Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Psst.

https://github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases/tag/0.43.05-beta1

DFHack 0.43.05-beta1.

Windows build soon.

IAmTheRad fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Feb 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Tunicate posted:

Toady has fixed the bug so that LD50s are now appropriately calculated based on creature size.

So when cats walk over a boozy floor, get booze on their paws, and lick the booze off their paws to clean them, they now only get slightly buzzed.

Actually the LD was calculated correctly. The problem was that a drop licked off a paw contained the same amount of alcohol as a full keg of beer. He rather made sure to keep track of how much contaminant was being tracked around.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

nielsm posted:

Actually the LD was calculated correctly. The problem was that a drop licked off a paw contained the same amount of alcohol as a full keg of beer. He rather made sure to keep track of how much contaminant was being tracked around.

Those poor cats

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Looking forward to a cat getting it's tooth knocked out then being taken engraved and becoming an artifact hundreds of years later that makes cats go ballistic

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

TildeATH posted:

A giant civ that lives in a relatively constrained area would be cool, because then the other civs are basically playing at hiding from the giants, which is a classic fantasy story. That would make a nice setting for an LP.

"A bronze colossus caravan has come to trade."

Worst thing to happen because they found you and are trying to trade while not being able to read or write.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
A migrant immigrates under a false identity and no one knows that they are really a secret agent bronze colossus.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

nielsm posted:

wait so we have now another liquids system that's more granular than 0-9 per square?

MAH FRAMERATES

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

shame on an IGA posted:

wait so we have now another liquids system that's more granular than 0-9 per square?

MAH FRAMERATES

The spatter system is pretty old, you used to see it with blood a lot.
Notably, it used to be that blood would get onto the feet of your dwarves who would track it all over your fortress by getting onto other dwarves' shoes and so on.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Tenebrais posted:

The spatter system is pretty old, you used to see it with blood a lot.
Notably, it used to be that blood would get onto the feet of your dwarves who would track it all over your fortress by getting onto other dwarves' shoes and so on.

We all have fond memories of Nolio, I'm sure.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Oh dear god I must have tweaked something in the raws somewhere, because it's my second Spring and a migrant wave just bumped my fort up to 46 adults and 51 children

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
The default baby cap thing is like 100 children or 1000% of the population so it does nothing really. Could be that.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

fwiw I been using the alpha 4 on DF 43.05 and it works just fine :shrug:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

StrangeAeon posted:

Oh dear god I must have tweaked something in the raws somewhere, because it's my second Spring and a migrant wave just bumped my fort up to 46 adults and 51 children

Make a "nursery" burrow. Fill it with things to "entertain" the children.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

StrangeAeon posted:

Okay, so after another migrant waved push my Kid Kounter up to about 76, tanking my fps in the process, I decided it was time for... drastic measures. Measures involving a burrow and a drawbridge.

Only 2 ghost children so far, but I think I'll keep them all unmemorialized and see how that goes.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Moridin920 posted:

fwiw I been using the alpha 4 on DF 43.05 and it works just fine :shrug:

There were a few edge cases that led to crashes. I found one in manipulator related to keybinds that would crash the game when filling in a custom nickname or profession. This release was for those bugs, which gets to beta!

I'm just waiting on a Windows build now so I can use manipulator without having to remove basically every keybind.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

:getin:

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

The new hit comedy: 20 Necromancers and a Baby.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
I majored in necromancy with a minor in soap making.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Well it's important to stay clean when you're working with so many rotting body parts you know?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

No sieges yet but I'm keeping a large stockpile of spare parts just outside a fortification near the front gate.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Make a "nursery" burrow. Fill it with things to "entertain" the children.

The forgotten beast Savilerises has come! It emits gouts of cigar smoke. Fear its golden medallion!

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

I've conducted a fun little experiment. I embarked in a location, abandoned immediately, then started adventure mode and worked up the skills to challenge a vault. I slew everything in there twice and made off with as much divine metal shields and weapons as I could carry. After trekking all the way to the abandoned fort site, I dropped all the divine metals and gave in to starvation. After reclaiming the fort, I was able to melt down the divine equipment and get a handy stack of twisting metal bars. Fortress wealth exploded. Each bar alone is worth 1500☼, and once crafters started using them in strange moods, well...

Material properties of divine metals aren't as good as adamantine, but they're still really good. I did abuse the melt exploit to get more bars of twisting metal than I started with, but what dwarf could resist the urge to warp the fabric of time and space to acquire more of this amazing material?

On another note, I got sick of dealing with the front porch of my fort being coated in a thick layer of vomit, so I wrote a script that resets everyone's cave adaption counter and queued it up to run once a month with dfhack's 'repeat' command.

Edit: And somehow my dwarves sparring in the barracks are clipping themselves outside of the building and have to run screaming through the fort to get back to training :psydwarf:

Double Edit: I also didn't realize how good sparring in the barracks is at training up attributes. Looks like the weaker members of the fort are going to spend some time working out in the reserves to get them up to snuff.

Neurion fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Feb 15, 2017

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Neurion posted:

On another note, I got sick of dealing with the front porch of my fort being coated in a thick layer of vomit, so I wrote a script that resets everyone's cave adaption counter and queued it up to run once a month with dfhack's 'repeat' command.

Just open up a skylight over your dining hall/tavern and then cover it back up. With glass blocks if you're feeling realistic, with dirt/stone/wood if you don't care. Once sunlight hits a square it will always be marked as "outside". No more cave adaptation.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

My fort doesn't feel complete without vomit everywhere.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Vengarr posted:

Just open up a skylight over your dining hall/tavern and then cover it back up. With glass blocks if you're feeling realistic, with dirt/stone/wood if you don't care. Once sunlight hits a square it will always be marked as "outside". No more cave adaptation.

Not quite, it'll always be marked as "light", but once its covered it's "inside" again. Inside-light doesn't affect the cave adaption counter, outside-light decreases it, inside-dark increases it. I built my central staircase and tavern in such a way they were inside-light, and cave adaption still happened at the usual rate. Since I didn't feel like redoing my entire fort's design to have poo poo directly open to the sun, I went with the script.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

The always outdoor once light hit the area was a bug. Toady fixed that. It's why there's now Indoor Dark, Indoor Light, and Outdoor Light now.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'll have to double check when I get home but I'm pretty sure that bug still exists...

quote:

It's why there's now Indoor Dark, Indoor Light, and Outdoor Light now.

That's been there since .34 no?

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Vomit, or as the dwarves call it, cave carpet.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Moridin920 posted:

I'll have to double check when I get home but I'm pretty sure that bug still exists...

That's been there since .34 no?

If you have no roof or any construction above a tile that you want to be 'outside' then nothing will happen. It will be considered outside in terms of what the game determines outside to be. Of course, having a mass of dwarves outside to prevent cave adaptation is an issue for multiple reasons. Putting anything above a tile, even a single crystal glass block makes every tile below that tile 'indoors', thus will not prevent cave adaptation. The only way to stop it is to have dwarves go to what the game considers outside.

The difference now is that once a tile becomes 'above ground' it will always be above ground. You could build a 100 z-level tower above it and that tile is still above ground. It won't prevent cave adaptation, but it will allow you to plant above ground crops without having open air access. That bug still exists. It's only when a dwarf is in 'dark indoor' which most of your fortress will probably be will start your dwarf to get cave adaptation. If sunlight touched a tile at one point, it will always remain lit and will not cause any cave adaptation to occur. The only way to cause cave adaptation to be reduced is to have a dwarf get direct access to the sun, which means outside where it's scary and those beady eyed elephants will be staring at the dwarves.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

IAmTheRad posted:

If you have no roof or any construction above a tile that you want to be 'outside' then nothing will happen. It will be considered outside in terms of what the game determines outside to be. Of course, having a mass of dwarves outside to prevent cave adaptation is an issue for multiple reasons. Putting anything above a tile, even a single crystal glass block makes every tile below that tile 'indoors', thus will not prevent cave adaptation. The only way to stop it is to have dwarves go to what the game considers outside.

The difference now is that once a tile becomes 'above ground' it will always be above ground. You could build a 100 z-level tower above it and that tile is still above ground. It won't prevent cave adaptation, but it will allow you to plant above ground crops without having open air access. That bug still exists. It's only when a dwarf is in 'dark indoor' which most of your fortress will probably be will start your dwarf to get cave adaptation. If sunlight touched a tile at one point, it will always remain lit and will not cause any cave adaptation to occur. The only way to cause cave adaptation to be reduced is to have a dwarf get direct access to the sun, which means outside where it's scary and those beady eyed elephants will be staring at the dwarves.

Ahhh the fact that plants were still growing was throwing me off then. Also the bit where the lit indoor tile won't cause further adaptation but won't actually help remove it.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

I like to put my coal-based furnaces and forges outside for this reason (along with the roleplay reason that such things should produce a lot of smoke and require ventilation). Between hauling and actually working the furnaces, that seems to do a lot to keep the cave adaptation away.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

after reading Glazedcoast all of my forts for a while were on evil glaciers so I could cover every single square inch of the map in vomit

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Playing Rimworld and seeing how colonists flip poo poo with filth, it makes me wonder if we'll revert back to the days where tantrums were frequent and not a rare occurrence with opulent dining rooms and meals if dwarves got mood debuffs from seeing all that vomit.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

My sparring dwarves are still somehow teleporting themselves outside of the barracks walls and falling down a few Z-levels onto the side of the mountain. I wouldn't have noticed in the first place if it weren't for the fact that occasionally sparring would result in combat logs (instead of sparring logs) about someone's armor deflecting the force of an unidentified impact. Eventually I observed it actually happening, so I've built a walkway around the outside of the barracks so if it happens again, at least they won't fall several Z levels and risk an unlucky dice roll crushing their skulls.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Neurion posted:

My sparring dwarves are still somehow teleporting themselves outside of the barracks walls and falling down a few Z-levels onto the side of the mountain. I wouldn't have noticed in the first place if it weren't for the fact that occasionally sparring would result in combat logs (instead of sparring logs) about someone's armor deflecting the force of an unidentified impact. Eventually I observed it actually happening, so I've built a walkway around the outside of the barracks so if it happens again, at least they won't fall several Z levels and risk an unlucky dice roll crushing their skulls.

Nah their just sparring the mountain as a final boss

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Is it no longer a thing to just put every dwarf into a military squad that does nothing except take a super short patrol outdoors once a year to prevent cave adaptation? I mean you can't really do that in an evil biome but hey.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Eric the Mauve posted:

Is it no longer a thing to just put every dwarf into a military squad that does nothing except take a super short patrol outdoors once a year to prevent cave adaptation? I mean you can't really do that in an evil biome but hey.

I hadn't really thought of that but I learned on .34 and cave adaptation vomit everywhere wasn't really a huge issue...

I just put my tavern outdoors now and they're going in and outta there all the time.

Neurion posted:

I think what is happening here is you're getting hit by a bug where a dwarf will dodge into the wall and since he can't occupy the same spot as a wall he just gets warped to the other side of it, if the other side is empty.

You can double up the walls which will prevent it. If your room is a square you can also put the armor/weapon stand in the middle and make the room designation end a square away from the wall so they won't be standing right up against it when they are sparring.

That bug is a general bug with combat btw, meaning I def have had dwarves dodge through a wall into empty air above magma when in the middle of a fight before.

e: looks like charging attacks can cause it, too.

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=7444

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Feb 16, 2017

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Does a grate let Outside-ness through it, if you want to have somewhere inside your fort be anti-cave-adaptation but don't want it open so birds can fly in and steal things and annoy your residents?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Zereth posted:

Does a grate let Outside-ness through it, if you want to have somewhere inside your fort be anti-cave-adaptation but don't want it open so birds can fly in and steal things and annoy your residents?

it's not Inside-ness that counts, it's exposure to Light.

Anything that has ever been touched by the sun is Lighted, even if you put a floor of obsidian over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Excelzior posted:

it's not Inside-ness that counts, it's exposure to Light.

Anything that has ever been touched by the sun is Lighted, even if you put a floor of obsidian over it.
We just had a discussion about how that used to be accurate, but has since been changed.