Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

Panera Brad's tomato soup

Maybe you'd have better luck if you went to the actual place and not to Brad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Ytlaya posted:

My dad is like this with movie theaters. He remembers how in the past you used to always want to get to movies like 30+ minutes early (partly because in older theaters without heavily sloped seating you'd be hosed if someone remotely tall sat in front of you), and won't believe me when I say how you don't have to arrive early at all anymore unless it's the opening weekend of a really popular movie (at least in my city). And even then you usually don't have to get there that early.

I guess this ties into a more general pet peeve of people assuming that things always stay the same and what was once common sense will always be common sense.
I might be late on this, but I'm a 20 something non-parent who does the same thing and I'm secretly happy to know it's not just me. In my case it has to do with growing up in a small town with only two single-screen movie theaters and non-sloped seating, so if you wanted to see a moderately popular movie at any point on opening weekend (or for a week or two after), you had to make sure you got there before the rest of the town did and filled up every parking space for a mile around (parking being streetside only, naturally).

But by god, you'd be SUPER pleased with yourself if you got there early enough for your favorite seat, and you'd sit in it for 30 straight minutes with no distractions whatsoever. Every time.

Now that I live in a city with three theaters and a total of 46 screens, I'm trying to break the habit. But I still have that irrational need to make sure we get decent seats and aren't sneaking in after the trailers have started because the concessions line was unexpectedly long.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Parasol Prophet posted:

I might be late on this, but I'm a 20 something non-parent who does the same thing and I'm secretly happy to know it's not just me. In my case it has to do with growing up in a small town with only two single-screen movie theaters and non-sloped seating, so if you wanted to see a moderately popular movie at any point on opening weekend (or for a week or two after), you had to make sure you got there before the rest of the town did and filled up every parking space for a mile around (parking being streetside only, naturally).

But by god, you'd be SUPER pleased with yourself if you got there early enough for your favorite seat, and you'd sit in it for 30 straight minutes with no distractions whatsoever. Every time.

Now that I live in a city with three theaters and a total of 46 screens, I'm trying to break the habit. But I still have that irrational need to make sure we get decent seats and aren't sneaking in after the trailers have started because the concessions line was unexpectedly long.

I watched Moana a few days ago in the second row and thought it was going to be horrible, but it was fine. It was a cinema with reclining seats though, not sure if that made a difference or not.

also, you're all a bunch of damp squids

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

WampaLord posted:

Maybe you'd have better luck if you went to the actual place and not to Brad.

Now I have this mental image of Brad Jones making soup, and I love it.

Content: I like videos in which I watch talented people doing things with their talent, usually in a calm, unflashy way. I don't care if it's something as simple as fitting someone for a shoe, designing a bespoke jacket, painting, examining someone, whatever. It's just fascinating to me. The problem is, for every video that's about someone being measured for a bespoke suit, or whatever, there's some jank-rear end ASMR dude acting like he's fitting someone for a suit, whispering while eating a damned sandwich.

I guess you could say that it's my pet peeve that the niche stuff I like regularly gets co-opted by another, creepier niche.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 08:09 on Feb 14, 2017

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
People who wear flip-flops in the office and sometimes, but not always, those same people who also drag their feet across the carpets. For gently caress's sake you're in a professional if quite casual environment and in your 20s/30s, dress like an adult and put in the minimum amount of effort required to walk properly. They're not in my team so I won't make a huge drama out of it but goddamn :argh:

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
People who lie about really simple things to try and avoid confrontation. I ordered some pizzas tonight and the guy said 'pick them up at 7:30'. No worries, I go to the restaurant at 7:30 and the guy says '5 minutes'. I ended up waiting 20 minutes because they were filling two catering orders ahead of my order. Dude, just say 'hey, we got a couple of catering orders so your pizza might be 20 minutes' and I can go and have a smoke or get a drink or something instead of standing around awkwardly while you say '5 minutes' over and over. I experience this a lot with people in retail / customer service and while I get that there's a certain type of customer who will flip out and get lovely when you say something's going to take longer than expected isn't it better to be honest and set reasonable expectations instead of saying what you think people want to hear?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I think that's one of those things that people must be taught to do by the management - when they don't know, just say "5, 10 minutes". I know they can't just say "I don't know" and leave it at that, but they could say "I don't know, let me go find out" and get the real answer instead of just guessing.

Also I hate flipflops too unless you're at the beach. People always let them get really gross (I've seen someone whose soles were nearly black after wearing them all day) and nobody wants to see your feet at work. That also goes for on airplanes too. Even if they don't stink (usually they do when you've been flying all day), it's very weird to go barefoot on a plane. Socks are the middle ground that is borderline acceptable, but it's still annoying is they do smell bad and I'd strongly advise that you put your shoes on when going to the bathroom at least.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
I received an email from my ISP informing me that due to their improved customer service my broadband will be going up by 2.50 a month. If they provided decent a broadband service in the first place they wouldn't need to provide better customer service.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

MisterBibs posted:

My pet peeve of the moment is with Panera Brad's tomato soup. It's not pureed enough; there are chunks of tomato in the thing, which is gross and a sin against our Lord Campbell, who blesses us with tasty, uniform tomato soups.

This, part of an overall larger pet peeve of mine, as I'm trying to eat a little better on my lunch breaks, and I could totally live off a cup of soup for lunch... if not for the chunks. Ugh.

Campbell's tomato soup is pretty much HFCS and water.

Seriously, that poo poo has more sugar per can than is in three whole Krispy Kreme glazed donuts. If you're trying to eat a little better, you can make your own tomato soup for pennies on the dollar compared to the condensed stuff. It tastes just as good, it's cheaper, and it's way better for you.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

mobby_6kl posted:

For gently caress's sake you're in a professional if quite casual environment and in your 20s/30s, dress like an adult

There's a lot to hate about Steve Bannon, and I do, but it irritates me how he doesn't clean himself up for the loving White House. He should clean himself up anyway but especially for the White House. I can smell him from inside the screen.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Playing a board game, someone says, "pass me the dice." Seems fine, right?

But there's only one die!! 'Dice' is the plural of 'die'!!

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
What about data/datum and media/medium?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Killingyouguy! posted:

Playing a board game, someone says, "pass me the dice." Seems fine, right?

But there's only one die!! 'Dice' is the plural of 'die'!!

That depends, are you in the US or the UK?

Dice is commonly used to indicate a single die in the UK.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Tea Bone posted:

I received an email from my ISP informing me that due to their improved customer service my broadband will be going up by 2.50 a month. If they provided decent a broadband service in the first place they wouldn't need to provide better customer service.

I'm guessing you're with BT? I got a similar email from them after spending several fruitless weeks trying to downgrade my service to save money. I don't need super fast loving lightning broadband, you assholes put me on there without making it clear, and are now feeding me complete horse poo poo to delay a downgrade. :mad:

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Comcast told me the data caps that they instituted out of the blue were to "improve service." Haha cunts.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

poptart_fairy posted:

after spending several fruitless weeks trying to downgrade my service to save money

Comcast pulled this poo poo with me and I was furious. "Hey guys I need internet--just internet--and all I'm doing is light-duty stuff. I do not need TV or phone or a DVR or whatever. I do not need a custom T1 line. I want the cheapest possible cable internet package you have because it will suit my needs perfectly."

*signs fai up for elite $119/mo internet package with TV and phone*

"TURN THIS poo poo OFF THIS IS NOT WHAT I WANTED"

"What? Well why would you want slower internet and no TV?"

"JUST GIVE ME WHAT I WANTED"

"Welp we'll have to get back to you about that sir I'm sure we can work that out"

*sends out another bill for $119*

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I called my internet/tv/phone company telling them I was moving away and they actually asked if I'd consider staying if they took off 25% a month. I get that you have to ask anyone cancelling but the script should include some common sense. You aren't going to retain a customer moving out of your service area no matter how hard you try, sorry.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

ew that reminds me, we're currently using comcast since it's all this apartment has, and the new place we're moving to has both comcast and verizon, the latter of which is preferable, and I'm not looking forward to cancelling w/ comcast lol

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

The Snoo posted:

and I'm not looking forward to cancelling w/ comcast lol

Look up their coverage map and tell them you're moving to a place they don't serve. Automatic shortcut to the end of the script :eng101:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Comcast pulled this poo poo with me and I was furious. "Hey guys I need internet--just internet--and all I'm doing is light-duty stuff. I do not need TV or phone or a DVR or whatever. I do not need a custom T1 line. I want the cheapest possible cable internet package you have because it will suit my needs perfectly."

*signs fai up for elite $119/mo internet package with TV and phone*

"TURN THIS poo poo OFF THIS IS NOT WHAT I WANTED"

"What? Well why would you want slower internet and no TV?"

"JUST GIVE ME WHAT I WANTED"

"Welp we'll have to get back to you about that sir I'm sure we can work that out"

*sends out another bill for $119*

My brother in arms. :negative:

I was furious when I looked at the account in detail - curious how said information package was delayed until after the line had been set-up - and saw how much poo poo I'd been strung up for.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

If you're trying to eat a little better, you can make your own tomato soup for pennies on the dollar compared to the condensed stuff. It tastes just as good, it's cheaper, and it's way better for you.

You aren't the first to lie to me about that. I've had to choke down some seriously lovely homemade tomato soups over the years, by my hand or others who thought I was Doing It Wrong. poo poo, I wish they weren't lying; I love tomato soup (as long as it's good).

Hell, make that content: my pet peeve is folks who swear by their lovely homemade recipes for things, especially if they are esoteric or unique.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 18:02 on Feb 14, 2017

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Pet peeve: just used a bathroom at my school and now my shoes are sticky :(

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Pesticide20 posted:

Pet peeve: just used a bathroom at my school and now my shoes are sticky :(

Try not pissing on your feet next time.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I hate the type of person who always end up inviting another person into plans you've had together for a while at the last possible moment. Like every single time just you or a group of you are hanging out or going some where and this one dick is like "oh I invited (usually someone no one else knows) to come too hope that's cool". I don't care if that happens sometimes but if you're doing this every time there's a group activity that's just inconsiderate.

Even more annoying if you're all in one car and the next question is "could we pick them up on the way" and if the answer is no they get all indignant about it. It's not my job to make sure your unwanted friend can make it dude

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

MisterBibs posted:

You aren't the first to lie to me about that. I've had to choke down some seriously lovely homemade tomato soups over the years, by my hand or others who thought I was Doing It Wrong. poo poo, I wish they weren't lying; I love tomato soup (as long as it's good).

Hell, make that content: my pet peeve is folks who swear by their lovely homemade recipes for things, especially if they are esoteric or unique.

You've got to be one of the most self-defeating sad sacks on these forums

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

MisterBibs posted:

I believe you, because if somebody knows something about choking on these forums it is you.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Helios Grime posted:

I believe you, because if somebody knows something about choking on these forums it is you.

I think you have me confused with someone else. I've never choked on food. I've had food impaction (thanks to the incurable and potentially cancer-giving immune disorder I have), but I've never choked.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

poptart_fairy posted:

My brother in arms. :negative:

I was furious when I looked at the account in detail - curious how said information package was delayed until after the line had been set-up - and saw how much poo poo I'd been strung up for.

It's amazing how awful telcos and cable companies are. I was at 12 Mbps DSL with regular phone and no long distance and they were throttling me but insisted that they didn't have a policy of throttling. I explained to them that I was clearly getting throttled but they are argued that they were provisioning me correctly.

To fix it, I had to upgrade to business class with unlimited long distance at 20 Mbps. I saved $20 a month by doing that. It makes no sense why they wouldn't just take the cap off on the service that I was paying more for.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Sunswipe posted:

Try not pissing on your feet next time.

This isn't the Lifehacks thread.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

poptart_fairy posted:

I'm guessing you're with BT? I got a similar email from them after spending several fruitless weeks trying to downgrade my service to save money. I don't need super fast loving lightning broadband, you assholes put me on there without making it clear, and are now feeding me complete horse poo poo to delay a downgrade. :mad:

You got it in one. They honestly have the most appalling customer service I've had the displeasure of dealing with. They were 3 months late installing my phone line when I moved and missed 6+ go live dates and kept blaming Openreach (who conveniently wont speak directly to the public). I finally got somewhere by emailing BT/Openreach's CEO and got passed on to the exective complaints department. It still took them another 3 weeks to install my line, but I got my first year at a massively discounted rate. That doesn't stop me being furious about the current price increase though. So my pet peeve is BT.

edit: Check your PMs, I've sent you the CEO's email address.

Tea Bone has a new favorite as of 23:54 on Feb 14, 2017

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

bean_shadow posted:

I can smell him from inside the screen.

I wanna say it's a mixture of bottom shelf whiskey, armpit, a stagnant pissed in bed, and hard-boiled egg farts, right?

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
Skinny people who take their weight for granted, watching my friends eat like crap never put on weight and then complain they want to put on muscle, meanwhile I eat nowhere near as badly as them (not great or anything i'll freely admit) but I work out 5 days a week and make slow improvements. Mostly it's working hard at the gym and watching people laze around and not take it serious because they don't need to irritates me. :btroll:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

mobby_6kl posted:

People who wear flip-flops in the office and sometimes, but not always, those same people who also drag their feet across the carpets. For gently caress's sake you're in a professional if quite casual environment and in your 20s/30s, dress like an adult and put in the minimum amount of effort required to walk properly. They're not in my team so I won't make a huge drama out of it but goddamn :argh:

I think every place I've worked has had a "no open-toe shoes" policy for OH&S reasons. If your workplace has such a policy you could mention it to them in an "I'm trying to help you to not get in trouble" way.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The opposite - people who think working to lose weight is virtuous and not just doing what you gotta do.

Mostly because I work with people who talk about nothing else while eating packs of cookies and apparently taking chocolate to bed every night.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Stoatbringer posted:

This isn't the Lifehacks thread.

Throw bread tags in the toilet and aim at them when pissing. Walla! Dry feet!

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Sunswipe posted:

Throw bread tags in the toilet and aim at them when pissing. Walla! Dry feet!

The real lifehack is that you can fish them out before flushing and keep using them for other things!

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
my diet is at the core of my identity. i'm guided in my eating choices by the understanding that i have a duty of respect to all my sisters in life. not wanting to rob the bees, i only eat virgin honey that has dripped out of the hive due to gravity. mindful of the bodily autonomy of cows, i've replaced all dairy with ethically sourced coconut products. before consuming salt, i purify it with my sacred fluids. the flesh i consume is harvested from grown men and warmed to room temperature between my cataclysmic breasts before being lightly seared so as to achieve the perfect juicy medium-rare finish. i won't eat a lamb unless it died of a natural accident such as a lightning strike. i will only eat eggs that i laid myself. i am no mere vegan: the truth is far more complex and more terrible.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
consequently anyone who calls me a vegan is grist for my meaty millstones

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Mods please rename me to Cataclysmic Breasts tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
People who blast their Facebook walls about how Valentine's Day is a consumer holiday and all the sheep's are buying choclate and marked up presents. We all get it, you're super *~*~enlightened~*~*. Everyone knows all of this. I'm sure people sent flyers about it in the 80s.