Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Pleads posted:

First goalies now refs!!!

I went to mid-Missouri drop-in on Saturday night and got to hear some opinions on refugees and Mexicans!!!

was this your first major trip outside of KC/STL and the golden city because, duh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

xzzy posted:

Don't apologize, send him to the box for sassing you. If he keeps shouting toss him from the game.

You put on those stripes for a reason, remember. To make players fear you.

Any ref that does it for that reason is an rear end in a top hat and shouldn't be doing it imo

I got two handed by a 16 year old when I was lining on Sunday night tho, that was fun. It was even more fun when he started chasing the referee around because he was so mad about getting kicked out

shyduck posted:

Do you call icing after 11pm?

gently caress no

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

The ref that called us pussies in the handshake line last week is getting a mandatory "vacation."

:lol:

I mostly do Minor hockey so I'd be at risk of jail time if I said something that stupid

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score

shyduck posted:

Do you call icing after 11pm?

Last night we had a 110ppm game. We were losing 6-1, then scored with 5 min left to make it 6-2. The other team then called a time out. gently caress that poo poo. It's 1215am and we all just want to get out of there. On the face off I complain to their ringer lined up next to me. He says to gently caress off and play the game. I reply that he's just mad that he got cut from Jr B 10 years ago and take it out on bad beer leaguers. I knock him down and play things out. Once I'm off the ice, he checks someone into the boards and then starts throwing punches. He has the most pims in our div and seems like most are late in the 3rd.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Any team that calls a timeout when they're up four goals should be forced to forfeit the game on the spot.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

xzzy posted:

Any team that calls a timeout when they're up four goals should be forced to forfeit the game on the spot.

Agreed, what a loving dick move.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
I was doing a game the other night that was 12-1 after the second and the home (winning) coach still wanted to play the full 20 minute third period in a bantam game (this is u15). He eventually relented and agreed to 15 minutes 'but no less because my guys need to skate'

:cripes:

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I coach a pretty good 10U team and in things like preseason placement and weird tournament matches I've never had an opposing coach agree that we should cut a blowout game short.

"It's good for my kids to learn!" Sure, but not when they're not good enough to even touch the puck.

Especially in things like pre-season placement matches there should be a mercy rule and after that we should be able to have the kids throw sticks in the middle, make two teams and just play for fun. It's all so stupid.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
we should have done that in our last game when we were down 10-2 at the end of the 2nd

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

bewbies posted:

was this your first major trip outside of KC/STL and the golden city because, duh

I've played a couple league games in Jeff City but it's apparently a different beast for the drop-in session :trumppop:

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Chemmy posted:

I coach a pretty good 10U team and in things like preseason placement and weird tournament matches I've never had an opposing coach agree that we should cut a blowout game short.

"It's good for my kids to learn!" Sure, but not when they're not good enough to even touch the puck.

Especially in things like pre-season placement matches there should be a mercy rule and after that we should be able to have the kids throw sticks in the middle, make two teams and just play for fun. It's all so stupid.

This is what's done in u8 / initiation but after that there's no mercy rule in Minor hockey other than sometimes in certain tourneys. It's dumb as hell.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Chemmy posted:

I quit officiating because during a mite preseason game, the winning team ended up winning 32-0. I called an intentional offsides to give the losing team a face off in their offensive zone to hope they could get a shot on goal. I was yelled at by the winning coach and their parents for doing it.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Tank44 posted:

On the face off I complain to their ringer lined up next to me. He says to gently caress off and play the game. I reply that he's just mad that he got cut from Jr B 10 years ago and take it out on bad beer leaguers. I knock him down and play things out. Once I'm off the ice, he checks someone into the boards and then starts throwing punches. He has the most pims in our div and seems like most are late in the 3rd.
Yikes. Ringers can be a sensitive bunch.

My favorite ringers are the ones that are still wearing all of their team-issued gear from whatever Junior or other tier 1 program they last felt any sort of glory in. The team we played the other night has a few of these guys, and these are players still capable of playing at a A/B level without breaking a sweat, yet they're playing C. Also, the guy who runs that team pays the rink fees for these players because I guess he didn't get enough attention as a kid and now he's a business owner, but that's another story. This guy buys men's league championships.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

sellouts posted:

I quit officiating because during a mite preseason game, the winning team ended up winning 32-0. I called an intentional offsides to give the losing team a face off in their offensive zone to hope they could get a shot on goal. I was yelled at by the winning coach and their parents for doing it.

You should try it again. You don't get nearly as many offensive things said to you when you're an adult and coaches don't think they can bully you.

My first year as a ref (I was 15) I had a coach stand on the boards Don Cherry style and call me a "retarded human being" because I didn't impose a strict line change procedure on the other team. This was in a novice house league (u9) game.

We found out during the suspension process that he had been quite literally run out of his previous town for being such a terrible shitler. I think he got a lifetime ban.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Tank44 posted:

Last night we had a 110ppm game. We were losing 6-1, then scored with 5 min left to make it 6-2. The other team then called a time out. gently caress that poo poo. It's 1215am and we all just want to get out of there. On the face off I complain to their ringer lined up next to me. He says to gently caress off and play the game. I reply that he's just mad that he got cut from Jr B 10 years ago and take it out on bad beer leaguers. I knock him down and play things out. Once I'm off the ice, he checks someone into the boards and then starts throwing punches. He has the most pims in our div and seems like most are late in the 3rd.

hah I just went and looked up the boxscore from this - that dude seems... fun.

All in the 3rd period:
(Body Check - 2 Min) 7:14
(Roughing - 2 Min) 4:10
(Roughing - 2 Min) 4:10
(Ejection - 3 Penalties) 4:10

Somebody got a lil salty.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

How did you get a ref to write you an apology? That seems silly.

You should actually steal his bottle next time.
We lost the game by a goal and the other team scored on the penalty. We rate refs after each game, and upon getting my bad rating the head of the ref pool contacted me. About a week later I had an email that contained an apology letter from the ref. I laughed for a while. When we won the championship we have pictures of the framed letter next to the cup.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Tank44 posted:

Kalenn Istarion posted:

My first year as a ref (I was 15) I had a coach stand on the boards Don Cherry style and call me a "retarded human being" because I didn't impose a strict line change procedure on the other team. This was in a novice house league (u9) game.

We found out during the suspension process that he had been quite literally run out of his previous town for being such a terrible shitler. I think he got a lifetime ban.

I'm not even good enough to play Rat Hockey yet, but I'm really not looking forward to dealing with macho bullshit antics like this once I get into higher leagues. If I join a novice league, I'm leaning towards the Chicago Gay Hockey Association. I'm guessing they're a bit less likely to call me a "retarded human being".

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I'm not even good enough to play Rat Hockey yet, but I'm really not looking forward to dealing with macho bullshit antics like this once I get into higher leagues. If I join a novice league, I'm leaning towards the Chicago Gay Hockey Association. I'm guessing they're a bit less likely to call me a "retarded human being".

In my experience the biggest assholes are in the C leagues. When I watch beginners they seem to be happy just play hockey, the next step up you got guys who are mad they cant make it higher and feel the need to prove something to someone, A/B people have either been there or are usually good enough to know when and when not to get mad.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Kalenn Istarion posted:

You should try it again. You don't get nearly as many offensive things said to you when you're an adult and coaches don't think they can bully you.

I was 27 at the time. It's just not worth it to me and frankly my real job has me too busy.

I'd rather just chirp them and be friends with them.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

For 3 years the team of LGBTQ players (and their allies) in our chill af league was the chippiest bunch of miserable fucks. Awful. They came in and just had the worst attitude. Then they magically chilled out and now it's usually a really good game.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Each rink probably has its own character but based on the rinks I've been at, you really won't hear any of that on the ice. If it does happen it's super rare and usually the offender gets poo poo on for it.

You're infinitely more likely to get slashed by someone pretending it's the NHL than hear epithets.

And don't worry there's no higher league to worry about. In three years you'll still feel outclassed in the lowest division. :v:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Really, you don't have bumpkins who drop hard -got?

We even have them out here in LA.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Haven't heard it once!

Lots of "gently caress-offs" though, maybe people around me just have poor vocabulary. Or went to the Jonathan Toews school of chirps.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

sellouts posted:

I was 27 at the time. It's just not worth it to me and frankly my real job has me too busy.

I'd rather just chirp them and be friends with them.

That sucks on the complaint. Minor hockey breeds really hosed up attitudes in people. I wish more people had your attitude.

I just finished doing a Midget A playoff game and while I expect some heightened emotions it was just a miserable slog because the coach of the visiting team is a baby back bitch and complains about literally every call.

He complained that my linesman didn't call an offside quickly when the liney delayed calling it to give his own player a chance to clear

sellouts posted:

That's still a depressingly common slur in Minor hockey in Canada, although don't hear it much in adult hockey here, and there's this weird attitude of filthy language being ok that seems to breed in Minor hockey dressing rooms. Recently overheard a captain trying to pump up his team by saying something to the effect of :nws:"gently caress guys lets loving gently caress them up and loving skate loving hard for gently caress sake, don't be loving pussies out there"

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
Huh I didn't know Bruce Boudreau coached minors.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

sellouts posted:

Most definitely have them in Tennessee.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

God damnit

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Holy poo poo you almost New England/Chicago/Clevelanded them.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Whoever took that late penalty, wowza...

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

I had to call 60 minutes in penalties last night

Capped off with kicking a kid out of his next two playoff games because he slew footed someone

:cripes:

The most in one game this year where I live was 225 minutes for a bench clearing brawl (someone else, not me)

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

My favourite thing is also when players after getting a penalty think that telling me I'm a terrible person will make me want to penalize them less

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Ya know, sometimes we just need to let you know how far you are up the piece-of-poo poo scale for giving us that penalty that totally wasn't a penalty and is total bullshit, also your mom is fat. It's therapeutic.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

That's why I ref, to keep my sense of self worth from getting over inflated

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sometimes I try to crack jokes with refs and they give me the look of death. I think they're so used to getting poo poo on they don't know what to do when a skater tries to chum it up.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Kalenn Istarion posted:

My favourite thing is also when players after getting a penalty think that telling me I'm a terrible person will make me want to penalize them less

I'm newish to hockey, only played for about 2 years now but I never got the idea behind saying the ref is a piece of poo poo. I think in the 40 league games with a ref I played now I have called out "oh come on" and "poo poo call" and that's it. It was a knee jerk reaction to obviously lovely calls. Oh and one time I gave a ref the stink eye while getting up from a non-call trip.

We have a guy on our team who just bitched non-stop to the refs. I swear I'm not exaggerating. Last year I swear any time the ref made a remotely questionable call or non-call he would ceaselessly complain any time he could until the next one. Never seen anything like it. He received multiple "shut the gently caress up penalties" because of it (unsportsmanlike conduct?).

This year he has got a lot better. Just yells at a call or non-call and complains for a bit to our team. Still annoying but man, last year it was just a ceaseless torrent of yelling over poo poo like an offside that happened 10 minutes ago.

It's actually pretty funny because all the refs know him so before games we'll come out before him and go to the refs "hey, he's playing tonight, just want to apologize ahead of time." Refs just laugh and roll their eyes, I guess they appreciate the fact we know he's balls crazy when it comes to officiating.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home
I find it is in your best interest to be positive or indifferent to the refs. Our league now has 1 out of the rotation of 6 or so refs that actually likes our team and actively makes calls/non calls in our favor if he can get away with it. The only time we really get pissed at the refs if the game starts to get rough and they do nothing until it reaches overload and then goes Hiroshima with penalties. What do you expect to happen if you let everything go unchecked until there is a wrestling match in the corners, or some nasty open ice hit as retaliation for a slew foot or something like that?

That would be my only ref question really. Why call nothing until it boils over and then hand out misconducts like they're Halloween candy?

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Pleads posted:

Whoever took that late penalty, wowza...

It was sort of worth it, d partner got beat on a 2-2 and the guy was alone in front so he hooked the gently caress out of him to stop the scoring chance.

Our goaltending is very weak this year, their game winner was a so/so shot. Still frustrating as hell.

D C fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 16, 2017

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

xzzy posted:

Sometimes I try to crack jokes with refs and they give me the look of death. I think they're so used to getting poo poo on they don't know what to do when a skater tries to chum it up.

maybe the joke wasn't funny, much like your posting

sellouts, did i do that right

jk bro, joking with the ref owns.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
The farthest I've ever gone was loudly proclaiming "I RESPECTFULLY DISAGREE WITH THAT CALL! ironic-:argh:" as I was going to the box for interference or some poo poo (which I'm still innocent of to this day) and the ref just laughed.

I've only ever gotten borderline actual fightin' mad and it was when the little midget turdwinger on the opposite team tripped me up hard and put me face first into the boards whereupon I let out a "What the FFFFFFFFUCK?!?" after scraping my garbage rear end up off the ice. That would have been it until he gave me a "pfffft whatever man you fuckin' floppin' bitch" which proceeded to get me a little salty until I noticed the ref threw his hand up for a penalty on the twerp. Ended up having a couple beers with him a game or two later and he's an alright dude - just a bit of a twat when he's on the ice. hah

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.
Everyone's a twat on the ice p much

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

No I'm an angel literally everyone else is a cheating goon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

xzzy posted:

My attitude has definitely changed from when I was doing this as a 20 year old vs now(35). I'm a lot more relaxed - when I was younger it was pretty terrifying and I imagine a lot of guys bluster a lot to make up for a lack of confidence.

bigbillystyle posted:

I find it is in your best interest to be positive or indifferent to the refs. Our league now has 1 out of the rotation of 6 or so refs that actually likes our team and actively makes calls/non calls in our favor if he can get away with it. The only time we really get pissed at the refs if the game starts to get rough and they do nothing until it reaches overload and then goes Hiroshima with penalties. What do you expect to happen if you let everything go unchecked until there is a wrestling match in the corners, or some nasty open ice hit as retaliation for a slew foot or something like that?

That would be my only ref question really. Why call nothing until it boils over and then hand out misconducts like they're Halloween candy?

The teams that consistently do the best with refs are the ones that treat them as completely exogenous to the game. We're trained to be as impartial as possible and some kids (and adults) deal with this better than others.

As for your question: that's generally because they're a bad ref or have made a bad choice about setting a standard which is inappropriate to the level of competition and then react and try to pull things back together. Doing this, as you've seen, is really hard and almost always unsuccessful and leaves nobody happy with the game, usually including the ref.

The smoothest games are where a ref sets a standard, whether high or low, at the start of the game and sticks to it. Teams adapt their play to the standard so having a changing standard is really hard on teams. I personally set a very bright line on what I call at the start of the game and then try to ease off until players start to push the boundaries of safety and fair play,and then I usually just need to issue a reminder penalty or two. It's usually a much calmer game this way.

drizzle posted:

Everyone's a twat on the ice p much

Including the refs :v: