Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I definitely think there's a chance that (a) there's a LMD in there other than Caulson/Mace/Mack/Daisy and (b) that one of those four (well, 3 since LMD Caulson was confirmed) might not be a LMD. I'm not going to make guesses or get bogged down in that stuff because it would all be pure speculation. Its just that there were a couple of elements there that seemed to stand out to me like Fitz and Simmons never even broaching the question of whether they were LMDs when you'd think they would and it would be an easy test.

But if its a thing it will be part of next week's episode and I have no interest in spending a week overthinking it and ruin that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Guys, guys. Fitz is the robot. He hosed with the detection software.
Like, either he was swapped in this episode when he was alone, or he's been a robot for ages (accounting for some of his behavior -- the interest in Aida's head, being so quick to destroy LMD Radcliffe). The latter means that he could have been loving with the LMD detector for ages, but doesn't account for his absence from the submarine (unless the original died), so I'm going with the former for now.

I agree with this. I've been figuring Fitz has been an LMD since AOS pointedly didn't show how in the hell Radcliffe and Fitz got away from killbot Aida when they found the body of the dead SHIELD guy.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Kheldarn posted:

Something else I noticed: For someone who read the Darkhold, it didn't seem to have any effect on The Superior...

Well its not like the Darkhold just turns you into a raving madperson in an instant like Mouth of Madness or something. It basically seems to make its readers obsessed with what it can give them over time. And the Superior was plenty obsessed with what he wanted. In theory what the Darkhold would offer him was a way to get Caulson and he already had that.

Plus we don't necessarily know that it drives everyone mad. Its entirely possible that the problem is that it keeps getting read by mad scientists thirsting for some breakthrough and power.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Obviously the Coulson roboto is programmed too well and he is in love with the Maybot. They are going to run off together.

Too bad they won't live, but then again, who does?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I love that the Superiors motivation was simply because he was pissed off Coulson had taken out his team. Nothing bigger than that.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I genuinely like that. I never bought into "The Superior" as the big bad so I love the way his pretty "meh" motivation, plan, and story just got dismissed out of hand by Caulson and then he turned him over to Daisy. Because the Watchdogs have always been more of a villain for Daisy and Radcliffe, Aida, and the LMDs are way more of a serious problem than they ever were.

Its kind of like the KKK being taken down by Superman because once you take away their mystique ("The Superior") and influence (Nadeer) they're just racist assholes in white hoods/masks.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

STAC Goat posted:

Well its not like the Darkhold just turns you into a raving madperson in an instant like Mouth of Madness or something. It basically seems to make its readers obsessed with what it can give them over time. And the Superior was plenty obsessed with what he wanted. In theory what the Darkhold would offer him was a way to get Caulson and he already had that.

Plus we don't necessarily know that it drives everyone mad. Its entirely possible that the problem is that it keeps getting read by mad scientists thirsting for some breakthrough and power.

Dude. His name is Coulson.

(Also Jesus tap-dancing Christ this show has been on a loving tear, this has been a fantastic run.)

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I think Radcliffe respects Fitz too much to replace him, plus Gemma knew what Aida was right off the bat. I'm pretty sure that we were not misdirected and the four were the only ones replaced.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

This show is just big on misdirection so you always kind of expect it when they leave a door open. Which also gives them a great reason to occasionally leave a door slightly ajar just to keep people guessing even if there's nothing at all to it.

But I'm sure by next Tuesday we'll have analyzed every single person on teh show and their odds of being a robot.

And yeah, I'm loving terrible with names.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

The latter half of the season is so good I forgot the first half had Ghost Rider in it at all.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
It doesn't feel at all like we're only 14 episodes in. Cramming 3 arcs into a season instead of the usual 2 is messing with my perception of how far into the season we are.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
1. Robbie comes back to work as a foolproof LMD detector.

2. Please change thread title to "Cool Origin Story Bro"

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I get Coulson.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

STAC Goat posted:

I genuinely like that. I never bought into "The Superior" as the big bad so I love the way his pretty "meh" motivation, plan, and story just got dismissed out of hand by Caulson and then he turned him over to Daisy. Because the Watchdogs have always been more of a villain for Daisy and Radcliffe, Aida, and the LMDs are way more of a serious problem than they ever were.

Its kind of like the KKK being taken down by Superman because once you take away their mystique ("The Superior") and influence (Nadeer) they're just racist assholes in white hoods/masks.

I was a little disappointed Daisy didn't just keep hammering him with quakes until he shattered like Humpty Dumpty, though. The show is usually pretty good about avoiding the "leave our enemies just sitting around to come after us again" poo poo, and after she floored him she just .. walked off and didn't worry about it later.

Also it occurred to me there could be a huge misdirect still here: What if nobody was replaced, and Fitz was actually taken by Aida when he was alone, and everything so far has been a simulation within the Framework to get information from him?

STAC Goat posted:

This show is just big on misdirection so you always kind of expect it when they leave a door open. Which also gives them a great reason to occasionally leave a door slightly ajar just to keep people guessing even if there's nothing at all to it.

But I'm sure by next Tuesday we'll have analyzed every single person on teh show and their odds of being a robot.

And yeah, I'm loving terrible with names.

Yeah I'm totally going to play my long shot. If Fitz pulls out every trick he knows to get inside Shield and assume control from his "hijacked" allies, Radcliff will get all that information too. It'd be a good misdirect even if it's very unlikely.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Feb 15, 2017

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Radcliffe and Fitz "escaped" rampaging Aida because Radcliffe was already under the influence of the Darkhold, and had programmed Aida to act like that. He knew he wasn't shutting her off, and that she'd "turn back on". It was part of his plan to get her into the base to try to get the Darkhold back.

Also, they showed all 4 members hooked up to The Framework at the end. So, yes, all 4 have been replaced.

twistedmentat posted:

I love that Simmons was able to both agree with Mack but also tell Fitz that he should not beat himself up about what he's done.

But holy poo poo where this is going! Wait they created an LMD that has Quake powers?

I don't think so. I think that was actual Quake doing the fighting, and she got replaced after she left to go find the others.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
So, why were there brain-scans of those four agents, and why were those accessible to Radcliffe? I get the feeling it was explained in the episode and I missed it.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Yeah I think the knife had some sort of sedative coated on it, and Russian dude knew the goal was to knock them out and replace them. He just got stomped when Daisy took longer than expected to go to sleep.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Codependent Poster posted:

I think Radcliffe respects Fitz too much to replace him, plus Gemma knew what Aida was right off the bat. I'm pretty sure that we were not misdirected and the four were the only ones replaced.

Uh he based his first LMD on his ex. I think the more Radcliffe respects you the more likely you are to get LMDed.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Fitz was replaced earlier. When he hooked up Daisy, Coulson, and Mack to the Matrix, he got their brain scans so they could be replaced with LMDs in the Russian base.

Mace may also have been scanned and therefore replaced.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

STAC Goat posted:

We should test this - "hey, I found this book that's full of dad jokes, you should read it".

Do LMDs have superpowers? Because that's the perfect way to test Daisy - just have her shake the base a little.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Josh Lyman posted:

Fitz was replaced earlier. When he hooked up Daisy, Coulson, and Mack to the Matrix, he got their brain scans so they could be replaced with LMDs in the Russian base.

Welp. There it is.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
So basically Simmons and Robbie will need to team up to save the day

I am on board with this

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
With all these drat robits running around, I'm guessing someone is going to die and their LMD will get freed from their programming so they can join the team. I'm gonna guess Fitz or Simmons because that enables the classic 'can robots feel love, and is it okay to gently caress an android?' angst.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Exclusive footage from the next episode: http://oglaf.com/kingshaped/

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Truly there is an Oglaf for every occasion.

Josh Lyman posted:

Nice. That's exactly what it is, well done.

I actually wondered why he was giving them all a run through the Matrix training room thing but didn't put it all together.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

So the LMD count is now "pretty much everyone not Simmons"?

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Guys, guys, guys. We're missing the big picture here:

We need names for LMDs Mack, Coulson, Mace, and Daisy...and maybe Fitz?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

ApeHawk posted:

LMDaisy is an easy one.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

I definitely think there's a chance that (a) there's a LMD in there other than Caulson/Mace/Mack/Daisy and (b) that one of those four (well, 3 since LMD Caulson was confirmed) might not be a LMD. I'm not going to make guesses or get bogged down in that stuff because it would all be pure speculation. Its just that there were a couple of elements there that seemed to stand out to me like Fitz and Simmons never even broaching the question of whether they were LMDs when you'd think they would and it would be an easy test.

But if its a thing it will be part of next week's episode and I have no interest in spending a week overthinking it and ruin that.

It's Davis and you know it.

Also, I swear you're doing that Caulson thing just to bother me, and only me, specifically. It's Coulson. With an o. If I don't say anything now, then three episodes later you'll be calling him CallSign.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
I want to see Davis getting his Rambo on and saving the day.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Alphonso "Mack" MacKenzie waited. The lights above him blinked and sparked out of the air. There were robots in the base. He didn't see them, but had expected them now for years. His warnings to Leopold Fitz were not listened to and now it was too late. Far too late for now, anyway.
Mack was a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent for fourteen years. When he was young he watched the spaceships and said to dad "I want to be on the ships daddy."
Dad said "No! You will BE KILL BY ROBOTS"
There was a time when he believed him. Then as he got oldered he stopped. But now in the airplane base of S.H.I.E.L.D. he knew there were robots.
"This is Coulson" the radio crackered. "You must fight the robots!"
So Mack gotted his sohtgun axe and blew up the wall.
"HE GOING TO KILL US" said the robots "I will shoot at him" said Aida and fired the rocket missiles. Mack shotugnned at her and blew her up. But then the ceiling fell and they were trapped and not able to kill.
"No! I must kill the robots" he shouted The radio said "No, Mack. You are the robots"
And then Mack was a robot.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
The promo for the next episode shows three people hooked up to the framework; Coulson, Mace, and May. So we've definitely got LMaceD and Coulbot on our hands. Either Mack or Daisy could be real. Either way, Fitz is totally the last, most secretest LMD of all.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Fitzbot will be the only LMD able to overcome his programming because Fitz is just that awesome.

LockHeart
Apr 8, 2005

I'll make Coach Haribo proud!

Josh Lyman posted:

Dude, what if the show deals with the fitz dad stuff before we find out he was switched, then we as the audience see charictor growth for the fitz character but it's really a robot.

That way it's hard to wright him off so well as we saw the robot reacting and resolving to a fitz memory.

Then the real fitz dies (causing the LMD revelation) and the robot replaces him on the show.

We get drama of the FizSimmons relationship as Simmons helped Fitzzbot out with his dad stuff and is now emotionally invested in it.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Made a typo just now and accidentally found the perfect nickname for LMD Fitz: Fitzbit! :awesomelon:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

ApeHawk posted:

Mech, LMDaisy... Couls2?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Coulsin

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

ApeHawk posted:

Fitzbit, Skyenet, and iMack. Can't think of one for Mace or Coulson. Maybe Couls-1?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

30u150n

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Macebook. Wants everyone to "like" him and full of overly-perky marketing speak.

• Locked thread