Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

To be fair Iron Fist totally does that stuff when he's fighting demons. Or trains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Lurdiak posted:

I wouldn't mind some kinda alternate universe where Spider-man totally murders people. And no, I don't mean that lame what if where he had wrist guns. Maybe some fist of the north star poo poo.

What if he was Turkish and fought Captain America and Santos

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Lurdiak posted:

I wouldn't mind some kinda alternate universe where Spider-man totally murders people. And no, I don't mean that lame what if where he had wrist guns. Maybe some fist of the north star poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhHhXukovMU

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

The cinematic universes converging into the Amalgam U in 10 or 20 years would certainly be...something

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Mover posted:

The cinematic universes converging into the Amalgam U in 10 or 20 years would certainly be...something

No Dark Claw no sell.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Shageletic posted:

I think that Nolan's Batman had an internal tension (unintentioned, if such a thing can be gleaned, but I'm guessing from the sheer awkardness of it all) with the no killing pledge from the get go, like someone previously said, he doesn't kill unless he sets up a Rube Goldberg type series of events to have you killed, from an out of control train to having a motorcycle set up with 50 cal bullets.

It just sets him up to kill (because HE HAD NO CHOICE or HE HAD NO TIME) while having an audience feel good and justified about his killing. It's not a fault found in Batman alone, its one you could pretty much find in any action hero, especially in the 90s and the first few years of the aughts.

A character that bypasses that to killing without platitudes to not kill (oh yeah, Arrow would be a whole better if that happened, that just struck me) is something that I find not hypocritical, and I would argue is something seen more often in recent movies, from John Wick, to Jason Bourne, to the dude from Taken.

But yeah that stuff about the Bat Scars is nonsensical and ill-thought out. I was just talking about Batman's machine gunning..
I don't really see the Rube Goldberg thing even with Ra's. He doesn't really set out a plan for Ra's to die. He just assesses the situation and decides to let this one just play out. It's worth noting the decision completely bites him in the rear end.

Nolan's Batman is all about the transformation of man into legend, and the difference that exists between a legend and a lie. Nolan's Batman is an imperfect vessel who fucks up and compromises all the time. The years of claims that the end of The Dark Knight was pro-Bush ignore that Bruce knows exactly how dangerous and monstrous what he did was. Yes, you can and should see contradiction in the character. But there is a difference between someone who compromises their values and someone who just has complete disdain for criminals like BvS Batman.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
There needs to be a moratorium in super hero movies on making Jesus allegories.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
If you think about it, Jesus was the original super hero.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

WickedHate posted:

If you think about it, Jesus was the original super hero.

Jesus was at least a 3-time over reboot at that point.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gilgamesh was too gritty and violent and dumb for most people. Never shoulda let Zack Snyder direct.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think if one can do it it's probably the first* superhero?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The author of the Jesus stories originally killed him off but then after the fans clamoured for his return so much the author relented and made up a story as to how he was actually still alive.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It is kinda funny to me that ancient heroes like Herecles weren't heroes in the sense we think of, but rather "people who may or may not have been, but mostly were, douchbags and just happened to have notable exploits often due to extranormal powers".

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

Gilgamesh was too gritty and violent and dumb for most people. Never shoulda let Zack Snyder direct.

Zack Snyder's star has fallen pretty far for me, but I'm not gonna lie, I would absolutely be there for his version of Gilgamesh.

WickedHate posted:

It is kinda funny to me that ancient heroes like Herecles weren't heroes in the sense we think of, but rather "people who may or may not have been, but mostly were, douchbags and just happened to have notable exploits often due to extranormal powers".

So a Mark Millar comic

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Wait John Wick is a superhero?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

bunnyofdoom posted:

Might as well be.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

bunnyofdoom posted:

Is Frank Castle?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Is Frank Castle?

No. Except in that one weird chibi universe.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

On that subject how the gently caress has Ian McShane never been a super villain yet? That man could read a phone book and still project enough menace that you know you will come home to find your family dead

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

bunnyofdoom posted:

On that subject how the gently caress has Ian McShane never been a super villain yet? That man could read a phone book and still project enough menace that you know you will come home to find your family dead

[menace] you say?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

SlimGoodbody posted:

Zack Snyder's star has fallen pretty far for me, but I'm not gonna lie, I would absolutely be there for his version of Gilgamesh.

Yea, Gilgamesh done hyper-stylized like 300 would be fantastic.

bunnyofdoom posted:

I was thinking he could be one of Darksied's servents, but the only ones I could think of would the Desaad or Wunderbar, but I don't think either would really work.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

......Ian McShane doing Darkseid is literally the only thing that would get me to see JL as it stands.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

bunnyofdoom posted:

......Ian McShane doing Darkseid is literally the only thing that would get me to see JL as it stands.

He'd be wasted under all the make-up, like whoever the gently caress it was that played Apocalypse.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

WickedHate posted:

He'd be wasted under all the make-up, like whoever the gently caress it was that played Apocalypse.

Oscar Isaac.

Brolin was wasted as Thanos too.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Nah. Him just doing the voice. Get like, the dude who plays Gregor clegar for the mo cap, get McShane for the voice

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Brolin was wasted as Thanos too.

???

He hasn't even had like 3 minutes of screentime yet. Hard to say he's been wasted, especially when they've said that Infinity War is going to place a lot of focus on Thanos. Plus it's motion capture, and not makeup.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Uh, this video does not have Sam Rockwell in it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Codependent Poster posted:

???

He hasn't even had like 3 minutes of screentime yet.
Was that all? It felt like a lot longer. The Thanos stuff in GotG was a real drag on the movie and just made the character look impotent.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I felt it was really obvious Thanos just chose to play along with Ronan's rebellion because he knew the idiot wouldn't last long.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Was that all? It felt like a lot longer. The Thanos stuff in GotG was a real drag on the movie and just made the character look impotent.

He had one scene where he completely punked out Ronan and then Ronan got even by calling and hanging up on him later.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
There were rumors that IW would basically star Thanos as a solo movie of sorts, as he tracks down the stones. I really doubt that will be the case, but hopefully it indicates he'll get a plot with scenes beyond plotting from a space throne or growling at underlings. The concept art that was posted recently at least makes him look less dumb.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

I felt it was really obvious Thanos just chose to play along with Ronan's rebellion because he knew the idiot wouldn't last long.
All he's done so far is lose Infinity Stones and get betrayed multiple times; he's a pretty pissweak villain at this point. He wasn't the main reason I was only lukewarm on GotG but he really didn't help.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I always liked the start of Infinity War where Thanos is on Titan and he's just chilling on his farm until he starts noticing the future version of himself hanging out, and realizes what The Magus is doing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

twistedmentat posted:

I always liked the start of Infinity War where Thanos is on Titan and he's just chilling on his farm until he starts noticing the future version of himself hanging out, and realizes what The Magus is doing.

It wasn't a future version, it was a DOPPLEGANGER who ended up being essentially identical to Thanos himself. He later fought, defeated and absorbed it to regain the part of himself he had lost.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Electromax posted:

There were rumors that IW would basically star Thanos as a solo movie of sorts, as he tracks down the stones. I really doubt that will be the case, but hopefully it indicates he'll get a plot with scenes beyond plotting from a space throne or growling at underlings. The concept art that was posted recently at least makes him look less dumb.

They've openly stated that Thanos will be a main character in the movie. It won't be a solo movie, but he won't just be a talking plot point like Ultron.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
You know what property I think might actually benefit from getting a sort of dark, gritty, violent reboot?

The Shadow knows.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Wheat Loaf posted:

You know what property I think might actually benefit from getting a sort of dark, gritty, violent reboot?

The Shadow knows.

I dunno, part of the appeal of that character lies in his pulp origins and atmosphere. It would be like doing a super-serious realistic Indiana Jones reboot.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I dunno, part of the appeal of that character lies in his pulp origins and atmosphere. It would be like doing a super-serious realistic Indiana Jones reboot.

Nah, I could see, like, Quentin Tarantino shooting a movie where the Shadow, eyes blazing and nose protruding over the top his scarf, intones that the weed of crime bears bitter fruit then pumps some mobsters full of lead.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I think you can have dark and gritty pulps. I would actually be super behind a new Shadow movie, I love the character but I've actually not read a whole lot with him, nor seen the movie. I have heard some of the radio plays though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

There's two Batman stories, Batman and the Monster Men and Batman and the Mad Monk, both by Matt Wagner, that do a great job with a dark, violent pulp feel without going 'realistic'. I think it'd be a great fit for The Shadow. Hell that'd be a great direction for a future Batman movie.

• Locked thread