Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

ImpAtom posted:

I know they're not really a 'thing' in current DC but with Captain Marvel going by Shazam have they ever clarified what Mary Marvel and Captain Marvel Jr would be called these days?

They didn't do it for Mary, but one of the first things during the whole 'Freddie powers up his entire family' sequence in the Shazam backups, he says 'Call me King Shazam'.

Can I just say how tired I am of 'character has blood/mud/whatever across them/their clothing that just happens to make it look like their old design'? Zealot's scene there in the first panel immediately makes me go 'ugh'.

KaosMachina fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Feb 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

Woah there. Where are those wrong opinions coming from, friend?

ImpAtom posted:

This except exactly the opposite.

FIGHT ME

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
No, fight ME

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Sounds like it's time for a BSS Great Outdoor Fight.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

WickedHate posted:

Sounds like it's time for a BSS Great Outdoor Fight.

Nah this would require us to be outdoors

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Look man, I'm a nerd. Why does it have to be outside? I hate the sun.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

KaosMachina posted:

They didn't do it for Mary, but one of the first things during the whole 'Freddie powers up his entire family' sequence in the Shazam backups, he says 'Call me King Shazam'.

Oh god, that's both awful and kind of amazing.

(The joke being that Captan Marvel 3 was a major inspiration for Elvis.)

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

FIGHT ME

Look man, I don't fight people who are wrong, I just educate them. With my fists.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Crosspost, but everyone should know there's a miniseries coming for Young Animal about Jack Kirby's Forager, from the Allreds :)
http://www.avclub.com/article/allred-family-pays-tribute-jack-kirby-young-animal-250254

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Feb 14, 2017

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Teenage Fansub posted:

Crosspost, but everyone should know there's a miniseries coming for Young Animal about Jack Kirby's Forager, from the Allreds :)
http://www.avclub.com/article/allred-family-pays-tribute-jack-kirby-young-animal-250254

*punch* HIS! NAME! WAS! FORAGER!!!!

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Oh god, that's both awful and kind of amazing.

(The joke being that Captan Marvel 3 was a major inspiration for Elvis.)

Honestly 'both awful and kind of amazing' is the best summary of that story overall I can honestly give. Even though I personally love it.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Oh hey, so it's going to have its own Apollo & Midnighter. Curious how Jenny's going to work this time round. On the basis of what's happened so far, I'd imagine the spirit of the 21st century could be something really quite ugly...

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Just read it and none of those folks are in yet. It was pretty interesting. Very cold, near-near future type sci-fi. It reminded me a lot of Ellis' Injection.

Flipped through Batwoman and it looks like 90% recap, so we won't have to tell everyone in the world to get Batwoman: Elegy first anymore (though, of course, they should.)

Edit: Apparently in today's Justice League there's some special girl schooling the JLs on DC continuity and Cyborg ends up in LOSH times.
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/02/15/future-dc-universe-batwoman-justice-league-spoilers/

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Feb 15, 2017

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Oh boy

quote:

The character is already starring in the current “I Am Bane” arc of Tom King and David Finch’s “Batman” series, and CBR has the exclusive first word that writer Chuck Dixon and artist Graham Nolan will return to their creation in DC Comics’ upcoming 12-issue series “Bane: Conquest,” scheduled to debut in May.

In “Bane: Conquest,” the title villain will reunite with Bird, Trogg and Zombie, his henchmen that have been mostly missing in action since their introduction in the 1993-1993 “Batman: Knightfall” arc, but who re-surfaced as part of the “I Am Bane” storyline. According to DC’s official description of the series, Bane will take his criminal ambitious out of Gotham, in search of “new cities to conquer and new enemies to crush.”

“Always happy to be reunited with Graham and this is an especially heady experience returning to our most significant contribution to the Batman mythos,” Dixon, who created Bane with Nolan and Doug Moench, said in a statement. “The best aspect of this project is that it’s not a cameo or nostalgia tour for Graham and I. It’s more like we’re back after all this time to work on a truly epic story about Bane and we haven’t lost a step.”

Designed as both a physical and intellectual match for Batman, Bane was first introduced in 1993’s “Batman: Vengeance of Bane” one-shot, which led to his major role in “Knightfall,” which culminated in Bane breaking Batman’s back — one of the most famous images from superhero comics of the 1990s. Unlike many ’90s comic book creations, Bane thrived in subsequent years, with prominent appearances in both the Batman comics and series such as “Secret Six.” Though Bane’s first live-action appearance was a minor role in 1997’s critically maligned “Batman and Robin,” the character was famously and rather uniquely played by Tom Hardy in 2012’s “The Dark Knight Rises” (and people are still impersonating that voice today).

“It’s very exciting to return with Chuck to a character we so love and are so identified with,” Nolan said in a statement, adding that this will be the “ultimate Bane adventure.” “DC has allowed us to return him to his roots, bring back old friends and create new characters that will rock Bane and Batman’s world.”

“Bane: Conquest” also marks the highest-profile superhero comic book work from Dixon or Nolan in years, though the two have collaborated with each other as recently as 2015’s “Shadow Tiger” from Graphic India. Dixon has stated in the past, including in the 2014 Wall Street Journal op-ed “How Liberalism Became Kryptonite for Superman” that he wrote with artist Paul Rivoche, that his position as a conservative comics creator (which has included writing the 2016 graphic novel adaptation of “Clinton Cash,” a book highly critical of Bill and Hillary Clinton) has at times made it difficult for him to get work in the comics industry.

Still using venom, they hosed up the mask's design, Bird is using a loving drone now.

Why DC keeps loving up Bane? :sigh:

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Oh boy

Still using venom, they hosed up the mask's design, Bird is using a loving drone now.

Why DC keeps loving up Bane? :sigh:

Yeah and why is Batman so sad about his dead parents? While we're at it why is the Joker still a crazy clownman?!

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Dreqqus posted:

Yeah and why is Batman so sad about his dead parents? While we're at it why is the Joker still a crazy clownman?!

As I've said many times before, writers are simply lazy when it comes to Bane. He moved from the whole thing pretty fast (and by Dixon no less) after Kinghtfall and remained clean of Venom from the most of his publication history until the N52.

The only reason they keep going back to the junkie, obsessed Bane portrait is because they can't let TDKR go. But hell, they moved the Joker already from his usual characterization. Why not doing the same with Bane?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

gently caress those right wing pieces of poo poo anyway

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Oh no!!!! DC is doing something different you don't like!! The sky is falling!!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

purple death ray posted:

gently caress those right wing pieces of poo poo anyway

It's a shame. I really loved Dixon's DC stuff in the 90's.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

Spoilers for Nightwing!

Of course they spend the whole issue going 'this is someone I could settle down with!' with their new character- who I actually liked!- and then just fridge her at the last page. Of course they do.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Man, I loved seeing Bane's dumbass Knightfall henchmen pop up in Batman.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I know, I know, D_T says stupid poo poo, but can we stop straight up making up reasons to disagree with him? Like it's perfectly reasonable to be annoyed Bane keeps getting mishandled and having his character reverse after every bit of development. It makes getting mad at the actual stupid poo poo D_T says harder when everyone twists themselves around to being as vindictive as possible.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I kinda like the idea that falling back on a venom dependency turns you into the 90's.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WickedHate posted:

I know, I know, D_T says stupid poo poo, but can we stop straight up making up reasons to disagree with him? Like it's perfectly reasonable to be annoyed Bane keeps getting mishandled and having his character reverse after every bit of development. It makes getting mad at the actual stupid poo poo D_T says harder when everyone twists themselves around to being as vindictive as possible.

The problem is, and I've said this before, that Bane as he wants him is a Bane destined to be reverted because it cuts pretty much every distinctive element of the character out. No matter how much you like that change (and believe me, I'm fond of changes) comics are going to revert to the marketable status quo version of the character. For Bane that is the big powerful brute addicted to Venom, because it gives him a distinctive gimmick and niche you won't find elsewhere. It is why every version of Bane has some variation on that, even the drastically different ones.

Yes, it sucks that comics revert a change you like, and I agree with that, but it's like expecting Electric Superman to stick around. Even if you really like Electric Superman it's too different from the character concept to ever remain.

Likewise it's hard to sympathize with D_T because he is 100% okay with changes to characters he doesn't like or doesn't care about. He's only unhappy because it is a character he cares about where elsewise he's made the exact opposite argument and said it's fine that it happened because he didn't care about that character.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Just because the stagnant nature of comics is as it is doesn't mean it should never be complained about. Or at the very least we shouldn't act like someone complaining is, if perhaps overly focused on it and brings it up too much(which I think D_T has like once or twice before?), incorrect simply because they say otherwise stupid stuff. Like I'm not even saying obviously characters should age in real time and poo poo, but like, as soon as D_T says [x] is bad you have people coming out and defending [x] as actually not a problem at all because if D_T doesn't like it must be good.

I'm also fine with pointing out D_T is hypocritical when/if that occurs. But if D_T said if he liked Watchmen I'm pretty sure BSS would compare it unfavorably to Amazons Attack.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I just don't want to read the exact same argument every two weeks like when the last arc to feature Bane was coming out.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Roth posted:

I just don't want to read the exact same argument every two weeks like when the last arc to feature Bane was coming out.

Pretty much this. Any time Bane is in a comic DT comes on here to let us know that this is not his Bane! It is annoying because it happens every time. We know his feelings towards Bane. They aren't going to change. Anything that happens with Bane will be met with a reply of "...but that's not what Bane means to me" over and over again and it gets tiresome and annoying hearing it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Harper Row will help him kick venom and he'll be on the Detective Comics team.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Teenage Fansub posted:

Maybe he can become a gym teacher at Gotham Academy.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
The best Bane was Secret Six Bane. :colbert:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Last time this conversation came up I suggested that they just turn Bane into El Santo. I was really only half joking, I'd 100% read that.

Madkal posted:

Maybe he can become a gym teacher at Gotham Academy.

gently caress, I'd read that too. I need to catch up on all sorts of comics.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Mr Hootington posted:

The best Bane was Secret Six Bane. :colbert:

Bat Bane was hilariously ludicrous.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Teenage Fansub posted:

Quit playing games with my heart

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

purple death ray posted:

Quit playing games with my heart

Batman and Bane Eternal comes first, so it'll be a few years.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Speaking of permanent changes to characters? Green Lanterns #17 was a really, really, really good issue. I don't know if my summarizing can actually do it justice, but basically Batman confronts Simon with some harsh truths about his reliance on his gun...it's suggested that Simon isn't actually afraid that the ring will fail him, but that he himself will fail to protect his family and friends from all the poo poo in the world that's out to get them. The ring depends on Simon being reliable, the gun doesn't, and that's why he favors the gun.

Or rather, favored, because ultimately he chooses to use the ring instead of the gun here to blow up the big fear-inducing machine and save the day. Then he decide that he's going to stop carrying the gun from now on, because Green Lanterns don't need it. I immediately appreciate the character ten times more than I used to, and apparently Batman does too because he then says that Simon is a GL that he can truly work with, unlike Hal or Guy.

It's especially nice because at first you think this arc was just going to end the same way these arcs always do when two different heroes have conflicting philosophies, with both parties going "You and I may have different methods, but through the course of our adventures we've come to see each other's sides! My methods works for me and yours works for you! EVERYTHING IS EQUAL! STATUS QUOS FOREVER, YAY!" Nope, Simon's methods were just wrong here and Batman was right to chew him out, and from now on Simon's methods are going to be different.

(It's also kind of a funny moment because Simon makes this big grand moment of giving up the gun by handing it over to Batman and Batman's like "...I don't want that." And Jim Gordon takes it instead :xd:)

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I mean I was never ever going to read a Bane book anyway, but definitely not by Chuck Dixon of all people in the year 2017. That's just laughable. I mean has he written anything other than a bunch of lovely GI Joe comics in the last 15 years? Robin and Nightwing were a long time ago.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I would absolutely read a Bane book, are you kidding me? (but also, yeah, not by Chuck Dixon)

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Bane is fine in a supporting or villain role. I don't need a solo book for him though.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
N.B. When I pseudo-defended the whole "not my Bane" thing earlier I somehow missed that the fact that the story invalidates all of the development Chuck Dixon put into the character and that fucks up the original design by Graham Nolan was coming from an announcement about a new Bane series by Chuck Dixon and Graham Nolan.

But yeah, I know people (myself included) complain about creators' politics but Chuck "Clinton Cash/giving Milo interviews about how lovely and PC the comics industry" Dixon is kind of beyond the pale. It would be beyond the pale if he was '67 Jack Kirby but it's even worse when yeah, he was a marginally above replacement superhero writer 20 years ago who has sort of hosed around doing toy tie-in comics for the past decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I know everyone is different, but even though I vehemently disagree with his politics I don't tend to hold that against creators. If it seeps into a book and I don't like it I'll stop reading it. I don't want to read a Chuck Dixon book in 2017 because I think it'll be really bad, not because I disagree with him on pretty much everything.