Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Johnny Joestar posted:

i'd be surprised if it was anything other than an mmo

also, who the hell decided that resources should be time-gated for crafting? that's awful.

For crafting ascended stuff, one way around it (besides "spend craptons of gold") is "spend a lot of gold" on Magic-Warped Packets, which have a decent chance of dropping fully crafted ascended materials. Some person figured out you'll make money by buying and opening enough, so if you have unbound magic (and gold) to spare that's not a bad way to do it.

In the end, though, ascended gear is gonna be grindy to get, and yes the time-gated crap is awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

The only thing I need left for my legendary is ~350g to outright buy my precursor, and a handful of t6 materials. I just need money. :(

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Uranium Phoenix posted:

In the end, though, ascended gear is gonna be grindy to get, and yes the time-gated crap is awful.

like, i get that it's kinda there to stabilize the economy, but only a single one per day per account? that's really excessive. i play warframe which has actual time required to finish building weapons and frames, with frames on average taking 3 days to build, but it doesn't even remotely come off as annoying in that game because at least all i have to do is just go ahead and put the resources in at the beginning. in gw2 i have to wait for the privilege to dump more materials into crafting.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!

Johnny Joestar posted:

like, i get that it's kinda there to stabilize the economy, but only a single one per day per account? that's really excessive. i play warframe which has actual time required to finish building weapons and frames, with frames on average taking 3 days to build, but it doesn't even remotely come off as annoying in that game because at least all i have to do is just go ahead and put the resources in at the beginning. in gw2 i have to wait for the privilege to dump more materials into crafting.

The point is to facilitate the market economy. It creates value for the poor, huddled masses because those with gold will give said gold to take advantage of their daily cooldown.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
Pretty much, enjoy my gold buddies.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Visidan posted:

Pretty much, enjoy my gold buddies.

I don't see any in my mailbox, can you actually send it this time though

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Legendaries are just painful enough to get that I would make one and then not play the game again for a year.
It's why I don't bother getting 100% in games anymore. I don't want to resent them.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I probably could've gotten a legendary by now if I had focused on one character only and didn't buy all kinds of useless gemstore stuff (like flutes and flying carpets) but I'm kinda lost interest in legendaries by now. I've yet to get a precursor drop of any kinds despite playing at least semi-actively since launch as well (or an expensive drop of any kind, really).

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Yea I don't have much tolerance for the legendary crafting process; the Gift of Fortune is the only thing left for Ad Infinitum and I can't be bothered.

knowonecanknow
Apr 19, 2009

Ambition must be made to counteract ambition.
It takes one year of sign-in's to get enough laurels to get your gift of fortune for "free"

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Oh yeah, Johnny, I took a screen of my alt with the devoted longbow skin so you could see the red laser bowstring, sadly charr bow drawing animations are really dumb

also I changed the hair to match the weapon skin, completed the story and found my helm's dyes already matched the reward mask really well, with enameled sacrifice for the eyeglow to cap it off

gently caress that boss fight though, two goatees or no two goatees

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Oh poo poo I might get that, I never noticed the bowstring

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

Redmanred
Aug 29, 2005

My hometown japan
:japan:

Shortbow skin is pretty dope as well. Love that red bowstring.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
Sick bow bro

Commissar Budgie
Aug 10, 2011

I am a Commissar. I am empowered to deliver justice wherever I see it lacking. I am empowered to punish cowardice. I am granted the gift of total authority to judge, in the name of the Emperor, on the field of combat.
I finally came back to this game, having not played since heart of thorns came out. It took me a little while to figure out what the point of the expansion was, but after discovering that gliders are fun and good I realized that the point is masteries. And stupid amounts of money.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Commissar Budgie posted:

I finally came back to this game, having not played since heart of thorns came out. It took me a little while to figure out what the point of the expansion was, but after discovering that gliders are fun and good I realized that the point is masteries. And stupid amounts of money.

Actually getting money, or spending it? I have yet to figure out the best ways to source money in the expansion.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Ragequit posted:

Actually getting money, or spending it? I have yet to figure out the best ways to source money in the expansion.

unbound magic and rubies were my go-tos.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

Forget Elona, the next xpac is going to be Guild Wars 2: Heart of Wall Street.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Erdricks posted:

Forget Elona, the next xpac is going to be Guild Wars 2: Heart of Wall Street.

You won't believe the drama that unfolds in DR's financial district.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Player character will have to help Gnashblade drain the swamp.

Commissar Budgie
Aug 10, 2011

I am a Commissar. I am empowered to deliver justice wherever I see it lacking. I am empowered to punish cowardice. I am granted the gift of total authority to judge, in the name of the Emperor, on the field of combat.

Ragequit posted:

Both.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

Generic Octopus posted:

Player character will have to help Gnashblade drain the swamp.

Make Ascalon Great Again.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Erdricks posted:

Make Ascalon Great Again.

More like FASCalon by which I mean fascism #ElleryKielton

e: gem store update some old stuff and one new item;

quote:

Mini Demmi Beetlestone

She’s a nice kid. Always says good morning and never gives me any trouble. Wait until she sees this miniature I commissioned of her! I’ve got one set aside for her when she gets back to Lion’s Arch, so if you see her, tell her to drop by my office.

yeah we see what you did there Anet

Illuyankas fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Feb 15, 2017

knowonecanknow
Apr 19, 2009

Ambition must be made to counteract ambition.
Has the leather "farm" driven down costs yet?

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

knowonecanknow posted:

Has the leather "farm" driven down costs yet?

pre patch hardened leather price: 20s

post patch hardened leather price: 25s

Roc
Nov 8, 2010

where the red fern gropes posted:

pre patch hardened leather price: 20s

post patch hardened leather price: 25s

Pre farm announcement was 32 silver which crashed to 20 silver from panic selling but that said the leather faucet is much smaller and harder to do than what most people thought it would be.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
"""economist"""

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

This cheevo https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Master_of_Puppets was an awful lot of effort after the story mission was over for no reward >:(

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

CLAM DOWN posted:

This cheevo https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Master_of_Puppets was an awful lot of effort after the story mission was over for no reward >:(

But while looking for the letters you also get to find Faren in briefs with a white mantle mesmer tho

DonVincenzo
Nov 12, 2010

Super Monster
The Absolute Guardian of the Universe
Friend of All Children
Thanks to Arus, Indentured and Lonk for helping me during my time of need. gently caress Balthazar forever.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Trogdos! posted:

But while looking for the letters you also get to find Faren in briefs with a white mantle mesmer tho

"I'm hung, you know."

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

After last night's HP train, i've determined scrapper owns and i will just accept that my engineer won't do raids/fractals. i'll go smack idiots in the face with it in pvp and use it for open world pve. there are 8 other classes i could do serious PVE stuff on so whatever! I have this really strong inclination to give my engineer love solely for the fact that she's 1,635 days old.

now that I'm solidly back into the game, after being unable to really enjoy it for whatever reason for a while, I'm having a loving blast. i went out yesterday and smacked around a big dragon and a bunch of plant dudes in Dragon's Stand and i ran around with goons for almost 2 hours doing HPs and that was a lot of fun! I'm really impressed with the game, I can't quite figure out why I lost interest in the first place. Maybe I just played too loving much in BWE and burnt myself out. I've also been digging a bit into things and I've started to realize that there's a metric loving ton of content and stuff to do.

but I have a poo poo ton of questions because, quite frankly, i'm lost in this game! i don't really understand how to progress my character beyond 'hitting cap and getting HPs'. I guess it's kind of refreshing in a way to kind of just play the game and have fun and not be making spreadsheets and poo poo.

I've been running around and doing events and stuff in the HOT zones. I've got all these prybars, machetes, etc. I'm getting tons of bags to open. It's pretty much all blue/green with the occasional yellow. I've got a copper-fed salvage thing in my shared slot so I've been breaking all of those down. Is there some specific stuff I'm hoping to get from all these bags/pods/etc. that I'm popping, or is it just basically fodder to salvage?

How do I make money? I have 11g. I made like, 3g yesterday just running around doing event stuff.

I want to raid and do fractals. Where/how do I get the gear to dress myself for success? I know I need at least exotics, with specific stat layouts, do I need to craft it all or can I get it from dungeons or where does it all come from?

Continuing on, I know this game loves the gently caress out of ACCOUNT-wide growth and not just tying it all to one character. Which is great because I'm real loving tired of MMOs where I have to grind billions of reputation on each character if I really care about them. So, if I raid on one character and I get cool things I can give them to my other guys, right? There's no real downside to raiding/fractaling on one character, or flip-flopping between like five depending on my mood?

I have Ele and Engi at 80, and they're very busy feeling to me. What are some Super Chill and easy to learn/play classes for doing high end things? I want to save the more 'complex' gameplay for when I'm more comfortable. A friend told me to play Hammer Dragonhunter or Daredevil for baby's first PVE character, but I'd like to hear some other thoughts before I commit. I'm probably gonna level one of every class to cap anyway.

What are some other super cool meta events like Dragon's Stand?

Are they ever going to re-implement the first Living Story in some way? I briefly came back when it released but then didn't play it.

Most importantly, how do I make my characters look as insanely garish and bright and obnoxious good as Lonk's?

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Tsurupettan posted:

I want to raid and do fractals. Where/how do I get the gear to dress myself for success? I know I need at least exotics, with specific stat layouts, do I need to craft it all or can I get it from dungeons or where does it all come from?

You can start doing Fractals with exotics, but eventually you'll need to start crafting Ascended items for the whole Agony Resist mechanic. However, the trinkets (amulet/rings/etc.) are bought off vendors for various currencies, not crafted; those are the easiest pieces to get so start there.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Fractals_of_the_Mists

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ascended_equipment

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Agony

95% of questions concerning fractals (and the game in general) can be answered via the wiki, it's quite detailed.

Tsurupettan posted:

How do I make money? I have 11g. I made like, 3g yesterday just running around doing event stuff.

A lot of grinding/farming certain maps/events. That or buy gems & convert. You can get decent money from doing daily events (world bosses, fractals, etc.) but it's going to take time no matter what unless you get a lucky drop you can sell on the TP or buy gems and convert.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

Tsurupettan posted:

1. I've got a copper-fed salvage thing in my shared slot so I've been breaking all of those down. Is there some specific stuff I'm hoping to get from all these bags/pods/etc. that I'm popping, or is it just basically fodder to salvage?

2. How do I make money? I have 11g. I made like, 3g yesterday just running around doing event stuff.

3. I want to raid and do fractals. Where/how do I get the gear to dress myself for success? I know I need at least exotics, with specific stat layouts, do I need to craft it all or can I get it from dungeons or where does it all come from?

4. Continuing on, I know this game loves the gently caress out of ACCOUNT-wide growth and not just tying it all to one character. Which is great because I'm real loving tired of MMOs where I have to grind billions of reputation on each character if I really care about them. So, if I raid on one character and I get cool things I can give them to my other guys, right? There's no real downside to raiding/fractaling on one character, or flip-flopping between like five depending on my mood?

5. I have Ele and Engi at 80, and they're very busy feeling to me. What are some Super Chill and easy to learn/play classes for doing high end things? I want to save the more 'complex' gameplay for when I'm more comfortable. A friend told me to play Hammer Dragonhunter or Daredevil for baby's first PVE character, but I'd like to hear some other thoughts before I commit. I'm probably gonna level one of every class to cap anyway.

6. What are some other super cool meta events like Dragon's Stand?

7. Are they ever going to re-implement the first Living Story in some way? I briefly came back when it released but then didn't play it.

8. Most importantly, how do I make my characters look as insanely garish and bright and obnoxious good as Lonk's?

1. Materials. You are getting materials when you salvage gear, which you can either horde to make armor/weapons/trinkets, or sell for more money, which is end-game for some people. You also get sigils/runes, but those are mostly vendor trash. If you salvage a level 68 or higher rare(yellow) item, however, there is a chance at getting Globs of Ectoplasm, which are used for high-end crafting.

2. There are several ways to make money in this game, but the most relaxed and popular one is doing the Silverwastes events, usually with an organized squad (look for them in Open World-Central Tyria-Squads and join up). Most squads do the RIBA method (doing the outposts Red, Indigo, Blue, and Amber, in that order) to get it in a nice counter-clockwise loop. Look on youtube or elsewhere for a more comprehensive guide. After doing a run, you should get tons of bags of loot to open and then sell/salvage and sell the materials on the Trading Post.

3. Hoo boy. Exotics are fine but you really want to have Ascended gear if you want to be safe. Gear alone won't save you, since it seems you are pretty new to the game still and raids are a whole other beast, especially in this game.

4. Exotic gear is, when equipped, soulbound to that character forever. Ascended gear, however, is all account-bound, meaning your Ranger and your Thief and your Engineer can all wear the same armor, and your Elementalist, Guardian, and Mesmer can use the same staff. It is worth getting, but it is pretty expensive, as it was added as a means of progressing your character, which means its a gold sink. You can get Ascended gear multiple ways, however! Crafting, WvW, Fractals, Laurel Vendors, etc. Just hit up the wiki (literally type in "/wiki ascended gear" in-game and it will take you to the website) and choose how you want to obtain it!

And yes, the account wallet is amazing. Nearly all currencies you get from whichever mode of the game you play is shared to your account.

5. The most super chill profession to play is the Warrior. Thankfully, that profession is also one that is pretty much needed in nearly every team comp of every game mode, too.

6. That's really a question you have to find out for yourself. Go out there and do other meta events and see!

7. Nothing Is Off The Table.

8. You need to have a mind as disturbed as Lonk's, I'm afraid.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Tsurupettan posted:

After last night's HP train, i've determined scrapper owns and i will just accept that my engineer won't do raids/fractals.

I hate so much reading things like that. Dude, you absolutely can do anything you want as any class, especially as whatever class you have fun with the most. Sure your average pubbie glue snorting pickup fractal group of fuckfaces may not take your awesome engy, but an sfd group absolutely will! You do you, my friend.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I hate so much reading things like that. Dude, you absolutely can do anything you want as any class, especially as whatever class you have fun with the most. Sure your average pubbie glue snorting pickup fractal group of fuckfaces may not take your awesome engy, but an sfd group absolutely will! You do you, my friend.

That being said, please don't try playing engie in raids. It's not bad, it's actually fairly competitive with other dps builds. It's just, friends don't let friends raid engie.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Sprite141 posted:

That being said, please don't try playing engie in raids. It's not bad, it's actually fairly competitive with other dps builds. It's just, friends don't let friends raid engie.

If he/she enjoys it, who the hell are you to tell them what to play?

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.

CLAM DOWN posted:

If he/she enjoys it, who the hell are you to tell them what to play?

The other 9 people in the raid group who are looking for places to improve.

Thankfully with the legalization of DPS meters it's easier to tell who's pulling their weight and who should be gently guided towards hammer DH, staff DD, or a class they're already proficient with, away from Tempest, but learning how to play something that performs better is always an option for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Thanks for all of the advice and input.

The problem I'm having with Engineer is that the competitive build (condi engi) is not the fun build for me (too much swapping and busywork and argh) and the one right behind it (power bomb engi) feels dumb because I literally jam on the bomb key/toolbelt/drop grenades occasionally. If there's a competitive pve build where I get to actually see my hammer and wallop enemies with it then I am all ears. I want to see my weapon and use it and have it matter. :smith:

But smacking people in the face with the hammer is totally legit and I am down for that! :getin:

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Feb 15, 2017

• Locked thread