Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

At least that's a franchise where you don't need to know any of the EU stuff to get the gist of the story?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
You don't need the ME books to really get the gist of it here, either. Knowing who the book characters are (all two that matter? One and a half?) doesn't impact their roles in game.

Kai Leng is still a stupid shitlord regardless of whether you know him as Kai Leng, invincible NPC bullshit man, or Kai Leng, cereal killer. That detail is really irrelevant in context of the gameplay. He's stupid either way, the only difference is your knowledge of the depth of how stupidly he's written.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Oh agreed on that, yeah. I was referring to other franchises where knowing what happens in the EU books between installments is actually necessary.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Who is Kai Leng? Based on the thread I'm guessing some snowflake "original character (don't steal)" from a ME book and totally not a marty sue self insert? :confused:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Kai Leng is basically TIM's second run at making Shepard but he doesn't have Miranda to help this time. So while he does put in the mind control chip, he also picks the edgiest edgelord that ever edged and made him into a badass cyborg ninja with built in mirror shades.

Kai Leng was a stupid character before they turned him into a 5th grader's Metal Gear Rising OC, they just somehow managed to make him even worse both in game and in the book so bad it's basically been retconed out of existence.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Kurieg posted:

Kai Leng is basically TIM's second run at making Shepard but he doesn't have Miranda to help this time. So while he does put in the mind control chip, he also picks the edgiest edgelord that ever edged and made him into a badass cyborg ninja with built in mirror shades.

Kai Leng was a stupid character before they turned him into a 5th grader's Metal Gear Rising OC, they just somehow managed to make him even worse both in game and in the book so bad it's basically been retconed out of existence.

Didn't Bioware promise a revised edition of that book with all the errors corrected that never happened?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Last anyone heard about that was them talking to the publisher back in late 2012.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Regalingualius posted:

Oh agreed on that, yeah. I was referring to other franchises where knowing what happens in the EU books between installments is actually necessary.

like Halo 4! :negative:

Kurieg posted:

Last anyone heard about that was them talking to the publisher back in late 2012.

I don't know any details but I would stake an awful lot of money on that discussion resulting in "it would be a big loss of money over any possible return, there is no point" ...be it from bioware, the publisher, or both parties really.

Psion fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Feb 3, 2017

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Kurieg posted:

:psyduck:

That sounds utterly terrible.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Poil posted:

You cannot even begin to comprehend

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Poil posted:

Not even going into the plot errors (a fifteen year old girl magically ages up to 18 and has back-alley biotic implantation done and is ready to go an hour later) the writing is just abominable.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Poil posted:

Kai Leng is a character that you hope and pray would receive an extremely stupid off-screen death.

Aces High posted:

too bad the writers forgot this in ME3

or the writers made Shepard forget? Probably the latter seeing as Kai Leng was written like a pet

I think it was more so that the writers wanted to increase the *drama* in ME3 and almost all of it falls flat on it's face.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Kurieg posted:

Not even going into the plot errors (a fifteen year old girl magically ages up to 18 and has back-alley biotic implantation done and is ready to go an hour later) the writing is just abominable.

oh poo poo, he's powered by oats!

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Regalingualius posted:

that sounds terrible, at least as far as video games goes. Then again I might just be saying this because the amount of story that was typically found in manuals was to get you up to speed with where the story was at the start of the game you were playing. This could be as little as "you are an on-duty cop and are going to the site of this thing everyone calls a 'slipgate' and your buddy tells you you're the one who has to go and shut down whatever is happening on the other side" (Quake) to the Diablo manual where you get a crash course in everything that is happening on Sanctuary up to and including the fact that oh I think Diablo is possessing a small child.

cross promotion is cool when it comes to tv and movies but to me turning video games into books kind of ruins the appeal. I dunno, maybe I just don't like the idea of reading books to "get the full story" because I have a lot more trouble digesting a book than I do sitting down and plunking through a video game for a few hours

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

grack posted:

Kai Leng is a character that you hope and pray would receive an extremely stupid off-screen death.
Fortunately you're treated to a pretty satisfying on-screen death, mostly because once his plot armor comes off he's a loving chump. That whole fight is hilarious, especially as a vanguard: "You're too old and slow Shep- AAAAAGGGHH" as you go careening into his face. Too bad you can't piss on his corpse afterwards.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

He's also hilarious with piercing lash, as long as he doesn't have his bullshit barrier up you can ragdoll him around the room.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Never mind the ending, Kai Leng is the worst part of Mass Effect 3.

I always liked Shamus Young's writeup on Kai Leng and the reasons he sucks so much. (spoilers for ME3, obv) The whole retrospective is quite enjoyable to read, and not only because I tend to agree with many of Shamus' opinions on the series..

grack
Jan 10, 2012

SubponticatePoster posted:

Fortunately you're treated to a pretty satisfying on-screen death, mostly because once his plot armor comes off he's a loving chump. That whole fight is hilarious, especially as a vanguard: "You're too old and slow Shep- AAAAAGGGHH" as you go careening into his face. Too bad you can't piss on his corpse afterwards.

RENEGADE INTERRUPT

*Shepard teabags Kai Leng's corpse!*

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

grack posted:

PARAGON INTERRUPT

*Shepard teabags Kai Leng's corpse!*

FTFY

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Doc Morbid posted:

I always liked Shamus Young's writeup on Kai Leng and the reasons he sucks so much. (spoilers for ME3, obv) The whole retrospective is quite enjoyable to read, and not only because I tend to agree with many of Shamus' opinions on the series..

quote:

Imagine you’re going to play one of those nerdy tabletop games with your friends. The group has a kind of grounded, low-key approach to worldbuilding. The world is basically “middle-ages Europe”-ish with a very understated dash of magic. Rather than invent new characters for my hypothetical game, let’s just borrow a few. The players around the table have the following characters:

Boromir: A son of nobility but not royalty, he’s a stalwart man who trusts more in arms than in magic. His mind is often on his troubled homeland.

Frodo: A gentle idealist. He hates violence, but understands the necessity of it. He’s reluctant to draw blood, but also curiously wise and forward-thinking for a halfling.

Gimli: Dwarf. Proud. Practical. Loyal. Simple.

And then there’s this guy. Let’s call him Josh[1]. Josh brings in this character:

Xantar Shadowwalker: A reincarnation of an elven god that was slain by an army ten thousand years ago. He’s a half-elf with a clockwork robo-arm. He carries a glowing samurai sword, wears a Zoro mask and a black cape, and has glowing white eyes. Xantar doesn’t have a fixed personality, but seems to jump from being a swaggering sarcastic joker, to a gravel-voiced agent of vengeance, to an unflappable gentleman, depending on whatever will make the biggest scene.
:allears:

I'm kinda glad I never bothered to play ME3.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Basically, ME3 has a whole bunch of really awesome individual bits that are tied together by an overarching plot that's not all that great when one writer starts working over another. The Gameplay is still fun but occasionally this cyborg ninja comes in and the you can hear the needle being dragged across the record. Tuchanka is great, Rannoch has some interesting gameplay changes, Citadel II has some great setpieces before and after Kai Leng leaves. Thessia has this real sense of "poo poo's hitting the fan we need to figure out what's going on right loving now" but then Kai Leng shows up to delay the plot another 3 missions.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Doc Morbid posted:

thanks for posting, i like reading other takes on me3 even when i don't completely agree w/them

Poil posted:

:allears:

I'm kinda glad I never bothered to play ME3.

the actual gameplay is real good tho, it's just wrapped up in really bad dressing

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Next Update's Ingredients:
Pineapple Juice
Light Rum
Bacardi 151
Grenadine

Malah
May 18, 2015

Next Update's Ingredients:
Pineapple Juice
Light Rum
Bacardi 151
Grenadine
I'm getting flashbacks to a beach bar where I ran up a huge tab and threw up in someone's purse, Jesus take the wheel. :froggonk:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Malah posted:

I'm getting flashbacks to a beach bar where I ran up a huge tab and threw up in someone's purse, Jesus take the wheel. :froggonk:
Now I gotta know, did the person who owned the purse see this happen in real time or did they discover it later?

Malah
May 18, 2015

Now I gotta know, did the person who owned the purse see this happen in real time or did they discover it later?
That purse was the ugliest piece of apparel I've ever seen and I have zero regrets about vomiting in it while she watched, took a few seconds to process it, and despaired.

She did already empty it out in the back seat looking for something, but I made my point clear by retching over the handbag instead of finding an unoccupied plot of sand.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Cerberus Camp for Wayward Children

The Drink
PergNim
2 oz light rum
Pineapple juice
Grenadine
Bacardi 151

Add light rum and pineapple juice to a chilled glass full of ice. Add grenadine, don't stir. Float 151 on top and light. This is similar to our opening drink, so don't burn your goddamn face off when you go to drink it.

The Drinking Game
Drink whenever Jack talks about her lovely past.

The Episode
Jack's loyalty mission. We travel to a jungle planet to blow up an already abandoned facility. Seems a waste of gas and a good bomb but we'd like Jack to get dressed eventually. For funsies I take along Miranda, though it doesn't have any bearing on the post-mission. Cerberus is at their most mustache-twirling pointless evil, doing hosed up things to kidnapped kids. God forbid they try encouragement and focused training, nope we'll just do terrible things and see if that works!

Turns out the facility isn't totally abandoned, one of Jack's fellow campers also got out and is trying to restart it because in his mind it has to have been for a good reason. Sorry dude, it wasn't. Having Jack kill him is another real rear end in a top hat renegade move that doesn't seem to serve any purpose other than being a fucker. I don't think it would help her state of mind either. If you let him live then you'll see him mentioned again in ME3, albeit in an email. Then the mission bugged out and we missed Jack talking about things in her room. Nothing super interesting anyway. Also TIM doesn't give a poo poo about tortured children, he's mostly concerned the cleanup crew didn't delete all the evidence. Priorities!

We had enough P/R points for both options. If you fail this check then you have to side with one of them, making the other disloyal. That can be remedied later in the game if you have upped your P/R score by talking with the angry person and letting them know either they're the smarter/more important one or that the other party member is an rear end in a top hat and you're just jerking them around.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

This entire mission is just Jack alternating between shooting stuff and crying. I imagine that's what sleeping with her would be like as well.

Also how the hell are there Varren here? Do people get them as pets and just dump them off at the nearest planet when they get too big?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I'm assuming the varren came with the blood pack, they're the Krogan equivalent of dogs.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

grack posted:

Also how the hell are there Varren here? Do people get them as pets and just dump them off at the nearest planet when they get too big?

I mean, yeah that probably does happen but they're also the ME version of war dogs, so whenever there are krogan or batarians around there will probably be varren with them

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Aces High posted:

I mean, yeah that probably does happen but they're also the ME version of war dogs, so whenever there are krogan or batarians around there will probably be varren with them

They were first called Batarian War Beasts before somehow they retconned them into coming from Tuchanka.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

grack posted:

This entire mission is just Jack alternating between shooting stuff and crying. I imagine that's what sleeping with her would be like as well.

They get there the same way Thresher Maws and Pyjaks get places.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Pyjaks are basically rats that sneak onto ships, some of the Krogan on Tuchanka talk about it. Thresher maws just erupt out of the crust of the planet and stretch across the vastness of space until they get where they want to be.

Also: Butts needs to start remembering to use her ammo powers, otherwise how is she going to face-charge into explosions in ME3?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Kurieg posted:

Pyjaks are basically rats that sneak onto ships, some of the Krogan on Tuchanka talk about it. Thresher maws just erupt out of the crust of the planet and stretch across the vastness of space until they get where they want to be.

Also: Butts needs to start remembering to use her ammo powers, otherwise how is she going to face-charge into explosions in ME3?
They don't cause combos in 2 so I forget to use them 99% of the time. In 3 though... :getin:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I do love the way Slam interacts with power combos in 3, mainly that it doesn't interact in any useful way instead just raising people up off the ground so everyone can see the giant fireball that used to be a cannibal.

e: I just give all my squadmates that can do ammo powers the squad evolution, and spend my time after landing smearing their ammo across everyone's weapons. Fire ammo's probably the most universally useful unless you're going up against Geth or have Jack around.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Feb 15, 2017

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
My brother had a chance to talk to an old mathematician who survived "stick teens in a freezer" experiments in WW2. The amount of incompetence and pointlessness involved in the whole affair was apparently surprisingly comparable to that shown by Cerberus here.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Kurieg posted:

I'm assuming the varren came with the blood pack, they're the Krogan equivalent of dogs.

Well no, because you never fight varren and Blood Pack mercs at the same time. In fact, Jack mentions that one of the dead varren you find is a fresh kill, so they clearly didn't come with the mercs.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I have an update ready to go, but for this one I want to try something different. For those of you here who are drinkers, nominate a cocktail. If I like your suggestion I'll use it as the episode's drink.

Atomikus
Jun 4, 2010

Muncie? Muncie! MUNCIE!
Aviation
6cl Gin
1.5cl Maraschino liqueur
1cl Crème de violette
2.5cl Lemon juice

Add all to shaker with ice, shake, strain into a martini glass, dunk a cherry in that fucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?
Well, I don't drink and I like seeing pain so...

The Mac & Cheese ‘Shot’
Mac & Cheese.
Cheese Rum
Milk
Macaroni
Velveeta

(From)

• Locked thread