Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mover
Jun 30, 2008

The sentry will be another, but unusually sized Raccoon. Rocket and Pete will have to dodge it Indiana Jones style as it careens down the volcanic slope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
MJ: "For Christ's sake, just run to the side!!"

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I'm gonna be so let down when the Sentry isn't, y'know... The Sentry.

I just want to see Robert Reynolds come flying out of an active volcano in a psychotic fugue state, is that so wrong :(

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yes because the sentry is lame

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I hope they all misunderstood and Ronan is actually saying "century".

And Turner D. Century comes out of the volcano.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Push El Burrito posted:

Or an old Buick.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Push El Burrito posted:

Haha, someday ol' T.D.C.'s time will come! someday...

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Manatee Cannon posted:

yes because the sentry is lame
Newspaper Sentry would not be lame! He'd go full crab monster and tear Garfield in half or something and it would own

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Slammy posted:

Archie (October, 1955, click for big)

Just to crosspost in case someone could use it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

goatface posted:

Just to crosspost in case someone could use it.

Goddamn these old cartoons were great before they got the character and soul sucked out of them (though I hear Archie is actually really good again now).

Tangentially related, I still think this might be one of the greatest newspaper comic strips ever made, and it's the FIRST one Schulz ever did!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Archie has always been good, except for the licensed Christian ones.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

WickedHate posted:

Archie has always been good, except for the licensed Christian ones.

Were those the ones that got put out in those little "Archie and Pals" "Archie's Friend Jughead" "Betty and Veronica" digests? Those were the only ones I read as a kid and they were mostly pretty bland (though I liked the art)

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Archie is fantastic now, as is Jughead (and Afterlife with Archie, but that only comes out like one issue every two years).

But Josie and the Pussycats is the best one.

Those're from Josie and the Pussycats #4. It's only four issues into the reboot! Go buy it.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Jerusalem posted:

Goddamn these old cartoons were great before they got the character and soul sucked out of them (though I hear Archie is actually really good again now).

Tangentially related, I still think this might be one of the greatest newspaper comic strips ever made, and it's the FIRST one Schulz ever did!

Back when Charlie Brown had light hair and wasn't just weirdly bald.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Jerusalem posted:

Were those the ones that got put out in those little "Archie and Pals" "Archie's Friend Jughead" "Betty and Veronica" digests? Those were the only ones I read as a kid and they were mostly pretty bland (though I liked the art)

Nah, they had their own imprint. Basically these really religious people asked if they could use Archie characters for their religious popaganda, and the boss of Archie comics at the time said "Sure!" so it resulted in:

What extra sucks is there was really no way from the covers to know you were buying propaganda for yourself or your kids.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

The resolution to this was just "the bank funds a Christian bookstore," though, and it would've been nice if the culture wars had stayed at that level.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
To bring it back to topic, I'm pretty sure this one was written by Turner D. Century.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yup its a goofy rear end Kree Sentry. :goleft:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I have no words at that last panel.

E: OK, I do. Why does the Sentry have a bowl cut and why is it wearing overalls?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Things were different back then.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

flosofl posted:

E: OK, I do. Why does the Sentry have a bowl cut and why is it wearing overalls?

Blending in with the locals?

I'm not sure if I'm more excited about the early posting of tomorrow's strip or sad it won't brighten my morning. Maybe I'll just read it again tomorrow anyway.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
This thread is the one good thing in my life and motivates me to keep going on

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

"Where's the flesh melting lava? I should be covered in it!"
-Spider-man.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

flosofl posted:

It also looks vaguely racist.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Yep, Kree were much more racist back then. Now they just think everyone else as inferior.

I wonder what color it will be on Sunday?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that sentry is the greatest thing I've ever seen (that isn't an edit of newspaper spider-man)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Synthbuttrange posted:

Ah, the yesteryear of tomorrow.

The MSJ posted:

It also looks vaguely racist.

Yeah, I was thinking of adding that, but decided not to poke it with that stick since it's almost certainly unintentional. I'm sure it will have a completely different cringeworthy racial caricature in the next strip.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Feb 15, 2017

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Rocket doesn't know what a raccoon is but can spontaneously quote an archaic Earth whaling cry? Ok. Not my problem.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The very first appearance of a Kree Sentry looked like this:

So this comic strip managed to up the goofy factor of a very goofy 60s robot by like 300%.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I love it.

I love today.

Valentine's Day is proof of love.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Lurdiak posted:

The very first appearance of a Kree Sentry looked like this:

So this comic strip managed to up the goofy factor of a very goofy 60s robot by like 300%.

That's what it'll look like on Sunday.

Of course, tomorrow it'll just be a Sentinel.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I expect it to be holding a giant axe in its hand. It looks like a lumberjack already.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

It's got that Canadian Hoplite look down for sure, which is coincidentally the name of my forthcoming fashion line

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
He looks like colossus after he was brainwashed by arcade

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

They're quite chatty in the books

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Are Kree sentries and mutant hunting sentries related somehow?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You're thinking sentinels, which are completely different giant robots with short shorts!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Synthbuttrange posted:

You're thinking sentinels, which are completely different giant robots with short shorts!
And the same color scheme.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Synthbuttrange posted:

Ah right.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Synthbuttrange posted:

Yup its a goofy rear end Kree Sentry. :goleft:

You definitely pulled that number out of your rear end Ronan.

• Locked thread