Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I wouldn't mind having the whole world Mirrored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
That DLC's terrible, but I'll still buy it to support Nintendo. It's a compromise I can life with.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If it's taking until Holiday for the "actual" content to be released, that seems to indicate that they didn't just chop up stuff they were already working on/finished and sell it to you separately. In other words, it sounds like they're shipping a full game, and then afterward generating original content for it, the right way to do DLC.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I don't understand how I am supposed to enjoy this DLC 3 months after release, I will have already beaten the game and thrown it in the trash by that point. Really missing the ball by not having this available at launch, like most people want. Good job Nintendo.

Are you really arguing in favor of launch day DLC?

EDIT: Or have I missed the joke you're making?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Back in my day, hard mode came with the game when you bought it! They even had a Very Hard mode sometimes, AND for free

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
Is this thread doing that thing where the Entire Internet is having one reaction so it feels compelled to have the exact opposite one? It's really weird to see people not only defending it, but doing it so with arguments such as "no one is FORCING you to buy it"

dude, that's an argument that a literal toddler would feel embarrassed about bringing to the table. if that's all you got then maybe that says something

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Is the internet mad about the DLC? I'm not super stoked but I'm interested in seeing how the second DLC works. What if it's their Majora's Mask?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Nintendo has a good track record of making non ripoff dlc so I think this dlc will end up being good.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

s.i.r.e. posted:

I wouldn't mind having the whole world Mirrored.

It all flips upside down like Castlevania: SOTN.

You start up the game and Link just floats off into deep space forever

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

Is the internet mad about the DLC? I'm not super stoked but I'm interested in seeing how the second DLC works. What if it's their Majora's Mask?

People are mad, yeah.

I'm personally more confused by how the thread is cheering for it, particularly the hard mode since that's something that absolutely should be in the product to begin with.

E: Like I'll hold my breath on the story mode until I see it but based on it being a single dungeon I don't see the content added being significant enough for that price.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Feb 14, 2017

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
We don't know what Hard Mode will be. Apparently the game is already plenty difficult in terms of damage/enemy encounters. Hard Mode could be anything from a lame paid DLC "Hero Mode" to a complete overhaul/second quest scenario. It'll likely fall somewhere in between.

By all accounts, the game is absolutely massive, and complete. This DLC seems like the right kind of DLC where it really is additional content to supplement an already complete game. Any complaints are immediate gut reactions without actually thinking things through, and the inevitable echo chamber of people parroting what they've read elsewhere.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Reinanigans posted:

We don't know what Hard Mode will be. Apparently the game is already plenty difficult in terms of damage/enemy encounters. Hard Mode could be anything from a lame paid DLC "Hero Mode" to a complete overhaul/second quest scenario. It'll likely fall somewhere in between.

By all accounts, the game is absolutely massive, and complete. This DLC seems like the right kind of DLC where it really is additional content to supplement an already complete game. Any complaints are immediate gut reactions without actually thinking things through, and the inevitable echo chamber of people parroting what they've read elsewhere.

By that same token, cheering in the thread is also unfounded, based purely on a guttural response and probably driven partially by.contrarian backlash in the case of a few individuals.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Feb 14, 2017

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
I've always wanted to run around Hyrule and see how things turned out for everyone after I defeated Ganon so this sounds 💯

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

TheKingofSprings posted:

People are mad, yeah.

I'm personally more confused by how the thread is cheering for it, particularly the hard mode since that's something that absolutely should be in the product to begin with.

E: Like I'll hold my breath on the story mode until I see it but based on it being a single dungeon I don't see the content added being significant enough for that price.

$20 gets us everything right? I don't think it's a bad price but yeah, it doesn't seem like there's much content in what we're getting.

I wish we'd get themed poo poo like Hyrule Warriors that featured things from past Zeldas, like adding new towns and characters lifted from other games and adding new enemies to random mob spawns.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
The first thing I thought was a Majoras Mask situation. While it almost certainly isn't, Nintendo better do a few more things with these huge assets they have been building for years. Especially with the release cycle of the system, it'd be a travesty if they don't do another game with it.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I'm not "defending" the DLC, but I don't see a problem with it. Maybe its because I've been out of touch with video gaming since very early on in the Xbox 360 days (other than playing Skyward Sword on Wii), but extra content is.......good? I'm happy that after my marathon session to beat BotW immediately after opening my brand new Nintendo Switch won't be the last time I enjoy new 3D Zelda content for the next 5-6 years. :shrug:

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I hope the new story just cranks up the outlines and the sea level.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's not like Zelda has a limited shelf life. Whenever the DLC comes out, you can take out your BotW cart and play the new content. Unless you traded it in, like a moron.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Is it a case where there's a Hard Mode only if you buy the DLC, or is it a "New Hard Mode" to supplement the Hard Mode that may or may not already be in the game?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Literally Kermit posted:

Is it a case where there's a Hard Mode only if you buy the DLC, or is it a "New Hard Mode" to supplement the Hard Mode that may or may not already be in the game?

All evidence right now points to the former but we'll know for sure in 18 days.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Macintosh HD posted:

Are you really arguing in favor of launch day DLC?

EDIT: Or have I missed the joke you're making?

Yes you missed the joke.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Mahoning posted:

I'm not "defending" the DLC, but I don't see a problem with it. Maybe its because I've been out of touch with video gaming since very early on in the Xbox 360 days (other than playing Skyward Sword on Wii), but extra content is.......good?

It just depends on how much new content there is, it's $20 to get it all, so a third of the full game's price, if it only adds and hour or two of new things that's a pretty bad value.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
So far the reaction I'm seeing on the internet is people having the same mixed reactions we are here. Some people are interested, some people want to see how it plays out. The only outright anger I can find are people who don't understand the difference between Nintendo not unveiling any new info about the Switch and Aonuma being done with BotW and wanting to share what he plans on working on next.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

My thought is simple: I'm not pessimistic, but I am cautious. I want to know what I'm getting into. I don't see a need to pre-purchase the packs before entirely knowing what they'll consist of. For now, I'll just sit and wait.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I'm okay with the idea of DLC just judging from Nintendo's past DLC but I really wish hard mode was available at launch.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Just FYI, there is a "Pro" mode available at launch that removes the mini map and the temperature & sound level indicators. It can just toggle on or off.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Mahoning posted:

Just FYI, there is a "Pro" mode available at launch that removes the mini map and the temperature & sound level indicators. It can just toggle on or off.

Minimal HUD is my jam

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

On the disk there's Normal and Extreme modes, Hard is paid. You have to finish Hard to unlock Extreme, however.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I haven't seen this level of "People picking apart every new detail and trying to find potential negative about said thing." in a long time.

You should visit the Mass Effect Andromeda thread then :v:

Don't call the positivity police on me, thread, but I think the DLC looks like great value and I'm gonna buy it and have fun with Zelda in March then have more fun with Zelda down the track :3:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Mahoning posted:

totally doing that btw. gently caress the minimap, the geography looks varied enough that I can navigate by eye.

SirPenguin posted:

Is this thread doing that thing where the Entire Internet is having one reaction so it feels compelled to have the exact opposite one? It's really weird to see people not only defending it, but doing it so with arguments such as "no one is FORCING you to buy it"

dude, that's an argument that a literal toddler would feel embarrassed about bringing to the table. if that's all you got then maybe that says something

i'm cautiously optimistic about the DLC.
I would like it if Hard Mode was something cool that changed the game in a big way. It would be cool if they did a full blown 2nd/Master Quest for the game but I figure that's pretty unlikely.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SirPenguin posted:

But.....no-one is forcing you to buy it??

I think there are good and bad parts of this DLC announcement. Definitely think the Winter pack sounds like it's gonna be some hefty original content, and I'm excited as heck for that, not fussed about the others but $20 is so little that who even cares

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If you want someone to force you to buy it, I'll volunteer.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Aonuma was asked if they would be combining the console and handheld Zelda teams together and he said no, he likes how they approach games differently.

Then he was asked if the handheld Zelda team could be producing for the Switch, to which he said "Yes, there is definitely a possibility".

This is awesome news. If we just go back and forth from 2D to 3D Zelda games every year or two on the Switch, I will hand Nintendo all of my money.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
...Remember that DLC and the willingness of the general gaming public to purchase it blindly has led to less content/less complete games being sold at launch, with the promise of DLC to finish/pad out the skeleton after launch, if you buy it.

I rode the Destiny and Division train, and...it wasn't that fun.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Based on how people are saying Nintendo has handled DLC in the past, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. I have no doubt that Breath of the Wild is a complete game. They didn't announce this DLC when the game was announced, they announced it after work on the game had stopped. Aside from whatever this hard mode is, everything announced seems like something that will be in addition to BotW, not something that should have been part of it to begin with.

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
It was really nice of them to announce the DLC just a few weeks before release. Totally not a deliberate move.

EDIT - oh also do not show this added content. Definetly a transparent business decision.

Ronnie fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Feb 14, 2017

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Escobarbarian posted:

but $20 is so little that who even cares

This. Will probably cop and not give a poo poo what the DLC content is (pretty good since Nintendo)

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

PerrineClostermann posted:

...Remember that DLC and the willingness of the general gaming public to purchase it blindly has led to less content/less complete games being sold at launch, with the promise of DLC to finish/pad out the skeleton after launch, if you buy it.

I rode the Destiny and Division train, and...it wasn't that fun.

There's a key difference there, tho: those games are bad. Good games are good.

Smash, MK8, Splatoon, Super Luigi U, etc. have shown that Nintendo is good with their DLC and making sure you get a full game before having to pay any extra, by that hand i'm optimistic for the BotW dlc. I'll probably wait until the hard mode stuff is shown off before buying, or potentially wait until the extra story/dungeon is out, since extra items for the early game doesn't appeal to me.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Ronnie posted:

It was really nice of them to announce the DLC just a few weeks before release. Totally not a deliberate move.

EDIT - oh also do not show this added content. Definetly a transparent business decision.

This post is baffling to me on several levels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

bef posted:

This. Will probably cop and not give a poo poo what the DLC content is (pretty good since Nintendo)

I'm gonna get it too, but it doesn't mean it's a good $20 well spent.