Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

alex314 posted:

That person went into areas controlled by DNR to promote LGBT rights??
Yes, which is why I barely find it any more depressing than other news from the region. There's activism, and then there's literally killing yourself because you've lived for years on Internet from your mother's apartment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Openly promoting LGBT rights in an active war zone being fought over by various ultranationalist and ultra-ultranationalist warbands is effectively suicide. Poor, stupid guy. :(

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

cinci zoo sniper posted:

In slightly more depressing news, a Russian LGBT activist has gone missing on January 31, as he entered DPR.

went missing... or went back into the closet???

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Givi's funeral.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Givi's funeral.

I want to see the corpse. :colbert:

And you call it murder? I think his death was absolutely justified.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

I just read (I don't have english source, only russian https://www.facebook.com/roizmangbn/posts/1282543421812632?pnref=story) that cases of domestic violence tripled in Yekaterinburg - from 130 to 350 of weekly cases reported to police. The source (of this informaiton) is mayor of Yekaterinburg.

gj, Putin :thumbsup:

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Feb 10, 2017

VoltairePunk
Dec 26, 2012

I have become Umlaut, destroyer of words
Just a thought that occurred to me today: Could it be, that the current escalation in fighting in Eastern Ukraine is meant to "trigger" or "force" Ukraine to do something very stupid, so it could then be used to justify a full scale retaliatory strike from Russia itself. A bit similar to what happened in Georgia in 2008. I don't want to rail off the thread or start a Clancy'ish chat, but thought I'd share.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Dwesa posted:

I just read (I don't have english source, only russian https://www.facebook.com/roizmangbn/posts/1282543421812632?pnref=story) that cases of domestic violence tripled in Yekaterinburg - from 130 to 350 of weekly cases reported to police. The source is mayor of Yekaterinburg.

gj, Putin :thumbsup:

What, the mayor of Yekaterinburg is beating his 220 wives now?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

Yekaterinburg isn't in Chechnya, I think, so normal Russian laws against polygamy should still apply.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

spacetoaster posted:

I want to see the corpse. :colbert:

And you call it murder? I think his death was absolutely justified.
It is a murder de facto and de iure, especially with no actors or motivation in sight. As I've mentioned above, I would have highly preferred to see him tried in court, so the case is clear cut, and he does not get to be martyred. Another thing, I'm not a proponent of death penalty.

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo
The Polish Ministry of Defense just placed an order for 1000 "tactical pens". They are supposed to be made of aircraft-grade aluminum and equipped with a LED flashlight, a window-breaking tool and concealed knife . Under Polish law possession of such a pen would be illegal without a permit as it would be classified as a concealed weapon. They are part of an order for promotional materials for the ministry. This country is ridiculous :poland:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Fatal Error posted:

The Polish Ministry of Defense just placed an order for 1000 "tactical pens". They are supposed to be made of aircraft-grade aluminum and equipped with a LED flashlight, a window-breaking tool and concealed knife . Under Polish law possession of such a pen would be illegal without a permit as it would be classified as a concealed weapon. They are part of an order for promotional materials for the ministry. This country is ridiculous :poland:

Those things are pretty cool. My wife is a nurse and I got her one. It doesn't have a flashlight though. It's just a good stabby weapon.

I don't know how it would be illegal since it's just a pen with a metal body (wink wink).

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo
The problem is that it is supposed to contain a hidden blade. This is what makes it cross the line.

VoltairePunk
Dec 26, 2012

I have become Umlaut, destroyer of words
Right and the flexible pocket knives are not weapons? Wtf?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Aren't switchblades also banned?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

The Polish government must have been playing too much Witcher 3, always rooting for the paranoid Radovid against Niilfgaard (Russia) and 'those drat refugees' (Dwarves, Elves, etc), right?

Because that would make sense.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

Aren't switchblades also banned?

No, unless you bring them to a mass event. Only thing that's banned is knives that are hidden in objects that don't look like knives.

Btw, a gravity knife can be brought to a mass event, but a switchblade can't. At least that was the case a while ago. Don't ask how I know this

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Givi's funeral.

Is this normal exhaust, or are they doing a burn out?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Flocons de Jambon posted:

Is this normal exhaust, or are they doing a burn out?
Are you stupid or pretending?

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's a sick funeral burn out

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/feb/11/car-crash-puts-polands-prime-minister-in-hospital

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

I can't wait to hear about how they were reusing dud tyres again but that it's definitely a conspiracy

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Spangly A posted:

I can't wait to hear about how they were reusing dud tyres again but that it's definitely a conspiracy
Like "Putin was trying to use Polish Remover again"?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

The question is, when did he stop?

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
video: last night's protest in Bucharest

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006
It is my understanding that Lithuania had a brand creation fiasco last week and it involved stock photos taken of other countries.

Well no worries, Estonia had the same. On the right, a photo of a very American forest:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

jonnypeh posted:

It is my understanding that Lithuania had a brand creation fiasco last week and it involved stock photos taken of other countries.

Well no worries, Estonia had the same. On the right, a photo of a very American forest:

Jerry Cotton posted:

So Latvia had a big tourism campaign and they used photographs of Finland for the brochures. I mean how bad does a place have to be that they would rather depict Finland of all places than their own country?

E:

In other news, in Gurbanguly Berdymukhamedov got re-elected as the president of Turkmenistan for the 3rd term, with almost 98% of the vote.

E2:

Russia might be running out of high-quality wheat (used for bread).

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Feb 13, 2017

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Russia might be running out of high-quality wheat (used for bread).

Weren't they just bragging about have a wheat surplus this year?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Young Freud posted:

The recent (autumn 20160 bragging was about surplus of 2015 strengthening the economy, if I am not mistaken.

Besides that, you can have a high-quality wheat deficit while having an overall wheat surplus. High quality wheat is about a quarter of their wheat production, and a major export product.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Feb 13, 2017

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Young Freud posted:

The difference is they making much larger quantity of "4th class wheat" and a smaller quantity of "3rd class wheat" (used for bread making) so bread makers are starting to substitute inferior wheat. Also, wheat prices have hit rock bottom, so what is probably going on is producers are now exporting more 3rd class wheat in order to get some type of profit leaving more 4th class wheat in domestic surplus.

I guess the topic of the overall state of the Russian economy should come up, while it is still quite a mixed bag, unfortunately it looks like it has stabilized and may start to grow again. It looks like inflation has dropped to acceptable levels (5%), while growth may have been positive in the 4th quarter of 2016. This is likely due to one big factor: one oil prices have recovered to some extent and so has the ruble. While the Ruble (right now at 57.9 to the dollar) is still weak versus the dollar, it has closed the gap with the Euro quite a bit (now to around 61 versus 45-47 pre-crisis). This has meant (mostly) non-food imports) from the EU have dropped in relative price to 2015. In addition, the price inflation for food (which spiked in 2015) has slowed as the ruble relatively strengthens. However, food prices higher than it would be without counter-sanctions.

Also, this has meant a relatively positive outlook for the Russian budget since it gets so much from oil revenue, and may actually beat deficit projections for 2017, the budget reserve may not run out this year or in in 2018 either. (This is very much up in the air and reliant on oil prices through 2017-2018 staying above $55 Brent. However, the higher Brent prices goes so does the likelihood Russia will be able to stabilize its budget this year).

I am just saying this from what I have gleaned from recent statistics, the Russian economy isn't soaring but doesn't seem on the edge of collapse either. The Russian Central Bank at this point may start lowering interest rates in 2017 in order to avoid inflation dropping below 2-3%.

I don't think that Caspian Report clip was all that accurate if you want to get a picture of the nuts and bolts of what is happening.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Feb 13, 2017

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The White House has officially confirmed that they expect Russia to end violence in Ukraine and stop the occupation of Crimea, condemns Obama's administration for "allowing (the current situation) to happen".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZE2sNzrB30

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
A reminder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjpGfjzheeo&t=26s

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

A reminder of what?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

spacetoaster posted:

A reminder of what?

"The president has been incredibly tough on Russia. He continues to raise the issue of Crimea. [...] He expects the Russian government to [...] return Crimea." versus his confused mumbling about Ukraine and "hearing the people of Crimea would rather be with Russia"

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

steinrokkan posted:

The White House has officially confirmed that they expect Russia to end violence in Ukraine and stop the occupation of Crimea, condemns Obama's administration for "allowing (the current situation) to happen".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZE2sNzrB30

While I appreciate the sentiment, how exactly are they planning on making that happen? By blowing Putin so much he forgets about it?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Rinkles posted:

"The president has been incredibly tough on Russia. He continues to raise the issue of Crimea. [...] He expects the Russian government to [...] return Crimea." versus his confused mumbling about Ukraine and "hearing the people of Crimea would rather be with Russia"

As everybody expected, the reins of administration have been taken up by people who are not Trump, but speak in his name.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Rinkles posted:

I'll give him a pass on not knowing a lot about it last year before his election.

Do you think the people in Crimea didn't want to be with Russia back when it happened?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

spacetoaster posted:

I'll give him a pass on not knowing a lot about it last year before his election.

Do you think the people in Crimea didn't want to be with Russia back when it happened?
They voted almost unanimously in favor of joining Russia in a referendum right before forces moved in, so I don't know why this 'violated international borders and sovereignty' thing was such a big deal when a province wanted to leave the Ukraine to join Russia. I don't get it.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Grouchio posted:

They voted almost unanimously in favor of joining Russia in a referendum right before forces moved in, so I don't know why this 'violated international borders and sovereignty' thing was such a big deal when a province wanted to leave the Ukraine to join Russia. I don't get it.

The referendum was not before the forces moved in, because guess who organized it? Also opponents of Russia, and especially the Tatars, boycotted that referendum so obviously if only the people who are for are voting, then the results will be near unanimous. Finally if you were to try to organize such a referendum in Russia itself, like say for Kamchatka's independence or whatever, you'd end up overdosing on Polonium in a jail cell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit

Grouchio posted:

I'd be skeptical of this supposed unanimous vote.

I think Euromaiden was a popular uprising to get out of Russia's influence. I don't think Crimea residents would have a different opinion. But both sides' media are slanted and you never know what the truth is.

That said Ukrainian people as a whole are pretty cynical and downtrodden since their government is always corrupt as poo poo. At the end of the day it should be what would be better for the Ukrainian people. That sort of gets lost in this Russia vs the West tug of war. On one hand being a Russian satellite country tends to be lovely and countries that escaped it became better i.e. Poland and sure as poo poo don't want to return. On the other hand, it's not like the current Western leaning government is ridding itself of corruption at a rapid pace. It just switched oligarchs in charge.

But we can keep jerking off talking about whose better while the actual people continue to suffer.