Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Shaggar posted:

Natural joins involve the server deciding which keys to join on which can change without you being aware of it. if someone adds a column with a name that matches a column in another table and the server decides to join on it now you've got different behavior without warning. natural joins are a really bad idea and they only exist to maybe save you a little typing.

ah. i want natural joins that use fks not something fragile like a column name, but the standard and implementations out there are as you describe so i'll concede on that one

i still want materialized views in addition to indexed views though :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moreleth
Jun 11, 2001

lego my eggo

DaTroof posted:

just pick one with a coin flip and six months later report back with anecdotes about why you made the wrong choice

it doesn't matter!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Cold on a Cob posted:

ah. i want natural joins that use fks not something fragile like a column name, but the standard and implementations out there are as you describe so i'll concede on that one

i still want materialized views in addition to indexed views though :colbert:

idk what the benefit of a materialized view is over an indexed view

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
lol, our company just phased out remote work for all employees and a lady who worked here for 20 years quit as a result and they made her reimburse them for her sabbatical. such heinous bullshit.

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

luigi write the lisp

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Shaggar posted:

idk what the benefit of a materialized view is over an indexed view

indexed views to have ridiculously restrictive prerequisites, like no outer joins allowed and no referencing other views. this is why i've never been able to use them effectively.

so presenting a choice between them is dumb on my part, i should have just wrote 'i want indexed views that work like materialized views ie. less restrictive requirements'

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Shaggar posted:

you can also run it self hosted if you don't want iis.

Oh yeah I forgot about that! I was messing around with .NET core stuff just this last weekend, too. I didn't realize that was a "production" thing, just figured it was a toy option, but welp I just found a WCF web service hosted out of a windows service in the very platform I now support for my jerb. Maybe I can replace all these lovely windows services with kestrel-based microservices.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Finster Dexter posted:

lovely windows services

but you repeat yourself

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

lol, our company just phased out remote work for all employees and a lady who worked here for 20 years quit as a result and they made her reimburse them for her sabbatical. such heinous bullshit.

pretty sure that's a labor law violation

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

eschaton posted:

pretty sure that's a labor law violation

probably, especially given they emphasize that the sabbatical reimbursement is taxed income. i had to do some wizardry to make sure my paycheck after won't be lower when i get back from mine.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

dig deep to find the iota of dignity and self-respect you need to quit, ffs

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

UGH a goddamn enterprise java dev got ahold of my immaculate code and RUINED IT

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

c tp s
I just deleted more than 1000 lines from a 1500 line file.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

AggressivelyStupid posted:

c tp s

why'd you stop there?

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

c tp s

thats one cathartic diff

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

the C macro system is incredibly garbage

I'm just trying to reduce the amount of boilerplate crap and curly braces I need to type to define world objects in my Saturn game and it's such poop

if only there were a language that had some sort of facility for processing lists

and a comprehensive macro definition system

and that I could compile for sh2

luigi write the sh2 LLVM backend

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

GameCube posted:

turn your monitor on! lmao!

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

c tp s

:hellyeah:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

c tp s: someone's migration broke because they have windows set to old people mode and somehow missed a scrollbar in my ui so now i'm gonna rearrange the ui

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

GameCube posted:

that was me

dependency injection owns, dwi

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

dig deep to find the iota of dignity and self-respect you need to quit, ffs

dude, ive been job hunting. i dont have the luxury of just quitting and magically subsisting on no money.

a witch
Jan 12, 2017

is there a company that does managed Postgres as well as Heroku? I spend a lot of money on Heroku and the DB is the main reason I haven't moved off it yet.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

a witch posted:

is there a company that does managed Postgres as well as Heroku? I spend a lot of money on Heroku and the DB is the main reason I haven't moved off it yet.

what's wrong with aws rds or DIY? it's either not that hard to run a DB, or it is, and you should hire a DB person

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

dude, ive been job hunting. i dont have the luxury of just quitting and magically subsisting on no money.

its almost never worth quitting before you have a new job even if you have the funds to do it.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

jony neuemonic posted:

why'd you stop there?

I'm not done. I'm going to make this poo poo readable if it kills me.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

VikingofRock posted:

luigi write the sh2 LLVM backend

there's one for the J2 (open sores sh2 clone)

i tried linking guile with my application but it didn't work due to A) name collisions between scheme procedures and SGL functions and B) sys/select.h not being available on windows

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
ctps: spent hours reviewing my source only to find the error was in a bad configuration and the api exception it threw literally lied to me about what the problem was

back to putting off getting this rest reporting tool created

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

a witch posted:

haven't tried it and cannot recommend it or not, but https://www.citusdata.com/ has a bunch of ex-heroku people working there

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Sapozhnik posted:

that was me

dependency injection owns, dwi

i'm fine with dependency injection, it's the fuckin long-rear end names for everything
just because i've got two widescreen monitors doesn't mean i want one line of code to span them both

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Cocoa Crispies posted:

write your own preprocessor, every C project I've done in the last four years has included one

this is probably the best option really

though I did figure out that the Saturn library compiles fine with -std=gnu99

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
c tp s: assigned to fix a super-downstream edge case bug in a really convoluted workflow so i am mostly reading the forums while waiting for the only person who knows anything about it to respond to emails every 20 minutes.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

MononcQc posted:

haven't tried it and cannot recommend it or not, but https://www.citusdata.com/ has a bunch of ex-heroku people working there

I really like their blog posts, I learned a lot about postgres lately reading it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

GameCube posted:

i'm fine with dependency injection, it's the fuckin long-rear end names for everything
just because i've got two widescreen monitors doesn't mean i want one line of code to span them both

descriptive names are good. theres no reason to be using acronyms or abbreviations.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
idk how it compares to heroku, but platform.sh has postgres too

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

a witch posted:

aws rds postgres is really good. use that

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

yeah we have something to shoot now

code:
	OBJ_BEGIN
	OBJ_CREATE
	OBJ_NAME("TUR_BASE")
	OBJ_ANGLE(DEGtoANG(0.0), DEGtoANG(180.0), DEGtoANG(0.0))
	OBJ_POSITION(toFIXED(0.0), toFIXED(25.0), toFIXED(200.0))
	OBJ_SCALE(toFIXED(1.0), toFIXED(1.0), toFIXED(1.0))
	OBJ_PDATA(&xpdata_BIG_TURRET_BASE)
	OBJ_ADDTOLIST(&g_OBJLIST_WORLDOBJECTS)
	OBJ_END
oh boy

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i am trying so hard to understand the horny and i'm just not getting it

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

shoot the TURD_BASE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU