Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
ha ha ha i bet you betacucks without drivers licenses have some major anxiety 'issues' don't you lmao

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

OSI bean dip posted:

I'm not in my 20s, hate the idea of driving to work, and am happy to board a train for 30 minutes each morning to go to work. You need to stop painting everyone with the same brush just to fit some feckless world view you have.

That darn feckless "grown adults with a choice will admittedly suck up transit when it is legitimately way more convenient" worldview.

You know, every time I go on a posting kick here I come away thinking a few more people are really dumb. Even the techy crowd with degrees (well, maybe not) are showing off how far the standards have dropped.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

namaste faggots posted:

ha ha ha i bet you betacucks without drivers licenses have some major anxiety 'issues' don't you lmao

but wait you told me to kill myself for driving (I did btw)

Wasting
Apr 25, 2013

The next to go

OSI bean dip posted:

There is no novelty in taking transit; it's just a loving mode that works for people who aren't looking for their own private "safe spaces".

Agreed, but at the same time vehicles are a necessity for some people, even in urban centres. Sales, transportation, and the people who operate the public transit you ride spring to mind.

Different working and living arrangements sometimes necessitate a private vehicle, preference aside.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

James Baud posted:

with degrees

You're real bad at this.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

James Baud posted:

That darn feckless "grown adults with a choice will admittedly suck up transit when it is legitimately way more convenient" worldview.

You know, every time I go on a posting kick here I come away thinking a few more people are really dumb. Even the techy crowd with degrees (well, maybe not) are showing off how far the standards have dropped.

Sorry for violating your vehicular safe space.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

James Baud posted:

Gee if only there were some way to avoid this.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

EvilJoven posted:

The only time I ever hated having to commute by public transit was when I had to transfer busses and backtrack (one of my co-ops and my first job out of college), or when my commute was just massively long (Hamilton to Toronto is just a slog on the GO) Every other time I've carefully selected where I live to make sure my commute didn't take for loving ever and it was great.

Don't pick stupid places to live.

Look at this bougie motherfucker who can afford to move.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Most people who live in cities by choice don't have the privacy-oriented, conservative bubble mindset that motivates them to have a detached house with the blinds drawn and drive in their private automobile to their job no matter the distance.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

James Baud posted:

That's funny because that's exactly how I feel every time you post.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Gee if only there were some way to avoid this.

But this way I eventually save myself the hassle of lurking too!

Anyway, UK data posted on FT Alphaville under the title "Kill the old and take their money":

I suspect Canadian data is roughly equivalent. Maybe even worse, given things I've read previously. The clawback threshold on OAS is a farce.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

James Baud posted:

when it is legitimately way more convenient

What does legitimately way more convenient mean here? What is illegitimate convenience exactly?

Also :lol: at how the goalposts have shifted from 'people will drive because they are weaklings that can't handle interactions with others outside of their tiny little social window' to 'people will obviously drive after they have a decade or so to think about things and if transit isn't actually convenient, and anyone who disagrees is either not old enough to know better (:lol: you are an old washup if you use this excuse), or is an exception to the rule - no I won't post any proof, but have some more anecdotes'

JawKnee fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Feb 14, 2017

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Wasting posted:

Agreed, but at the same time vehicles are a necessity for some people, even in urban centres. Sales, transportation, and the people who operate the public transit you ride spring to mind.

Different working and living arrangements sometimes necessitate a private vehicle, preference aside.

nobody is disagreeing with this. This all started because some people are too precious to handle public transport because of smells and noises

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

namaste faggots posted:

Whoever keeps hitting report on his posts is really the biggest loser in this thread.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

James Baud posted:

Whoever keeps hitting report on his posts is really the biggest loser in this thread.

Wait, let's check who requested the prob....oh. Oh, it's Fans. Big surprise. Who'd have thunk it.

How did they avoid getting demodded along with Alhazred and the rest of the trigger happy fucktard crew last month?

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

JawKnee posted:

What does legitimately way more convenient mean here? What is illegitimate convenience exactly?

Also :lol: at how the goalposts have shifted from 'people will drive because they are weaklings that can't handle interactions with others outside of their tiny little social window' to 'people will obviously drive after they have a decade or so to think about things and if transit isn't actually convenient, and anyone who disagrees is either not old enough to know better (:lol: you are an old washup if you use this excuse), or is an exception to the rule - no I won't post any proof, but have some more anecdotes'

Legitimately, in this case, means transit offers a significant time/stress savings, such that others' BO and zero privacy/space is an acceptable trade-off. I dunno where the "weaklings" strawman comes from, but I assume some holier than thou transit user.

With respect to aging out of transit, large transit organization executives merrily agree and you'd almost think that they might know a thing or two about it. You can google it yourself, relevant context is U-passes, as I said before.

Similarly, google up your own commuting mode share data. Stats Canada publishes it. Hint: even in places with excellent transit, the car dominates. In places with poor transit, hahaha yeah right.

(Even when I post sourced data, goons fail to read/understand it, so I gave up)

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

cool I don't work for free though, so nah

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

James Baud posted:

I like how you came into this thread, starting posting off a bunch of retarded arguments that no one agrees with, and then came to the conclusion that it must be everyone else that is stupid. Let me guess, CPC member?

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

OSI bean dip posted:

I'm not in my 20s, hate the idea of driving to work, and am happy to board a train for 30 minutes each morning to go to work. You need to stop painting everyone with the same brush just to fit some feckless world view you have.

To drive my car to work, which exceeds 15 KM (and takes 45-60 minutes), it would cost me $2,300 in insurance per year plus $300 per month for parking, and then let's say $300 in fuel ignoring all other things like maintenance, so we're talking almost $800 per month to just drive my car and park it downtown, whereas it's $120 for me to just take transit and consists of 10 minutes of walking and 30 minutes of sitting on a train. Even though I could afford to drive to work, why would I blow an extra $680 per month when it provides me with no real benefit other than the novelty of sitting in traffic because some dipshit decided that they wanted to enter the freeway early causing a collision?

There is no novelty in taking transit; it's just a loving mode that works for people who aren't looking for their own private "safe spaces".

This is the same for me except the drive and transit times are about the same. Why would I drive when I can sit on a train and read a book? I already lose a lot of time out of my day commuting so I might as well as do something useful with that time rather than sit in my car staring at the bumper in front of me.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Number19 posted:

This is the same for me except the drive and transit times are about the same. Why would I drive when I can sit on a train and read a book? I already lose a lot of time out of my day commuting so I might as well as do something useful with that time rather than sit in my car staring at the bumper in front of me.

Why not listen to terrible talk radio on CKNW about how the NDP are lunatics and get advice from Bob Rennie on real estate? That is what a vehicular safe space gives you. :smug:

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

A Typical Goon posted:

I like how you came into this thread, starting posting off a bunch of retarded arguments that no one agrees with, and then came to the conclusion that it must be everyone else that is stupid. Let me guess, CPC member?

A quick review of the thread today has revealed that with the exception of Xaranthius (heretofore lost in the flood) and most of PK loving SUBBAN's, every single discordant reply was made by someone who failed to r>c>p.

I'm not religious so a) nooo cpc and b) it's not my responsibility to bring savages into the light.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Rime posted:

Wait, let's check who requested the prob....oh. Oh, it's Fans. Big surprise. Who'd have thunk it.

How did they avoid getting demodded along with Alhazred and the rest of the trigger happy fucktard crew last month?

Make a QCS thread and complain about it there you giant baby

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

OSI bean dip posted:

Why not listen to terrible talk radio on CKNW about how the NDP are lunatics and get advice from Bob Rennie on real estate? That is what a vehicular safe space gives you. :smug:

I live far enough out that transit sucks badly enough for me to need a car, but we also only get like 4 radio stations here so I just get to listen to lovely Justin Bieber songs on top of not getting to read on the bus. :negative:

At least it's a small enough place that literally everything is less than a 10 minute drive away.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
Aux cords are like pennies cheap, HookShot. or if your car is ancient and only has a cassette player, the aux converter for those are real cheap too. There's no reason to listen to the radio in tyool 2017!

e: unless you already do this and listening to bad music gets you motivated for work or whatever I don't judge

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah I do have an aux cord I just only really like listening to my playlist when I'm working out, not driving. Driving is for the radio!

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

I like the West Coast Express. Its a proper train with tables and everything plus a great view of the water and mountains on the way in. It also goes CHOO CHOO. I actively choose it over driving to work. I only drive when I'm working overtime.

Vancouver buses vary a lot depending on which route you are on. I used to take the 14,16 and 20 a lot when I lived on commercial drive and do not miss them one loving bit. Especially the 20 which for some reason seems to end up with a 45 min gap of no buses then 5 drive past in a row drafting NFS underground style.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
They've had this thing for about 20 years now called satellite radio. It's actually really good, especially if you spend a lot of time in your car.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
Why spend $16 a month to only listen to music in the car when you can just spend $10 a month on spotify though

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

They've had this thing for about 20 years now called satellite radio. It's actually really good, especially if you spend a lot of time in your car.

Satellite radio is awful though. I re-upped my Sirius-XM subscription for a few months last year, and couldn't find a single station worth listening too. The music stations are pretty bad, the talk ones can be OK, but there's way too much filler. Meanwhile they all continuously run commercials for the radio station you're already listening to.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

heeheex2 posted:

Why spend $16 a month to only listen to music in the car when you can just spend $10 a month on spotify though

I think that Spotify is 160 kbps for normal quality audio, which means that if your commute is an hour and you've streamed your music non-stop over 3G/4G, it works out to about 70 MB of data. If you do this going to and from work every day for a month, that works out to 2.75 GB in just listening to music.

Rogers has a deal where it's $115/mo for 5 GB of data and unlimited Spotify, whereas it is $95/mo for 2 GB of data and no Spotify option. Freedom (formerly Wind) has a few plans that allow for 6 GB for $45/mo, but of course you end up with weak to zero coverage unless you're standing still in a home zone. Telus and Bell are no better either.

So in some ways, $16/mo for satellite radio isn't a waste of money if you're driving often enough. Spotify itself is free if you can tolerate ads however.

Lain Iwakura fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 14, 2017

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
You can get sirius for less than $16/month, just pay for a year at a time and threaten to leave every time you're up for renewal.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Or you listen to podcasts that are free

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
If you have satellite radio or music playlists for your car you spend too much time commuting and need to move.

Or take the train and blow an hour on f2p games or some dumb poo poo.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

OSI bean dip posted:

I think that Spotify is 160 kbps for normal quality audio, which means that if your commute is an hour and you've streamed your music non-stop over 3G/4G, it works out to about 70 MB of data. If you do this going to and from work every day for a month, that works out to 2.75 GB in just listening to music.

Dunno about Spotify but Google Music can precache stuff pretty aggressively (over wifi, say) if you ask it to, and then just play from the cache.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
You can download anything off Spotify with a subscription as far as I know and play in Spotify as long as you have a subcription

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

PittTheElder posted:

Satellite radio is awful though. I re-upped my Sirius-XM subscription for a few months last year, and couldn't find a single station worth listening too. The music stations are pretty bad, the talk ones can be OK, but there's way too much filler. Meanwhile they all continuously run commercials for the radio station you're already listening to.

Ehhh the commercials are definitely insulting on a subscription service, but Ive listened online everyday while working for years and I nebet get bored. Between the nhl talk station, the 2-3 lefty talk channels and the comedy channels I always find something.

Plus they have a trucker channel that is basically 24/7 truckers calling in from the road to shoot the poo poo. How can you not love that?

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

DariusLikewise posted:

You can download anything off Spotify with a subscription as far as I know and play in Spotify as long as you have a subcription

Yeah this is true you can download and listen offline. Annoying to do though and you need to select and download on your phone manually - downloading on your computer will just download to just your computer.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Cold on a Cob posted:

You can get sirius for less than $16/month, just pay for a year at a time and threaten to leave every time you're up for renewal.

Seriously. My grandfather threatens to quit Sirius constantly so he basically only pays whatever price he wants. They're super desperate for subscribers.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Cold on a Cob posted:

Yeah, I think I was paying <$5/month on a six month subscription, and I was tempted to see if I could get that down to <$1, but decided I valued the time I'd spent haggling with them on the phone more and just cancelled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

cowofwar posted:

If you have satellite radio or music playlists for your car you spend too much time commuting and need to move.

Or you drive for a living