Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Should I worry about the number of PCIE lanes if I'm not going for some high-end SLI configuration with a lot of SSDs? I only have a single GPU (GTX 970 Mini) on a ITX motherboard (B150I PRO GAMING/WIFI/AURA) and I'm wondering about whether to buy a NVMe SSD or not. The way I (hopefully correctly) understand it is that PCIE lanes are provided by both CPU and the chipset/motherboard. In my case the CPU (i7-6700) supports at max 16 lanes which are going to be used solely by the GPU since there are no additional PCIE slots. According to the specifications, the B150 chipset provides 8 lanes which are only used for drives I assume (what else can they be used by?). I only have one M.2 slot so not like that's going to change anything :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrabay2000
Jan 1, 2010

I think you're fine. The lanes could be used by random things on the motherboard like ethernet, usb3.0, SATA ect ect, but I think the worse case is some devices might not get as many lanes as they could have ideally and should still work.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

ultrabay2000 posted:

Yeah, it's weird. I got that speed ram cause it was the recommendation at the time which had been the recommendation going back forever but it seems there's been a sea change on this issue.

I tried turning on the motherboard robot overclocker and noticed I was seeing CPU temps of mid-70 C. That's seems odd I thought, so I turned it off and was still seeing mid-70 C CPU temps. At this point I was like wtf and took apart my computer. Found out the CPU cooler wasn't all that secured on there.

I think I have a Cooler Master T3 Evo, too lazy to look it up. It it has those stupid plastic locking feet which took forever to get back on there I wasn't all to convinced it was going to stay on there because they kept splaying out. Got it fixed and it now idles at about exactly 30 C or in-game the temp is around 50C running at 4.2GHz.

I didn't end up playing that much but the game did feel smoother and seemed like I was getting closer to 50 FPS.

On a side note - does anyone here use Dxtory? Does the on-screen FPS counter incur a performance hit?

It's not that strange, really. But the issue probably goes further back than that. In the Sandy Bridge days, nothing really benefitted from higher than 1600, so that recommendation got parroted by everyone for eternity. I don't know who to credit for actually doing new tests initially, but Digital Foundry is probably the best at illustrating the difference it makes now. Now, as we can see, some newer big AAA games can actually benefit from faster RAM.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Cancelbot posted:

Along the lines of the above. I have the following:

i5 4670K @ 4GHz
16GB DDR3 1600
Gigabyte GTX 970 "ITX Edition" - http://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N970IXOC-4GD#ov
Corsair TX650W
2560x1440 Display

Current games: Rocket League, Elite Dangerous, World of Warships, Battlefield 1

For a meaningful upgrade should I "wait for ryzen :v:" or get a GTX 1070? I don't need an ITX edition it was just the best value card at the time as i have a carbide 2 case. Elite Dangerous only really lags hard if I decided to fight close to a big ship, which is what I do often.

You won't see much of an improvement jumping from Haswell -> Kaby Lake except on Battlefield 1 maybe, but even then, it's not worth purchasing a CPU + Mobo + DDR4 Ram. You'll see an immediate impact getting a GTX 1070 especially in 1440p.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Are the pricier Z270's motherboards necessarily better than cheaper ones?

Like for example my ASUS Z270 TUF Mark 2 v ASUS ROG Maximus IX Hero Z270

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Feb 13, 2017

ultrabay2000
Jan 1, 2010

VulgarandStupid posted:

It's not that strange, really. But the issue probably goes further back than that. In the Sandy Bridge days, nothing really benefitted from higher than 1600, so that recommendation got parroted by everyone for eternity. I don't know who to credit for actually doing new tests initially, but Digital Foundry is probably the best at illustrating the difference it makes now. Now, as we can see, some newer big AAA games can actually benefit from faster RAM.

Yeah, I thought it had been an adage for awhile that ram speed had negligible significance for most cases compared to amount of ram. The first computer I built was a Athlon 64 2800+ and I don't remember ever seeing anything until recently saying to pay attention to ram speed other than make sure it's compatible. Not to say that it was never important, but I never heard of it being so.

ultrabay2000 fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 13, 2017

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
So I'm building a tiny home office PC for my parents, they don't do anything resource intensive and basically need a barebones internet browser / MS Office runner build. The complication is that they want an optical drive because They're Parents.

I've never done an ITX build before but here's what I put together, any suggestions on how to make it better? Budget is of no concern but clearly I'm gonna try to spend as little money as possible:

Mobo: ASRock H110m-ITX with Wi-Fi
Chip: Core i3-6100
RAM: 16 GB of this basic stuff
SSD: A 512GB Samsung EVO
Power: Silverstone SFX 450W

Case I'm looking at is a Silverstone FTZ01 for the horizontal / vertical form factor but... Is there an internal slot load DVD drive that will fit in that case? I'm kind of stuck on this point, my search results kick out a lot of external USB drives.

Otherwise maybe the Coolermaster 130 elite with a regular ol' commodity DVD writer and just explain that it's gonna be a bit blocky.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Agrajag posted:

Are the pricier Z270's motherboards necessarily better than cheaper ones?

Like for example my ASUS Z270 TUF Mark 2 v ASUS ROG Maximus IX Hero Z270

Generally the biggest difference between the low, mid, and high-end boards is that the higher-ends have better power filtering and processing (they don't order as many of the higher-quality caps, chokes, and MOSFETs, so they pass on the cost to the consumer), as well as upgraded sound codecs, 'reinforced' slots, etc. They're over-designed for overclocking hobbyists, basically.

In the case of the TUF vs. the Maximus - the Maximus has higher overclockability for DDR4, suggesting it has a better memory controller IC, the TUF doesn't have a Type-C USB 3.1 port, and, well, there are some other differences that are more easily viewable here: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?CompareItemList=280%7C13%2D132%2D927%5E13%2D132%2D927%2C13%2D132%2D935%5E13%2D132%2D935

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Feb 14, 2017

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Ol Standard Retard posted:

So I'm building a tiny home office PC for my parents, they don't do anything resource intensive and basically need a barebones internet browser / MS Office runner build. The complication is that they want an optical drive because They're Parents.

I've never done an ITX build before but here's what I put together, any suggestions on how to make it better? Budget is of no concern but clearly I'm gonna try to spend as little money as possible:

Case I'm looking at is a Silverstone FTZ01 for the horizontal / vertical form factor but... Is there an internal slot load DVD drive that will fit in that case? I'm kind of stuck on this point, my search results kick out a lot of external USB drives.

Otherwise maybe the Coolermaster 130 elite with a regular ol' commodity DVD writer and just explain that it's gonna be a bit blocky.

This was in related items and seems to fit based on the first question/answer thing on amazon:
https://smile.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-Internal-Writer-GS40N/dp/B00Z7HPQ50/

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Is the new generation of intel processors much cooler than last generation's? It seems like there's only about a 8% difference between the i7-6700 and the i7-7700. Also, does the 7x00 series require a new motherboard chipset or something or could I just swap from a 6500 to a 7700 (if it's worth it).

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

jokes posted:

Is the new generation of intel processors much cooler than last generation's? It seems like there's only about a 8% difference between the i7-6700 and the i7-7700. Also, does the 7x00 series require a new motherboard chipset or something or could I just swap from a 6500 to a 7700 (if it's worth it).

The 7000-series can be used in Z170 motherboards, but it's not advisable because all Z170s require a BIOS update to do so (and most aren't pre-loaded with them), and the 7000-series CPUs won't POST without said update, so it becomes a case of buying a board that allows you to flash from USB without a CPU present, or finding a friend who will loan you their Skylake CPU so you can flash your board. The Z270s have their own quirk in that you definitely want to use Win 10 with them, as Win 7 driver support for the Z270 isn't official or 100% stable.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Feb 14, 2017

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Look at the Pentium series of chips instead of the i3. And go ahead and get the external DVD drive; there's nothing wrong with the idea.

And don't forget to compare your final price against refurbished units from Dell or Lenovo to see if you can get a better deal.

jokes posted:

Kaby Lake should fit just fine into your current Skylake motherboard, since Skylake and Kaby Lake are both designed for LGA1151 socket. Can't answer your question about thermals, though I suspect that KL is slightly cooler than SL.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Grundulum posted:

Look at the Pentium series of chips instead of the i3. And go ahead and get the external DVD drive; there's nothing wrong with the idea.

And don't forget to compare your final price against refurbished units from Dell or Lenovo to see if you can get a better deal.

Pentium chips are same socket?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

There have been Pentium chips with pretty much every new generation of Intel processors. They're just the chips below the Core models, and they're a lot cheaper. Take a look at PC Part Picker with Compatibility Checking enabled, and choose your motherboard first.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

Some of em. It's a bit confusing now because the Pentium brand is also applied to some different stuff, like the chips in the lowest-end NUCs. But yeah there are Pentium chips for LGA1151 and I would agree you should look at them in this case.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Any thoughts on SFX/SFX-L supplies? From what I've read, most people seem to suggest the corsair SF series (which is SFX, not SFX-L), is pretty much straight up better than the silverstone SFX-L units. I see a lot of complaints about the fans on the silverstone units.

I have typically bought seasonic units in the past, but they seem behind the curve when it comes to SFX.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

My SF450 has been fantastic FWIW.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
You could ask in The SFF and Mini-ITX thread.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The SF450/SF600 by Corsair are supposed to be really great, simply because their fans rarely engage (only spin up under load)so it keeps everything real real quiet. Other than that, they're just a no-problem PSU that you don't think about which is appropriate for a PSU.

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm thinking of upgrading my GTX 660 and putting it into a second budget gaming PC. What would be the best CPU to plop in an LGA 1150 motherboard I've got lying around? Intel Pentium G3258?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Filthy Monkey posted:

Any thoughts on SFX/SFX-L supplies? From what I've read, most people seem to suggest the corsair SF series (which is SFX, not SFX-L), is pretty much straight up better than the silverstone SFX-L units. I see a lot of complaints about the fans on the silverstone units.

I have typically bought seasonic units in the past, but they seem behind the curve when it comes to SFX.

The Corsairs are much newer designs, so you should probably go with them.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Get a G4500, G4520 or G4560. They perform almost as well as the 6100 at half the price. They will require you to update the BIOS on the motherboard but that can be done with a USB stick.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

ultrabay2000 posted:

I think you're fine. The lanes could be used by random things on the motherboard like ethernet, usb3.0, SATA ect ect, but I think the worse case is some devices might not get as many lanes as they could have ideally and should still work.

That's what I'm worrying about, if the NVMe drive won't go at full PCIE x4 then it's pointless to buy it. Another thing is CPU being the bottleneck with NVMe drives, I can't really find a good info about that at all, though.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

lordfrikk posted:

That's what I'm worrying about, if the NVMe drive won't go at full PCIE x4 then it's pointless to buy it. Another thing is CPU being the bottleneck with NVMe drives, I can't really find a good info about that at all, though.

The 4 lanes for the NVM come from the 8 the PCH provides, so unless you have other things taking PCI-E lanes it will run at x4 in a x4 slot.
The CPU provides 16 PCI-E lanes for the GPU which should be put in the x16 slot to run at x16 speeds.

B-boards are tight fits in this regard, and it's why the thread usually doesn't recommend them. Alongside an inability to get the free performance of overclocking, they often work out at worse performance:$ than an entry level z-board.

e: the whole point of PCI-E lanes is a lane=a lane and does so whether they are in use or not. In this way, there won't be contention between devices and each should work at full speed [AGP was the stop-gap for this to get GPUs off the PCI interface]. A 4x slot should reasonably equal a 4x slot, so it would work at whatever speed it's meant to.

Khablam fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Feb 14, 2017

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I'm looking to upgrade my video card and am looking for suggestions. I'd like to be able to play some newer games (Dishonored 2, Deus Ex MD, etc) - they don't necessarily have to have all the sugary anti-aliasing bells and whistles, but they should be able to run well at 2560 x 1440. I don't want to spend more than $400 (CAD) although closer to the $300 side would be preferable.

My main concern is that my motherboard is also fairly long in the tooth and I don't know what's compatible with what anymore.

I usually buy from Canada Computers and this is what's available:

http://www.canadacomputers.com/sear....00+-+%24399.99

Here are my current specs:

http://www.vaughn-s.net/ANON-PC.html

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Seventh Arrow posted:

I'm looking to upgrade my video card and am looking for suggestions. I'd like to be able to play some newer games (Dishonored 2, Deus Ex MD, etc) - they don't necessarily have to have all the sugary anti-aliasing bells and whistles, but they should be able to run well at 2560 x 1440. I don't want to spend more than $400 (CAD) although closer to the $300 side would be preferable.

My main concern is that my motherboard is also fairly long in the tooth and I don't know what's compatible with what anymore.

I usually buy from Canada Computers and this is what's available:

http://www.canadacomputers.com/sear....00+-+%24399.99

Here are my current specs:

http://www.vaughn-s.net/ANON-PC.html

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

A GTX 1060 6GB or RX 480 8GB would probably suit you well. A 1070 might be better for your resolution but I didn't see one available at CC.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Thank you, much appreciated!

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

For Blood, Comic Mischief, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Intense Violence.

Online Interactions Not Rated.
Usage: Gaming at 1440p
Budget: $1,000-1,500 USD
Software: Creative Suite applications, Battlefield 1, For Honor, WoW, etc.

Building a gaming PC and open to suggestions across the board, but particularly unsure if my mobo and PSU are smart choices or if there's a better/cheaper option for either slot. I'm sitting right around the middle of the budget window, but I'm certainly down for whittling away at that price if I can.

Looking at these parts right now: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nZD3jc

CPU: i5-6600K
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Mobo: Asus Z170-P
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V - 2x 8GB
Boot drive: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
GPU: Asus Strix 1070
Case: Fractal Design Define S
PSU: Seasonic X650

Thanks!

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
So I think I'm going to take a shot at upgrading my graphics card for the first time instead of buying a new machine. I currently have an Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti from EVGA, and I'm thinking about upgrading to a GTX 1050 Ti, from EVGA as well. I found a bunch of variants on newegg and I'm going to ask a couple of total dumbass questions because playing with hardware makes me really twitchy. :shobon:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16814487290
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16814487294

1. Does physical size matter at all for this card beyond it fitting inside my tower? My 560Ti is about the same size as the bottom linked card. Does the smaller variant have any downsides?
2. If I don't really care about getting the absolute tip-top of graphical performance, is there any reason for me to buy anything except the cheapest variant?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

So I think I'm going to take a shot at upgrading my graphics card for the first time instead of buying a new machine. I currently have an Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti from EVGA, and I'm thinking about upgrading to a GTX 1050 Ti, from EVGA as well. I found a bunch of variants on newegg and I'm going to ask a couple of total dumbass questions because playing with hardware makes me really twitchy. :shobon:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16814487290
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16814487294

1. Does physical size matter at all for this card beyond it fitting inside my tower? My 560Ti is about the same size as the bottom linked card. Does the smaller variant have any downsides?
2. If I don't really care about getting the absolute tip-top of graphical performance, is there any reason for me to buy anything except the cheapest variant?

Either is fine, but I'd probably go with the smaller one. Neither require additional PCIE power plugs, and a 1050Ti is not a hot running card. I don't think the single fan would be loud under any type of normal circumstance and if you decide to change cases later it would fit in almost any case. Any factory overclock can also be matched manually.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Newegg sale -$20 on select RX 460 w/V-day promotional code:AMDLOVEU214
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...6a5aed1e7d234f6

At least someone loves me today :smith:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
So my Corsair AX 750 sounds like it's giving up the ghost after less than a year (fan squeaks constantly, maybe the bearings are going). Have any comparable, silent units come out in the last year, or should I just get the same Corsair model?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Oxxidation posted:

So my Corsair AX 750 sounds like it's giving up the ghost after less than a year (fan squeaks constantly, maybe the bearings are going). Have any comparable, silent units come out in the last year, or should I just get the same Corsair model?

I'd make use of the 7 year warranty. It's probably just a bad fan and not representative of the quality of the series of power supplies in general.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Rexxed posted:

I'd make use of the 7 year warranty. It's probably just a bad fan and not representative of the quality of the series of power supplies in general.

I don't have the original packaging anymore so I think I screwed myself on that front.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

I don't have the original packaging anymore so I think I screwed myself on that front.
Depending what store you bought it from and how nice they are, they might not do anything for you without packaging. But going through a retailer for an RMA is pretty much always way slower anyway. If you contact Corsair directly to see about getting warranty service direct from them, they probably won't care at all about packaging. Normally they'd ask you to ship it to them and you pay for shipping and you take care of packaging, but you just gotta package it in a way that it doesn't get damaged in shipping. Generally they don't care if it is in the original packaging. Then they'd pay the shipping cost to send you a replacement or possibly repair it and send it back.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I'll give that a try, then. Better than dropping $200 on a new model.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
Are there any HDDs that are worth getting over others? I'm mostly interested in storing some backups and large serialized data sets so I kind of care about read speed but not necessarily random access or heavy read/write.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

So my Corsair AX 750

So, one other thing - after examining the casing I realized that I stupidly got my PSU models mixed up. The PSU in my machine is an EVGA Supernova 750 G1.

I did some poking around online and this model's apparently got a pretty lovely rep compared to the G2. Is that just enthusiast nitpicking, or would it be better to skip the RMA and replace the power supply entirely?

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Feb 16, 2017

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

So, one other thing - after examining the casing I realized that I stupidly got my PSU models mixed up. The PSU in my machine is an EVGA Supernova 750 G1.

I did some poking around online and this model's apparently got a pretty lovely rep compared to the G2. Is that just enthusiast nitpicking, or would it be better to skip the RMA and replace the power supply entirely?
G1s arent bad at all, they're just significantly less nice than G2 and generally not much cheaper. An EVGA G1 series PSU isn't something you should be worried about having or feel dumb about buying, it's just not the optimal choice to get the best bang for your buck. So if you'd rather wait for a bit of shipping time than pay for a new PSU, I'd feel fine about RMAing it.

edit: here is a review of a 650G1 (close enough I guess, pretty sure it's the same design) by a super nerdy super demanding PSU reviewer guy, he concludes that they are fine just not the best option out there. Just skip to the summary if you don't care about the in depth testing. http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&file=print&reid=442

Col.Kiwi fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Feb 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Got a nano-s in for my new build today. Seems like it is going to be a nice case. I do like the sound insulation, and the options for mounting cooling. I plan to cram it full of noctua goodness. Still waiting on the two parts I had to get from newegg though, which has apparently shipped my motherboard and nvme ssd via pack mule.

The nano-s isn't a particularly small case though. It is only barely smaller than my old case, the venerable mATX tj08b-e. That case's features don't stand up now, but its design was ahead of its time. I plan to stuff a nh-d15 in the nano-s, so lets see how it goes.

I am going with a corsair sf600 with the silverstone adapter to allow the video card more room to breathe.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Feb 16, 2017