Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

jBrereton posted:

Even though Gareth Snell may in fact be one of the shittest newly minted MPs ever, surely you can see how it might be in the party's advantage to have him and not Paul Nuttall win the seat just in terms of ~The Narrative~ which you think is the only thing going on?

Sure. It's still mostly inside baseball though, and the much-anticipated UKIP-led upset against labour has failed to materialise in pretty much every other byelection that's been covered to date. I don't disagree that byelections play a role I just don't subscribe to the idea that they're as decisive or important as they're made out.

This isn't getting excuses in early, it's plain labour's in trouble and they're probably gonna get hosed in the next GE. If they win this next byelection or lose it, it's not gonna augur the result further down the line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Baron Corbyn posted:

Hey, looks like The Sun have decided to back to posting straight up "ew gays" bullshit and outing people for no apparent reason.

This is really pissing me off.

Sadly it appears that IPSO can only take complaints about things other than accuracy from an affected person or their representative.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Prince John posted:

This is really pissing me off.

Sadly it appears that IPSO can only take complaints about things other than accuracy from an affected person or their representative.

They've pulled the article, so (hopefully) the guy and/or others made enough of a stink.

Pesky Splinter posted:

Looks like they've pulled that article from the Sun

The address bar has "legal-removal" in it.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Simple explanation: maybe Drake Law's smut is owned by Murdoch and was underperforming.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Oh I wonder if that means Carter-Ruck will be sending out an apology after the email they sent yesterday?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

TomViolence posted:

This isn't getting excuses in early, it's plain labour's in trouble and they're probably gonna get hosed in the next GE. If they win this next byelection or lose it, it's not gonna augur the result further down the line.

If labour were in a position to possibly win the next general election there would be no question of them losing these by-elections.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
There's a really good Private Eye special report on the history of the revolving door between the Government and Civil Service, and the private sector here.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

TomViolence posted:

The tories already have a majority and labour is already useless, byelections aren't gonna change that.
On the one hand you've a complaint about the make up of the parliamentary party.
On the other hand you're saying that elections to parliament - the sole means of determining the make up of said party - are irrelevant to that.

Do you see the contradiction here?

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Cerv posted:

On the one hand you've a complaint about the make up of the parliamentary party.
On the other hand you're saying that elections to parliament - the sole means of determining the make up of said party - are irrelevant to that.

Do you see the contradiction here?

Not really, since you're putting words into my mouth. Labour is screwed by more factors than just the makeup of the PLP and my gripe wasn't about byelections taking place, just the undue emphasis placed on them as predictors of labour's future electoral success. There wasn't really even an argument couched in my complaint so much as I was expressing boredom and frustration with the endless harping about how each byelection is so pivotally important that a labour loss indicates the end of labour as an electorally viable party or whatever bullshit the commentariat's trotting out this time. They desperately want a working-class UKIP surge and a shift away from traditional labour support to be a thing and that's the narrative they're going for, no matter how many times it fails to happen.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
They're not a predictor, they're a measure.

Losing one of these by elections would represent a disaster for labour, losing both is unimaginable. That's why I think labour will win both.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Don't forget these are actually parliamentary by-elections, not just some local councils - they're definitely a better predictor, but still pretty limited since we live in interesting times. Especially in Stoke where the UKIP King is launching his crusade after Labour's unpopular parachute decided he was bored with being their MP

Oberleutnant posted:

There's a really good Private Eye special report on the history of the revolving door between the Government and Civil Service, and the private sector here.

There's a better scan here, looks good in a bad way

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Feb 15, 2017

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

TinTower posted:

Yes; the Tory majority effectively growing by 25% is not what any of us want.

This is why council elections are more important than the thread seems to realise; council elections build up an activist base that you can utilise in parliamentary elections.

You don't win elections if you don't sacrifice your shoe leather in the process.

thank god we have a lib dem, an expert in winning elections, to tell us how elections are won

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Can't wait for them to prop up the Tories again

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I'm glad that we can poop on a poster for agreeing with another poster that elections are kinda important, because I guess he supports (supported?) the Lib Dems.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Let's not get ahead of ourselves with crazy theories in this thread and claim there are Lib Dem supporters or something

The Lib Dems' Fight Back Won't Save You

quote:

I won't tell you not to support the Lib Dems. There's no point. Nobody supports the Lib Dems. You might vote for them, you might join the party, you might put a big yellow Lib Dems sticker in your window – it doesn't matter. Supporting the Lib Dems would mean agreeing with their ideological position, endorsing their plan for change, seeking a Lib Dem government and ascribing to a generally Lib Dem cosmology: an understanding of the way the world works, from the nature of politics and the economy down to what really quivers deep in the human heart, that is inscribed on every level with an unmistakable Lib Demminess. You do not ascribe to the Lib Dem understanding of the world. Nobody does. There is no such thing.

At the last election, the Lib Dems seemed to believe they could only ever be an essential element in any new government; they thought they had sewn themselves right back into the constitutional fabric of British society. They were wrong.

At the time they ran on what is, when you think about it, a deeply weird slogan: their party would "add a heart to a Conservative government and a brain to a Labour one". In other words, it didn't really matter who was in government; the presence of the Lib Dems would dull any sharp ideological edges and turn everything into a comforting mush of benevolent managerial competence. Before 2015, the Lib Dems were defending Tory cuts and voting to ramp up tuition fees; now they're trying to form a "progressive alliance" with Labour in by-elections. This isn't just ideological promiscuity; it's the mark of a party that doesn't really have any ideology whatsoever.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Fangz posted:

I'm glad that we can poop on a poster for agreeing with another poster that elections are kinda important, because I guess he supports (supported?) the Lib Dems.

This but unironically. She supports Lib Dems even after 2010-2015 and keeps trying sick burns on another political party. Which is funny and deserves to be mocked.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

forkboy84 posted:

This but unironically. She supports Lib Dems even after 2010-2015 and keeps trying sick burns on another political party. Which is funny and deserves to be mocked.

I don't really think 'I agree that by-elections are important' is some kind of sick burn, but I guess descending into a chorus of 'oh but the lib dems suck!' must feel cathartic.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Fangz posted:

I don't really think 'I agree that by-elections are important' is some kind of sick burn, but I guess descending into a chorus of 'oh but the lib dems suck!' must feel cathartic.

I was more making fun of "you don't win elections if..." coming from a member of a party with no experience of doing that in living memory.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Baron Corbyn posted:

I was more making fun of "you don't win elections if..." coming from a member of a party with no experience of doing that in living memory.
The lib dems won a parliamentary byelection just over two months ago. Apparently "living memory" ain't what it used to be.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

LemonDrizzle posted:

The lib dems won a parliamentary byelection just over two months ago. Apparently "living memory" ain't what it used to be.

They won a byelection by hoovering up protest votes from people either too stupid to realise their protest wouldn't be listened to or too stupid to remember 2010-2015.
I mean kudos for tapping into a group of voters too politically illiterate to realise what idiots they're being, but there's nothing politically brilliant about stealing UKIP's game plan.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

kingturnip posted:

They won a byelection by hoovering up protest votes from people either too stupid to realise their protest wouldn't be listened to or too stupid to remember 2010-2015.
I mean kudos for tapping into a group of voters too politically illiterate to realise what idiots they're being, but there's nothing politically brilliant about stealing UKIP's game plan.

Back to the tried and tested 'insult people that don't agree with me' method of winning votes I see.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
:yikes:

https://twitter.com/Arron_banks/status/831582207722528768?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

J_RBG posted:

Let's not get ahead of ourselves with crazy theories in this thread and claim there are Lib Dem supporters or something

The Lib Dems' Fight Back Won't Save You

A Good Article, thanks.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Always a vote winning tactic along the lines of saying that jimmy savile was "misunderstood".

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Pissflaps posted:

They're not a predictor, they're a measure.

Losing one of these by elections would represent a disaster for labour, losing both is unimaginable. That's why I think labour will win both.

Really don't see Labour winning Copeland when their candidate actively avoids talking to the media and Jez hates nuclear power and nuclear submarines: the majority of employment in the area that isn't minimum wage.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

kingturnip posted:

Perhaps people were just voting for a party that represented their views on the biggest political issue of the day. Would that be illiterate? If so what is the point of voting for anyone?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
The Lib Dems gave people one reason to vote for them.

Which is one more than Labour has managed recently.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jippa posted:

Always a vote winning tactic along the lines of saying that jimmy savile was "misunderstood".

You're seriously equating saying Hillsborough was not Woodstock with saying Savile was not a paedophile?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
:britain:

https://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2017/02/14/world/africa/ap-af-gambia-britain.html

quote:

BANJUL, Gambia — Gambia will soon return to the Commonwealth under its new government, Britain's foreign secretary said Tuesday after meeting with President Adama Barrow and pledging London's support for this small West African nation following the departure of its leader of 22 years.

Barrow has vowed to reverse actions taken by his predecessor, Yahya Jammeh, who announced last year that Gambia would withdraw from the International Criminal Court. Three years earlier Jammeh Gambia from the Commonwealth, a 52-nation group made up mostly of former British colonies.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Pissflaps posted:

The Lib Dems gave people one reason to vote for them.

Which is one more than Labour has managed recently.

I vote Labour because they are less likely to destroy the NHS, erode worker rights and are generally less likely to invent bullshit laws. Notice I said less likely. This is where I feel we're at. And none of this has changed because Corbyn is not doing a good job at the moment or because I don't like the way Brexit is being handled.

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Feb 15, 2017

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Regarde Aduck posted:

I vote Labour because they are less likely to destroy the NHS, erode worker rights and are generally less likely to invent bullshit laws. Notice I said less likely. This is where I feel we're at. And none of this has changed because Corbyn is not doing a good job at the moment or because I don't like the way Brexit is being handled.

That's true but unfortunately you're not going to see Labour in government being less likely to do those things until labours leadership problem is resolved.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Jedit posted:

You're seriously equating saying Hillsborough was not Woodstock with saying Savile was not a paedophile?

Jippa's being OTT, but I think I get what he means and I agree with it. Banks is deliberately trying to downplay Hillsborough, and specifically downplay its aftermath, by suggestings it's "just" a tragedy, something akin to a natural disaster. Hillsborough is a cultural event, and there's a reason it has resonance beyond, say, the Ibrox disaster, because "Hillsborough" doesn't just mean "that match where 96 people died," but it also means the willful and systematic lying and misrepresentation from the police and media, the lack of any official consequences, and the decades long campaign fought to try and change the official version and cultural memory of the event.

The comparison with Saville, though not great and not one I would've chosen, does work to a degree, since Saville's case wasn't "just" about his crimes but the way they were ignored, neglected and enabled by institutional malaise and people in positions of authority being happy to ignore something disturbing because, frankly, the offender was much more culturally, socially, and politically powerful than the victims

[edit: got Jippa's name wrong - too many J-names in this thread!]

Niric fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Feb 15, 2017

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Somehow your quote misses "Withdrew" there.

I guess that's pretty good news. I wonder if Adama will turn into a dictator as well?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/feb/15/bank-england-retain-plastic-5-note-vegan-protest-10-animal-fat

When all around is things are going to poo poo, a small beacon of sanity

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's funny how switching to palm oil would have appeased most of those groups, when palm oil production kills far more animals than the half a cow needed for the entire UK banknote supply.

They should introduce a poly £1 note next, and enter into full competition with the Mint's new lovely coin.

Unrelated, what is this poo poo?

Giant flags and general appeals to 'traditionalism' make me immediately think bad things. Is this their brave new "Labour should be about our idealized conception of the traditional working Englishman, and not all this hippy 'queers and Asians have rights' stuff" pitch?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

drat that narrow, all-inclusive progressive politics aimed at all working people!

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

quote:

The hopes of British fishermen that the UK can win its “waters back” post-Brexit are expected to be dashed by the European parliament, despite the campaign promises of Boris Johnson and Nigel Farage, a leaked EU document reveals.

MEPs have drafted seven provisions to be included in Britain’s “exit agreement”, including the stipulation that there will be “no increase to the UK’s share of fishing opportunities for jointly fished stocks (maintaining the existing quota distribution in UK and EU waters)”.

The document, obtained by the Guardian, adds that in order for the UK and EU to keep to commitments on sustainable fishing contained within the United Nations stocks agreement. “It is difficult to see any alternative to the continued application of the common fisheries policy,” it says.

It is estimated that there only about 11,000 people directly employed in fishing in the UK, however the UK’s trawlermen were among the most vocal critics of the EU during the referendum, fuelled by frustration over controls on fishing quotas, which have been blamed on Brussels and the common fisheries policy (CFP).

While calling for control over Britain’s waters, Farage, the then Ukip leader, and the Labour MP Kate Hoey led a small flotilla of fishermen up the Thames days before the EU referendum in June, where they clashed with rival boats led by the singer and political activist Bob Geldof.

During the referendum campaign, Johnson, who is now the foreign secretary, described the CFP as “crazy” and claimed the EU had inflicted a “tragedy” on the industry, halving the number of people working within it.

But the leaked report from the European parliament’s committee on fisheries insists that the “granting of access to the EU domestic market to the UK” post-Brexit should be conditional on Britain continuing to respect the rights and obligations in the CFP.

In a move that will frustrate many in the UK industry, the MEPs also insist that EU vessel-owners should continue to be allowed to manage boats under the UK flag. It has been reported that the Dutch-owned trawler, the Cornelis Vrolijk, accounts for 23% of the English fishing quota.

The document says that as well as “reciprocal access for the EU and UK fleets to the fishing grounds in the UK and the EU waters”, any exit deal must include measures “ensuring the maintenance of the same legal conditions for UK-registered vehicles, without requiring stronger economic links that could virtually make it impossible for EU vessel-owners managing UK flagged vessels to continue operating in the UK”.

The document concludes: “The nature of future EU-UK relations in fisheries needs to be seen in relation to the UK’s ambition in keeping close ties with its European partners and the common market … Every agreement that guarantees UK access to the EU domestic market has to guarantee an access to the UK fishing grounds for the EU fleet.”

The European parliament will make public its red lines a few weeks after Theresa May triggers article 50 negotiations. Each committee has been asked by its leaders for input. The intention is for the documents to aid the EU’s chief Brexit negotiator, Michel Barnier, and the European council in shaping their negotiating position.

The government’s white paper failed to offer any commitments to UK trawlers over the future, despite the sector having a high profile in the referendum campaign. The paper merely noted that “in 2015 EU vessels caught 683,000 tonnes (£484m revenue) in UK waters and UK vessels caught 111,000 tonnes (£114m revenue) in member states’ waters”.

It added: “Given the heavy reliance on UK waters of the EU fishing industry and the importance of EU waters to the UK, it is in both our interests to reach a mutually beneficial deal that works for the UK and the EU’s fishing communities.”
Takin back dat control

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

It's funny how switching to palm oil would have appeased most of those groups, when palm oil production kills far more animals than the half a cow needed for the entire UK banknote supply.

They should introduce a poly £1 note next, and enter into full competition with the Mint's new lovely coin.

Unrelated, what is this poo poo?

Giant flags and general appeals to 'traditionalism' make me immediately think bad things. Is this their brave new "Labour should be about our idealized conception of the traditional working Englishman, and not all this hippy 'queers and Asians have rights' stuff" pitch?

Blue Labour is Tory Labour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Oberleutnant posted:

Blue Labour is Tory Labour.

Red Labour is Tory Labour at this fuckin' point.

• Locked thread