Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

CommonShore posted:

The FTM was the typo.

Yeah, I realized after I re-parsed your post. No worries!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

In my experience, this isn't always true and gender neutral pronouns should probably be used when you're addressing someone who you know is trans but not how they fully identify. S'not like that's hard or intended to cause offence.

Absolutely being gender neutral is an easy way to avoid offense, however if someone is explicitly telling you they identify male or female you're not going to be wrong if you use the pronouns that match that. There's always exceptions of course so if you're the cautious sort I encourage you to do exactly what you say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Yeah, this part isn't as well studied, but the IOC was comfortable enough that it didn't effect athletic performance that it's a non-issue. Anecdotally I've lost like 4" off my biceps so far.

Also these arguments also seem to focus specifically on trans women. Do people just have 0 reservations about trans men fighting cis men? Trans men literally get to jack themselves up on an infinite supply of testosterone to transition yet it never seems to come up.

true. but i think the supposed argument about muscle memory and bone structure applies the other way too, if anything there should be some concern for people born as women intending to fight men. i dont believe that trans athletes have an unfair performance advantage but i do have a really hard time believing that there arent at least some features of the human body exclusive to birth gender that cant be reversed or fortified by hormones or testosterone. its not really my battle to fight though

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I get wanting things to be as fair as possible, and I also get why there are a lot of reasons this is an imperfect metaphor, but I think ultimately it's impossible to regulate physiology to be "fair" to everyone in the same division even within the same gender. Like Jon Jones has stupid physical advantages in that he has gibbon arms and is not 43 years old, and no one argues that he shouldn't be allowed to compete at light heavyweight until he catches up in age to the division's average and gets arm shortening surgery. Bigfoot Silva obviously took hormonal matters into his own hands and rear end, but his pituitary disorder arguably could have been considered a physical advantage as it made him big and powerful or whatever, and people didn't make it super weird about him fighting at heavyweight either.

Again, I know there's a lot more to it with trans fighters, but if people are cool with getting in the cage with Jon Jones knowing he can pluck their eyes out from across the cage, I don't have a problem with people getting in the cage knowing their opponent changed genders or whatever if everyone is cool with it.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

I.N.R.I posted:

true. but i think the supposed argument about muscle memory and bone structure applies the other way too, if anything there should be some concern for people born as women intending to fight men. i dont believe that trans athletes have an unfair performance advantage but i do have a really hard time believing that there arent at least some features of the human body exclusive to birth gender that cant be reversed or fortified by hormones or testosterone. its not really my battle to fight though

yeah. there's definitely questions but i think they mostly exist because nobody's given a gently caress to do any research. now that trans people are coming into the national conversation a bit maybe we'll see some actually studies. even the standard hormone therapy trans people take is based mostly on "well, some doctors gave this poo poo to some folks in the 60s and it worked out ok so this is what we do now". there's very little research into actual optimal treatments and specific effects of the compounds.

otoh, you look at a cis woman like Gabi Garcia and it's pretty clear that some of these extreme body differences are present even in variation amongst cis people. granted her weight would keep her out of any real women's weight class.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I.N.R.I posted:

There's variation in things like bone structure and muscle density among men/women, too. This is where we start to get really complicated, because there's an impulse to start quantifying these things, so beyond the endocrine questions I'm inclined to say "gently caress it."

If a FTM person decides to go fight men, he may have lower bone density than the median male competitor and that's his assumed risk, but a) half of the cis competitors will have below-median bone density relative to all competitors, and b) he also may end up having better flexibility and an easier time making weight because of his differently-shaped pelvis and lighter bones. That's more of a tradeoff than any kind of "advantage," and every human body has those kinds of tradeoffs. For example, Jon Jones has freak arms, but his dick doesn't work.

The TRT question is, as noted, probably the bigger one.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

CommonShore posted:

There's variation in things like bone structure and muscle density among men/women, too. This is where we start to get really complicated, because there's an impulse to start quantifying these things, so beyond the endocrine questions I'm inclined to say "gently caress it."

If a FTM person decides to go fight men, he may have lower bone density than the median male competitor and that's his assumed risk, but a) half of the cis competitors will have below-median bone density relative to all competitors, and b) he also may end up having better flexibility and an easier time making weight because of his differently-shaped pelvis and lighter bones. That's more of a tradeoff than any kind of "advantage," and every human body has those kinds of tradeoffs. For example, Jon Jones has freak arms, but his dick doesn't work.

The TRT question is, as noted, probably the bigger one.

we agree there. but in this particular case i think that stronger research is necessary because its a medical matter rather than biological

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Hopefully there will be enough trans people to have their own division one day because, I, for one, am sick of these big clits and am ready for some lady dick.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
I think WADA has taken the path of least resistance because there's not an athlete good enough to force their hand, but they're inevitably going down a path where the research question is difficult to formulate, difficult to test, and is going to be hugely politicised regardless of the outcome. Not having that research in place but making guidelines anyway sets a bad precedent, doing the research puts an anti doping agency in the uncomfortable position of having to test a spectrum of performance enhancing or inhibiting drugs in athletes (when they already outright ban any hormonal manipulation) and then making recommendations on drug protocols.

Sports performance protocols are horrible, hard to recruit for, and hard to prevent dropout in, which is why you get soldiers forced to run in the heat with a thermometer in their rear end. Ultimately I think this is a minefield nobody gets out of in one piece.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

I don't think we'll have to worry about this anytime soon. Its not like an olympic sport where you can qualify for the trials and if you perform they have no choice but to let you compete, Dana White is going to take one look at the next Fallon Fox and go "oh, hell no". I don't think many B-level promotions will want that headache either.

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!

Rigel posted:

I don't think we'll have to worry about this anytime soon. Its not like an olympic sport where you can qualify for the trials and if you perform they have no choice but to let you compete, Dana White is going to take one look at the next Fallon Fox and go "oh, hell no". I don't think many B-level promotions will want that headache either.

Once again MMA has been saved by our prejudiced white dad.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Rigel posted:

Yeah. Ultimately I don't think you're going to see trans MMA fighters in the high levels of the sport any time soon both because there's just not many of them, and to get to a point where people are talking about you nationally means you are performing near the top of your sport and there's frankly a lot of barriers in front of most trans people that preclude training to that level.

Although I do want to hear Joe Rogan ramble incoherently for a while about whether it's unfair for a trans woman to wear a cup in the octagon since opponents aren't used to accidentally kicking them and hurting their toes or something.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Joe Rogan would more likely rant about how a trans woman shouldn't be allowed to fight cis women, because that was his opinion on Fallon Fox

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Joe Rogan would more likely rant about how a trans woman shouldn't be allowed to fight cis women, because that was his opinion on Fallon Fox

I was more thinking of the scenario where a trans woman fighting in the UFC was a done deal and he had to toe the company line.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Threads getting bad.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I was more thinking of the scenario where a trans woman fighting in the UFC was a done deal and he had to toe the company line.

You're kidding right? Joe Rogan is the guy who made reference to "gash" as a derogatory term for women on a PPV. He wouldn't change his tune one bit.

Mind though that after the Fallon Fox controversy he had Buck Angel on his show and had a fairly sensible (for Joe Rogan) discussion on the topic, and basically admitted to being an ignorant dummy on the topic, and conceded (for that time) that he had quite a bit to learn.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

CommonShore posted:

Mind though that after the Fallon Fox controversy he had Buck Angel on his show and had a fairly sensible (for Joe Rogan) discussion on the topic, and basically admitted to being an ignorant dummy on the topic, and conceded (for that time) that he had quite a bit to learn.

That sounds about right.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Memento posted:

how loving good is the new RTJ

Pretty good but I'm pretty over their maudlin moments

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Work Friend Keven posted:

Threads getting bad.

yeah

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
I think Derrick "The Black Beast" Lewis Vs Travis Browne should be really good, im really rooting for Derrick as he seems to be very funny on social media.

Please tell me he hasn't got any horror stories in his closet and hes a legit nice guy.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

willie_dee posted:

I think Derrick "The Black Beast" Lewis Vs Travis Browne should be really good, im really rooting for Derrick as he seems to be very funny on social media.

Please tell me he hasn't got any horror stories in his closet and hes a legit nice guy.

He has a horror story out in public and it was his last fight

freud mayweather
Jan 29, 2009

Work Friend Keven posted:

Threads getting bad.

Sorry mobln found something new to pretend to be, and we are all adjusting. But just like when they pretended to be exercising or training martial arts, we will adjust and overcome.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Rick "The Derrick Lewis boo boo" Story

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Someone make a trans athletes in MMA thread and go post about your gender theories there please :angel:

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

kensei posted:

Someone make a trans athletes in MMA thread and go post about your gender theories there please :angel:

We did that and admins got mad at it

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

willie_dee posted:

He served three and a half years in prison for aggravated assault (of a KKK guy according to him) and the UFC did a fluff piece on how MMA turned his life around prior to his last fight which was insanely bad

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

david carmichael posted:

We did that and admins got mad at it

But then I don't have to look at it in the UFC thread! There are no trans fighters in the UFC (that we know of) so it doesn't really belong here, Joe Rogan theories be damned.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
I agree that the concept of fairness is fake and also that the science is extremely hard to even formulate into a coherent and meaningful question let alone performing the actual studies. I do think analysis of trans people in mma from both competition and social points of view is more interesting than for instance a Holly Holm fight or a Travis Browne fight or what have you

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
I also think people being nakedly and consistently mean to mobn or anyone without even the pretense of trying to be funny is something that we can do without. It doesn't seem to be funny or fun for anyone involved, so why in the world are we doing it

david carmichael fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Feb 14, 2017

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

david carmichael posted:

I also think people being nakedly and consistently mean to mobn or anyone without even the pretense of trying to be funny is something that we can do without. It doesn't seem to be funny nor fun for anyone involved, so why in the world are we doing it

i was worried about precedent when the worst poster in the thread made fun of the second worst poster in the thread and a new moderator took action

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Be nice, unless it's funny, then don't be nice.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Joe rogan knows way less about gender than me in the imaginary conversations he has in my mind

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

https://twitter.com/bokamotoESPN/status/831559504923799552

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/831560488345563138

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I think Browne is gonna finish da beast

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Please, everyone please be dumb enough to let Conor get his head boxed off on PPV.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Browne probably wins this one, and then loses to whoever his next fight is to keep him out of a title shot, per Chael Sonnen's demon pact

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Follow Joanna on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/p/BQef6lXl1vv/

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Joe rogan knows way less about gender than me in the imaginary conversations he has in my mind

When I run this convo I'm slightly ahead on gender but hes winning on bigfoot & his news radio stories are better than my story about the time a guy tried to bury his dog in a culvert installation, plus his muscles are bigger, but it's due to TRT. Anyways all this isn't that important because the scenario quickly shifts to phase two, we're trapped in Germany & have to find wives in 24 hours or a bomb goes off.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

tesilential posted:

Mobn, never change

lol

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

She is adjusting to life in Florida well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

I wonder if the UFC is on board. Maybe they will just get 10% of Conor's purse or something. But if they aren't I wonder how long they could hold it up in court. Its unclear how enforceable UFC contracts are w/r/t other sports, especially with how close MMA comes to falling under the Ali act

• Locked thread