Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

IBO is dark, but you're seriously asking a franchise that had Ideon and fafnir if they can handle dark?

In both cases those worked by doing fairly heavy subversions of the storyline, which is what I mean by their A-game writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
If they include Gundam 00 they can have GN particle bullshit heal Mika.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
00 could do the armed intervention thing with Tekkadan and stuff. I could already see it.

Dougram would make for nice series synergy too.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
You know, I have been generally happy about Gaelio still being alive but now I had the realization that I am going have to watch him die again.

Man, I really wonder about the end game of this show. I mean the mobile armor stuff has to come into play again right?

KoB
May 1, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Oh, execution is easy, it just runs into the usual Zeoyrmer/Eva-01 problem of "why are we letting them do this again?" Which isn't plot-crippling by any means but usually means it needs their A-game writing to work.

They could easily change the story to be all the super robots are waiting at the ambush point, Iok pulls it toward that city, Mika arrives to save Ride and berserks it to death there.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Snooze Cruise posted:

You know, I have been generally happy about Gaelio still being alive but now I had the realization that I am going have to watch him die again.

Maybe not Gaelio could win.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think it would be hilarious if IBO debuts in the same SRW as G-Reco.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Raxivace posted:

I think it would be hilarious if IBO debuts in the same SRW as G-Reco.

Mask: My people were EATEN!
Mika: Huh. Did they taste good?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I also should note that the death preview thing still kinda held true for this episode. Vidar is dead. Gaelio has shed that identity and embraced his old one.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

You know I just realised that this is probably the only sunrise show in which I enjoyed the second season more than the first.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

Mask: My people were EATEN!
Mika: Huh. Did they taste good?
:allears:

Monaghan posted:

You know I just realised that this is probably the only sunrise show in which I enjoyed the second season more than the first.
I've been kind of feeling that way too, though I wonder how much of that, for me at least, is because we're finally getting some of the payoffs, plot developments, characterization etc. that I thought we would be getting at the end of season 1.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom

Lestaki posted:

Except this is the first time Gaelio stopped talking about honour and pride. He sacrificed his pride when he admitted he couldn't beat McGillis alone and plugged himself into Einborg. Gaelio is fighting for the human values and emotions McGillis regards as stupid and pointless. And besides, I'd say that people who launch a violent coup d'etat don't get to complain about their enemies escalating situations.

Kudelia is our only hero but she hasn't done anything all season which is quite unfortunate.

My counterpoints: why give heroic speech about letting him get in Bael and defeating him there instead of picking up the dude in your giant robot hand and telling his organization 'nope you lose, y'all under arrest'. If I'm going to be charitable, that's because he was still hesitating due to personal doubt, but the other option is that his attachment to honor still lingers such that he'll give up the strategic objective for personal satisfaction.

"Human values" dressings aside, I see this as his chance for a symbolic payback for Gaelio and Ein's betrayal by McGillis - he may go about it looking composed and grim but it's certainly revenge.

Besides that, McGillis's faction has attacked a bunch of soldiers, is holding the old leaders hostage, and has stolen a fancy superweapon. These are crimes, and they are villains. However, that doesn't mean I am McGillis, nor does it mean that I shouldn't be bothered by Gaelio going on broadcast saying "I AM NOBLEMAN. I WILL FIGHT THE TRAITOR" to further incite the ideological war. He claims he knows some empathy for Mika and co. but he also only wants to suppress them with power, and we already know that Tekkadan pushes back.

edit: unless you guys got confused by me saying "I agree with McGillis" in which case I meant the part where he tells Gaelio "hey you keep putting your trust in the wrong people" about Rustal, hence naive fucker

booksnake fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Feb 15, 2017

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Monaghan posted:

Yeah, it's definitely avoided the second season curse. The only plotline I feel they've really dropped is Kudelia's, since she's so uninvolved with Tekkadan now.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Mordja posted:

Yeah, it's definitely avoided the second season curse. The only plotline I feel they've really dropped is Kudelia's, since she's so uninvolved with Tekkadan now.

Now seems like an excellent time for her to come back, seeing as this episode basically drove home that we've lost our main characters and it's up to everyone else to fix their poo poo. Seriously, I've said it before, but the off-hand way this episode framed Tekkadan was really chilling. Mika in particular was basically just the villain's big scary attack dog.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Darth Walrus posted:

Mika in particular was basically just the villain's big scary attack dog.
It makes a nice double pun on Lupus Rex being both a kingly reference and, well, a reference to dogs.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I wonder how much Galeio has actually changed though. When he fled from Bael and Barbatos his comment to Mika still came off as though he did not see him as the species as him.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Raxivace posted:

It makes a nice double pun on Lupus Rex being both a kingly reference and, well, a reference to dogs.

King of the Wolves is still a dog.

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009

booksnake posted:

My counterpoints: why give heroic speech about letting him get in Bael and defeating him there instead of picking up the dude in your giant robot hand and telling his organization 'nope you lose, y'all under arrest'. If I'm going to be charitable, that's because he was still hesitating due to personal doubt, but the other option is that his attachment to honor still lingers such that he'll give up the strategic objective for personal satisfaction.

"Human values" dressings aside, I see this as his chance for a symbolic payback for Gaelio and Ein's betrayal by McGillis - he may go about it looking composed and grim but it's certainly revenge.

Besides that, McGillis's faction has attacked a bunch of soldiers, is holding the old leaders hostage, and has stolen a fancy superweapon. These are crimes, and they are villains. However, that doesn't mean I am McGillis, nor does it mean that I shouldn't be bothered by Gaelio going on broadcast saying "I AM NOBLEMAN. I WILL FIGHT THE TRAITOR" to further incite the ideological war. He claims he knows some empathy for Mika and co. but he also only wants to suppress them with power, and we already know that Tekkadan pushes back.

edit: unless you guys got confused by me saying "I agree with McGillis" in which case I meant the part where he tells Gaelio "hey you keep putting your trust in the wrong people" about Rustal, hence naive fucker

I agree with most of the first half of this, I just don't think it's a bad thing in any way. Given Tekkadan spends most of this show exacting bloody vengeance on anyone who wrongs them, I don't see why Gaelio isn't entitled to a little bloody vengeance himself after McGillis betrayed him. We already established Gaelio wasn't proceeding about said revenge in the most ~efficient~ possible way when he de facto revealed his survival to McGillis with a sick burn without doing anything. But that's about personal satisfaction, not honour in so many words. He doesn't just want to defeat McGillis at this point, he wants to deny his worldview completely. For that, it's necessary to demonstrate that Bael isn't invincible.

McGillis is doing much the same poo poo when he let Gaelio go rather than press the two vs one home. Mika in that scene is surrounded by people doing stuff he doesn't understand, and that's okay, because not everyone is Mika.

Gaelio's broadcast being portrayed as objectionable is ludicrous in the extreme. Gaelio is using his broadcast to rally his base at a time when they feel like everything is lost, which he's more than entitled to do. Rustal is already bent on destroying McGillis and vice-versa. There's no grounds for negotiation between the leader of a coup d'etat and the defender of the old order.

Gaelio trusting Rustal is probably dumb, and he even admits as much himself! But he needs an army to defeat McGillis now, and Rustal is the only game in town. Compare Orga, who has decided to trust someone he really shouldn't trust because he needs the support of someone bigger than himself.

Hunt11 posted:

I wonder how much Galeio has actually changed though. When he fled from Bael and Barbatos his comment to Mika still came off as though he did not see him as the species as him.

Gaelio honestly speaks that way to everyone imo. He is formal and awkward at all times.

Lestaki fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Feb 15, 2017

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Mika's entire gimmick has always been "hey, Orga, who should I kill next?" He's never not been the villain's big scary attack dog, it's just that up until this point, Orga's naivety hadn't quite gotten them into a situation where Tekkadan were more likely to end up in the wrong than the right.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Lestaki posted:

I agree with most of the first half of this, I just don't think it's a bad thing in any way. Given Tekkadan spends most of this show exacting bloody vengeance on anyone who wrongs them, I don't see why Gaelio isn't entitled to a little bloody vengeance himself after McGillis betrayed him. We already established Gaelio wasn't proceeding about said revenge in the most ~efficient~ possible way when he de facto revealed his survival to McGillis with a sick burn without doing anything. But that's about personal satisfaction, not honour in so many words. He doesn't just want to defeat McGillis at this point, he wants to deny his worldview completely. For that, it's necessary to demonstrate that Bael isn't invincible.

This is a really good point and puts into worlds succinctly a point I was trying to make when I was discussing the ep with a friend of mine and he couldn't understand why Gaelio didn't just splatter McGillis immediately. Gaelio immediately capturing/killing McGillis while McGillis was weak simply validates McGillis's worldview that the only thing that matters is raw power. To allow McGillis to attain what he believes is the ultimate power in the world and defeat him anyway is the only way for Gaelio to completely repudiate McGillis's worldview.

The symbolism of Mika and McGillis both embracing individual power in their own ways while Gaelio admits his weakness and relies on someone else's help is pretty nice.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
If we're being a little more kind, gally wanted to know why he was killed and when he found out why, mika came in shortly after that. It is not too big of a stretch why mcgillis wasn't killed immediately.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Had a chat with a friend who was late on watching this week's ep and it struck us that the final conflict that IBO is setting up here is ridiculously grim. The only two factions that matter anymore are effectively a coalition of damaged, angry children who believe that raw power is the only thing that matters in the world and a faction that represents "legitimate" authority and the status quo, a status quo that condones things like mass human slavery, the slaughter of protesters, and the mass production of child soldiers. The only third way we've had presented to us, Kudelia, has spent the entire second season on the sideline to the point where it would be pretty implausible for her to suddenly roll in and fix everything unless the final outcome of the coming battle involves the two sides pretty much destroying themselves on each other.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kanos posted:

Had a chat with a friend who was late on watching this week's ep and it struck us that the final conflict that IBO is setting up here is ridiculously grim. The only two factions that matter anymore are effectively a coalition of damaged, angry children who believe that raw power is the only thing that matters in the world and a faction that represents "legitimate" authority and the status quo, a status quo that condones things like mass human slavery, the slaughter of protesters, and the mass production of child soldiers. The only third way we've had presented to us, Kudelia, has spent the entire second season on the sideline to the point where it would be pretty implausible for her to suddenly roll in and fix everything unless the final outcome of the coming battle involves the two sides pretty much destroying themselves on each other.

Honestly, it's a pretty safe bet that both factions are going to gently caress themselves sideways by the end and leave Kudelia on top by the simple fact she's not being very dead in one of a dozen different ways.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Kudelia shows up at the end with a massive army of jury-rigged industrial MS. She's spent the entire season meeting with unions and guilds and is now the leader of a great Worker's Revolution that crushes Gjallarhorn and Tekkadan and creates a thousand year Marxist paradise.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I like how they are setting up McGillis' belief in symbols and power to backfire. Yeah, he finally has Bael, but he is so obsessive with Mika's power he has missed that Mika has really started to symbolize a dragon and Gaelio is starting to look more and more like the "true knight" of the equation.

Like I am not really sure who is coming to come out top here, but the narrative is about to be taken out of McGillis' hands especially when the Maiden of Revolution comes into play.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Meanwhile, in another timeline...

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

AradoBalanga posted:

I don't want to know what happened to Baby Mario. :smith:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

AradoBalanga posted:

I'd play the hell out of that game. It'd be an improvement over the original, Mika wouldn't cry when he gets kidnapped. He'd just beat the kidnapper to death and come back, maybe with one less functional limb or two, but he wouldn't cry about it! Apart from blood, he does cry blood quite a bit.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Lemon-Lime posted:

Mika's entire gimmick has always been "hey, Orga, who should I kill next?" He's never not been the villain's big scary attack dog, it's just that up until this point, Orga's naivety hadn't quite gotten them into a situation where Tekkadan were more likely to end up in the wrong than the right.

To be fair, during the Turbines/JPT conflict they did try to stay out of this and look what that got them, the total annihilation of every Turbine capable, including Azee. If Orga got himself exiled for Naze's sake the situation will be less desperate because as McGillis said, Jasley wasn't a threat and they were bound to but cut loose by Teiwaz inevitably and they chose the worst outcome you could think of..

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I think the part of next week's episode I'm most hyped for is Julietta's chat with Gaelio. The preview confirmed it'd be happening, and it'll be happening at the exact point where she needs it to happen in order to avoid making a terrible mistake. It'll be interesting to see what he comes up with as a suggestion regarding her desire to keep up with Mikazuki - either he'll reiterate the Rustal line of 'strength isn't the only measure of a soldier's quality', or he'll have some idea about how to help her, either with a relatively safe A-V derivative or simply with the opportunity to train against someone as good as Mika was in full anti-MA mode.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

:gonk:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So, think this is where McGillis starts waking up the Mobile Armours? Don't seem like many other ways to give himself the edge he needs right now.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
You know, all throughout this series, there have been a multitude of contradictions and inconsistencies. Like Tekkadan's insane loyalty to Orga, Orga's fidelity to McGillis, and McGillis' absurd belief that he could short cut straight into a reformation of Gjallarhorn. This episode finally reconciled all these contradictions, simply by acknowledging their existence.

Though we may have been placing too much faith in McGillis, he did after all almost get merked by Tekkadan in episode 7 this season.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I'm fairly sure the only happy ending we're getting now is Kudelia picking up the pieces after everyone else has blown each other to bits. :unsmith:

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
rip vidar :negative:

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

So, did Almira stab with enough strength to puncture McGillis' hand or did he force his hand down on the blade for emphasis?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Argas posted:

So, did Almira stab with enough strength to puncture McGillis' hand or did he force his hand down on the blade for emphasis?

Well, she was trying to puncture something even tougher (the human upper body is not an easy thing to put a knife through), so I'd guess she put quite a bit of force into it.

Really ties into the show's themes of just how dangerous children can be. :smith:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

.Clash posted:

rip vidar :negative:

I loving hate the new look. Never really was a fan of kimaris design.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

I'm fairly sure the only happy ending we're getting now is Kudelia picking up the pieces after everyone else has blown each other to bits. :unsmith:

While a high death toll seems inevitable, it seems pretty clear that there's more twists to come. The final battle kicking off with six episodes to go? Pull the other one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth Walrus posted:

While a high death toll seems inevitable, it seems pretty clear that there's more twists to come. The final battle kicking off with six episodes to go? Pull the other one.

It's entirely possible for a series to cap on one long run of continuous episodes for a massive prolonged battle.

Darth Walrus posted:

So, think this is where McGillis starts waking up the Mobile Armours? Don't seem like many other ways to give himself the edge he needs right now.

This really isn't going to be a thing. We've seen what Mobile Armors are, and they're not some weapon to be commanded because they're independent AI units with a mandate of Kill All Humans. More importantly, they'd be borderline useless. Everyone uses Nano-laminate armor, so their main weapon's useless against everything they might be thrown against, and a fleet's worth of shipboard cannons would just turn even multiple Hashmals to scrap.

The only reason the one on Mars was a big deal was because they needed to stop it right the hell now with an unprepared team before it ran riot in Chryse.

• Locked thread