Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Bombadilillo posted:

The in game reason is that you are traveling to different parts of a whole continent and the transitions are metaphorical for you traveling long distances.

Huh? I don't think so. But I'll happily accept time and space are just weird in Drangleic, DS3 certainly helps you make that point.

And to be fair, people complain a lot about that one elevator but for the most part area transitions in that game make a lot of sense. It's only the Hunter's Copse -> Harvest Valley -> Iron Keep branch that doesn't quite work. Areas like the Well, the paths to the Bastille and most other stuff make plenty of sense lore and design wise. Some of them perfectly so, like the whole Drangleic Castle -> Shrine of Amana -> Catacombs area. It just feels, well, soulless, because it doesn't seem as cohesive as DS1's world. They traded an open world design for one that splits into 4 different linear paths, and while I can see what they were going for the game suffers from it. DS3 ditched the multiple path stuff and just focused on building one linear, well designed path and it really paid off.

Elman fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Feb 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Which elevator?

Quantum of Phallus posted:

All souls games are good. Umbasa

Symbol of the beast (I think that's the name) still has the best lore reveal in the series

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

I wish they consistently got better from one game to another instead of one gameplay element getting worse while another gets better. FromSoft is "careful what you wish for" congealed into a studio.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Except those that are console exclusives :c00lbutt:.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Which elevator?

The one connecting Harvest Valley and Iron Keep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMFDummTtp8

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

New Concept Hole posted:

I wish they consistently got better from one game to another instead of one gameplay element getting worse while another gets better. FromSoft is "careful what you wish for" congealed into a studio.

I've actually liked each one more than the last. Though it's as you say each screws up its own thing. As least there hasn't been a straight up worse entry yet.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Oh lava lava land is above? That is kind of funny. I forgot.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
200 years from now, the only fragment of civilization found by aliensn will be a Gamefaqs post complaining about the transition between Earthen Peak and the Iron Keep.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Symbol of the beast (I think that's the name) still has the best lore reveal in the series

Talisman of the Beast from Demon Souls? Do tell, I have and will never play it.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Inspector_666 posted:

Faith and magic is at odds in the setting with the persecuted witch Karla is a call back to is just the regular spell trainer.
Talisman of the beast can cast both miracles and sorceries because it calls the the forgot source of magic and the old faith, the Old One the massive eldritch terror that is the end boss.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Elman posted:

The one connecting Harvest Valley and Iron Keep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMFDummTtp8

I can explain it.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

hanales posted:

I can explain it.

It's a video game.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Inspector_666 posted:

In Demon's Souls there's a substantial amount of dialogue pertaining to miracles and magic and the Demon souls that they're derived-- Urbain, Freke, and Yuria all use the demon's souls to gain power but think there's something inherently evil about how the other does it.

There's actually a lot of insinuation that what they all practice is the same thing but can't see past that because of their own beliefs, but the Talisman of Beasts lays it out very bluntly.

"An old wooden amulet resembling the Old One.

It can utilize both miracles and spells.

The symbol of God was nothing more than the Image of the Old One."

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Inspector_666 posted:

You have to wail on a tree's dick and rear end in a top hat to kill it...

I second the request for new thread title.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Gologle posted:

I second the request for new thread title.

Man's rear end the primeval goatman was better, imo.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
You're cursed and losing your mind, other stuff happens between you taking the elevator and getting to the keep, but you're a crazy undying hobo so you don't recall it. :colbert:

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
The only person cursed and losing their mind was the map designer who was trying to slap all these set-pieces the game director wanted together.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...
They made the mistake of not spelling it out with a big glowing white staircase I guess.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

So I started playing more duels kind of randomly on DS3 and I'm really surprised that people are still available to play on the PS4! Granted it takes forever to get anything other than a duel but I'm still having good matches against randos.

MarshyMcFly fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Feb 15, 2017

Goo P-Nut Sack
Feb 10, 2009

I had to come here and post quickly about a pretty dumb oversight on my behalf. I just started playing through ds3 the other day blind, I've only played bloodborne before this. I killed the deacons of the deep last night having never picked up the ashen estus flask at the beginning of the game and thusly never being able to upgrade to more estus charges. This game is significantly easier with more than three swigs on the ole jug. :)

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Goo P-Nut Sack posted:

I had to come here and post quickly about a pretty dumb oversight on my behalf. I just started playing through ds3 the other day blind, I've only played bloodborne before this. I killed the deacons of the deep last night having never picked up the ashen estus flask at the beginning of the game and thusly never being able to upgrade to more estus charges. This game is significantly easier with more than three swigs on the ole jug. :)

I didn't know you could miss that. I mean, you could I guess...but...but...what!?! drat more power to you getting that far without it. Was it one of those things were you knew it was supposed to be hard so that's how it was?

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I see Nioh is getting crazy reviews but the few boss fight videos I've seen just look like normal people, not huge rotting monsters.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Its got some of those too.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
There's pretty good boss variety in Nioh but the regular enemy variety is a bit lacking. It's a fun game with some callouts to Souls but it's really very different, at least in ways that matter to me (particularly equipment progression).

It's also a lot easier than Souls (at least for me), particularly if you try to optimize your character at all or utilize one of the several absolutely broken skill combos. There wasn't a boss in Nioh that took me more than 3 tries solo while I was pretty stymied by some bosses in Souls/BB. That may be because I've played a lot of character action games on high difficulties, which it shares a lot of its combat pacing and mechanics with.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Nioh has combos on multiple weapons that can infinite stunlock ever human enemy :regd09:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Infinite stunlock on human enemies is pretty much how I got though most of DS2's DLC.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
https://twitter.com/illusorywall/status/829902872301146112

I'll probably reinstall DS2 for this, i've been meaning to go through it again. It always was my favorite of the three

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Why not. Maybe I'll enjoy it more not just bumbling around.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

DS2 PVP is SOOOO good

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I haven't done much research lately, but it should be fun!

Could be an excuse to actually make my fist moveset usable against human players without different version finagling.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Feb 15, 2017

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

spit on my clit posted:

I'll probably reinstall DS2 for this, i've been meaning to go through it again. It always was my favorite of the three

I'm kinda-sorta tempted to get SOTFS on PS4 for this, but I know none of my usual Souls-buds would do it with me since our game backlog is already too dang long.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Inspector_666 posted:

I'm kinda-sorta tempted to get SOTFS on PS4 for this, but I know none of my usual Souls-buds would do it with me since our game backlog is already too dang long.

SOTFS on PS4 is amazing. First Dark Souls game I played fully (after I completed Bloodborne) I loved it. It is INSANELY long with all the DLC.

Goo P-Nut Sack
Feb 10, 2009

Bombadilillo posted:

I didn't know you could miss that. I mean, you could I guess...but...but...what!?! drat more power to you getting that far without it. Was it one of those things were you knew it was supposed to be hard so that's how it was?

I have no idea how I missed it, must have been jumping around getting used to the controls or something. I like to explore every nook and cranny when I play too :confused:

I knew it could be upgraded because of picking up all the shards but I was like huh, wonder when I get the ashen flask the blacksmith says I need?

Goo P-Nut Sack fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Feb 15, 2017

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Goo P-Nut Sack posted:

I have no idea how I missed it, must have been jumping around getting used to the controls or something. I like to explore every nook and cranny when I play too :confused:

I knew it could be upgraded because of picking up all the shards but I was like huh, wonder when I get the ashen flask the blacksmith says I need?

Im surprised that theres special dialog for that, I never saw it on any easteregg things, or "19 things your didn't know about ds3"

Im surprised that the game said "gently caress you go back and get this thing, you are playing wrong" and I LOVE that you said "gently caress YOU I'm gonna keep goin."

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
I'm into this. I have a character that just got to bastille and haven't beaten any of the great souls yet.

Maybe there will actually be some signs on PS4.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
So that's 10 days of prep to start building dumb gimmick invaders, should be doable!

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

spit on my clit posted:

How did you come up with such a user name and avatar?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

On the note of the Harvest Valley Elevator to Old Iron Keep I always thought that the Earthen Peak Castle should've actually been built into the side of a mountain, and that's what I've always assumed the elevator was meant to be.

Basically the Earthen Peak was meant to be the side of the mountain that the Old Iron Keep was built on top of that turned out to be a Volcano. Hence the poisonous gases and such beneath the ground.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
It isn't though. It doesn't have anything to do with any mountains. "Peak" is a fancy translation, in Japanese it's "Tower of Dirt". It's just a tower in a valley, and they decided it should link to Iron Keep not giving half a gently caress about finesse on the transition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

seems like a good excuse to polish off all the 'get every spell' trophies for DS2