Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Baronjutter posted:

Could you put the heaters in farther away adjacent rooms and use vents? Or are vents too fragile? I've always found even on cold maps the ambient heat of my base spreading through the tunnels was enough to keep my mines above 0. Like if my base is at 21 enough heat will leak through doors to keep the deep mine tunnels at 5-10 or so.

You don't want this thing connected to your base in any way. At these temperatures the vents themselves will catch fire, even if the bugs don't break them down, which they totally could do. If I recall, vents only have 100 hp. Part of the trick is this has to be the deepest (farthest from the surface) part of your mines, so my recommendation would be to do like I did in the picture and drill the burnin' hole all by itself away from your (shallower) mines, connected only to the surface, with a good distance of stone keeping the bugs in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Man do not wait for oedipal fiction that could generate. Put the son on ice until pop catches up with/surpasses him.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Man gently caress chemical fascination/interest, quit randomly binging and do some loving work you shits. 3 of my 5 colonists have chemical interest and its annoying that they'll "binge" the last 2 cigars then just wander the rest of the day. And they always go berserk if I arrest them :argh:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Sometimes it's good to just have a "dry" colony and not have any temptations.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Baronjutter posted:

Sometimes it's good to just have a "dry" colony and not have any temptations.

Then they'll just brew it in the tub or the back of the crematoria, there's no stopping the drug trade.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Threw every bit of vice we had on the visiting traders, even if they only had 40 silver to their name. This is a clean colony now

Slung Blade posted:

Then they'll just brew it in the tub or the back of the crematoria, there's no stopping the drug trade.

Yeah I'm waiting for tynan to implement bootlegging cause we can't let the player do anything to get around any in game annoyances.

Also I just had a trade caravan come in and bit by bit all but one plus the animals died :psyduck:

E: Wait I found the problem, they're all starving. Livestock too now. E2: Well I guess they got hungry, went berserk and infighting happened. Now the single "survivor" is slowly starving.

Leal fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Feb 15, 2017

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!
I've seen my chemical interest colonists binge on drugs that the colony didn't even have in storage. And there wasn't any out on the map from supply pods either.

I don't know if they got a buzz or anything but I have also seen chemical interest people break lines and run straight into the line of fire because an enemy dropped some flake in the killbox.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Leal posted:

Man gently caress chemical fascination/interest, quit randomly binging and do some loving work you shits. 3 of my 5 colonists have chemical interest and its annoying that they'll "binge" the last 2 cigars then just wander the rest of the day. And they always go berserk if I arrest them :argh:

Get the locked doors mod so you can build a drug room and forbid them to enter it

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
Lmao before doorchat I had no idea that doors had different opening speeds. Now that I think about it and look at my apartment I GUESS THAT MAKES SENSE.

I've always built doors from the same materials as walls so after earlygame they're mostly from stone. :rip: me I guess. No wonder I was having trouble processing food since there's two granite doors between the kitchen and the freezer.

Edit: do different material walls/doors insulate differently? I just have assumed that wood conducts more heat than stone.

Trogdos! fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Feb 15, 2017

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Dejawesp posted:

I've seen my chemical interest colonists binge on drugs that the colony didn't even have in storage. And there wasn't any out on the map from supply pods either.

I don't know if they got a buzz or anything but I have also seen chemical interest people break lines and run straight into the line of fire because an enemy dropped some flake in the killbox.

Yeah my chemical interest fellas are expendable haulers. One dude's even got his lung shot off from a lance weapon and subsequently binged on Wake-up until he had a heart attack and nearly died. Dude's not doing so well, but I'm not doing a drat thing to help a junkie out. He gets to go out and get killed and haul poo poo until he keels over.

This game is for real pretty great. It does a very good job of implementing most of the good stuff from dwarf fortress, I like the graphics, and the complexity is just right especially with mods. As long as they don't gently caress it up particularly I'm happy to call this a classic.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Started a new colony and randomly dropped into the middle of a desert for the first time. This is definitely... something else. I think as soon as I can tame some Rimworld-camels I'll pack up everything I can and trek to somewhere a bit more temperate.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Trogdos! posted:

Lmao before doorchat I had no idea that doors had different opening speeds. Now that I think about it and look at my apartment I GUESS THAT MAKES SENSE.

I've always built doors from the same materials as walls so after earlygame they're mostly from stone. :rip: me I guess. No wonder I was having trouble processing food since there's two granite doors between the kitchen and the freezer.

Edit: do different material walls/doors insulate differently? I just have assumed that wood conducts more heat than stone.

i believe the thermal capacitance is different but it's not substantially so. the dual-walling trick works because the temperature delta between the inner wall and outer wall is so much smaller than it would be if it was just the outdoors and the wall.

beyond thermal efficiency (which is a big deal for power consumption; obviously every watt you save heating and cooling your compound is another watt you have for building things that get you more wealth and gear), the main reason to do double thick is so you can have one door be wood as a day to day separator, and the other door be stone as a door that is usually held open but can be closed as a blast door in emergencies. you'll lose a lot of heat/cold when the doors open regardless because, you know, the door's open.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
Nothing in the temperature code is material dependent, and there isn't any modeling of thermal capacitance.

For children, this is Tynan's most recent comment:

Tynan posted:

Implementing RW is the same as real life:

Reproduction is easy. It's children that are the problem.

[...] It's just complex to write all the interactions and new behaviors involved in raising a child from 0 to 14 years old.

I would take that as meaning Tynan would like to add human children, but so far has felt the development cost outweighs the benefits.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Zhentar posted:

Nothing in the temperature code is material dependent, and there isn't any modeling of thermal capacitance.

For children, this is Tynan's most recent comment:

I would take that as meaning Tynan would like to add human children, but so far has felt the development cost outweighs the benefits.

Just give them animal AI and they can live in a pen outside the entrance :shrug:

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
You would say that

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Dejawesp posted:

Just give them animal AI and they can live in a pen outside the entrance :shrug:

yeah i'm totally sure that wouldn't cause another ridiculous shitstorm that would be attributed to ~*tynan's vision*~

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Coolguye posted:

yeah i'm totally sure that wouldn't cause another ridiculous shitstorm that would be attributed to ~*tynan's vision*~

Maybe by the religious right

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Coolguye posted:

What. You mean this *isn't* how you are supposed to keep babies?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Even my longest "I'm building a pretty and long term town" rarely go 15+ years, so kids are probably not worth it.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

Even my longest "I'm building a pretty and long term town" rarely go 15+ years, so kids are probably not worth it.

Yeah, unless you're someone who knows the ins and outs to actually make a colony last long enough past Tynan's "You're supposed to leave the planet stop trying to stay in one place HERE HAVE PLAGUE SOLAR FLARE AND A HEATWAVE" vision I don't think most people will see those children turn 3. He'd be putting work in putting something completely worthless in the game. Then again it would be an annoyance to the player so maybe he'll put it in after all.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Kids could be worth it not as laborers but as mood boosters you have to protect. They give the mother and father a huge persistent mood boost and give the colony a small boost. If the kid dies the parents have an instant break and everyone gets a large mood penalty.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

I think this game could use a speed up of the years.

Colonists should get old and die during the course of a normal game. Generational shifts should be a real part of game play.

Maybe that goes against the short term GTFO vision?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Leal posted:

Threw every bit of vice we had on the visiting traders, even if they only had 40 silver to their name. This is a clean colony now

You are like Mansa Musa only with weed instead of gold.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Dejawesp posted:

I think this game could use a speed up of the years.

Colonists should get old and die during the course of a normal game. Generational shifts should be a real part of game play.

Maybe that goes against the short term GTFO vision?

This isn't possible without changing the scope of the game just like pausing one map to play another isn't possible.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Cup Runneth Over posted:

This isn't possible without changing the scope of the game just like pausing one map to play another isn't possible.

It would be fun. Is that a controversial approach to gaming?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
You'd be giving up a lot though. The fact that winter is a relatively long event that on most maps you have to stock up for is an important part of gameplay. Simulating each colonists' daily routine down to who they talk to and when is a basic part of the gameplay. Trying to stretch the timescale would mean abstracting a lot of that stuff, which would just be a different sort of game. I'm ok with the shorter more personal timescale.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
You could get a longer timescale with a mod that adds 10x - 50x - 100x to the time slider, makes crises happen less often but at even greater severity, and then slows it down whenever there's an event. Once you have a mature colony it kind of runs itself apart from the weekly crisis.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Baronjutter posted:

I'm still having problems with the dead-people's clothes problem. I have a thing set to burn all apparel with "allow non-dead person's apparel" or what ever on, and it seems to be working to burn it all up. But when assigning outfits there isn't an option there so people still grab dead people poo poo to wear before I can burn it. The whole thing's a stupid mechanic badly integrated into the interface. There needs to be just a single "don't' loving wear dead people clothes" toggle that defaults to on on all outfits.

Just get the mod that eliminates the dead man's clothing tag.

Mzbundifund posted:

I came up with a good way to pre-empt most infestation problems.

Since infestations like to spawn a) as far from the surface as they can, b) outside of strong (sunlamp-level) light, c) not in freezing temperatures, and d) not on top of items, if you build a long tunnel like this as the farthest undermountain spot on your map, give them some room to spawn, and make sure the temperature doesn't drop below freezing in there, you can guarantee they'll spawn there every time. I tested this setup 5 times with the Spawn Infestation dev mode command and every time they showed up in there. This is a pretty cold map so I have 3 heaters in there to make sure it stays room temp.

I didn't actually leave quite enough empty space in there, there's a small chance that one of the hives will spawn further down in my base, but as you can see they dropped right in the holes. The linchpin of course is the incendiary IEDs.

Don't forget to lock the doors to keep your guys from going in there to try to sweep the floor or whatever.

There we go.

870C isn't even remotely as hot as it gets in there. The stools burn down, and then drop logs on the floor, and THOSE burn down too, so it's a two-stage fire. This is well past the flash point of just about everything, so even bugs that try to tunnel away from the fire will spontaneously combust and burn to death rather than having to wait to die of heatstroke. The only downside is your heaters will also spontaneously combust, and you're just going to have to let them burn away - trying to get a pawn in there to save them is suicide.

Still, it's super effective, if you can set your map up this way.

Huh, that's really interesting. And effective.

Wasn't there a way to get the bugs to collapse if you got the room hot enough, letting you farm the jelly and whatnot?

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

As an example of how well heat spreads look at this images.

Lighting 20 beds on fire in the room marked by the circle.

Will kill every single bug in the whole tunnel network with heat exhaustion.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
anyone know if there's a way to disable or shorten the auto-slowdown for combat?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Is there a mod that removes the Boom<animal>s? I've lost at least half of my games to one of those going mad and charging into the middle of my colony before I can kill it, and its fire spreads and burns my whole installation down when I only have three dudes and containing the fire is impossible.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Is there a mod that removes the Boom<animal>s? I've lost at least half of my games to one of those going mad and charging into the middle of my colony before I can kill it, and its fire spreads and burns my whole installation down when I only have three dudes and containing the fire is impossible.

Animals won't go through doors.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Dejawesp posted:

It would be fun. Is that a controversial approach to gaming?

Depends on whether you consider "I wish this game could do things it wasn't made to do" controversial. Personally, I just consider it dumb.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Depends on whether you consider "I wish this game could do things it wasn't made to do" controversial. Personally, I just consider it dumb.

Mediums are for the audience and not the artist.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I guess the audience should do the work, then!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Dejawesp posted:

Animals won't go through doors.
So should I build a wall of doors around it or something? What am I supposed to do when I have one ramshackle wooden building that comprises of a single un-heated or cooled room?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Day 1 boomalopes would be an issue, but just build small walls between hills to cut off your starting area, then murder all the animals inside the perimeter. Voilą, no mad animal issues til you want to expand.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Azhais posted:

Day 1 boomalopes would be an issue, but just build small walls between hills to cut off your starting area, then murder all the animals inside the perimeter. Voilą, no mad animal issues til you want to expand.
Thats a ton of loving effort and resources early on. I dont care about mad animals, I care that early on the Boomawhatevers cause fires that are impossible for three people to put out. Maybe I've been unlucky and I am over-reacting here but its really annoying and to be honest, really loving dumb.

Its been the cause of game-enders for me as a beginning player more than any other reason combined.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Are you trying to micromanage the fire fighting? I've never had an issue with colonists putting out fires as long as I just highlight the whole area as home area and don't mess with them while they do it. Every time I've ever told someone to fight a fire directly they end up burning

e: also, my final solution to the boom* problem is to draft the whole colony and go on murder sprees every time it rains

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cugel
Jan 22, 2010

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Thats a ton of loving effort and resources early on. I dont care about mad animals, I care that early on the Boomawhatevers cause fires that are impossible for three people to put out. Maybe I've been unlucky and I am over-reacting here but its really annoying and to be honest, really loving dumb.

Its been the cause of game-enders for me as a beginning player more than any other reason combined.

You are unlucky, Boomalopes are big targets and should not be a problem, Boomrats on the other hand are too small for being killed reliably from afar. A walled perimeter is the best defense against mad animals and wooden walls for important buildings are to be avoided. Stonecutting is available from the start in A16 I think.

I'm taming Boomalopes in my current colony.

Sometimes they get mad.

Mechanoid and friendly fire. I've lost only a couple.

Stupid things, don't fight back!

Randy is a dick right now, I've got thirty Boomalopes but I've seen no siege or pirate's raid in a year, only mechanoid and pirate's drops on top of the base. I really wants to use my explosive cavalry.

They live outside the base and mostly take care of themselves.

Azhais posted:

Are you trying to micromanage the fire fighting? I've never had an issue with colonists putting out fires as long as I just highlight the whole area as home area and don't mess with them while they do it. Every time I've ever told someone to fight a fire directly they end up burning

e: also, my final solution to the boom* problem is to draft the whole colony and go on murder sprees every time it rains

A fire will also summon rain, it's magic. (I'm almost certain it works that way.)