Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Trilas posted:

I strongly recommend main decking 4 Leylines and 4 Runed Halos.

You would think that, but then I couldn't feast on the toolbox decks that make up the other half of the meta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Trilas posted:

I strongly recommend main decking 4 Leylines and 4 Runed Halos.

Please do this so you can lose your board to emrakul

Trilas
Sep 16, 2004

Sigma-X posted:

Please do this so you can lose your board to emrakul

I didn't say it was a good plan...

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Caleb Durward is great. Here's Caleb playing Modern Cheerios. Wizards can ban stuff in modern 5 weeks after the PT, right, not just standard stuff?

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?
Can anyone with premium please post/message me this article?

http://www.starcitygames.com/article/34451_The-Guide-To-UB-Control.html

Many thanks

EDIT: Got it thanks!

DoctorOozy fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Feb 14, 2017

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
http://magicorganizedplay.tumblr.com/post/157244798901/grand-prix-sunday-ptq-formats

I can't even... :laffo:

And for gods sake, they don't play sealed at the pt. I feel like "due to feedback" stuff could be left out as its just insulting at this point.

http://i.imgur.com/KBNcZ.gif

Sickening fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Feb 14, 2017

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
WotC: "Will guys PLEEEEEASE play Standard? How about if we remove every other format?"

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Nice, they're disembowelling their own game

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

TheKingofSprings posted:

Nice, they're disembowelling their own game

No kidding.

Part of me is hoping this is just preparation for a new format they're going to unveil shortly but outside of that it makes no sense why they're just basically forcing everyone to play standard if they want to play constructed magic at a major event

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Sickening posted:

http://magicorganizedplay.tumblr.com/post/157244798901/grand-prix-sunday-ptq-formats

And for gods sake, they don't play sealed at the pt. I feel like "due to feedback" stuff could be left out as its just insulting at this point.

Holy poo poo what the loving gently caress.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Sickening posted:

WotC guy, running in circles and screaming while engulfed in flames: "DOESNT MATTER PEOPLE WILL BUY IT"

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Sickening posted:

I'm the publicly traded company announcing policy changes on tumblr, the website for reaction gifs, bimbo tranformations, and sissy hypnosis.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Who runs Eternal Weekend?

How long before a 3rd party steps up to start organizing larger tournaments for modern and legacy? Scg is cutting back and I heard from a little birdie that their end goal may be to try to take over all the GP's. Tcgplayer is having their state championship tournaments in a few weeks but prize support looks terrible at most locations.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
People would love to play standard but they refuse to put cool cards in it

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Well that's loving dumb

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I made a thing

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Does that announcement about PTQs please anyone in this thread?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Hellsau posted:

Does that announcement about PTQs please anyone in this thread?

Does it really matter that much? It only relates to the PTQs on day 2 of a GP.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
I don't have any feelings either way really. I don't see what the big outrage is supposed to be, but I can see how some folks would be annoyed.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Cactrot posted:

It only relates to the PTQs on day 2 of a GP.

So, all of them.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Cactrot posted:

Does it really matter that much? It only relates to the PTQs on day 2 of a GP.

It's another little move in a series of little moves that further limit the availability of big events for the formats people want to play in favor of the formats WotC wants people to play.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Turns out that when Standard isn't the format people want to play, WotC throws a fit and makes you want to play it.

Or, tries and fails miserably while looking at their money pools lower whole centimeters.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

MisterOblivious posted:

So, all of them.

Yeah I guess, but PPTQ/RPTQ's still exist and this isn't affecting them.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Cactrot posted:

Yeah I guess, but PPTQ/RPTQ's still exist and this isn't affecting them.

Not yet at least. Dropping modern as a WMCQ format and making all day 2 events standard/limited only is not a small thing. All that needs to happen at this point is to cut the modern PPTQ season and the cycle will be complete. Its just a bizarre sequence of events considering the player base and what they want to play.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Guys if we make Standard and Limited the only competitive formats we sanction, then obviously people will play those formats!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

little munchkin posted:

I'm the publicly traded company announcing policy changes on tumblr, the website for reaction gifs, bimbo tranformations, and sissy hypnosis.

tbh this is what is most baffling to me

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Also "based on feedback we received", yea I'm sure. You're getting tons of feedback that people don't want to play the most popular format and don't want to bring lots of cards to a GP.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

It's about as bad as Reddit, which most other companies use, so.

Also looking at those old standard decks is making me really miss when the game was good. The permission control list made me shed a tear for what's been lost.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

You want modern player s to buy packs Wotc.......its simple. The masterpieces are a step in the right direction......but lower the rarity....make getting a masterpiece/expedition the same chance as getting a mythic. Use the secondary market as your guide and actively select the modern legal cards that currently have the highest pricetag and put those as the master pieces. Done. Yes they will be like a year or so behind but whatever.....unless crazy stuff happens theyll still be valuable cards and players will actively want the new arts

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

that standard flashback event is cool and all (and really ballsy to do when standard attendance is so low right now) but lol at it costing 10 bucks per entry

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

The Shortest Path posted:

Also looking at those old standard decks is making me really miss when the game was good. The permission control list made me shed a tear for what's been lost.

Relative to a lot of people here I haven't been around in magic for very long, but when I see old decks and cards that are now considered broken or "design mistakes" I can't help but notice that they all seem cool as hell. Like I can see why affinity and skullclamp were horrible to deal with but they were still interesting and people remember them. It's not like we've gotten anything in return for powering down standard, they had to ban Emrakul and Copter but neither of them are really playable outside of standard.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

ThePeavstenator posted:

Relative to a lot of people here I haven't been around in magic for very long, but when I see old decks and cards that are now considered broken or "design mistakes" I can't help but notice that they all seem cool as hell. Like I can see why affinity and skullclamp were horrible to deal with but they were still interesting and people remember them. It's not like we've gotten anything in return for powering down standard, they had to ban Emrakul and Copter but neither of them are really playable outside of standard.

For your information, Smuggler's Copter is incredibly good in Norin the Wary EDH.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

The Shortest Path posted:

It's about as bad as Reddit, which most other companies use, so.

Link to this?

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Count Bleck posted:

For your information, Smuggler's Copter is incredibly good in Norin the Wary EDH.

And cube.

Madmarker posted:

You want modern player s to buy packs Wotc.......its simple. The masterpieces are a step in the right direction......but lower the rarity....make getting a masterpiece/expedition the same chance as getting a mythic. Use the secondary market as your guide and actively select the modern legal cards that currently have the highest pricetag and put those as the master pieces. Done. Yes they will be like a year or so behind but whatever.....unless crazy stuff happens theyll still be valuable cards and players will actively want the new arts

mcmagic drunk posting on his alt tsk trisk

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

ZeroCount posted:

that standard flashback event is cool and all (and really ballsy to do when standard attendance is so low right now) but lol at it costing 10 bucks per entry

Don't worry! If you go 3-0, 2-1, 2-1, 2-1, 1-2 for a 10-5 record, you only lose a dollar! Plus you don't need to go through the pesky chore of choosing which deck you'd like to play, they can just give you bad Reanimator five times in a row! Wouldn't you love to be going through a lot of effort to reanimate Shivan Dragon against a deck with 8 counterspells, 4 Man-o'-Wars, 3 Tradewind Riders and 2 Capsize?

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Hellsau posted:

Don't worry! If you go 3-0, 2-1, 2-1, 2-1, 1-2 for a 10-5 record, you only lose a dollar!

That's actually a whole lot less awful than I thought it'd be. I saw "Structure: Up to 3 matches, played at your convenience" and just assumed WOTC was being WOTC and it was single-elim.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

MisterOblivious posted:

That's actually a whole lot less awful than I thought it'd be. I saw "Structure: Up to 3 matches, played at your convenience" and just assumed WOTC was being WOTC and it was single-elim.

It's more that gauntlets have craptastic payouts. For every 8 players, you get 800 points going in and only 580 coming out. That's a hefty 27.5% rake.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Hellsau posted:

So on Magic Online, if your opponent casts Reanimate targeting Iona, and you respond with Containment Priest, the Iona gets exiled and the opponent loses no life. I found a Reddit post from seven months ago detailing this bug. This seems like an extremely noticeable bug, am I misinterpreting how Reanimate is worded or something? I'm reasonably certain that they should still lose 9 life.

Just quoting myself from seven months ago because this bug isn't fixed yet.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Jabor posted:

It's more that gauntlets have craptastic payouts. For every 8 players, you get 800 points going in and only 580 coming out. That's a hefty 27.5% rake.

When I called out noted libertarian Lee Sharpe on basically this his response was a shrug and, "the demand exists."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

When I called out noted libertarian Lee Sharpe on basically this his response was a shrug and, "the demand exists."

"Man those fools at Blizzard could be raking in the money if they charged $25 for an Arena run. They're just terrible at business."

• Locked thread