Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Paradox's year end report. I'm gonna chalk up all of that profit to the Stellaris Leviathans DLC, don't mind if I do. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Paradox's year end report. I'm gonna chalk up all of that profit to the Stellaris Leviathans DLC, don't mind if I do. :v:

Pretty darn good, being a stockowner in Paradox means that I can buy even more paradox games!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Pump it up! Do it! posted:

Pretty darn good, being a stockowner in Paradox means that I can buy even more paradox games!

I don't have stock in them, alas, but I take it as a good sign: more money means they can keep making and publishing the kind of games I like! :D

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Real talk I'm glad Paradox is making money and can keep making games because I like their stuff.

And it looks like a fun place to work, based on all the paradox goon twitter shenanigans I see.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

ZearothK posted:

I had fun from the demo and am looking forward to the full release, like I said it is not nearly as bad as Supreme Ruler or Steppe Wolfe, though it has a fair amount of Eastern European jank and it is not as refined as CK2 or EU4. I really recommend doing the tutorial because while it uses a formula evidently derived from Paradox games it turns some assumptions on its head. The projects, task and bloc systems are essential to understanding how the game works, and it is much more gamist than simulationist in design. One major difference that I liked is that war is way more abstracted, you essentially assign units to a campaign and then order operations which uses and targets different units, providing or losing you warscore based on their success, which works, since the focus of the game is on geopolitics.

Germany and Russia got a lot of custom events during the demo, but they are probably some of the more content heavy countries and were deliberately chosen for this. I played through the Germany scenario, which tasks you with forming a Germanic Bloc and containing Russia as its main goals. It is definitely rough around the edges, the UI could use some work and the five years allowed in the demo while full are certainly not enough to assess the quality of a grand strategy game (See: Stellaris), so it is very possible that its systems break down on the long term and the jank wins over the mechanics, but appears to be a respectable effort from a new studio and I am glad to see new ideas being brought to this genre. I'll be likely buying it on the 16th and will drop fuller impressions when my schedule permits, provided it is not considered off-topic for this thread.

Go ahead, I'm looking forward to it. Paradox games at this point are still basically a genre of their own, and I'm glad to see some competition that isn't completely terrible.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Fredrik's CEO report should be sent out to everyone who applies for a job at Paradox. It's just brimming with leadership and charisma and is everything you'd want your boss to be.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Alchenar posted:

Fredrik's CEO report should be sent out to everyone who applies for a job at Paradox. It's just brimming with leadership and charisma and is everything you'd want your boss to be.

Before the IPO I was at a event where Fredrik introduced the company and he was really great on stage and extremely committed to not cashing out and instead thinking long term.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat
I am watching the 5th Anniversary CK2 video on Youtube and am enjoying seeing just how much the game changed since the alpha version.

I hope the do the same for EU4 to see how much has changed since Magna Mundi WORLD STAGE the alpha.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
Hoped you also liked my part of that stream talking about how I came in to the company just struggling with not fan-girling in the presence of Doomdark and Johan....

logger
Jun 28, 2008

Soiled Meat

Groogy posted:

Hoped you also liked my part of that stream talking about how I came in to the company just struggling with not fan-girling in the presence of Doomdark and Johan....

It was all good, how was the invisible cake?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Groogy posted:

That one questions (statement?) was true... if you were blond you would be a pretty good match of the CK2 cover knight.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

Soiled Meat

Zero One posted:

That one questions (statement?) was true... if you were blond you would be a pretty good match of the CK2 cover knight.

I totally though that as well. I saw Groogy before I noticed the knight on the side of the screen and thought "Wait was that drawing based on him?" when I finally noticed it.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

logger posted:

It was all good, how was the invisible cake?

Tasteless :haw:

Zero One posted:

I was blond when I was a kid... so who knows...

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Release magna mundi

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Groogy posted:

You were exactly the way I imagined you to be Groogs.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
Trying to get the Reign of the Ancients mod installed for EU:Rome but it always crashed during startup, can anyone give a step-by-step instruction on what to do? All of the explanations I found were rather vague.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Step 1: Wait for patch to come out
Step 2: Cry

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Groogy posted:

Step 1: Wait for patch to come out
Step 2: Cry

Civ 6 already has this covered

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
This is now the fourth time I've bought Paradox's games:

The first was from Gamersgate when I was first dipping my toes into digital distribution

The second was when I wanted to re-buy everything on Steam for my convenience

And then I moved out of my parents's house last year after getting married, and left my desktop there, but I didn't want to take my Steam account with it because my dad is using that computer now, so I bought the Europa engine games on GOG

And just now I bought the Paradox pack again as a daily deal for my second Steam account

feller
Jul 5, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

This is now the fourth time I've bought Paradox's games:

The first was from Gamersgate when I was first dipping my toes into digital distribution

The second was when I wanted to re-buy everything on Steam for my convenience

And then I moved out of my parents's house last year after getting married, and left my desktop there, but I didn't want to take my Steam account with it because my dad is using that computer now, so I bought the Europa engine games on GOG

And just now I bought the Paradox pack again as a daily deal for my second Steam account

Two more times and we get Victoria 3

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

realpolitik will be out in less than an hour...

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Welp I guess RIP me. Last hour I work here then I guess.

Seriously though, best of luck to them and hopefully they get a nice release! What do they say, highest praise you can get is having your work copied?

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Finally getting around to playing Vic2, played around a bit with Brazil and really liking it. Any good tutorials on the game? Trade and production never clicked. I got the idea of using focus and tax policy to create craftman and to implement full communism now to build factories but didn't get past that yet.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Stairmaster posted:

realpolitik will be out in less than an hour...

I will jump right into the fantasy scenario and conquer the world as Animeland.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

lamentable dustman posted:

Finally getting around to playing Vic2, played around a bit with Brazil and really liking it. Any good tutorials on the game? Trade and production never clicked. I got the idea of using focus and tax policy to create craftman and to implement full communism now to build factories but didn't get past that yet.

Check lparchive for kersch playing Brazil. It helped me a lot when I was learning

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Senor Dog posted:

Check lparchive for kersch playing Brazil. It helped me a lot when I was learning

also, don't be afraid to ask in this thread. vicky2 players are a group who love sharing our useless knowledge

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
^^^^^^^
My post below clearly demonstrates how true this is.

lamentable dustman posted:

Trade and production are super confusing but you don't need to fully understand them to play the game. Some general tips:

Trade: the rule here is that the higher in the rankings you are, the more goods you'll have access to. All goods produced are first sold on the local market (I.e. To others in your own nation or in your sphere). If they still have goods left after that, they go on the global market, where higher ranking nations get a chance to buy before lower ranking ones. So to ensure your artisans/factories get the supplies they need, you either will need to have a big nation/sphere with a large variety of produced goods, or be up near the top of the great powers list (although to be honest the former tends to lead to the latter anyway). One important caveat is that import tariffs only apply to goods purchased on the global market, so if you're relying on them for income you need to be careful who you add to your sphere, since goods purchased from within your sphere are considered local and thus you can accidentally hobble your budget by sphering China or something like that. That said, if you're near the bottom of the great power list and struggling for goods, it might still be worthwhile taking the income hit to get first dibs on the stuff you need. You can generally leave most trading on automatic - although it is a good idea to manually set military supplies like artillery to stockpile a bunch, since demand is pretty low during peacetime meaning the AI will never build very many factories producing them, and you'll find yourself easily starved of military goods if you want to build a bunch of forces at once or go to war and need to keep up with losses.

Production: production comes down to a few factors - resource availability and production efficiency. The latter only affects factories so while artisans will be doing the bulk of the production in the early game, factories will eventually overtake them not just due to having a larger workforce (artisans are middle class while craftsmen are lower class), but simply by being able to produce more products from less raw material. Resource availability depends on trade, as mentioned above, but also on how much your citizens can actually afford to buy - if goods are available on the market but your people are broke, they won't buy them. This is one of the causes behind the infamous artisan death spiral - artisans rely on producing goods to make money, but if they run out of money then they won't be able to purchase the raw materials they need, meaning they will be broke forever. You can relieve the cost burden a bit by setting your import tariffs to a negative value (subsidizing imports rather than taxing them), and lowering taxes on your people. The latter isn't really that important though - tax efficiency starts off pretty terrible so feel free to set everyone to 100%; they'll only actually be paying about 30%. One of the main benefits of factories is that you can subsidize them directly, avoiding the same death spiral that afflicts artisans by covering their losses on days when they don't sell all their goods.

For factories, you get the best output with a balance of 20% clerks and 80% craftsmen, but you don't tend to need to be super anal about it. Efficiency techs help them produce more stuff - input efficiency means they need less raw material to produce the same output, output efficiency means they produce more goods from the same amount of raw materials, and throughout efficiency means they can simply work more input per person. Input/output efficiency are therefore the best things to aim for, since they effectively create more goods from nothing. Throughput doesn't give you anything for free, but it does mean your overall production will be higher, so it can help with meeting demand so long as you've got the raw materials to feed it. When you're building factories yourself there's no hard rule on what you should be building, but there are a few good choices:
-Anything military. As mentioned above, the AI tends to be very lax in producing military goods so the best way to get them is just make them yourself.
-Material goods. Stuff that is needed to make other stuff, like electric gears, steel, machine parts, etc. These tend to be a common choke point in the production chain.
-Anything in high demand. This is fairly obvious but if you can't think of anything else to build, just go with what people want right now. Bear in mind that this might not pay off consistently long-term. The AI likes to produce things based on demand so what starts off in low supply can quickly oversaturate the market as they finish building their factories.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Feb 16, 2017

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Honestly I hope they simplify the economy HOI4 style for Vicky 3 because I've played a lot of Vicky 2 and that poo poo still confuses the hell out of me. Not in that I don't understand it, it's just a lot of work to keep up with it when you've got so many other things going on.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I don't think the mechanics need to be simplified, they just need to be presented better. A lot of the time it's not very clear why your people are starving or your tanks aren't being built, because the trade interface is so dense and hard to grasp intuitively. Vicky's main problem is UI based; the underlying mechanics aren't actually that complicated (although they are unintuitive). There are also some smaller mechanical changes that could help to make the economy run more smoothly (factories/artisans keeping cash reserves or being able to take loans so they don't fold after one day of bad sales, generally being smarter about anticipating supply and demand when constructing factories, etc.) so that some of the more frustrating "everything is out of control and I can't do anything about it" situations just don't occur.

Although there are some features from HoI4 that I think would be great in a hypothetical Victoria 3. Peace conferences would make way more sense in Victoria than HoI since when you get the peace conference in HoI4, that's basically the end of the game - whatever you actually do during the conference doesn't really matter (unless you plan on going for round 2 with like the allies vs. comintern). I also really would like to see the HoI4 style attack planning and focus on long fronts and large scale warfare rather than EU style whack-an-army, although that's a bit trickier since it would only really make sense for the latter half of Victoria's timeframe (maybe it could be something that gets unlocked with "Great Wars"? With tech development slowly transitioning you from a small standing professional army to focusing on large conscripted forces).

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 16, 2017

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

Nothing says "perfect execution" like "7/10"

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

bees everywhere posted:

Honestly I hope they simplify the economy HOI4 style for Vicky 3 because I've played a lot of Vicky 2 and that poo poo still confuses the hell out of me. Not in that I don't understand it, it's just a lot of work to keep up with it when you've got so many other things going on.

I've played like 20 hours of Vicky 2 and I have no idea how the economy works

...also anything else

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

COOL CORN posted:

...also anything else

20 hours? You are just precious, you little optimist you. :allears:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Mister Adequate posted:

20 hours? You are just precious, you little optimist you. :allears:

To be fair I have like 500+ combined hours into CK2/EU4/HOI3/4, I just don't understand Vicky 2 at all.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Hey come on now, we all have been at only a mere 500h of paradox games once in our lives so be nice. I was about 15 then....
gently caress sake what happened to the last 10 years of my life?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

bees everywhere posted:

Honestly I hope they simplify the economy HOI4 style for Vicky 3

Noooooo

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
What's the standard army composition in V2 again? I know it's 2-4 Guards for the wings, 1 to 1 ratio of cannons to infantry, but I can't recall which cavalry to use, if at all.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

What's the standard army composition in V2 again? I know it's 2-4 Guards for the wings, 1 to 1 ratio of cannons to infantry, but I can't recall which cavalry to use, if at all.

It really doesn't matter, v2 combat is pathetically easy

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

It doesn't matter after you hit the mobilization button.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

bees everywhere posted:

A capitalist re-tools a factroy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

COOL CORN posted:

...also anything else

Short answer: It doesn't. Any semblance of it doing so is the result of endless hours of balancing resources and techs so that the world economy wouldn't crash when a dozen Irish artisans switch away from producing clippers.