and whatever but the rest can go gently caress themselves.

ColoradoCleric posted:

Unreal Tournament is way better than Quake 3

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I'm confused is this thread supposed to be about unpopular (but genuine) video game opinions we have or just straight up fake/ironic video game opinions because it seems like most posters are doing the latter.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I actually liked the Black and White games even though they were pretty broken and wish there was another one. Teaching your evil creature to eat people and poo poo on their houses was great. I also once got curious about reproduction in multi-racial villages and which parent determined the ethnicity of their children. I ended up building a buncha prisons and committing genocide to learn that it was the mother that determined the ethnicity of the child. :smith:

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

Mass effect 1 is the best game in the series BECAUSE of the (terrible) inventory system and driving around on empty planets in the mako is awesome

The gun customization and overheating system was also way better than the others.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Chomp8645 posted:

I'm confused is this thread supposed to be about unpopular (but genuine) video game opinions we have or just straight up fake/ironic video game opinions because it seems like most posters are doing the latter.

It's hard to tell. You know if this was a thanksgiving table we'd drat sure have to ban discussion of games.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

the best game is wizards and warriors 3: visions of power

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

or maybe its the mega drive wonder boy in monster world...choose your own truth...

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
I wish the latter-day paper mario games weren't such dumbed down baby RPGs and more in line with Super Mario RPG

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

phasmid posted:

The games industry is deliberately trying to stem the tide of good games because they don't want to raise the bar. If they were truly innovating, we'd be seeing some amazing stuff. But the groundbreaking stuff is watered down or shelved and committees of "gamers" and suits now decide what constitutes a good game. They want to do to games what Hollywood did to movies: lower the bar, appeal to the lowest common denominator. One day only a few of us will remember actual good games and everyone else will be playing beautifully rendered tripe with mediocre voice acting.

On your first point, I agree on some of it. Many studios no longer care to innovate, take risks, or create unique and rewarding challenges. They care too much about sales and whether or not people can learn the game with minimal effort. There is no complexity, no challenge to improve yourself.

However, there are still some developers who arguably still produce challenging, complex, and unique games. Platinum and From Software are good examples, but you could probably argue against this.

Indie devs at least still have passion for what they make,but sadly indie development is brutal.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
UVO #1:
Video game art and stories like Legacy of Kain, The Last of Us, and The Shadow of the Colossus are not only good, but can literally transcend other narrative art forms or graphic art because of the immersion and influence (or lack thereof) on the events. Joel's final sequence in tLoU is a very strong memory for some players because he has no choice but to save Ellie. The only way to save your baby girl is to murder this doctor and very possibly doom mankind or you might as well drop dead right here.

UVO #2:
In spite of their awesome casts of characters and numerous iterations, fighting games have become unplayable garbage and the only remaining fun one (SSmBros.) gets bullied into becoming as close to un-fun garbage as possible. I want to able to sit down and play Skullgirls or Soul Caliber with friends and feel like the gap between us won't be literally impossible to overcome in a 2-4 hour time frame because they don't understand frames and supers and guard breaks.

UVO #3:
The obviously inappropriate and disproportionate amount of vitriol and harassment women meet in gaming forums, discussions and conventions is not only apparent to anyone with a brain but the fact that it can't just be acknowledged without scathing calls to arms on either side of the debate is like way more of a bigger problem and it's the main reason I think people who don't play video games think we're children and can't get dates. (I think Anita w/e is a tool but no one ever deserves to get threatened with rape at work, that seems kinda basic to me)

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

The Last of Us is overrated trash just like all zombie apocalypse garbage. The characters are boring and the plot is predictable. Zombies are trash forever.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Barkley 2 will eventually be released.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bust Rodd posted:

UVO #1:
Video game art and stories like Legacy of Kain, The Last of Us, and The Shadow of the Colossus are not only good, but can literally transcend other narrative art forms or graphic art because of the immersion and influence (or lack thereof) on the events. Joel's final sequence in tLoU is a very strong memory for some players because he has no choice but to save Ellie. The only way to save your baby girl is to murder this doctor and very possibly doom mankind or you might as well drop dead right here.

UVO #2:
In spite of their awesome casts of characters and numerous iterations, fighting games have become unplayable garbage and the only remaining fun one (SSmBros.) gets bullied into becoming as close to un-fun garbage as possible. I want to able to sit down and play Skullgirls or Soul Caliber with friends and feel like the gap between us won't be literally impossible to overcome in a 2-4 hour time frame because they don't understand frames and supers and guard breaks.

UVO #3:
The obviously inappropriate and disproportionate amount of vitriol and harassment women meet in gaming forums, discussions and conventions is not only apparent to anyone with a brain but the fact that it can't just be acknowledged without scathing calls to arms on either side of the debate is like way more of a bigger problem and it's the main reason I think people who don't play video games think we're children and can't get dates. (I think Anita w/e is a tool but no one ever deserves to get threatened with rape at work, that seems kinda basic to me)

#1 is actually a popular opinion. It's the unpopular opinion that all of those games are boring garbage due to the creators having dreams of being movie producers but taking it out on unfortunate gamers everywhere.

And #3, anyone who inserts gender, politics or gender politics into a child's hobby to fight an ideological war is equally as terrible, on any side.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Chomp8645 posted:

Metroid really is trash though

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Myst is one of the most fun game series ever made despite being nearly impossible to beat without either autism or walkthrough guides.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I've been called a human being, my mother deserves to be raped, and I also deserve to be booty-blasted to death for decades, but its a big problem now that girls play videogames too.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

DICTATOR OF FUNK posted:

oracle of ages and oracle of seasons are massively under-appreciated and were technological marvels for their time

if you had 2 gameboys and a link cable (OR A FRIEND LOL YEAH RIGHT) you could fundamentally change the play of both games and their stories, and each one had like 3 different endings

i tried replaying oracle of ages and i'm still stuck on the part where you have to throw the little things on the conveyor belt, it's the loving worst

the skull dungeon music is my favorite though

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

Chomp8645 posted:

Yes.

WipEout is better than F-Zero (but F-Zero is still really good).

The best Star Wars game is Republic Commando.

Bethesda games are only fun if you deliberately avoid the critical path.

The only way to play shooters on a controller is with the look Y-axis inverted.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Disproportionation posted:

Yes.

WipEout is better than F-Zero (but F-Zero is still really good).

The best Star Wars game is Republic Commando.

Bethesda games are only fun if you deliberately avoid the critical path.

The only way to play shooters on a controller is with the look Y-axis inverted.

Republic Commando is underrated but in no universe where TIE Fighter exists is it the best Star Wars game of all time.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Hustlin Floh posted:

Barkley 2 will eventually be released.

I don't think anyone disputes this, they're well on track to make the promised 2023 release date.

-Final Fantasy 6 is super boring trash
-So are the majority of indie puzzle-platformers like Braid and LIMBO
-World War 2 is cool and needs to come back in video games
-Sonic games were only bad around 2004-2007 and started being good again with Unleashed. Colors and Generations are inarguably great games
-The 2d Zeldas, especially Link to the Past, are boring as hell
-Metroid Prime is the best Metroid game
-Advance Wars: Days of Ruin is the best Advance Wars game, and also Advance Wars is better than Fire Emblem

e: also the super metroid race is almost without fail the least interesting part of any gdq.

Chillgamesh fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Feb 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I hope Half-Life 3 never gets made.