Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Yea, the biggest problem I have with the whole punch a nazi nonsense is people have proven over the last 8 years that the term is extremely muddied and everyone is a Nazi if you disagree with them hard enough. It means nothing now. That chick who interview Milo Y was ostracized from the left for even speaking to him on less then hostile terms and they want to dictate who the fascists are? It's madness.

I remember the tea party calling Obama a Nazi, hitler, etc back in 08 and we all laughed at those people and now the modern fringe left tea party is doing it to trump, his supporters, and anyone who doesn't tow the party line.

Justifying political violence with, as a crazy person declared earlier today, no substantiation at all necessary is loving terrifying to me- way more so than whatever doomsday scenario there is where people are scared of the anime avatars from twitter taking over.

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Feb 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
am i allowed to attack other people who are bad. like if someone was a pedo or something can i just start beating the hell out of em? i am not a political expert or left wing think piece writer but i feel like this would create a cool new world to live in

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
I routinely beat people who don't agree with me, just ask my wife and kids.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
Joe snorts like a monkey when someone challenges his opinion or he feels defensive when making a statement. Anybody else notice this? I can't stop hearing it now. It's not really a snort I guess, kind of like a cocaine sniff.

Just trying to change the subject.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I never noticed that but will listen for it now.

I was late to the party for the Alex Jones episode but oh man that was hilarious. I love that it was episode 911 too. Another new thread subject could be who you think will be the guest(s) on episode 1,000.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
1000 will be joey diaz and bill burr and brian redban for the first 30 minutes until he gets sick of joey and burr giving him poo poo

ragle
Nov 1, 2009

Decades posted:

More importantly I've been thinking lately about a lady Joe had on a few years back, good looking brunette whose name I can't recall at all, who was a radical advocate for a health movement essentially based on never being physically comfortable. It led her to the point of having no furniture in her house and not wearing a harness to carry her toddler, as it was the toddler's job to harden the gently caress up and latch on like a baby monkey. It was really interesting because the main idea of it was actually pretty convincing at first, but as the episode went on and she revealed the extremes that she took it to by the end of the podcast she had painted herself as a transparently actual crazy person. If anyone remembers the episode number I'd like to rewatch and peer back into that void.

iirc this is it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ub5OLNnN-o

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
I could post more about how and why fascism (the actual real kind not the everything I don't like is Hitler kind) is coming back worldwide but I'll just post an interesting article and Twitter thread that deals directly with real Nazis and y'all can read and simmer on it if you feel like it

The FBI Has Quietly Investigated White Supremacist Infiltration of Law Enforcement
https://theintercept.com/2017/01/31/the-fbi-has-quietly-investigated-white-supremacist-infiltration-of-law-enforcement/

https://twitter.com/puckett101/status/822903723164835840

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

CortezFantastic posted:

I could post more about how and why fascism (the actual real kind not the everything I don't like is Hitler kind) is coming back worldwide but I'll just post an interesting article and Twitter thread that deals directly with real Nazis and y'all can read and simmer on it if you feel like it

The FBI Has Quietly Investigated White Supremacist Infiltration of Law Enforcement
https://theintercept.com/2017/01/31/the-fbi-has-quietly-investigated-white-supremacist-infiltration-of-law-enforcement/

https://twitter.com/puckett101/status/822903723164835840

I only saw Joe Rogan mentioned in that article twice, so I don't really see your point.

Oh and that tweet is loving stupid. Thanks for trying though!

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

beep by grandpa posted:

Yea, the biggest problem I have with the whole punch a nazi nonsense is people have proven over the last 8 years that the term is extremely muddied and everyone is a Nazi if you disagree with them hard enough.

I agree with most of what you're saying here, but also there does seem to have been a tangible rise lately in groups deliberately evoking Nazi and fascist imagery and rhetoric, and those people are a different story.

Lovechop posted:

am i allowed to attack other people who are bad. like if someone was a pedo or something can i just start beating the hell out of em? i am not a political expert or left wing think piece writer but i feel like this would create a cool new world to live in

Would I advise that course personally for you, or argue that vigilante violence should be legalized? No. Am I glad that publicly professing white nationalism to a saluting crowd still results in a person getting cracked in the mouth in broad daylight? Absolutely.

sweet

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
One punch to Richard Spencer and he immediately admitted that if they can't safely go out and broadcast their views, they will not grow as a movement. You guys can pretend that you can reason with fascists, argue your points with them and life will be better for all involved, but it doesn't work like that.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

crazy cloud posted:

i don't have to substantiate poo poo, fascists deserve to be met with violence, the language they deal in and only one they listen to

you do, actually, because if you're labeling everyone a fascist without substantiated evidence and then suggesting people physically harm or kill them, you are, literally, a fascist yourself. witch hunts and mcarthyism isnt good leftist praxis ya dingus

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

CortezFantastic posted:

One punch to Richard Spencer and he immediately admitted that if they can't safely go out and broadcast their views, they will not grow as a movement. You guys can pretend that you can reason with fascists, argue your points with them and life will be better for all involved, but it doesn't work like that.

you can gently caress with fascists all you want but this slippery slope garbage where i see nerds online find any point of disagreement they can, shut the opposing person out entirely, and then call them a fascist while jerking off about committing brutal violence against them is boring whiny loser poo poo. the world isn't a binary split between righteous stalinist murderers of women and children and evil nazi murderers of women and children.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

Under the vegetable posted:

you can gently caress with fascists all you want but this slippery slope garbage where i see nerds online find any point of disagreement they can, shut the opposing person out entirely, and then call them a fascist while jerking off about committing brutal violence against them is boring whiny loser poo poo. the world isn't a binary split between righteous stalinist murderers of women and children and evil nazi murderers of women and children.

No poo poo. People are getting seriously confused since I guess Godwin's Law broke everyone's mind, but there is a very clear and present movement going on worldwide. This isn't just Milo's market of shut-in unfuckable nerds who get mad about women not loving them anymore.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

CortezFantastic posted:

I think he's full of poo poo and is intentionally pulling the victim card. It's quite the opposite as this post says here:

Decades posted:

I agree with most of what you're saying here, but also there does seem to have been a tangible rise lately in groups deliberately evoking Nazi and fascist imagery and rhetoric, and those people are a different story.

I think hitting them does nothing but generate sympathy for them from those already on the border of white supremacy. Add to that the childish divisive political rhetoric these days of evil white people this and evil white people that, eventually these people will feel backed into a corner and will feel justified becoming white supremacists.

All the nazi punchers are doing is fanning the flames of white persecution complex, especially since, let's be real here, white people are socially not allowed to defend themselves from racism. If I went up to a white person yelling "gently caress you, die you white cracker motherfucker" what can they really do or say to me that's acceptable by society?

It's all very complicated but idk no one likes nazis but wholesale beating the poo poo out of people is just horrible and barbaric to me and seems like it'll just cause more problems.

I'm enjoying the convo btw and I don't mind the derail since everyone's been cool and civil about it :tipshat: you're all all right even the one guy who's like legit mentally ill

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
I think a white person could acceptably call out racism if someone angrily called them a racial slur, which cracker technically is, I guess.

That being said, I don't think there's any word for white people that carries the weight of a history of oppression like other slurs do. You'd have to get down to the level of nationality for that, and that's a completely different thing, though it is superficially similar.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Full disclosure, I never asked anyone this but for years I've wondered if the closest thing you call a white person that's offensive on a racial level that is in any way comparable to the impact of other slurs and would stick with them is to call them a racist.

Kind of a dated thought tho as the word has been thrown around so much the last few years it doesn't have nearly the impact or meaning (obama's a racist, everyone who voted trump is a racist, the oscars are racist, milk is racist, etc).

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Milk is racist tho

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Decades posted:

Would I advise that course personally for you, or argue that vigilante violence should be legalized? No. Am I glad that publicly professing white nationalism to a saluting crowd still results in a person getting cracked in the mouth in broad daylight? Absolutely.

ah that's cool i actually agree with you, then. on a personal level, it is hard to care if someone who is a real piece of poo poo gets knocked out.. i don't know much about that one guy but he seems pretty disgusting. so that's whatever. i just don't like the idea of it being some sanctioned vigilante thing where everyone goes around beating the gently caress out of people because when that happens some hosed up poo poo starts going on.

also beep by grandma is right - it's nice to have a civil conversation about this where everyone shares their ideas :)

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

beep by grandpa posted:

Full disclosure, I never asked anyone this but for years I've wondered if the closest thing you call a white person that's offensive on a racial level that is in any way comparable to the impact of other slurs and would stick with them is to call them a racist.

Kind of a dated thought tho as the word has been thrown around so much the last few years it doesn't have nearly the impact or meaning (obama's a racist, everyone who voted trump is a racist, the oscars are racist, milk is racist, etc).

if liberals on facebook and twitter are any indication, they think that word is "wypipo".

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Steven Crowder two hours in, pot conversation, lol.
I wonder if this whole episode will be this angry.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I have never heard Joe get this angry holy poo poo.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
I can't put enough quotes around Crowder calling himself a "comedian"

not watching but I hope he laid into him because Crowder is just a turd whose "jokes" just involve him trying to blow his friend

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Just tuned in for a few minutes. This is a disaster lol

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Apparently Joe is a bully.

Edit: watched about 5 minutes, Crowder is whining a lot and seems upset. :lol:

Dirt fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Feb 16, 2017

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Crowder is such a puss. Why is he getting so pissy about Joe Rogan defending weed? He's Joe Rogan! Defending weed is what he does!

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

I am amazed that this dumb, boring, unfunny rear end in a top hat is who young right wing Americans online consider one of their front men.

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

yeah the crowder guy is a bitch, whines about getting double teamed by joe and jamie, and then he talks homeschooling, wahhh just as bad as ana kasparian and abbey martin, skip!

Banditoh
Aug 13, 2005
This Crowder guy sucks dick. Nothing interesting to hear here.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Hocus Pocus posted:

I am amazed that this dumb, boring, unfunny rear end in a top hat is who young right wing Americans online consider one of their front men.

Lol you just answered your own question.

beep by grandpa posted:

It's all very complicated but idk no one likes nazis but wholesale beating the poo poo out of people is just horrible and barbaric to me and seems like it'll just cause more problems.

Under the vegetable posted:

A Canadian who was directly inspired by the likes of Milo, Spencer, Breitbart, Etc. Walked into a mosque and machine gunned six people after becoming radicalized and indoctrinated by those fascist animals.

Yet you're bothered so much when someone decides to clock them for spreading that Idea, for trying to drag people back into the the worst aspects of history, and set culture back at least 50 years and invite violence and oppression to minorities and the weak.

gently caress them.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
this happened today in Greece

https://twitter.com/mathaiaus/status/832018743081398272

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I have said over and over that I'm terrified by the precedent mob punching sets on how we confront abhorrent views, I never said that I feel bad for these people. If I have learned anything watching politics my entire adulthood is that things are only becoming more hyperbolic, not less. That is the rub for me. I honestly do not know how to be any more clear about this.

Al-Saqr posted:

A Canadian who was directly inspired by the likes of Milo, Spencer, Breitbart, Etc. Walked into a mosque and machine gunned six people after becoming radicalized and indoctrinated by those fascist animals.

Do you think the Dallas sniper that killed 5 cops last year was directly inspired by BLM? By your logic you must believe both killing sprees were directly inspired by the aforementioned groups.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
as the jackboot crushes my windpipe at least i will in my final fleeting moments be able to feel smugly superior about not being violent in resisting the literal nazis turning the nation into a white nationalist hellhole :unsmith: at least i never became hyperbolic, is my last thought, as my eyes roll back and blood mists out of my nostrils with my last breath. maybe they were right that the truth was somewhere in the middle between me deserving death and me having a right to live despite not performing gender and whiteness as demanded by the literal nazis, and as a reward for my moderation I will enjoy a long stay in the bardo between this realm and the next. here's hoping

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

beep by grandpa posted:

Do you think the Dallas sniper that killed 5 cops last year was directly inspired by BLM? By your logic you must believe both killing sprees were directly inspired by the aforementioned groups.

Except Black lives matter doesnt advocate suppressing and hurting and oppressing other human beings, they advocate for civil rights. and they dont have historical precedents which resulted in millions of human beings were shoved into ovens and millions of african americans being treated like subhumans. the same cannot be said for the alt-right at all, not only do they not hide it, they bask in it.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Al-Saqr posted:

Except Black lives matter doesnt advocate suppressing and hurting and oppressing other human beings, they advocate for civil rights. and they dont have historical precedents which resulted in millions of human beings were shoved into ovens and millions of african americans being treated like subhumans. the same cannot be said for the alt-right at all, not only do they not hide it, they bask in it.

I honestly can't believe that you're not a parody. Or maybe you're 12?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Ariza posted:

no just someone who actually listened to what Gavin McInnes, Milo, Spencer, Breitbart etc. had to say and compared their words and outlook with people who spoke just like them in the past.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Ariza posted:

? I mean comparing Alt right to BLM is pretty parodical

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?

beep by grandpa posted:

I have never heard Joe get this angry holy poo poo.

I take it you've never seen the Jaime Kilstein episode then. Joe was screaming at the top of his lungs at him. It got really ugly and they're no longer on speaking terms I think.

Chromatic fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Feb 16, 2017

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Chromatic posted:

I take it you've never seen the Jaime Kilstein episode then. Joe was screaming at the top of his lungs at him. It got really ugly and they're no longer on speaking terms I think.

Jesus, that episode sure was something. I've thought about the argument they had over rape vs murder so many times over the years. I almost want to listen to it again just to compare who I side with now vs who I sided with a few years ago...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

beep by grandpa posted:

Do you think people standing outside of mosques holding assault rifles and hateful signs are fine because they are currently peaceful? These types of people are an incident away from losing their poo poo due to rhetoric from Trump, Breitbart, Alex Jones, Drudge, etc; People are currently, as in the present, burning down mosques and synagogues. Death and bomb threats weekly. A Trump fan shot up a mosque. A kid shot up a black church. You have to be able to see the pure hatred and xenophobia these outlets and personalities are causing. I don't think you understand that peace is relative, and there is a difference between punching your uncle at a dinner because he thinks Trump is actually good, or fighting for the most vulnerable when those in power want them crushed. White nationalism is only growing, and is infiltrating our law enforcement, unchecked. This should, at the very least, worry you.