Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

El Roncho posted:

Gabi Garcia is more likely but it's no guarantee she'd win.

Also competent reffing about the hair pulls. That kickbox lady was lighting Yoshiko up until she kept snagging her hair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Captain Log posted:

Eh, I get what you're saying but I don't agree. Especially Anderson, he is so technical half his fights look like movies.

i agree with him, technical skill and creativity is actually only a part of being good at sports. learning how to train and recover effectively, learning how to use your attributes whatever they are, having the discipline to stick to a diet, make weight, having the sense to train in such a way that you dont get injured or at least separate the advice of people who can instill that kind of sense in you from those that cant, having or at least developing the type of spiritual strength you need to succeed under all of this pressure and impress your will not only on your opponents but the dozens of people involved in running the circus you work for, and the strength to overcome any setbacks to your career .. thats what talent is. dont think for a second u can just be genetically gifted and be a world champion at something, if youre not the best in the world youll trip over something before you even get close

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

I.N.R.I posted:

i agree with him, technical skill and creativity is actually only a part of being good at sports. learning how to train and recover effectively, learning how to use your attributes whatever they are, having the discipline to stick to a diet, make weight, having the sense to train in such a way that you dont get injured or at least separate the advice of people who can instill that kind of sense in you from those that cant, having or at least developing the type of spiritual strength you need to succeed under all of this pressure and impress your will not only on your opponents but the dozens of people involved in running the circus you work for, and the strength to overcome any setbacks to your career .. thats what talent is. dont think for a second u can just be genetically gifted and be a world champion at something, if youre not the best in the world youll trip over something before you even get close

I respect that, especially coming from the one known forums pro athlete. I just think Brock and Gabi wouldn't be where they are without the gift of being huge. I guess in my "hierarchy of value" genetic luck is pretty low.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

El Roncho posted:

Gabi Garcia is more likely but it's no guarantee she'd win.

Apparently this Yoshiko is a bad person but not enough that I'd want to see Gabi Garcia fight more people that are a foot shorter and 100 lbs lighter than her

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Log posted:

Eh, I get what you're saying but I don't agree. Especially Anderson, he is so technical half his fights look like movies.

all those movies with really technical fights, like rocky and play it to the bone and poo poo

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Skip My Posts posted:

all those movies with really technical fights, like rocky and play it to the bone and poo poo

You're a fun person, aren't you?

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
i just think technical is the opposite of what fights are like in movies

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

I.N.R.I posted:

its a hostile environment for sure, moreso than in other sports because the way it is is that theres no clear progression to the top and not every fight can be judged conclusively but its BS all the fighters are dealing with, some better than others. unless theres something truly underhanded going on like match fixing or company sponsored ped use i personally think using a bit of social engineering or riding on your established accomplishments to get a leg up is fair game and just another way for a fighter to shine. of course it dilutes the concept of who is actually the better fighter but generally the cream rises to the top and then sooner or later loses to a better style of cream in a cage fight

Even in MMA the phenomenon of having all the best guys in one promotion is relatively recent. It wasn't that long ago that Yoel, Rockhold, and Jacare were all in Strikeforce for example. The cream does generally rise to the top but for most of MMA history there was uh, two separate milk bottles, and occasionally um, a retarded magpie would come and steal the lid from one and take it to its nest where it would lose to anonymous guys from Russia in front of 2000 people in Japan.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Apparently this Yoshiko is a bad person but not enough that I'd want to see Gabi Garcia fight more people that are a foot shorter and 100 lbs lighter than her

Idk she permanently blinded her pro wrestling opponent in one eye so I think it's a wash in this case

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Captain Log posted:

I respect that, especially coming from the one known forums pro athlete. I just think Brock and Gabi wouldn't be where they are without the gift of being huge. I guess in my "hierarchy of value" genetic luck is pretty low.

Brock got to the top by combining being huge and fast with pro wrestling charisma and actual wrestling ability.

Gabi got to the top by combining being huge with weird Japanese sexual reasons.

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.
Kung fu movies don't exist all the sudden?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

El Roncho posted:

Kung fu movies don't exist all the sudden?

I will fight anyone who doesn't think Legend of Drunken Master and 36 Chambers of Shaolin are accurate tutorials in the deadly art of gung fu.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Captain Log posted:

Sorry to start the derail. I think we are all in the same place with different opinions. I personally differentiate being gifted with being skilled. Brock Lesnar is a UFC caliber great fighter but there is nothing technical about him. Plop him in a smaller body and he'd be Wild Bill's fight champ and that's about it.

Brock's top game was pretty good, he was really nasty with his half guard control and GNP. I think you're really underestimating how effectively he fought there; similar-sized guys like Bigfoot (well, not similar in body composition but he was a big dude nonetheless) didn't exhibit the same kind of consistent top position dominance and damage dealing abilities Brock had. Dude had a college record of 106-5 wrestling at a D1 school, he's very very skilled.

Of course physical attributes make a difference in how you fight, but that's true for every fighter.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

1st AD posted:

Brock's top game was pretty good, he was really nasty with his half guard control and GNP. I think you're really underestimating how effectively he fought there; similar-sized guys like Bigfoot (well, not similar in body composition but he was a big dude nonetheless) didn't exhibit the same kind of consistent top position dominance and damage dealing abilities Brock had. Dude had a college record of 106-5 wrestling at a D1 school, he's very very skilled.

Of course physical attributes make a difference in how you fight, but that's true for every fighter.

Yeah. There's a video out there that broke down how effectively Brock used overhooks to neutralize all of Mir's techniques in their second fight. His attributes helped, but you don't overcome Frank Mir's grappling with just brute strength.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Brock is very skilled especially for a heavyweight

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I remember the days when we MMA goons literally had no hope for a savior and it looked like this prowrestling guy was going to rule over HW forever.

Then the curse kicked in.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
However even in college his size was an enormous part of his game. He outweighed most opponents by 20-40 pounds and many were still competitive with him.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
That's a good point, he was massive as a child and caught with a copious amount of roids at the age of 18 or so.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
I've listened to A BUNCH of Chael talk (see AV) about brocks wrestling career which made it sound as though his size was what made him a killer. It's rubbed off on me and I can't help but agree.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Brock was definitely good at wrestling for obvious reasons like everyone pointed out. He was not good at striking and reacted poorly to being hit, and for those reasons didn't really threaten with level changes and all the other types of ways we traditionally see good mma fighters threaten to get take downs in mma, however here his insane size and strength advantages and weak division made this significantly less of an issue. So if you want to point to that and say that particular thing is what makes him untalented, I guess you can, since if you transported that skill set into like, Jon Dodson's body, Dodson would probably win less often. But since you cannot physically separate a fighter's skills from their physical attributes, that is academic, and not really a sound reason to say Lesnar was talentless.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Captain Log posted:

I've listened to A BUNCH of Chael talk (see AV) about brocks wrestling career which made it sound as though his size was what made him a killer. It's rubbed off on me and I can't help but agree.

Chael is the perpetual Second Place Sonnen and I would really take his opinions on that stuff with a grain of salt. Bottom line, contrary to his claims of being the biggest draw of all time, Brock, Conor, GSP, and Rousey made waaaaaaaay more money off PPV than Chael ever did.

Chael says a lot of poo poo and probably believes a lot of it too, just always be present to the fact that he could never get it done in wrestling, politics, pizza, or in MMA.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

1st AD posted:

Chael is the perpetual Second Place Sonnen and I would really take his opinions on that stuff with a grain of salt. Bottom line, contrary to his claims of being the biggest draw of all time, Brock, Conor, GSP, and Rousey made waaaaaaaay more money off PPV than Chael ever did.

Chael says a lot of poo poo and probably believes a lot of it too, just always be present to the fact that he could never get it done in wrestling, politics, pizza, or in MMA.

Agree. I mean, Chael admits to having roided himself all to hell in order to compete so it's not surprising that he might have formed the idea that strength and size trump skill in MMA.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Chael was at his biggest for the Jones and Rashad fights and still got easily tossed around.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Demian Maia lateral dropped Chael and made it look like he'd never stepped foot on the mat before.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

1st AD posted:

Chael was at his biggest for the Jones and Rashad fights and still got easily tossed around.

I think we're agreeing, but yeah that's what I mean. It's not just Brock's size that let him compete, even if it is part of the formula.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
brock wasn't good at getting hit but his striking was effective before he got shellshocked. flattened heath, knocked out randy, did pretty well against cain before he got hurt and helicoptered.

Gzuz-Kriced
Sep 27, 2000
Master of Spoo

EmmyOk posted:

I keep meaning to ask, is you name supposed to be a soundalike for Jesus Christ?

That is correct. High school is a weird time.

I.N.R.I posted:

they should have fought him then in my opinion. if theoretical results are what decides whos the best at something then why bother getting out of bed

I get your point, but if you say someone is literally the best and then they get beaten badly by people that were very much around at the time they were the "best" (namely Overeem, Cain was arguably unknown when Lesnar won the title over Couture), then the argument doesn't hold up super well.

I do agree though that until someone proves otherwise, you can only go by the results.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

The claim that he was the best is specious, but so is the claim that he's not skilled at fighting.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Gzuz-Kriced posted:

That is correct. High school is a weird time.

I get your point, but if you say someone is literally the best and then they get beaten badly by people that were very much around at the time they were the "best" (namely Overeem, Cain was arguably unknown when Lesnar won the title over Couture), then the argument doesn't hold up super well.

I do agree though that until someone proves otherwise, you can only go by the results.

Even if you want to just go by the results & who has the belt, the issue is situations like with Pride and UFC back in the day where half of the good fighters are in one org and the other half in the other one (for the sake of argument) and both are pretty equally prestigious/popular. Then you have to start coming up with your own justifications for who is actually the best, knowing that most of those guys wont ever fight each other in their prime, which is where it differs from most other sports

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
Despite my posting, I'm a fairly self aware person. I'm also very aware of Chael "Chael-ing" the gently caress out of things. But for me I can think of a list of the most gifted athletes, technical athletes, and athletes that blend both. That's why I started out saying I didn't want to get into semantics because I'm keenly aware that a gifted person can be talented and vice versa. I also don't think Brock is a chump. I just think his skill set in even an average sized heavyweight wouldn't have transferred to such success.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Captain Log posted:

Despite my posting, I'm a fairly self aware person. I'm also very aware of Chael "Chael-ing" the gently caress out of things. But for me I can think of a list of the most gifted athletes, technical athletes, and athletes that blend both. That's why I started out saying I didn't want to get into semantics because I'm keenly aware that a gifted person can be talented and vice versa. I also don't think Brock is a chump. I just think his skill set in even an average sized heavyweight wouldn't have transferred to such success.

The nuance is that an average sized heavyweight wouldn't try to develop a skillset like Brock's. What a fighter does to be successful is going to be linked to what his body can do in some way. It's the same reason P4P rankings are kinda dumb. Of course Mighty Mouse's skillset on a normal sized human probably wouldn't be as effective, to make the obtuse opposite argument.

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
The bleague thread was made 4 years ago...sum1 should make a new one

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
Alright, no semantics -

Brock folds like a Wal-Mart hobo chair during stand up and with his "gifts" he should be the GOAT. Because of that, gently caress 'em.

If someone still has a link to Pat Barry's reaction to the question about training Brock in stand up, go ahead and post it now, please and thank you.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Brock went down to dudes who hit *very* hard. Carwin, Overreem, and Cain aren't exactly Bob's Wings and poo poo Rodeo Fight Series heavies. Plus Lesnar muscled through shots from Hunt. Dude is beastly.

But is he GOAT? No. Maybe in terms of hype and marketing. Is he a highlight reel of fights? Yes, absolutely.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

The bleague thread was made 4 years ago...sum1 should make a new one

i've been half-assedly working on one for a while

i'll try to get something up after this weekend's bellator

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
The Agony and the Ecstasy - A B-League Conundrum

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Captain Log posted:

Alright, no semantics -

Brock folds like a Wal-Mart hobo chair during stand up and with his "gifts" he should be the GOAT. Because of that, gently caress 'em.

If someone still has a link to Pat Barry's reaction to the question about training Brock in stand up, go ahead and post it now, please and thank you.

People can be greatly gifted in one area, and still have weaknesses. Jon Jones is unstoppable in the octagon, but has a weakness for white women and cocaine.

Or something you might understand better:
Pikachu is really good, right?
Pikachu is an electric type, so Ground type moves do a lot of damage against it. Electric type moves don't even affect Ground Type Pokemon. Electric moves aren't very effective against Dragon and Grass Types either, but Dragon and Grass type moves cause normal damage against Electric types.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Fozzy The Bear posted:

People can be greatly gifted in one area, and still have weaknesses. Jon Jones is unstoppable in the octagon, but has a weakness for white women and cocaine.

Or something you might understand better:
Pikachu is really good, right?
Pikachu is an electric type, so Ground type moves do a lot of damage against it. Electric type moves don't even affect Ground Type Pokemon. Electric moves aren't very effective against Dragon and Grass Types either, but Dragon and Grass type moves cause normal damage against Electric types.

I'm in my thirties so I have no loving idea what you are talking about.

But I appreciate the effort.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

LobsterMobster posted:

i've been half-assedly working on one for a while

i'll try to get something up after this weekend's bellator

I was going to nominate you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
http://bellator.spike.com/video-clips/r71wim/bellator-172-the-legend-of-fedor-s-sweater destroy utterly this vile company