Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

s.i.r.e. posted:

You think that's bad, I couldn't even try and get the day off because my Switches are being delivered to work! So I have to wait all day for the mail, get it, and then just have it stare at me in the face until I get off work. :suicide:

I'm picking it up from the store during my lunch break, and probably consoling myself with an enormous burrito before I go back to the office for another 4 hours + commute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Pureauthor posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGR5fTO2oio

Listen to this and tell me this is not the hypest poo poo.

... Actually, while we're on the subject, how come Sonic games keep getting better music than Mario games (with the standout exceptions of the Galaxy games)?

Sonic games almost always have great music, even if the games themselves are bad more often than not

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Hace posted:

Dual screen is great for mobile since both screen are always in view and there's limited space to convey information

Bad for home console tho
It's awesome for Nintendoland and Pac Man Vs.

Basically multiplayer stuff that doesn't involve view switching for the player(s)...course I'd say there's exceptions for wacky uses like Affordable Space Adventures.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I'm gonna buy the Zelda DLC and enjoy revisiting Hyrule this Holiday season.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Dr Cheeto posted:

It's easier to move puzzle items back and forth between inventory slots with a touchscreen.

It is, sorry I meant to say second screen. Touch screens are fine, but second screens are a chore. The only time a second screen could hypothetically be better in Zelda than one is if you're automatically moving. Than, managing your items live is actually doing something.***

So on horseback, or in the hangtime you have floating up and down in the water, you could swap items. But it's rare that you're even going to have to do that, you're mostly only ever going to stop and stand still to arrange inventory, which is the exact same as pausing, except enemies can strike you, and you have to take your eyes off the action

***Though even then, a live action inventory screen could be pulled up on the main screen, and you'd still be able to see some of the action without looking away, so the second screen is inferior again

Spellman fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Feb 14, 2017

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I had no issues moving the stick around with my left hand and doing a quick inventory swap with my right in any of the 3DS or Wii U Zeldas, it's really not as difficult as you make it out to be.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I would love a phone/tablet app that would let me see the map or access inventory in games. Something not required but adds to the experience but doesn't increase the cost of the system.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Or you could just push a button to bring it up on screen which is twelve hundred times better

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Doing it real time is fun too.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Cojawfee posted:

I would love a phone/tablet app that would let me see the map or access inventory in games. Something not required but adds to the experience but doesn't increase the cost of the system.

I could see Nintendo doing this for certain games since they're already got their chat system like this.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
The games chat thread acted outrage over the zelda dlc, i feel they didn't know nintendo have been doing DLC for years.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Cojawfee posted:

didn't sony and microsoft try to do that years ago and it bombed?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Cyron posted:

The games chat thread acted outrage over the zelda dlc, i feel they didn't know nintendo have been doing DLC for years.

Like, MK8's DLC was both cheap and substantial, and I imagine that BotW's DLC will be the same.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Cyron posted:

didn't sony and microsoft try to do that years ago and it bombed?

They did it with Fallout 4 and it wasn't worth it beyond the novelty

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Cyron posted:

The dozen or so people that actually bought a Wii U are the only ones that would know.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Remember that DLC usually means "that lovely thing AAA producers do to charge you twice the cost of a game over time." If Nintendo says they're doing DLC, most people are going to read that as "Nintendo is now going to engage in squeezing you for as much cash as you're worth, with little in exchange", not "Nintendo is going to produce additional game-worthy content."

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
My only issue with the announced Zelda DLC is that it sounds incredibly dumb & boring? 3 new chests someplace and also a dungeon.

I'm only vaguely considering caring if it turns out that "hard mode" is actually Master Quest, with all the content remixed into a weird-rear end Kaizo Zelda like in Ocarina.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
The chests are just bonus content for ordering the season pass of the DLC...

Nintendo DLC is good.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
The DLC for Hyrule Warriors was insane. I'm already paying $430 dollars to play a new Zelda, an extra $20 isn't going to kill me.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Thom P. Tiers posted:

The chests are just bonus content for ordering the season pass of the DLC...

Nintendo DLC is good.

Like, I understand that Nintendo DLC is good. Hyrule Warriors and Mario Kart 8 were both handled fantastically. But like, imagine if a new Forza was coming out in 2 weeks, and Microsoft was like,
"You better believe the season pass includes at least one car! Your DRIVATARtm will also be able to wear an exclusive Windows Logo t-shirt."

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

MGSV also had a phone companion and it was pretty much just simpler to open up the map in-game

Spellman
May 31, 2011

lmfao if your drivatar doesn't have a windows 10 logo

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

deadly_pudding posted:

Like, I understand that Nintendo DLC is good. Hyrule Warriors and Mario Kart 8 were both handled fantastically. But like, imagine if a new Forza was coming out in 2 weeks, and Microsoft was like,
"You better believe the season pass includes at least one car! Your DRIVATARtm will also be able to wear an exclusive Windows Logo t-shirt."

Imagine if a theoretical game has 100 levels and the DLC is 33 new levels.

It's kinda like that considering they are adding a 4th dungeon.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I guess I'm mostly just annoyed with what seems like a vaguepost from Nintendo like 2 weeks away from launch. I'll reserve the final value judgement when I figure out how much I still care about BotW in November or whatever.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

:lol: Microsoft or another publisher tells people what's in a season pass. Typically it's just a nebulous thing where you get DLC for a set time frame and all it ends up being is all ugly cosmetic poo poo and by the time an actual worthwhile DLC comes out the season pass is over. The fact Nintendo is telling you up front what you'll actually be getting instead of "Stuff we might or might not make! Who knows!" puts it ahead of typical season passes

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I hope the useful items in those chests are a big 'ol fat rupee worth 10,000 rupees.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I hope the useful items in those chests are a big 'ol fat rupee worth 10,000 rupees.

That would be just great

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Thom P. Tiers posted:

But your wallet only fits 99 and its already full.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

deadly_pudding posted:

I guess I'm mostly just annoyed with what seems like a vaguepost from Nintendo like 2 weeks away from launch. I'll reserve the final value judgement when I figure out how much I still care about BotW in November or whatever.

It's not "from Nintendo" it's a video of Aonuma saying "hey guys, My team and I are going to do this over the course of this year" and Nintendo is showing you the video. Breath of the Wild is done, it went gold. Aside from any patches they might need to do, Aonuma and the creative part of the Zelda studio probably have nothing else to do so they decided to announce the new content they will be working on this year.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

MH4U and MHGen were much better games than MH3U, but my favorite Monster Hunter experiences were 3 people on their 3DSes playing with a fourth friend on his Wii U. The fact that Switch will let us do that by default with its eventual Monster Hunters is going to rule hard.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I hope the hard mode for BOTW is more than just enemies do more damage and a flipped world. A survival mode and remixed enemy positions could be pretty cool though.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

SeANMcBAY posted:

I hope the hard mode for BOTW is more than just enemies do more damage and a flipped world. A survival mode and remixed enemy positions could be pretty cool though.

It will essentially be Skyrim crossed with Dark Souls.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Hard mode for BoTW will literally just be Link stuck with 1 arm tied behind his back for the entire game.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Jimmy Hats posted:

Hard mode for BoTW will literally just be Link stuck with 1 arm tied behind his back for the entire game.

The screen will also be completely black and you have to switch to a flashlight to see but can't have it out while you have another item out.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I have surgery and a day-long hospital stay on March 31. Do I have much, if any, real hope of getting one of these between release and then? I've only just learned that it's a portable system, that's how far behind the times I am.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Ciaphas posted:

I have surgery and a day-long hospital stay on March 31. Do I have much, if any, real hope of getting one of these between release and then? I've only just learned that it's a portable system, that's how far behind the times I am.

If the surgery is in American you should probably save your money

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Ciaphas posted:

It is a total mystery. Preorders are sold out, but who knows how much of that was just scalpers or people who will cancel at the last minute. There's also no way to know what the supply is like beyond preorders until like a week beforehand if retail employees start to leak shipment details.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

s.i.r.e. posted:

You think that's bad, I couldn't even try and get the day off because my Switches are being delivered to work! So I have to wait all day for the mail, get it, and then just have it stare at me in the face until I get off work. :suicide:

Mine's getting delivered to work too. Hopefully early so I can set it up and download Zelda using our fat pipe. :fap:

Hoping to convince a couple guys on the fence to get one, getting in some early morning Mario Kart would be great for team building.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

deadly_pudding posted:

It is a total mystery. Preorders are sold out, but who knows how much of that was just scalpers or people who will cancel at the last minute. There's also no way to know what the supply is like beyond preorders until like a week beforehand if retail employees start to leak shipment details.

Fair enough, guess I just gotta cross my fingers :pray:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

katkillad2 posted:

The DLC for Hyrule Warriors was insane. I'm already paying $430 dollars to play a new Zelda, an extra $20 isn't going to kill me.

Yeah the Hyrule Warrior DLC was potentially 100 hours of game every update. Nintendo DLC is awesome and good. Until they break bad, I get excited when I hear there is DLC rather then other systems where I feel like its really a $80-90 game in disguise.

• Locked thread