Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, they long ago established that it wasn't the crystals that was dangerous to humans but rather the metal that encased them. They eventually "refined" the metal out.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Snapping one in half is apparently fine now, but knocking it on a hard surface will aerosolise it.

I can't speak to the varying structural integrity. But I guess like you could snap a piece of chalk in half but if you smashed it on a table hard enough it will explode into a cloud of dust. Maybe not to the same degree, but hey, tv/comic magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Before the show showed the cause of the explosion I thought that chrysalis followed by explosion was the intended function of the anti-inhuman crystals. Would have made for a good way of getting rid of the alien gene, as well as a pretty cool supervillain weapon.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

There weren't "anti inhuman crystals." They were just the leftover crystals Radcliffe had from his work with Hive.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

STAC Goat posted:

There weren't "anti inhuman crystals." They were just the leftover crystals Radcliffe had from his work with Hive.

Radcliffe's magic sauce was combining Hive spoor + Kree blood + Diviner Metal + Terrigen Crystals to create something that would convert regular people into people with the Inhuman gene, awaken their power, then bind them to hive in one fell swoop. Created alpha primitives instead, but good try I guess.

The pure crystals must be something he figured out while doing the other work.

I'm assuming pure crystals were possible all along, but Jaiying didn't want to spare non-Inhumans and killing them was a bonus.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Well saying it was all from his time with Hive is probably an over simplification. But between his time with Hive trying to make the crystals safe for humans and his work with SHIELD who has whatever Jaiying left behind (and yeah, she obviously saw "killing humans" as a benefit, not a bug) whatever Radcliff had was the results of all of that.

Either way the point remains that they weren't "anti inhuman" ones the Watchdogs had. The Watchdogs got them from Radcliffe. We even saw him put them out of a freezer, hand them to the Superior, and say he had them from his past work.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

STAC Goat posted:

Well saying it was all from his time with Hive is probably an over simplification. But between his time with Hive trying to make the crystals safe for humans and his work with SHIELD who has whatever Jaiying left behind (and yeah, she obviously saw "killing humans" as a benefit, not a bug) whatever Radcliff had was the results of all of that.

Either way the point remains that they weren't "anti inhuman" ones the Watchdogs had. The Watchdogs got them from Radcliffe. We even saw him put them out of a freezer, hand them to the Superior, and say he had them from his past work.

Seems like the Watchdogs want to awaken all Inhumans so they can kill them. They consider just the genetic potential to be an Inhuman to be a disease. I mean, didn't SHIELD develop a blood test for that? That'd be a lot easier.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

STAC Goat posted:

I'm aware, but radcliffe's dialogue put me on the wrong foot - his dialogue with superior is somewhere along the lines of "oh here are these crystals that are the first step in exterminating the inhumans" - exploding chrysalises would make a good first step.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Aleph Null posted:

Seems like the Watchdogs want to awaken all Inhumans so they can kill them. They consider just the genetic potential to be an Inhuman to be a disease. I mean, didn't SHIELD develop a blood test for that? That'd be a lot easier.

Maybe I missed something but I don't remember them voicing any such plan. They just wanted to see if Nadeer was an inhuman because her brother was and they had crystals to test her thanks to Radcliffe. They were just being racist assholes demanding a purity test.

If the Watchdogs had some kind of plan to weed out all the inhumans by turning them involuntarily (which would seem like a really stupid plan since its effectively giving your victims super powers before you kill them even if it was feasible to do it on a wide scale) I assume they would have started by having a purity test that would have exposed bomb guy before the Nadeer incident.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
The other part of attempting to turn Nadeer was literally said out loud: The easiest way to bait SHIELD would be with an inhuman, so they intended to create one.

Turned out to work (as far as they know), albeit not directly in the way they planned, because the bad guys DID end up capturing the "director" at the end of the episode.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
I wonder how far Mace will get with the "hey guys I'm not really an Inhuman" defense.

Could see The Superior deciding to use the serum and getting messed up by it like Simmons said could happen to Mace at any time.

Nadeer, The Superior, and the Watch Dogs are boring villains but Radcliffe and his replica squad make up for it. I am glad they blew up Nadeer. They made her a racist bitch to the end.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, they long ago established that it wasn't the crystals that was dangerous to humans but rather the metal that encased them. They eventually "refined" the metal out.

I just think it's weird that potential Inhumans can handle the crystals themselves without any side effects but once they're airborne then they suddenly have an effect on people.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Feb 14, 2017

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

I just think it's weird that Inhumans can handle the crystals themselves without any side effects but once they're airborne then they suddenly have an effect on people.

Maybe there's a layer of transparent plastic or something on the crystals?

At this point I'm just pulling poo poo out of my rear end.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

RareAcumen posted:

I just think it's weird that potential Inhumans can handle the crystals themselves without any side effects but once they're airborne then they suddenly have an effect on people.

Asbestos in solid form won't hurt you but if you break it up into airborne particles and breath it in you'll gently caress up your lungs.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Here's what I remember about the evolution/affect of the crystals.

When the crystals were in the Kree obselisk humans couldnt touch it because the metal would kill/petrify them but inhumans could and it would open the obselisk. At that point the crystals inside would shatter and they affected Tripp, Daisy, and Raina with Tripp just being turned to stone and then getting exploded when Daisy quaked out.

Jaiying's crystals were grown wrong or something and had traces of the obselisk metal in them so when a human touched them they got the same affect as the obselisk like with Caulson's hand. An inhuman could still touch them and still needed them to be shattered to transform.

When the crystals went to the ocean, shattered/leached off, affected the fish, and made it into the pills something about the process took out the metal impurity so now humans could consume them with no affect at all but Inhumans would husk up.

Radcliffe's then purified Jaiying's crystals or grew new ones without any of human killing metal. So they could be handled by human and inhuman with no effect but if shattered/consumed cause the transformation in inhumans. So Watchdog guy could carry the crystals but they didn't affect him until he shattered and breathed them in. Nadeer and the others were unaffected but were killed when Watchdog dude blew out of his husk like Daisy did.

Tldr: You've always had to take them in to transform, it was just the metal that made them deadly to humans whether they touched the crystals or breathed in the powder.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Feb 14, 2017

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

STAC Goat posted:

Here's what I remember about the evolution/affect of the crystals.

When the crystals were in the Kree obselisk humans couldnt touch it because the metal would kill/petrify them but inhumans could and it would open the obselisk. At that point the crystals inside would shatter and they affected Tripp, Daisy, and Raina with Tripp just being turned to stone and then getting exploded when Daisy quaked out.

Jaiying's crystals were grown wrong or something and had traces of the obselisk metal in them so when a human touched them they got the same affect as the obselisk like with Caulson's hand. An inhuman could still touch them and still needed them to be shattered to transform.

When the crystals went to the ocean, shattered/leached off, affected the fish, and made it into the pills something about the process took out the metal impurity so now humans could consume them with no affect at all but Inhumans would husk up.

Radcliffe's then purified Jaiying's crystals or grew new ones without any of human killing metal. So they could be handled by human and inhuman with no effect but if shattered/consumed cause the transformation in inhumans. So Watchdog guy could carry the crystals but they didn't affect him until he shattered and breathed them in. Nadeer and the others were unaffected but were killed when Watchdog dude blew out of his husk like Daisy did.

Tldr: You've always had to take them in to transform, it was just the metal that made them deadly to humans whether they touched the crystals or breathed in the powder.

Good summary. Only "correction" is that Tripp died because he was hit by a metal fragment when he kicked the crystal and it exploded, not due to the crystal itself.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Metropolis posted:

I wonder how far Mace will get with the "hey guys I'm not really an Inhuman" defense.

Could see The Superior deciding to use the serum and getting messed up by it like Simmons said could happen to Mace at any time.

Nadeer, The Superior, and the Watch Dogs are boring villains but Radcliffe and his replica squad make up for it. I am glad they blew up Nadeer. They made her a racist bitch to the end.

Wait, Didn't the watchdogs setup that huge elaborate plan specifically to get Mace's case of super soldier serum?

That one soldier even targeted the vial specifically to keep Mace from reaching it while they were fighting.

They should already know he's not an inhuman right?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Space Crabs posted:

Wait, Didn't the watchdogs setup that huge elaborate plan specifically to get Mace's case of super soldier serum?

That one soldier even targeted the vial specifically to keep Mace from reaching it while they were fighting.

They should already know he's not an inhuman right?

They wanted to kill Mace. The goon shot the vial because Mace was clearly trying to reach it.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
More to the point, Mace bluffed all the goons in the very same episode by acting like he was a superpowered inhuman despite being totally off the serum at that point.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Slashrat posted:

More to the point, Mace bluffed all the goons in the very same episode by acting like he was a superpowered inhuman despite being totally off the serum at that point.

Mace has shown himself to be consistently great at bluffing/improvising his way out of harrowing situations. And he really is a charming man.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJkxFhFRFDA&t=90s

Am I alone in seeing a resemblance between Stan Getz and Jason O'Mara (Mace)?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Good start. Cool fight and Fitz' protest.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
They got that Matrix kung fu training tech

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Coulson, you have a Number One Fan!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Oh you do not want to make Aida mad .

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.
So....do you just poop and pee yourself while in the Framework? Doesn't seem to be any sort of "disposal" apparatuses on hand while you're under...

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Young Coulson's bad Russian.

Younger May's hair!

This is adorable.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Oh, he's totally gonna end up dying while hooked up.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Awww, baby coulson and may

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That wig is terribad.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
May sassin' on Coulson even back in the day is wonderful.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

OK, the more I see of it, the more I'm down for the King Kong movie. That commercial was pretty fun.

(I'm going to be horribly disappointed, aren't I?)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

flosofl posted:

OK, the more I see of it, the more I'm down for the King Kong movie. That commercial was pretty fun.

It has John C Reilly wearing a jacket with the phrase "For your health" on it.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

flosofl posted:

I don't care if it's total poo poo. Giant apes wrecking poo poo is my jam.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lol, did he really just namedrop Brainscan?

Edit: The music at the end of that scene made it sound like a cross between Mass Effect and Deus Ex was starting.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
Oh my god all this bickering.

This episode is already wonderful.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Oh good lord, flirty Coulson and May.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Aww they were flirting from the start this is so cute

Perfect Valentine's episode.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Metaphor. Well done.

She's at Drax's level at least.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Maybe she's developing empathy?

Nah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

GLOSS posted:

So....do you just poop and pee yourself while in the Framework? Doesn't seem to be any sort of "disposal" apparatuses on hand while you're under...

The knowledge of the darkhold is not enough to overcome this challenge :(

• Locked thread