Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Wiz posted:

Yes.

Details to come.

I've always wanted to start the game with an actual species based caste system. Specially if they're all bugs. Like these are my dumb short lived obedient worker bugs, these are my warrior bugs, these are my long lived slow breeding smart royal bugs and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Wiz posted:

Yes.

Details to come.

Multiple starting empires on one planet is gloriously Aurora. Hoping for a scenario in which you can play as the United States of Russia, the EU or China.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Not multiple empires, multiple races in a starting empire. Don't think the game has any way to handle half or joint ownership of a single planet.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Baronjutter posted:

I've always wanted to start the game with an actual species based caste system. Specially if they're all bugs. Like these are my dumb short lived obedient worker bugs, these are my warrior bugs, these are my long lived slow breeding smart royal bugs and so on.

But... those would all be the same species...

I really want some colony/swarm portraits now. Where the portrait is like a little brain bug held aloft by a mountain of drones and surrounded by a swarm of fliers that "vibrate" when he talks since that is how the bugs make sound.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
I'd imagine for an Empire with multiple species at start, there would be some sort of tradeoff. Maybe less trait points to pick from?

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Baronjutter posted:

Not multiple empires, multiple races in a starting empire. Don't think the game has any way to handle half or joint ownership of a single planet.

The quote Wiz responded to included 'two empires with the same homeworld'.

Which could mean a campaign in which you're fighting to regain your original home world, I suppose. But Two Empires One Planet would be cool and could make ground combat more interesting, if it was fought on the pop screen and involved adjacency bonuses to represent flanking or similar.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Honestly, the lack of story in the game kinda makes me sad. I was hoping for like, custom scenarios and poo poo.

Like, you'd pick your species and start playing, there's aliens and whatnot but suddenly you find your species, in a completely different sector, just with different ethos. Then you do it again, in a line from you to the other one, until you reach one end of the line and find that there's a fallen Empire of your species, either the Xenophobes that then decide that you need to be put under the heel or the Xenophiles which were formed by those fleeing the old empire and seeded a buncha planets with your species on the way.

Darth Windu posted:

Space olympics would own.
Really, some systems that interact with the map but aren't just spaceships shooting lasers would be excellent. Conflict doesn't solely have to be through force of arms, it can be through trade, politics or espionage; the problem is to make the systems reactive and not making the player feel powerless and irritated about them.

edit: the Horizon Signal is like, extremely my poo poo though I've only read about it and not had it happen. More like that would be rad

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Feb 14, 2017

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Psycho Landlord posted:

I post in here pretty often, is it okay for me to post something like that? Because holy poo poo is he right.

A regular feature of Something Awful for 10+ years running is that every time there's a thread with some detailed discussion (mod stuff, a game that draws grogs, etc) the yospos / ycs superstars come in saying how spergy everyone is.

It's not new and if you want to get your posting cred with that nugget, go for it. But uh, as an idea to express? It's dumb as poo poo. I get it, anyone putting thought or effort into stuff is a sperg. Hurrrrrrr. Every thread is improved when the discussion hits this point, the posters judging the other posters and their relative care levels.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

GlyphGryph posted:

That fungal infected mammal is from Creatures from the Void dlc pack which is, yeah, the preorder one i think.

There is at least one similar one in the core species list too though, and what i think is a fungal lizard type.

There definitely needs to be more fungal portraits about infected things though, maybe a couple insect and plant parasites too
I really wish that there were a way to buy that DLC now - those portraits are pretty awesome.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
Not really sure how you can have a space Olympics without some races being always likely to lose or win certain events. Like a Blorg will never beat a human at the 100m sprint.

On top of that the theory goes that sport is just a distillation of war, so while human sports are running fast and throwing spears, alien sports may be "100m osmosis" or "Long distance needle shooting" or "synchronised stench gland evacuation".

Imagine participating in what you thought was a race only to be disqualified for not having an appendage you've never heard of

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Kitchner posted:

Not really sure how you can have a space Olympics without some races being always likely to lose or win certain events. Like a Blorg will never beat a human at the 100m sprint.

On top of that the theory goes that sport is just a distillation of war, so while human sports are running fast and throwing spears, alien sports may be "100m osmosis" or "Long distance needle shooting" or "synchronised stench gland evacuation".

Imagine participating in what you thought was a race only to be disqualified for not having an appendage you've never heard of

Or some rolling blob getting disqualified for blasting a competitor's face with a toxic fart from some unholy xenos stink-gland in the middle of the race.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Honky Dong Country posted:

Or some rolling blob getting disqualified for blasting a competitor's face with a toxic fart from some unholy xenos stink-gland in the middle of the race.

Yeah but not every alien species is going to get what an American is, so they won't have their own.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Kitchner posted:

Yeah but not every alien species is going to get what an American is, so they won't have their own.

lol

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Kitchner posted:

Yeah, the blorg may luse the 100M sprint, but the human loses at Ribbon Undulating and Tentacle Wrestling

the idea that its a distillation of war rather than an alternative is honestly something I don't agree with

for a different option, you could have Galactic-vision, where you'd have songs or undulations or whatever. Surely, even a blob of slime can understand music and if it can't, well, neither can man (insert vaporwave album here)

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Yeah, the blorg may luse the 100M sprint, but the human loses at Ribbon Undulating and Tentacle Wrestling

the idea that its a distillation of war rather than an alternative is honestly something I don't agree with

for a different option, you could have Galactic-vision, where you'd have songs or undulations or whatever. Surely, even a blob of slime can understand music and if it can't, well, neither can man (insert vaporwave album here)

Show me what you got.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Baronjutter posted:

Show me what you got.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Have the "olympics" be something you can contribute three Corvettes and an Admiral too, and he represents you at the "Space Olympics" mock war event, which is like spaceship paintball.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Its widely agreed the origin of the Olympics is in skills you would use at war: running fast, running far (marathon of course carried news of a battle for miles twice in a day), throwing poo poo as far as you can (spears, heavy balls, hammers), archery, unarmed combat (wrestling).

In all of these events people at the Olympics compete against other people based on the flag pinned to their chest.

The winners get glory and the losers don't.

Basically just war in a nutshell

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Unless of course you're going to make the classic Zaltzman Sr. Argument which is "Ah, but what if war is just a distillation of sport?"

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Rakthar posted:

A regular feature of Something Awful for 10+ years running is that every time there's a thread with some detailed discussion (mod stuff, a game that draws grogs, etc) the yospos / ycs superstars come in saying how spergy everyone is.

It's not new and if you want to get your posting cred with that nugget, go for it. But uh, as an idea to express? It's dumb as poo poo. I get it, anyone putting thought or effort into stuff is a sperg. Hurrrrrrr. Every thread is improved when the discussion hits this point, the posters judging the other posters and their relative care levels.

No the point is YOU are insufferable.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Amazingly enough, I just had my first successful titanic life event chain. Been playing this game awhile now and have never had godzillas running around. Man I love these things.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Kitchner posted:

Its widely agreed the origin of the Olympics is in skills you would use at war: running fast, running far (marathon of course carried news of a battle for miles twice in a day), throwing poo poo as far as you can (spears, heavy balls, hammers), archery, unarmed combat (wrestling).

In all of these events people at the Olympics compete against other people based on the flag pinned to their chest.

The winners get glory and the losers don't.

Basically just war in a nutshell

Several of the original running events even had the competitors run while clad in full hoplite armor and carrying a longspear (which is something the Olympics needs to bring back, incidentally)

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
The two races from the same homeworld feature makes a lot of sense given the current campaign being played on Extraterrestrial Thursdays.

I wonder how he'll handle the rest of the Messenger segment of the Horizon Signal event. It could give him a way out of being boxed in so much...

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Honky Dong Country posted:

Amazingly enough, I just had my first successful titanic life event chain. Been playing this game awhile now and have never had godzillas running around. Man I love these things.

What can you do with em

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Rakthar posted:

I get it, anyone putting thought or effort into stuff is a sperg. Hurrrrrrr.
lol

Rumda posted:

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Darth Windu posted:

What can you do with em

Wreck faces. The ground units are I believe superior to even space marines although limited in number.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

ulmont posted:

Wreck faces. The ground units are I believe superior to even space marines although limited in number.

Whoa!! I feel like I haven't seen half the stuff in this game and I've played like three or four campaigns almost to completion.

Warp is deffo my favorite ftl, I thought it was hyperlanes but warp is so much less trouble. Wormholes are way too effort

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Rumda posted:

Well ok, I enjoy posting stuff about Stellaris the videogame and my thoughts on the gameplay. If you don't enjoy reading my posts, I think there's a fairly straightforward solution there.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Rakthar posted:

Well ok, I enjoy posting stuff about Stellaris the videogame and my thoughts on the gameplay. If you don't enjoy reading my posts, I think there's a fairly straightforward solution there.

yeah you can learn from your mistakes

and/or i can keep posting about nutsacks whenever you are being insufferable

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Rakthar posted:

No, it's sperg when all of your ideas and criticisms are universally terrible and your head is too far up your own rear end to understand that or pay attention when multiple people explain to you why this is the case. Talking about cool space poo poo in a cool space game is just being nerdy. Being completely unable to grasp that the game you are discussing is not EU4 while speaking to said game's lead developer on multiple, frequent occasions is sperg. You are sperging. Stop sperging.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Darth Windu posted:

Whoa!! I feel like I haven't seen half the stuff in this game and I've played like three or four campaigns almost to completion.

Warp is deffo my favorite ftl, I thought it was hyperlanes but warp is so much less trouble. Wormholes are way too effort

I just started a game with wormholes, I think they're the most interesting of the three so far because of the range restrictions. Apparently they get more annoying when your fleets get real big though?

Coolguye posted:

yeah you can learn from your mistakes

and/or i can keep posting about nutsacks whenever you are being insufferable

your incessant whining about people talking about stuff you don't want to talk about is pretty insufferable imo

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Psycho Landlord posted:

No, it's sperg when all of your ideas and criticisms are universally terrible and your head is too far up your own rear end to understand that or pay attention when multiple people explain to you why this is the case. Talking about cool space poo poo in a cool space game is just being nerdy. Being completely unable to grasp that the game you are discussing is not EU4 while speaking to said game's lead developer on multiple, frequent occasions is sperg. You are sperging. Stop sperging.

Yeah dude you're making poo poo up. I made the comparison when talking about diplomacy costs. The reason I compared Stellaris mechanics to EU4 mechanics because that's an existing game that people have played, and has a fleshed out diplomacy system. In no way or shape did I ask that it work like EU4, I simply wanted to mention that I was able to interact with my neighbors far more and that I enjoyed the mechanics. The post Baronjutter made afterwards was more or less what I thinking of gameplay wise.

So yeah, since this apparently requires a full formal apology:
Wiz, I'm sorry that I compared Stellaris to EU4 and tried to examine the way the alliance mechanics are implemented. Rest assured, dear readers, that game will no longer be used as a comparison point.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I like stellaris and this thread and wiz, everything is nice and good.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

I like stellaris and this thread and wiz, everything is nice and good.

The thread teeters drunkenly between bad and good but it does generally contain updates and cool poo poo along with posts from wiz and his crew so I think it's probably good on the balance.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

I just started a game with wormholes, I think they're the most interesting of the three so far because of the range restrictions. Apparently they get more annoying when your fleets get real big though?

Not really. There's mid-tier techs that increase range and cut jump time (like the other FTL methods), and you can always just split your fleet in two and move it through separate wormhole stations if you need the speed for some reason. By the time it would become actually problematic you get Jump Drives (Psi Jump Drives if you chose your ethos correctly).

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Aren't jump drives dangerous tho

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Or if you salvage from the right fallen empire! :eng101:

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

PittTheElder posted:

Not really. There's mid-tier techs that increase range and cut jump time (like the other FTL methods), and you can always just split your fleet in two and move it through separate wormhole stations if you need the speed for some reason. By the time it would become actually problematic you get Jump Drives (Psi Jump Drives if you chose your ethos correctly).

Well the ability to split your fleet up for faster movement is the bit that sounds annoying

Darth Windu posted:

Aren't the unbidden supposed to be the least dangerous endgame crisis right now? I mean it's not like I'm about to *not* build synths so some kind of crisis is happening regardless

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Darth Windu posted:

Not by nearly enough.

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

Well the ability to split your fleet up for faster movement is the bit that sounds annoying

It isn't, you just press the 'split in half' button. It's also not a thing I ever really bother to do because it isn't necessary, but just saying that it's an option if you really need it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
I feel like I should say this since I was the one who started this mess. My original comment was more in praise of Wiz than it was a criticism of any of the posters in this thread. I, too, sperg out on my favorite games. There's nothing wrong with that. But I've never seen a representative of a game company roll with the punches as well as Wiz. That is all.

• Locked thread