Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

TL posted:

1101 is EXCELLENT!

Can confirm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

very glad to hear it's good

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I have a million questions that neither of you can answer, and they're all about the voice acting for the bots.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Can't give much in the way of details as they had everyone sign an NDA. No release date beyond "soon".

As for non-spoiler stuff, I can say Hampton and Baron settled into their roles as the Bots seemingly effortlessly. Despite the new voices, they have the personalities down pat.

The show, visually, is similar to the original version but a little more modern and polished. I was worried it'd be too slick from what they'd shown on Kickstarter, but that was assuaged by literally the first shot. It's a little more grand in scope, but true to the aesthetic.

The riffing was spectacular, up to par with some of the Sci-Fi era (IMHO the best at pure riffs), and they made sure to throw in some classic references in addition to the modern ones.

Jonah, frankly, I think is going to be a star. He's very funny and likeable, and handled one particularly difficult host segment remarkably well.

Felicia and Patton are fun as the Mads, I'd say more but worry about violating the NDA.

The music was great, still felt classic but with a little bit of updating.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

That is fantastic to hear. Doubly-hyped that I managed to score tickets to next week's Hollywood screening now! :awesomelon:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

TL posted:

As for non-spoiler stuff, I can say Hampton and Baron settled into their roles as the Bots seemingly effortlessly. Despite the new voices, they have the personalities down pat.

That's a relief to hear. I love Kevin Murphy but every now and then I weirdly find myself missing the Weinstein Servo voice through my rewatch. I hope they make even their personalities their own, a little. Corbett's Crow being a bit angrier and Murphy's Servo being less of a bro and more of a know-it-all was sort of a fun shake up.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Can you answer whether or not the Satellite of Love is the familiar dog-bone or did they change it to something else?

Probably Infected
Feb 17, 2010
College Slice

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Can you answer whether or not the Satellite of Love is the familiar dog-bone or did they change it to something else?

The dog-bone LIVES.

There was an QAe'r who mentioned how how it resembled the the charm of the old episodes and they honestly nailed it. It felt like an old episode of MST in a lot of ways (references/tone) and the main three were on point.

The riffs were very solid. There is ton to enjoy. A lot of visual gags (compared to previous MST) and the cast is incredibly solid and will only get better I imagine.

According to what I overheard at the after party. Joel already knows the movies he wants to do season 2.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
Since it's Joel produced, are there invention exchanges?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I don't think we can answer that.

We can give our opinions on what we saw, but can't talk about specific details of what was in the episode without breaking both the NDA and Joel's heart.

Diabolik900 fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Feb 15, 2017

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Yay it doesn't suck

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Are they keeping the old team of bots? I thought they were designing something entirely new. Blink two times for yes if you can't answer.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

ringu0 posted:

Are they keeping the old team of bots? I thought they were designing something entirely new. Blink two times for yes if you can't answer.

Just based on information that's already been released, I can say that the old bots are sticking around, but there is at least one additional new bot that's been designed. That new bot was never meant to replace the old ones though, and I don't think it's ever been confirmed whether it even made it into the series or not.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Diabolik900 posted:

Just based on information that's already been released, I can say that the old bots are sticking around, but there is at least one additional new bot that's been designed. That new bot was never meant to replace the old ones though, and I don't think it's ever been confirmed whether it even made it into the series or not.

I wasn't at a screening or anything, so I can safely run my mouth off about the bots without any danger of accidentally revealing too much. But we know that Servo and Crow are coming back with new voices. Here's a short comedy piece of them auditioning for the role of droids in Star Wars:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FsXqidZgG4

There is, as Diabolik900 said, at least one other robot that they prototyped, but who knows when or if it'll show up. I doubt it'd be a major character on the level of Crow or Servo. It kind of looks like Crow's distant cousin:

See this (public) kickstarter update for more on the new bot: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mst3k/bringbackmst3k/posts/1488469

Cambot is also confirmed as coming back, with yet another new design. I'd include a picture, but it's in a backers-only update: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mst3k/bringbackmst3k/posts/1569676

I don't recall hearing anything at all about Gypsy.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Powered Descent posted:

I wasn't at a screening or anything, so I can safely run my mouth off about the bots without any danger of accidentally revealing too much. But we know that Servo and Crow are coming back with new voices. Here's a short comedy piece of them auditioning for the role of droids in Star Wars:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FsXqidZgG4

There is, as Diabolik900 said, at least one other robot that they prototyped, but who knows when or if it'll show up. I doubt it'd be a major character on the level of Crow or Servo. It kind of looks like Crow's distant cousin:

See this (public) kickstarter update for more on the new bot: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mst3k/bringbackmst3k/posts/1488469

Cambot is also confirmed as coming back, with yet another new design. I'd include a picture, but it's in a backers-only update: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mst3k/bringbackmst3k/posts/1569676

I don't recall hearing anything at all about Gypsy.

Since they've got Wayne White contributing art and designs to the program, I'm sure we'll be seeing a few different puppets in addition to the regular bots.

That bot looks like a new version of Cambot, though. Didn't Joel say he wants to get Cambot more involved somehow?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

That bot looks like a new version of Cambot, though. Didn't Joel say he wants to get Cambot more involved somehow?

It's not the new Cambot, it's definitely a separate character. Joel actually talked about both Cambot and this new guy in the backers-only update that Powered Descent linked to. None of the information that's been provided on the new bot makes it seem like it's a major character though. I don't think it's even been mentioned since the show was in pretty early pre-production.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Thank you all. I think I confused those kickstarter updates for the announcement of a new bot team.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Is Gypsy back and do we know who plays her?
Within the realm of what's ok to say.

The new MST3k has better control of leaks than the Trump administration.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

The Ape of Naples posted:

Is Gypsy back and do we know who plays her?
Within the realm of what's ok to say.

The new MST3k has better control of leaks than the Trump administration.

No comment.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Diabolik900 posted:

No comment.

Fair 'nuff.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

For those of us who missed last night screening, here's a glimpse of Episode 1

https://twitter.com/MST3K/status/831935074484367360

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

You cad.

Also, peeps be breaking NDAs over here for those interested.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I'm gonna be frustratingly vague because I'm not actually interested in breaking the NDA, but I think that one of this dude's harshest criticisms is extremely unfair, because it's based on about 15 seconds of the 90 minute episode.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

His whole review is a bit weird given how he also contradicts himself on the riff pacing; nevertheless, I thought it worthwhile to link given the scarcity of impressions outside of this thread.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

The classics never die (ie I HATE TOM SERVO'S NEW VOICE)

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

TL posted:

Can't give much in the way of details as they had everyone sign an NDA. No release date beyond "soon".

The show, visually, is similar to the original version but a little more modern and polished. I was worried it'd be too slick from what they'd shown on Kickstarter, but that was assuaged by literally the first shot. It's a little more grand in scope, but true to the aesthetic.

The riffing was spectacular, up to par with some of the Sci-Fi era (IMHO the best at pure riffs), and they made sure to throw in some classic references in addition to the modern ones.

Jonah, frankly, I think is going to be a star. He's very funny and likeable, and handled one particularly difficult host segment remarkably well.

Felicia and Patton are fun as the Mads, I'd say more but worry about violating the NDA.

The music was great, still felt classic but with a little bit of updating.

Thank you for your service to our country :patriot:

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
One other point-the movie in 1101 is a gem. It's terrible, but watchable, with a few moments that made me laugh on their own, without the need for riffing. The movie feels like a movie they'd have done on the old show.

I will also say, it's possible my impressions of the bots are also slightly based on the little bit of improv Hampton and Baron did with them after the show. But what they did show me is they really get who the characters are, which is very encouraging.

Also, despite having seen Cinematic Titanic live maybe five times, hearing Joel say the word "gently caress" during the pre-show Q and A was both awesome and strange to hear.

Last thing-I really feel that they nailed the charm of the old show, and the whole "everyone on the crew is pitching in" aspect of it. This is a really minor anecdote, but I didn't realize until after the show was over that the woman who passed out the NDAs outside the theater for us to sign was one of the producers. It really strikes me the whole operation is run by people who truly care about the show.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

People who went to the screening, if this doesn't sound strange to you, what existing MST3K episode(s) would you recommend to watch to better prepare for the new stuff?

As in, I know my friend wants to watch the original Twin Peaks again before the new season is out, this sort of thing.

e: speaking of NDA, would you consider breaking it if the person you're talking to flashes an official MST3K Revival League card at you? And if not, why not?

ringu0 fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 15, 2017

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
I don't know that there's an answer to the first question, really. There's movies that this episode reminded me of, but to say more runs the risk of spoiling what the movie is.

And as for the NDA, hell no. Not for a stranger.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
I will say they do a good job of making it accessible to people who are not familiar with the concept, if it helps.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
No one wants to break Joel's heart, especially at this point, after involving so many fans in this dream reboot.

I'm dying for details too, but I appreciate the level of discretion.

Just show your friends your favorite episodes. I showed my girlfriend Hobgoblins and The Incredible Melting Man and that was enough to get her excited for the new season.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

TL posted:

I will say they do a good job of making it accessible to people who are not familiar with the concept, if it helps.

That's important too. People can show it to their kids then. :)

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Franchescanado posted:

No one wants to break Joel's heart, especially at this point, after involving so many fans in this dream reboot.

I'm dying for details too, but I appreciate the level of discretion.

Just show your friends your favorite episodes. I showed my girlfriend Hobgoblins and The Incredible Melting Man and that was enough to get her excited for the new season.

You should have showed her Eegah.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Is it odd that the main thing I wanna know is how the theme song sounds?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

egon_beeblebrox posted:

The only clue we have is a couple of panels from a storyboard, from a year back:

I'd wager they aren't changing things too much. :)

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

egon_beeblebrox posted:

It sounds like the old theme, with some slight differences.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

TL posted:

It sounds like the old theme, with some slight differences.

Jonah being a two-syllable name makes changes necessary.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Jonah and Joel can be pronounced pretty much the same way, so I don't really think it's an issue, especially as Joel was pronounced in that manner. Jo-nah. Jo-el.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

remusclaw posted:

Jonah and Joel can be pronounced pretty much the same way, so I don't really think it's an issue, especially as Joel was pronounced in that manner. Jo-nah. Jo-el.

"Now keep in mind, Jonah can't control where the movies begin or end" causes trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Eh, not too much.

There was a guy named Jo-nah... Keep in mind Jonah cant control. You change the pronunciation between lines, just like they did with Joel. Jo-el...Joel...

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 16, 2017