Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

ArtistCeleste posted:

Oh and Pegan I listen to blacksmither radio on occasion. Victoria was on our Buenos Aires trip so I got to know her there.

I listen to it because I drive a lot, and it's just about the only blacksmith podcast in existence. A lot of the female blacksmiths mention things like using the power hammer to save their body, and using PPE all the time because they know they want to keep doing this for their entire life. And then we've got folks like the dad on Milwaukee Blacksmith who NEVER wears PPE and is somehow, astonishingly, getting injured all the time.

I need to start smith networking more. I've been self teaching for years, and although I've learned a lot, I know I need to get more education and more resources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

ArtistCeleste posted:

What did you make Leperflesh? (I accidentally called you Slung Blade) If you can make it over to North Berkeley you could come swing a hammer with me. I am starting a Twitch channel soon. Be fun to have a striker.

I made the steel stand parts for the sold wood anvil stands. Did some volunteer work one semester as lab monitor and assistant to Chris Neimer in exchange for free lab time. Cut the pieces from big angle iron, drilled ground and welded the bits, with a lot of supervision. Just a little project but it was fun to learn.

Man I actually think coming out to north berkeley to do some hammering would be pretty cool, if you're serious. I'm in Concord so it's not toooo long a drive. We are getting ready for a trip up to Portland in a couple weeks so it'd probably need to be after that, e.g. march? Hit me up with PMs or my user name at gmail dot com and we can figure something out.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Pagan posted:

I listen to it because I drive a lot, and it's just about the only blacksmith podcast in existence. A lot of the female blacksmiths mention things like using the power hammer to save their body, and using PPE all the time because they know they want to keep doing this for their entire life. And then we've got folks like the dad on Milwaukee Blacksmith who NEVER wears PPE and is somehow, astonishingly, getting injured all the time.

But he has a hat!! He's so hip and with it!

And has a family of barely functional human beings who play up a struggle to assemble a literally scaled up model design that comes out of a loving gift store box for 5-10 year olds!

Weird I don't have much respect for that family business.

For real though, gently caress reality TV.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

Slung Blade posted:

But he has a hat!! He's so hip and with it!

And has a family of barely functional human beings who play up a struggle to assemble a literally scaled up model design that comes out of a loving gift store box for 5-10 year olds!

Weird I don't have much respect for that family business.

For real though, gently caress reality TV.

Seriously, I found it very frustrating to watch. I can't tell if it's reality show bullshit or just sheer incompetence. The skeleton episode was terrible. I remember yelling at the screen "steel has more strength than taped together foamcore! Reinforce your model and it won't fall!"

Then, throw in the total disregard for safety, and it becomes a terrible example of what blacksmithing really is.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The dragon gate was absolutely hideous and if I'd paid thousands for it I'd have been furious.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
I laughed pretty hard at this week's forged in fire and how the guy lost.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

Brekelefuw posted:

I laughed pretty hard at this week's forged in fire and how the guy lost.

RIGHT! HOLY poo poo! The look on his face when he realized it... Ouch, but poo poo, follow the rules son!

The last couple of episodes have been pretty disappointing, because the loser is always thrown off by some catastrophic failure. I think only one or two episodes this season have been close. The Naginata episode was the worst, I wanted to see what those giant weapons would do to a ballistics dummy.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Leperflesh posted:

The dragon gate was absolutely hideous and if I'd paid thousands for it I'd have been furious.

I didn't see that episode, and I can't seem to find a picture of it on GIS, at least not one that I think they made, anyway.

Got a link or a picture so I can see this monstrosity?

e: jesus christ is it this? :barf:

Slung Blade fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 11, 2017

ArtistCeleste
Mar 29, 2004

Do you not?
Ick. That's pretty awful. What did the owners think? The textures look good. But looks like they have no artistic talent.

As far as ppe goes it drives me nuts when I don't see people wearing safety glasses. I have even seen attractive women who are very good professionals and they make videos with no safety glasses because I assume they think it's better publicity. One had her face right next to a stone grinder so that they both could be part of a close up.

If that gets in your eye they have to numb your eye and use a brush attachment on a dremel to get it out. Not worth the risk. And it doesn't make you look very professional either.

Slung Blade I will send you a message. It works be fun to work with you.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

ArtistCeleste posted:

Ick. That's pretty awful. What did the owners think? The textures look good. But looks like they have no artistic talent.

As far as ppe goes it drives me nuts when I don't see people wearing safety glasses. I have even seen attractive women who are very good professionals and they make videos with no safety glasses because I assume they think it's better publicity. One had her face right next to a stone grinder so that they both could be part of a close up.

If that gets in your eye they have to numb your eye and use a brush attachment on a dremel to get it out. Not worth the risk. And it doesn't make you look very professional either.

They dug the splinter out with a hypodermic needle when i caught one :haw:

That was... really bad, actually, I forget about that because it happened when I was a wee child. My grandfather had a lil backroom shop that i used to tool around in after school, crush pennies in his bench vise and hammer on random things, you know, destructive kid poo poo (smith practicing). I guess I hammered some steel thing and got the ol eye splinter and because I was a dumb kid I hid it from my parents until I was mostly blind in that eye and having weird spasms from the rust the shard was dropping. Fortunately the hospital got it out with no long-term side effects beyond "absolutely do not get an MRI without them x-raying the everloving poo poo outta your eyes to make sure it's all out".

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
ANYWAYS the moral is: jesus christ wear your loving PPE. in machining class I always see at least one person with nothing on their face and I'm pretty curt about being "go get your glasses before you touch the mill again" because: please, you goddamn morons, you do not have to learn this lesson the way i did

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

So many people seem to have the mindset "I'll start wearing ppe... AFTER I get hurt." Great plan.

I've got my eyes and ears figured out. Now I'm trying to figure out a respirator that isn't TOO uncomfortable.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

ArtistCeleste posted:

I think you mean Leperflesh again. I'm in Canada.

I annealed some rasps yesterday for my neighbour. I couldn't find a bin the right size to put them both in with a bunch of sand, so I just loaded the forge, stuck a 2" round bar in there the same length of the body, and stuck the rasps on either side of it. Let the whole thing get up to temperature (christ that probably took 30-40 minutes) let it soak a while, and then capped the ends to trap the heat.

Seemed to work, since I could cut the rasps with a file this morning. That was pretty neat. :coal:

bend
Dec 31, 2012
I need to get some goggles or something I think, I've recently had a couple of irritating incidents where bits of wire or steel splinters have bounced off my eyebrow then the edge of the glasses and back into my eye. They've washed out well enough thankfully, not enough energy to really drive them in I suppose, but I've put any sort of serious work on hold until I get my hands on better eye protection.

Actually, that's a thought, any recommendations on brand, design etc? I'm in aus and have a massive head (my auto darkening welding mask had to be modified to fit properly!) and haven't really found much locally that looks any better than what I've got without spending ridiculous money. I don't have any objections to spending money mind you, I just wondered if anyone had any alternatives before I do.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Yooper posted:

Got a cool phone call yesterday in regards to machining some parts for a mega yacht. Not just any mega yacht, but a mega yacht built by Krupp in 1928. If it goes through I'll post some pics as this is a pretty cool looking project.

About once a year we get a call like this. Last year it was for a 1904 French Firetruck. The year before that was parts for a P-51 Mustang. Usually it's some old guy looking for parts for his 1934 Ford Tractor.

'Sup fellow (what sounds like) machine shop employee guy.

Where you located? What kind of machines do you run?

ArtistCeleste
Mar 29, 2004

Do you not?
drat it. Sorry Slungblade. I really do know that it's Leperflesh that lives near me.

Btw. I am starting a Twitch stream. If any of you nerds are on Twitch we can follow each other. clayandsteel

I am so excited. John from Guidwerks and I are going to stream from his place at the end of the month. https://www.guildwerks.com/ He is the best toolmaker I know of.
And I will also be streaming with a fellow woodworker too. It will be a good excuse to go around and visit people. Maybe Tim Cisneros would be open to it too. I have been meaning to visit him for a while.

Ok. I will stop plugging and only mention it again if I visit someone cool. Or maybe when Leperflesh visits.

Edit: That made it sound like Leperflesh isn't cool. I didn't really mean it like that.

ArtistCeleste fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Feb 13, 2017

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
I jumped on twitch to see what you were doing, but apparently you didn't leave it in for long, so I followed you. The small sledgehammer video was pretty cool, though from the angle of the camera it looked like you missed a fair bit.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Slung Blade posted:

e: jesus christ is it this? :barf:

Yes, that's it! Basically they talked about how the dude's daughter (he has several boys and one girl) wasn't really into the blacksmith biz, but then a few episodes in she started showing up and contributing. And one of her "big contributions" is that she's "an artist" so they let her draw the dragon and then they made that dragon that she drew.

They did a decent job with the scales, their scrollwork is fine, and I don't mind the tree either, but boy howdy that sure is a dragon drawn by a teenaged girl with zero art training or experience!

What is similarly baffling to me is that I guess either the guy commissioning the gate saw some designs and approved that dragon, or... agreed to pay thousands and thousands of dollars for this and never asked to approve the design?

Crazy.

Slung Blade posted:

I annealed some rasps yesterday for my neighbour. I couldn't find a bin the right size to put them both in with a bunch of sand, so I just loaded the forge, stuck a 2" round bar in there the same length of the body, and stuck the rasps on either side of it. Let the whole thing get up to temperature (christ that probably took 30-40 minutes) let it soak a while, and then capped the ends to trap the heat.

Seemed to work, since I could cut the rasps with a file this morning. That was pretty neat. :coal:

I'm pretty sure I annealed blades at the Crucible using a metal box full of vermiculite? It's super cheap sold in bulk at garden stores for use as soil amendment, so you can just go buy a big bag of it and dump it into a container that won't burn and you're set.

ArtistCeleste posted:

drat it. Sorry Slungblade. I really do know that it's Leperflesh that lives near me.

Btw. I am starting a Twitch stream. If any of you nerds are on Twitch we can follow each other. clayandsteel

I am so excited. John from Guidwerks and I are going to stream from his place at the end of the month. https://www.guildwerks.com/ He is the best toolmaker I know of.
And I will also be streaming with a fellow woodworker too. It will be a good excuse to go around and visit people. Maybe Tim Cisneros would be open to it too. I have been meaning to visit him for a while.

Ok. I will stop plugging and only mention it again if I visit someone cool. Or maybe when Leperflesh visits.

Edit: That made it sound like Leperflesh isn't cool. I didn't really mean it like that.

Followed you on Twitch!

If we do some smithing I might bring my wife along if she's not busy? Depends on scheduling. You'll like her, she makes ceramic robots.

ArtistCeleste
Mar 29, 2004

Do you not?
Bring ceramic robots! Yes vermiculite is good for annealing. Evidently it's not great for breathing, but neither is clay dust so...

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

A Proper Uppercut posted:

'Sup fellow (what sounds like) machine shop employee guy.

Where you located? What kind of machines do you run?

Hi Dude. Northern Michigan. We've got a fleet of centerless grinders, one CNC lathe, a pack of angry surface grinders, a handful of OD grinders, and a bunch of custom designed grinders. We pretty much do nothing but round parts, the surface grinders are just for us to rebuild our own equipment. There's also one lonely Bridgeport knock-off. We're probably the only machine shop around that spends less than a $100 on carbide per year.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Yooper posted:

Hi Dude. Northern Michigan. We've got a fleet of centerless grinders, one CNC lathe, a pack of angry surface grinders, a handful of OD grinders, and a bunch of custom designed grinders. We pretty much do nothing but round parts, the surface grinders are just for us to rebuild our own equipment. There's also one lonely Bridgeport knock-off. We're probably the only machine shop around that spends less than a $100 on carbide per year.

I'm guessing you guys do pretty much nothing but grinding then? That's interesting. I didn't know there were shops that specialized in that. I run mills at a weapons manufacturer. We've got mostly mills and a few lathes, all Mazak. Then a handful of saws and manuals for various small applications. We probably spend $100 a day on carbide. Inserts add up quick. All our parts pretty much come in as forgings and we machine them into finished product from there.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Volkerball posted:

I'm guessing you guys do pretty much nothing but grinding then? That's interesting. I didn't know there were shops that specialized in that. I run mills at a weapons manufacturer. We've got mostly mills and a few lathes, all Mazak. Then a handful of saws and manuals for various small applications. We probably spend $100 a day on carbide. Inserts add up quick. All our parts pretty much come in as forgings and we machine them into finished product from there.

Grinding, and pretty much only one part in different sizes. We also have a hard chrome plating operation that is our niche. (No, we don't chrome bumpers, gun slides, ornamental poo poo, or dildos.)

The big specialty for a centerless is roundness and tolerance on a small diameter part. Sure you can turn a 2 inch shaft to a few tenths tolerance, but try it on a 6 inch long shaft that's only 1/4" diameter. The centerless also removes out of round so you get really perfectly round shafts, compared to a lathe or OD grinder that makes lobed parts.

We've managed to find a good niche, that's hard to replicate, become very good at it, and avoided the race to the bottom that have killed so many machine shops.

I like Mazak stuff. We were going to buy one of those instead of a Haas but the Haas guys threw in a bar feeder. In hindsight I wish we'd have bought the Mazak.

Weapons like handguns and AR's and such? That always looked like an interesting, but ultimately low profit, niche.

CBJamo
Jul 15, 2012

bend posted:

Safety :words:

As long as you're OK with looking like you're in a chem lab, I recommend these. They're quite comfortable, even over glasses, cheap, and have all the appropriate ratings an poo poo.

bend
Dec 31, 2012

CBJamo posted:

As long as you're OK with looking like you're in a chem lab, I recommend these. They're quite comfortable, even over glasses, cheap, and have all the appropriate ratings an poo poo.

Lovely thanks, they look much better than the gear I can find locally at a reasonable price point (country town unfortunately). Unfortunately this year safety gear isn't a tax writeoff, since if you need gear like that working in a supermarket somethings gone drastically wrong.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Yooper posted:

Grinding, and pretty much only one part in different sizes. We also have a hard chrome plating operation that is our niche. (No, we don't chrome bumpers, gun slides, ornamental poo poo, or dildos.)

The big specialty for a centerless is roundness and tolerance on a small diameter part. Sure you can turn a 2 inch shaft to a few tenths tolerance, but try it on a 6 inch long shaft that's only 1/4" diameter. The centerless also removes out of round so you get really perfectly round shafts, compared to a lathe or OD grinder that makes lobed parts.

We've managed to find a good niche, that's hard to replicate, become very good at it, and avoided the race to the bottom that have killed so many machine shops.

I like Mazak stuff. We were going to buy one of those instead of a Haas but the Haas guys threw in a bar feeder. In hindsight I wish we'd have bought the Mazak.

Weapons like handguns and AR's and such? That always looked like an interesting, but ultimately low profit, niche.

We had some centerless grinds at my first job, but I never even went in that department. That was all outsourced parts from John Deere and Caterpillar, so they had a ton of different shafts. Deere hit a rough patch though, and now that shop is about on its last legs. It's too bad. That place has a couple hundred employees in my hometown of 3,000 people, so if they go under the city is pretty much screwed. Good to hear you guys have work.

I started off on Mazak's so I've always been more comfortable with them. The programming is just so much more straightforward. Haas' aren't bad little machines but I've seen some pretty chintzy ones. We had a bunch of their mills and it always seemed like at least one of them was broken down at any given time. That your issue with yours?

And yeah, specifically AR's. This company started off as a boutique selling weapons in the $3,000+ range to rich enthusiasts, but within the last year they got a contract with New Zealand to replace their army's service rifle. So they've expanded a bunch since then to try and fulfill our contract, which is over 10,000 rifles. It's interesting work. We get all kinds of cool grenade launchers and machine guns through here from contracts with different militaries around the world. But the pay isn't top of the industry for sure. I'm going to school for manufacturing engineering right now, and once I've finished that up, I don't intend on sticking around for long.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Volkerball posted:

I started off on Mazak's so I've always been more comfortable with them. The programming is just so much more straightforward. Haas' aren't bad little machines but I've seen some pretty chintzy ones. We had a bunch of their mills and it always seemed like at least one of them was broken down at any given time. That your issue with yours?

Our Haas gets about 10 hours of use a month for one particular part. It's still in immaculate shape. There's a shop down the road that has a ton of them, they never exceed 85% feed and have no issues. Like you said, can be chintzy, but as long as you don't push them like a machine that costs 5 times as much you'll be fine.

I'm actually an EE but spend most of my time doing Manufacturing Engineering. It would behoove you to learn R, especially in relation to SPC. You'll blow people out of the water that are using just Excel. Minitab isn't bad, but if you've got your R groove on you'll do damned good work.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Yooper posted:

Our Haas gets about 10 hours of use a month for one particular part. It's still in immaculate shape. There's a shop down the road that has a ton of them, they never exceed 85% feed and have no issues. Like you said, can be chintzy, but as long as you don't push them like a machine that costs 5 times as much you'll be fine.

I'm actually an EE but spend most of my time doing Manufacturing Engineering. It would behoove you to learn R, especially in relation to SPC. You'll blow people out of the water that are using just Excel. Minitab isn't bad, but if you've got your R groove on you'll do damned good work.

We used a lot of 2 and 3 inch insert mills that would hog through parts, so those machines were definitely dealing with a lot of tool pressure. It would feel like it was vibrating apart lol. The big Mazaks definitely could handle it better.

And thanks for the tip, I'd never heard of R before. I'll have to dig into that.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Volkerball posted:

And thanks for the tip, I'd never heard of R before. I'll have to dig into that.

If you're in any sort of modern shop you'll do a lot of data driven poo poo. Gone are the days of hunches and wild rear end guesses. Profits can be so slim and volumes so high that trending is critical. Being able to present your data visually goes very far to state your case.

Excel really sucks too.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
What FPM speed should I be running on my vertical bandsaw cutting 18 gauge sheet metal? Using a 1/2" 10-14 variable blade.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Zero.

Don't cut sheet metal on a bandsaw. At least three teeth must be engaged in the material. Even a 32 TPI blade will only cut a minimum thickness of 3/32". A 10-14 variable is like 1/4" minimum. Basically each tooth is smacking into the material, tearing through, then the next tooth accelerates and smacks into the cut. This all leads to broken teeth and shattered dreams.

Ideally you'd use a shear, barring that you can use an abrasive cutoff wheel, plasma cutter, or a set of power nippers.

Yooper fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Feb 17, 2017

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
Yep, 18 ga is way too thin for a full-size bandsaw to cut properly. It may actually -cut- in the "now I have two pieces" sense but you're putting the blade through hell. The proper blade for that in my sphere is a #1 or #2 jeweller's saw blade, and you're talking 40-50 TPI with those for the reasons Yooper laid out.

...not that you can do it on your saw, or would want to for "not dying" considerations, but I came across mention of SUPER HIGH SPEED FRICTION CUTTING in a machining textbook, wherein you mount the bandsaw blade backwards and run it at some ludicrous speed only high-end commercial saws can safely hit like 5000 ft/min and push the stock into the back of the blade and it'll just melt its way through. The blade edge has time to cool down as it goes around the reels so it doesn't get hosed up in the process. Bet you could cut your sheet that way!

Ambrose Burnside fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Feb 17, 2017

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

Ambrose Burnside posted:

...not that you can do it on your saw, or would want to for "not dying" considerations, but I came across mention of SUPER HIGH SPEED FRICTION CUTTING in a machining textbook, wherein you mount the bandsaw blade backwards and run it at some ludicrous speed only high-end commercial saws can safely hit like 5000 ft/min and push the stock into the back of the blade and it'll just melt its way through. The blade edge has time to cool down as it goes around the reels so it doesn't get hosed up in the process. Bet you could cut your sheet that way!

That is right up there with the quenching a hot blade in sub-zero acetone, for "crazy but practical things you do in this line of work."

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Ambrose Burnside posted:

run it at some ludicrous speed only high-end commercial saws can safely hit like 5000 ft/min and push the stock into the back of the blade and it'll just melt its way through.

:stare:... yes please

ho ho ho ho wow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XgbUHFh7gA

also this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LPwHoNNreg

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 17, 2017

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Yooper posted:

That's cool, centerless grinding is crazy with the tolerances you can hold on long diameters.

We're also kind of a niche shop, we only do Wire EDM. We have a bunch of those, an old Bridgeport, surface grinder, and bandsaw in a corner.

Also a couple waterjet machines in a different bay.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

If I saw someone doing this on our bandsaw I'd loving slap them. Body parts moving towards cutting edges is a big no-no.

EDM is like magic to me. Magic cutting in a baby swimming pool.

Most people use centerless grinders for throughfeed work, long shafts and such. We specialize in infeed, or plunge, grinding. So yah, we're a niche inside a niche.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

Yooper posted:

If I saw someone doing this on our bandsaw I'd loving slap them. Body parts moving towards cutting edges is a big no-no.

No joke : I'm always looking to get safer. Proper bandsaw tips? How are you supposed to feed a part in?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Pagan posted:

No joke : I'm always looking to get safer. Proper bandsaw tips? How are you supposed to feed a part in?

Our bandsaws all feed the blade into the part. There's slots for various clamping fixtures. In the Roll-Ins below you clamp the part against the rest. Then you release the lever below the table and the whole blade assembly feeds into your part.

If your blade doesn't feed then just hold it very carefully and let the blade do the cutting. If you're forcing the part in all it takes is one slip and now you've got knuckles in blade.

Yooper fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 17, 2017

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Yeah push-sticks only get your hand out of the immediate path - they don't get YOU out of the path of the blade.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Would a tungsten carbide abrasive bandsaw blade do the job?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
Could you screw the thin sheet between two pieces of wood ?