Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I'm rather curious as to what "romantic loan delinquency" means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
That same page just confirmed that Kamille is a MILF hunter.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

dazat posted:

I bought an old Zeta Gundam handbook at the used bookstore, published around the time the compilation films were coming out. It's mostly a pretty standard overview but there's a bonus section in the back where they assess the Zeta men's romantic viability and Quattro's dressing down in particular is so brutal, so utterly savage, I just had to translate it...

Although to be fair, everyone's romances in Zeta are catastrophically bad.

rekt

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

AradoBalanga posted:

If I had to guess it's saying most of his relationships are incredibly one-sided.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

He's a Tomino protagonist. That's hardly a surprise.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Please tell me there's one for Yazan or Jerid

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

It always bothered me that Kamille seemed to be into Emma during the pre-Jaburo arcs but when he returned to space they decided to pretend that never happened.

Thank you, japanese databooks, for telling me I wasn't imagining it.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Emma is a fine lady. As the sole owner of common sense and reason in Zeta Gundam, friggin everyone should be falling head over heels for the woman.

Emma is the best, is what I'm trying to say.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Shinjobi posted:

Emma is a fine lady. As the sole owner of common sense and reason in Zeta Gundam, friggin everyone should be falling head over heels for the woman.

Emma is the best, is what I'm trying to say.
Mao's account spotted.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
did you all forget this fantastic scene?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Bright falls back on eating burgers to avoid many awkward moments.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Raxivace posted:

Mao's account spotted.

W-who even is that, hahaha.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

Bright falls back on eating burgers to avoid many awkward moments.

Bright Noa is a man who knows his priorities.

He also, despite everything, somehow managed a successful marriage and lived to enjoy his retirement, so, you know, good for him.

(I assume its success is entirely due to Mirai.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

Bright Noa is a man who knows his priorities.

He also, despite everything, somehow managed a successful marriage and lived to enjoy his retirement, so, you know, good for him.

(I assume its success is entirely due to Mirai.)

Well, he executed his own son so y'know.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

ImpAtom posted:

Well, he executed his own son so y'know.

That's questionably canon

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

AradoBalanga posted:

I assumed it to mean (direct phrasing btw) that he keeps taking out emotional loans he can't/doesn't intend to repay. Then feigns ignorance when women come to collect (see Haman, Reccoa).

RentACop posted:

Please tell me there's one for Yazan or Jerid

Unfortunately no, there are entries for Kamille, Bright and Amuro though. Amuro gets raked over the coals pretty good for being an uncharismatic sadsack when not actively being pushed into the cockpit by a pretty woman. Kamille gets compared to River Phoenix. Bright is apparently completely and utterly whipped.

dazat fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Feb 13, 2017

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

chiasaur11 posted:

I don't know that I'd call it successful given than he spends the vast majority of the first two decades or so of marriage in space fighting war after war. I'm surprised his kids even recognise him really.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

"He lived onto retirement" is from the exact same thing that says he executed his son so if you're saying one is canon the other is too.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Please give me a slice of life series about Bright's retirement days.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The man who couldn't ride the rainbow.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Staring out the window and thinking about that one burger from Zeta Gundam. The one that saved his marriage.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Guy Goodbody posted:

There is no canon in Gundam.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

There is no canon but Guncannon and Kai Shiden is his prophet.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Midjack posted:

Peace be upon him.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

MonsieurChoc posted:

Clearly there are no works in Gundam that are linearly connected. And there's no importance at all to the fact that Tomino once discussed the placement of his new show in a timeline. And yes, I recognize that Tomino himself probably doesn't care about canon, but if he was discussing it in a manner in which it was accepted then it's not because there isn't one.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

tsob posted:

Clearly there are no works in Gundam that are linearly connected. And there's no importance at all to the fact that Tomino once discussed the placement of his new show in a timeline. And yes, I recognize that Tomino himself probably doesn't care about canon, but if he was discussing it in a manner in which it was accepted then it's not because there isn't one.

There is literally no special "canon" distinction in Gundam. Sunrise doesn't give a poo poo. The only distinction they make is between animated stuff and everything else.

In fact, caring about what is "canon" or not seems to be a particularly western obsession.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I decide what is canon and Monsha totally gets blown to pieces in Zeta Gundam.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

There is literally no special "canon" distinction in Gundam. Sunrise doesn't give a poo poo. The only distinction they make is between animated stuff and everything else.

In fact, caring about what is "canon" or not seems to be a particularly western obsession.

This is absolutely untrue. There are plenty of Japanese fans who care about canon, I've seen them complaining about retcons or what is/isn't in continuity

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Do most Japanese Gundam fans think Glemy is a massive creeper too?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

Do most Japanese Gundam fans think Glemy is a massive creeper too?

He's the butt of a ton of jokes but so is Char so who knows

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I bet Char isn't suffering from that romantic loan delinquency I hear so much about.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

SeanBeansShako posted:

I bet Char isn't suffering from that romantic loan delinquency I hear so much about.

There's a real romantic subprime mortgage crisis going on in the Universal Century.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

MonsieurChoc posted:

That second part isn't actually true, and is the reason several prominent creators, like Tomino and Kawamori have had to publicly discuss canon in some form or another. Leiji Matsumoto is probably the biggest Japanese creator to really eschew canon, since he deliberately puts inconsistencies in all his works that make them at least minutely incompatible with each other no matter what from what I know. Several of them don't really care for canon, but that doesn't mean the fans of their work don't. Or the people publishing them. There is no Japanese word specifically meaning "canon" as far as I'm aware, but the word for they use to distinguish "official" is often translated as "canon" because the concepts are used for similar things in Japanese culture.

Sunrise themselves have never commented on how official (or canon) anything in Gundam is. It's possible to view this as them not having a concept of canon, but it's also possible to see this as them just not choosing to speak about what is and isn't official one way or another. Which is useful when they're trying to maximize sales and not speaking about it at all makes it easier to sell anything they want.

The idea that only animated stuff is official though isn't even something Sunrise themselves said. It's something that several Gundam producers said in an interview about 15 years ago that was specifically discussing whether the suits in the Gihren's Greed game(s) were official or not. Sunrise have never issued a statement one way or the other about how official anything, animated or not, is. The producers said that only the animated suits were official though. They even stated that these suits were "white", while some stuff was obviously not official, and thus "black", but many things were sort of official and sort of un-official and that these were "grey". And that how official they were just depended on context, and whether them being official caused any problems with the existing stories. Which is the kind of language that Lucasarts uses when discussing Star Wars canon.

Sunrise don't comment on whether something is official or not, but at the same time it's pretty drat obvious that at least the animated media from 0079 to at least Unicorn form a single timeline and contain events that build upon each other. Which is really all that canon is at the end of the day. How much you want to count other stuff is really up to the individual after that, if only because so much of the rest is untranslated and hard to find even if it is translated in some form.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Pewdiepie posted:

MS igloo was really good.

Pewdiepie posted:

Zeon was right.

In retrospect, these posts were perhaps a little telling.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Yeahhhhhhh:gonk:

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I just want to say that I love everything about the title The man who could not ride the rainbow It makes complete sense in context but otherwise sounds weird as hell.

Midjack posted:

Not an emptyquote.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

SeanBeansShako posted:

So he is into 25 year olds? Ain't nothing wrong with that!

This is anime we are talking about. 28 is like OLD HAG levels by anime standards. :smith:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Captain Rufus posted:

So he is into 25 year olds? Ain't nothing wrong with that!

This is anime we are talking about. 28 is like OLD HAG levels by anime standards. :smith:

Counterargument: Cima is 35.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/ykarps/status/831530075271155713

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

chiasaur11 posted:

Counterargument: Cima is 35.

To this day my favorite example of this is the delinquent officer in Akira who yells at kaneda for calling him a geezer (he was like 26 but he also looked like an older person).