Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Lyon posted:

They posted all the bottling dates that are infected.

Yeah, have not had a bad one from those dates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Valerie Plame Sandals posted:

A few more in no particular order:

HUB Survival Stout - solid, lower-ABV (5.5%) coffee stout in cans
Pfriem Belgian Stout
Pfriem Bourbon Barrel Aged Stout
Breakside Salted Caramel Stout - good dessert stout. Sweet, but not too sweet.
I've enjoyed the stouts I've had from Black Raven in Redmond, but haven't had anything from there recently.

Also, if you can find Breakside Fourth Wave, a BBA strong ale with coffee, buy the poo poo out of it. One of the best beers I have had in a long time.

Thanks, I will track those down

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
I wasn't a huge fan of the salted caramel stout but the barrel aged version was pretty decent.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Paging Mr Cowcow, what are the good breweries in Ft Collins

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Eejit posted:

Paging Mr Cowcow, what are the good breweries in Ft Collins

Oh oh I know this, Funkwerks / Odell / Snowbank / Horse & Dragon come to mind, and the first three are right near each other.

I have been in the Keys a few days and mostly touring instead of drinking. There are no lack of wonderful dive bars along Duval Street, but one does not go into them for good craft beer really. Quite glad to be back in Shiner territory however.

There's one legit craft-beer place in Key West and that's The Porch, located in the residence of the first surgeon general of Florida.

It is non-touristy, dog friendly, and quite stately. The maple bacon coffee porter from Funky Buddha was pretty nice, and right across the street is The Bull and Whistle, featuring a clothing-optional bar on the roof, so there's no lack of exciting things to see while sipping. (There is also beer from The Waterfront Brewery, which is the only brewery in the Keys that is actually good. Double IPA while watching people feed tarpon off the dock makes for a unique bar atmosphere.)

Tampa / St. Pete is my next real beer destination, coming up in a few days. Cycle is deffo on the list and it seems like anyplace going to in St Pete is all bunched up near each other, so I think I might have a busy evening.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Very delayed follow up but we got super tanked after Funkwerks (after Odell after New Belgium) and ate and got carted home so those recs wouldn't have been useful anyway haha

mrcowcow
Aug 3, 2006

Too shy to call your name, too high to to play this game.
Grimey Drawer

Eejit posted:

Very delayed follow up but we got super tanked after Funkwerks (after Odell after New Belgium) and ate and got carted home so those recs wouldn't have been useful anyway haha

I typed up a reply but I guess I never posted it... You hit 2/4 of my main recommendations anyway, and if you did the New Belgium tour that's another reccomendation (tour is awesome, tasting room sometimes has cool stuff on tap, sometimes it's just old Lips of Faith beers). Next time you're up here check out Horse and Dragon, which is right near Funkwerks, and Zwei. Zwei is kinda far away from everything else but totally worth a trip. Awesome hoppy beers and German styles.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I know lots of Phoenix questions have been asked and answered, but I have one night in the city to drink and then the next night I'll be grabbing dinner before my red eye home, any suggestions for such a limited timetable?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Going to Jamaica on Friday. Where's the best place to get a hazy NEIPA in the Montego Bay area?

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I went to the Bahamas a few years ago and the most exotic beer was Kalik. Like nine kinds of Kalik that all tasted the same. Not sure if Jamaica is going to be any different in that regard. I feel like it's not a craft beer destination. As I finished that sentence I realized you may have been joking all along and I've actually been owned here.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Lyon posted:

I know lots of Phoenix questions have been asked and answered, but I have one night in the city to drink and then the next night I'll be grabbing dinner before my red eye home, any suggestions for such a limited timetable?

Either hit Arizona Wilderness because it's really the only place whose entire lineup will be at least decent. Or go to Craft 64 in Scottsdale which has 32 drafts, all Arizona stuff, so you can at least get the standouts from most everywhere else.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Lyon posted:

sterster posted:

It kind of helps to know where you will be at but in general we have a lot of options

Arizona wilderness http://www.azwbeer.com/ You should go here. Awesome beers & really good food. I highly suggest the pb&j burger.
SanTan http://santanbrewing.com/ - Really good food, above average beers mostly
OHSO http://ohsobrewery.com/ - food pretty good, beers are average
Four Peak http://www.fourpeaks.com/ - Latest in the ABinbev buy outs. decent food average beers
Beer Research Institute http://www.thebeerresearchinstitute.com/ - 480g, Lolli, War paint and their collab mango thing are good beers I've found their food 'meh' for the prices
Papago brewing http://papagobrewing.com/ - Orange Blossom & Coconut Joe are the beers to try
SunUp http://sunup.beer/ - Never been but, Trooper IPA and White Russian Imp Stour ( seriously this poo poo is good )
8 bit Aleworks http://8-bitaleworks.com/ - Never had any of their stuff but if you're a nerd they have game themed beers like 'Rdy ply 1' 'White Mage IPA'
Huss

Id also suggest for bars/tap houses
Craft 64 http://craft64.com/ - Pizza and beer and awesome local taps
Angels Trumpet house http://angelstrumpetalehouse.com/
Ice Den ( watch people play hockey and drink beers at a bar)
The Grid http://thegridgg.wixsite.com/thegridmesa - Has an awesome game called Killer Queen with a bunch of emulators and other machines and decent tap list

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Wamsutta posted:

I went to the Bahamas a few years ago and the most exotic beer was Kalik.

Will I have to wait in line for it?

*Looks up Kalik*

I SAID HAZY NEIPA.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

danbanana posted:

at last the chairs will have umbrellas

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

funkybottoms posted:

at last the chairs will have umbrellas

:beerpal:

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...

danbanana posted:

*Looks up Kalik*

I SAID HAZY NEIPA.

Just get a Pilsner and add some flour. Close enough.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

danbanana posted:

Going to Jamaica on Friday. Where's the best place to get a hazy NEIPA in the Montego Bay area?

I know you were joking, but just drink rum the whole time. Your only options for beer on the entire island are Red Stripe or Guinness.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Makes me think of the Paragons tune "On The Beach:"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZWZNJaKw8E

In the 2nd verse, John Holt calls for "one more box of Happs," which was apparently an old brand of Jamaican beer, but nobody seems to be sure if that's what he's actually singing.

In any case, it's a great song that always makes me feel like chilling with a cold one.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

danbanana posted:

*Looks up Kalik*

I SAID HAZY NEIPA.

Shouldn't have a problem finding that dank cloudiness

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
So I had an awesome time at the strong brew beer festival which had awesome weather outside at the park. Tons of great brews etc. Now a bunch of people are all butt hurt that people were smoking cigars at the beer festival. I personally don't smoke them and for the most part don't care for the smell but they aren't terrible. People however are arguing that they should be banned because they inhibit your ability to have proper tastings of beers.

I want to say stop being a bitch. Or at the most make designated smoking areas.
Link to article about whiny people - http://draftmag.com/stop-smoking-cigars-at-beer-festivals/

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Mikey Purp posted:

I know you were joking, but just drink rum the whole time. Your only options for beer on the entire island are Red Stripe or Guinness.

Lion stout ftw actually

I'll find myself briefly in Richmond again on the 25th/26th of feb - definitely going to Ardent... will the Veil be a pain in the rear end to hang out at in the early evening on a Saturday?

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

cryme posted:

I'll find myself briefly in Richmond again on the 25th/26th of feb - definitely going to Ardent... will the Veil be a pain in the rear end to hang out at in the early evening on a Saturday?

aside from release days or special events, Veil tends to be fairly chill, so i wouldn't be too concerned unless it turns out to be another unseasonably warm day, in which case every brewery in Richmond will be packed to the gills. would be glad to grab some beers and show you around the neighborhood, and if you need any recommendations, i can help with that, too!

Juaguocio posted:

...it's a great song that always makes me feel like chilling with a cold one.

funny, because the book/movie kinda has the opposite effect on me!

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Juaguocio posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZWZNJaKw8E

In the 2nd verse, John Holt calls for "one more box of Happs," which was apparently an old brand of Jamaican beer, but nobody seems to be sure if that's what he's actually singing.

In any case, it's a great song that always makes me feel like chilling with a cold one.

gently caress yeah, Trojan Box Sets...

Also, Guinness is good for not being a hazy NEIPA.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

This is a long shot but what the hell:

Does anyone know if Duck-Rabbit Brewery's Milk Stout (or any of their other beers) is available anywhere around the San Francisco Bay Area? Draft or Bottle? I moved out here from NC a few years ago and have been feeling a bit nostalgic about it.

I vaguely remember someone from Duck-Rabbit Brewery being a poster in one of the beer threads here but that was years ago.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Oneiros posted:

Does anyone know if Duck-Rabbit Brewery's Milk Stout (or any of their other beers) is available anywhere around the San Francisco Bay Area? Draft or Bottle? I moved out here from NC a few years ago and have been feeling a bit nostalgic about it.

I vaguely remember someone from Duck-Rabbit Brewery being a poster in one of the beer threads here but that was years ago.

naw, they only distro to a few mid-Atlantic/southeast states, and i barely even see them in Richmond after all those infection problems a couple years ago. if nobody hits you up with a trade offer, i can check to see what's around and potentially mule them for you

and the guy who worked at DR was in Europe for a while before ending up at Hill Farmstead a few years back, but he almost never posts anymore.

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009

You still looking for those skillet?

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Mikey Purp posted:

I once had a Jamaican Ginseng beer that promised me "energy." It was called "STUD" and I have never seen it or heard of it again. Way nastier than the usual West Indian goat piss.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

funkybottoms posted:

aside from release days or special events, Veil tends to be fairly chill, so i wouldn't be too concerned unless it turns out to be another unseasonably warm day, in which case every brewery in Richmond will be packed to the gills. would be glad to grab some beers and show you around the neighborhood, and if you need any recommendations, i can help with that, too!

I'll be getting in around like 4PM on Saturday, we won't have a ton of time, so I'm just looking to check out the few places that have opened since we were last down there (Ardent, Veil, The Answer, maaaybe Triple Crossing). All depends on timing, we'll probably check out a few on Sat evening and one or two on Sunday before we drive back home. Definitely down to grab a couple again!

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Captain Duvel posted:

You still looking for those skillet?

Ugh... Yes and no. I'm sorry about 'leading you on' when we first spoke. I really just don't want to loving trade now. After my hospital visit and poo poo I've cut back on my drinking and have just been sticking with the local brews to keep me happy. So if you specifically picked that stuff up for me I'd feel bad for saying no I don't want them.

Dbeatles34
Jan 7, 2004
Dr. Sammy G
If anyone wants to set up an in-person trade, I'm going to be in Denver March 3-7. I'll be visiting a bunch of Florida breweries before then, including funky Buddha, cigar city, cycle and angry chair and will be picking up some rarities and crowlers. I'm looking for fresh Pliny/Blind Pig, or any other non-shelf beers outta my disto. Hit me up if you're interested.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

In case there happens to be rando Austin people here who I'm not aware of, or if you're also passing through: I'll be hosting a bottle share on March 3.

PM me for deets.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Anyone going to Cincy Beer fest this weekend?

Can anyone tell me what beers I have to try while I'm there: http://www.cincybeerfest.com/beer-list/

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

fyallm posted:

Anyone going to Cincy Beer fest this weekend?

Can anyone tell me what beers I have to try while I'm there: http://www.cincybeerfest.com/beer-list/

i would be all over this:

Bells Bourbon Brl 30th Anniv Imp. Stout

...but i bet a lot of other people will be, too. tons of stuff on that list, though, so it might be helpful if you tell us what styles you prefer.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

funkybottoms posted:

...but i bet a lot of other people will be, too. tons of stuff on that list, though, so it might be helpful if you tell us what styles you prefer.

Yeah, was just going to post that I would do really awful things to be able to get that but, y'know, OG.

My strategy for fests like this is to get something from a brewery I haven't heard of and if it is terrible, I will never get anything from said brewery again AND will spread hateful rumors about them.

Jamaica report: Red Stripe is what-the-gently caress-ever.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

danbanana posted:

Jamaica report: Red Stripe is what-the-gently caress-ever.

Red Stripe is pretty good if you're really high.

just sayin...

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Can I get some recommendations for really good German beer that would be available in the US? Southern Indiana if it matters.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Can I get some recommendations for really good German beer that would be available in the US? Southern Indiana if it matters.

again, kinda depends on what you like, but you can't really go wrong with anything from Weihenstephan, Ayinger, Schneider, or Paulaner, which are all well-regarded and widely distributed. if you like smoke, check out Schlenkerla, and if you like tart/weird, Bayerischer Bahnhof or Prof Fritz Briem.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

funkybottoms posted:

So I had that and it was really really good.. Also had the founders limited tap release of lizard of koz I think and man that was gross af....

But I tried so many new breweries it was awesome. I pissed off my wife though because I made it a point to put in everything in untapped so I would remember it

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

fyallm posted:

So I had that and it was really really good.. Also had the founders limited tap release of lizard of koz I think and man that was gross af....

But I tried so many new breweries it was awesome. I pissed off my wife though because I made it a point to put in everything in untapped so I would remember it

Protip: just take pictures and untappd poo poo another day.

Classic newb mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Klaus Kinski posted:

Protip: just take pictures and untappd poo poo another day.

Classic newb mistake.

I guess, another guy with me was doing that but couldn't remember if he liked or hated the 12th picture he took a picture of.

But my 12th had a rating and reason with it.