Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Pash posted:

Best part about the whole thing is that his definition of completely written turned out to be something silly to the point where I read a blog post years back when Book 2 was delayed that he was stressing to get the book finished but still had entire chapters where the only thing written was "Ambrose does something."

That was part of the backpedaling. It started as "completely written, just needs some editing," moved on to "mostly written, but some chapters just have instructions for what I need to write" (basically what you just posted), and culminated with "nah man it was mostly just an outline." It takes more effort than I care to devote to it right now, but between his blog and reddit AMAs, you can find him saying all of these things (while also getting mad at anyone that mentions the previous statements).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

vseslav.botkin posted:

I think he's gonna finish the book, but probably not until his son is in college. You gotta have priorities, and what's more important than raising your child?

Hang on... you forgot about grandkids! The reward for raising kids!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Oh! I almost forgot! I played Tak at my friend's house this weekend. It's an alright game, but it certainly isn't "beautiful" or anything like that. It's basically Connect Four with a couple more rules. I don't see how any amazingly close well played games could ever take place in it, but it was something half cooked up by a fantasy writer that they had to turn into a fully fledged game to cash in on nerd game nights. Drinking game wise it was pretty alright as well (we had to take a drink every time you 'capped' the other player's piece). Not horrible, but not great either.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

Oh! I almost forgot! I played Tak at my friend's house this weekend. It's an alright game, but it certainly isn't "beautiful" or anything like that. It's basically Connect Four with a couple more rules. I don't see how any amazingly close well played games could ever take place in it, but it was something half cooked up by a fantasy writer that they had to turn into a fully fledged game to cash in on nerd game nights. Drinking game wise it was pretty alright as well (we had to take a drink every time you 'capped' the other player's piece). Not horrible, but not great either.

Man, the pizza delivery guy must've been so excited when he saw it.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Turns out it's really hard to create a game of substantial depth when instead of narrating its results you have to come up with actual rules.

It's the same problem fantasy authors have when trying to emulate Tolkien with their gobbledygook languages- they don't put in the same work, but they expect the same results.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Benson Cunningham posted:

Turns out it's really hard to create a game of substantial depth when instead of narrating its results you have to come up with actual rules.

It's the same problem fantasy authors have when trying to emulate Tolkien with their gobbledygook languages- they don't put in the same work, but they expect the same results.

That actually came up in this thread when someone tried to respond to the criticisms about the bog standard languages not going beyond a few fake words and weird names and they were arguing "oh well most readers won't get it or make the connection so it''s not relevant"

Once you start looking for it and paying attention it's incredible how some authors can take the fantasy "make up words" concept and run with it in a way to make it amazing. Gene Wolfe famously didn't used a single made up word (though you'd assume he did on first read) in his Book of the New Sun and between 1980-83 wrote 4 books of what are arguably the best fantasy ever written.

Some writers are true geniuses (Wolfe, Abercrombie), some are great genre fiction writers(Sanderson, Lynch), some are jumped up hacks who've forgotten their fundamentals and are up their own rear end (Rothfuss, Orson Scott Card). The truly sad part is the last category are people wholly capable of doing/being better but are so consumed with their personal ideas and opinions they will make that leap to the next level.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Feb 14, 2017

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

One of his priorities is to skype with an illustrator about illustrations for the 20 illustrations for the 10th anniversary book for book 1?

I can't sigh deeply enough. I just want him to finish soon so I can see the trilogy to its conclusion.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

TV Zombie posted:

One of his priorities is to skype with an illustrator about illustrations for the 20 illustrations for the 10th anniversary book for book 1?

I can't sigh deeply enough. I just want him to finish soon so I can see the trilogy to its conclusion.

Awww, you think it will be a trilogy still? The storyline hasn't actually progressed anywhere since the first half of book one. Literally you could make up a list of all the things mentioned in the Tavern scenes and I don't think a single one had been resolved, with the entirety of book 2 just adding to it. I don't think you could finish the series even with a Tad Williams To Green Angel Tower sized book. Oh and don't forget a book 2.5, to tell the story of "cool poo poo happened but I'm not going to tell you about it" pirate adventure.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

pentyne posted:

Some writers are true geniuses (Wolfe, Abercrombie),

I'm not sure what makes Abercrombie a genius but because why First Law was decent it definitely wasn't earth-shattering genius.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'm not sure what makes Abercrombie a genius but because why First Law was decent it definitely wasn't earth-shattering genius.

It's difficult to agree on who's a genius. For me, speculative fiction has two geniuses, Tolkien and Frank Herbert, and that's it. Others have a different opinion. But at least in this thread there's a consensus that Rothfuss belongs into the "hacks" category, together with people like Goodkind and Orson Card.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Robert Jordan also made the right call in making his fantasy board game just be Go with a different name.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Atlas Hugged posted:

Robert Jordan also made the right call in making his fantasy board game just be Go with a different name.

You mean the in-universe game? Or did he release a Go clone for WoT fans like Rothfuss did with Tak?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Torrannor posted:

You mean the in-universe game? Or did he release a Go clone for WoT fans like Rothfuss did with Tak?

The in-universe game that he needed royalty and politicians to play as something to do in a scene.

Jordan was famously bad at licensing the Wheel of Time, but not for lack of trying. This was before Game of Thrones or Kickstarter or the miniature games resurgence we've seen over the last year, so the people the license went to were usually people in it for a quick buck.

There was a weird first person shooter PC game. Someone recorded an official soundtrack. Someone was doing comics that stalled. And so on.

Usually though the rights holders would just squander whatever license they'd bought and sit on it. This came to a head recently with the film and TV rights where the holder needed to prove they were doing something with the license so it wouldn't lapse and made a fifteen minute "pilot" for a show and aired it in the middle of the night as paid programming.

His widow has spent most of her time since his death working to get the various rights back (when not working on mediocre cash in books of her own).

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Have there been any fictional games that haven't been terribly portrayed? Quidditch is a joke, Cyvasse is chess. The only vaguely interesting one is Iain M Banks's Damage - and as that's poker with electrocution and cyanide capsules it's probably not going to get approved by Hasbro.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Have there been any fictional games that haven't been terribly portrayed? Quidditch is a joke, Cyvasse is chess. The only vaguely interesting one is Iain M Banks's Damage - and as that's poker with electrocution and cyanide capsules it's probably not going to get approved by Hasbro.

Are you saying they are poorly portrayed in real life, or in their respective books? Because Quidditch loving owns in the books.

But yeah, obviously without the same technology or magic present in the book, the real world adaptation isn't gonna be great. But if the game relies only on things that can be duplicated in actual reality (as tak does), then it seems fair to cast aspersions on it if it sucks in real life.

Benson Cunningham fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Feb 14, 2017

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Strom Cuzewon posted:

There was also stuff you could do to mess with your opponents emotions and stuff while they tried to play their cards.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I summon the blue-eyes white dragon

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Torrannor posted:

It's difficult to agree on who's a genius. For me, speculative fiction has two geniuses, Tolkien and Frank Herbert, and that's it. Others have a different opinion. But at least in this thread there's a consensus that Rothfuss belongs into the "hacks" category, together with people like Goodkind and Orson Card.

Have you read any of Herbert's later, post-Dune poo poo? Because hooboy.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

I'd take Wolfe and Zelazny over pretty much anyone.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Are you saying they are poorly portrayed in real life, or in their respective books? Because Quidditch loving owns in the books.

But yeah, obviously without the same technology or magic present in the book, the real world adaptation isn't gonna be great. But if the game relies only on things that can be duplicated in actual reality (as tak does), then it seems fair to cast aspersions on it if it sucks in real life.
The rules of Quidditch would make for a phenomenally terrible sport even if all the magic existed to let people fly on brooms and such. You'd just be watching it for the spectacle at that point, but even then something like Airborne Lacrosse would be more interesting as a sport. You can give it something of a pass in a book because even most sports would sound incredibly lame if you wrote out how they were played and didn't exhaustively explain all the rules that people have internalized for the real ones; still, attempting to translate that to real life generally sucks because in the same sense writers who aren't actual linguist JRR Tolkien suck at making up languages, people who don't design board or card games probably aren't very good at designing board or card games.

I like when standards like Chess, Go, or Poker show up because it suggests those games are basically a universal and would be derived even in fantasy worlds or preserved/rediscovered even into the distant eons in a sci-fi setting.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I summon the blue-eyes white dragon

Exodia, destroy the fantasy game debate.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Dragon Poker?

Pyramid?

Only two I can think of.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Nakar posted:

...Quidditch sucks...

Quidditch's purpose in the books is not to translate directly to real life as a sport. 1) it can't (magic isn't real). 2) It isn't meant to be judged on its ruleset, it's a tool to incept sport and varsity team experiences into the novel. To judge Quidditch on it's merit as a functional sport would be like judging a talking sword on its ability to cut things- just because its shaped like a sword doesn't mean that's what it's supposed to do.

The reason it's different from Tak is that Patrick Rothfuss is on record as saying Tak is a legit, beautiful game that can exist (and now does) in the real world. So it's fair to judge it by the same standards you would judge any other board game by.

That's how I feel about it at least. Quidditch fulfills the purposes it was created to fulfill. Rothfuss got too ambitious with Tak and because of that, its flaws now flow both ways- lessening its believability in the book and providing an unsatisfying experience in real life.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Nakar posted:

I like when standards like Chess, Go, or Poker show up because it suggests those games are basically a universal and would be derived even in fantasy worlds or preserved/rediscovered even into the distant eons in a sci-fi setting.

My favorite is still Tonk.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonk_(card_game)

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Yeah Quidditch isn't really supposed to be a sport that makes sense, it's an illustration of how hidebound and insular wizard culture as a whole is

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Did Star Trek invent 3d chess?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Solice Kirsk posted:

Did Star Trek invent 3d chess?

No - that dates to 1907.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-dimensional_chess

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Quidditch is obviously awful if you understand arithmetic and team sport dynamics. The stats of Harry Potter fans run 95% (allowing for age) and 15% on these independent variables, so few notice.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Would the game played in the Witcher series count, or was that game just inside the Witcher games and not something that ever got mentioned in the novels?

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Quidditch is obviously awful if you understand arithmetic and team sport dynamics. The stats of Harry Potter fans run 95% (allowing for age) and 15% on these independent variables, so few notice.

Oh wait of course I get it now. Quidditch is awful.

Also, I don't think Voldemort was a very good teacher in book one. In the real world he would never have been hired.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Nakar posted:

The rules of Quidditch would make for a phenomenally terrible sport even if all the magic existed to let people fly on brooms and such. You'd just be watching it for the spectacle at that point, but even then something like Airborne Lacrosse would be more interesting as a sport.

Rowling is on record as saying that she deliberately wrote the rules of Quidditch in such a way to annoy the kind of man who who would be annoyed by a magic sport with rules that don't make logical sense.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Trin Tragula posted:

Rowling is on record as saying that she deliberately wrote the rules of Quidditch in such a way to annoy the kind of man who who would be annoyed by a magic sport with rules that don't make logical sense.

...and that doesn't sound like the puppetmaster defense at all.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Trin Tragula posted:

I thought it was a jab at how stupid she found real life sports.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

I know we're way off topic (par for the course, right?) but can people honestly not see that the rules of magic basketball are entirely ancillary to any points the game is used to make in the narrative?

I feel like I'm the crazy one or something.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Although obviously rather vaguely described, I thought Azad was a neat concept too. Kind of like a super complicated RTS from before those were really a thing.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

I know we're way off topic (par for the course, right?) but can people honestly not see that the rules of magic basketball are entirely ancillary to any points the game is used to make in the narrative?

Yes. However, coming up with rules for magic basketball that manifestly make no sense ruins the suspension of disbelief for some.

Personally what drives me nuts is when some outside with no experience stands up, makes a speech or two, and cuts through all the gordian knots that have been stopping the two political camps from just compromising on the Right Solution.

...or anything* referencing the judicial system, either way.

*Craft Sequence excepted, to the extent it counts.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

There is no way you read Harry Potter and actually thought, "oh my god my immersion" because you had so mastered the rules of Quidditch that you ceased to follow the story and obsessed over the rules of wizard basketball.

That's like the literal definition of autism.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
wrong topic

i81icu812 fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Feb 15, 2017

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

I was trying so hard to understand how that post should follow from mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

There is no way you read Harry Potter and actually thought, "oh my god my immersion"

No. I haven't read the series. I do have similar problems with political and legal descriptions and I can see how others could have problems with the rules.

That's like the literal definition of autism.

I think you will find that is "a variable developmental disorder that appears by age three and is characterized by impairment of the ability to form normal social relationships, by impairment of the ability to communicate with others, and by repetitive behavior patterns —called also autistic disorder "

• Locked thread