Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
I have a problem, DW thread.

My players ended up in a pirate port town, killed some notable captains, got a mission to kill a sea monster, decided to free some slaves and form their own crew, and buy a ship. I gave them a couple choices between something fast and maneueverable, and something heavy and robust, and mocked up some ship stats to make the choice look concrete. Then I had the stupid idea of having them roll ship stats for moves like Defy Danger (roll +Speed to get somewhere fast!), until someone rolled a 6- and I asked "so who gets the XP?" and everyone unanimously said "the ship!". So now I'm making a playbook for a loving pirate ship with custom stats and moves and advance moves and everything. Anyway, I could use some feedback:

I have four stats and a basic move for each stat, and Broadside so far is just a reskinned Hack & Slash, maybe it could be more interesting. Instead of alignment we have Flag, instead of race we have Ship Design (or possibly Sail-Plan, I don't know enough about ships), but maybe that should be a unique race-like move/feature instead of a stat array, I dunno. There'll probably be play-testing and refining of this thing when I get back together with the group on Monday, but I'd welcome any initial impressions.

I have some blank bullet points for the moves and I'm not 100% certain on the ones that I've come up with so far. If anyone has any ideas for these moves, or for new moves that might be relevant, I'm all ears. I'm probably gonna rip off gnome7's The Captain for many of the advances, because that's a great playbook with a load of nice ideas.

Maybe instead of ship design (which can just be articulated through stat choices/assignments), the Race equivalent should be Crew type (which is currently a Look option), so a professional crew is different to a cutthroat crew is different to a loyal crew, or whatever. I don't think Bonds make sense but maybe that should be a way of naming interesting crew members and keeping them persistently in the fiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
With Tack to the Wind, I guess you could add a bullet about maintaining your speed? Tacking (I get the move doesn't literally represent that) is a manoeuvre where you pull the bow through the direction the wind is blowing from and if it's not done right the ship literally stops, so you could have them choose whether they prefer to know where they are and how fast they are going.

With Scurvy Dogs, maybe add a bullet about one of the players (or all of the players) being exposed to danger?

I suppose you could put in moves about navigating in extreme circumstances - or maybe a move that allows the players to force the enemy to be where they want them?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Check out and liberally plunder Inverse World's Captain playbook, and maybe even Apocalypse World (preferably 2e's) vehicle rules.

You could really just give the ship a Str, Dex, Con stat as well, and then apply the basic moves to it, and give the Int,Wis,Cha to whoever's in control at that moment. No need to reinvent the wheel, although the stuff that's been established is pretty solid.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

rumble in the bunghole posted:

You could really just give the ship a Str, Dex, Con stat as well, and then apply the basic moves to it, and give the Int,Wis,Cha to whoever's in control at that moment. No need to reinvent the wheel, although the stuff that's been established is pretty solid.

This is much more sensible than what I actually did, but I'm committed pretty hard now so I may as well finish this stupid drat playbook. So far I've written it for the use of the whole party (like the gang playbooks in Blades in the Dark, say), but maybe it could be used in a future game if some weird player wants to be the actual ship instead of a person, I dunno.

Is there a link to the apoc world vehicle rules anywhere, or will I need to buy the book?

Tevery Best posted:

With Tack to the Wind, I guess you could add a bullet about maintaining your speed? Tacking (I get the move doesn't literally represent that) is a manoeuvre where you pull the bow through the direction the wind is blowing from and if it's not done right the ship literally stops, so you could have them choose whether they prefer to know where they are and how fast they are going.

With Scurvy Dogs, maybe add a bullet about one of the players (or all of the players) being exposed to danger?

I suppose you could put in moves about navigating in extreme circumstances - or maybe a move that allows the players to force the enemy to be where they want them?

This is a good idea. I re-did Scurvy Dogs to be more specifically about boarding action though, and left the previous move as something to be used with Defy Danger +Crew.

Update:

The move I'm least happy with so far is Batten Down the Hatches. I want some way of representing the 'power through danger' or Defend-esque move, and later on I want a Ramming move that adds "deal your ship's damage to whoever you hit" as an option to that list, but the base move isn't very interesting as it stands.

Next up I'll do Advance Moves, which I probably won't share in full because a lot of them will be copied wholesale from Inverse World and I don't want to undermine gnome7's work. Instead of Load the ship will have Hold (something like 8 + your Range) for transporting provisions and other cargo, and some weaponry/crew options for customisation.

e: I should clarify I know next to nothing about sailing or seamanship or accurate classification of 18th century ship types, but I don't consider that important to pretending to be pirates in an elf game

e2: Also I probably shouldn't use the word 'Hold' as a new game mechanic

Boing fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Feb 11, 2017

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Boing posted:

The move I'm least happy with so far is Batten Down the Hatches. I want some way of representing the 'power through danger' or Defend-esque move, and later on I want a Ramming move that adds "deal your ship's damage to whoever you hit" as an option to that list, but the base move isn't very interesting as it stands.

Next up I'll do Advance Moves, which I probably won't share in full because a lot of them will be copied wholesale from Inverse World and I don't want to undermine gnome7's work. Instead of Load the ship will have Hold (something like 8 + your Range) for transporting provisions and other cargo, and some weaponry/crew options for customisation.

e: I should clarify I know next to nothing about sailing or seamanship or accurate classification of 18th century ship types, but I don't consider that important to pretending to be pirates in an elf game

e2: Also I probably shouldn't use the word 'Hold' as a new game mechanic

Maybe your sail-plans add an option to a basic move instead? That's closer to the way race/background actually work.

You can call ship-weight "cargo" (crew rations: 5 uses, 1-cargo) and just have the max be "capacity".

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Dead in the Water doesn't have a story-based trigger. It probably should.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
What were the recommended replacement playbooks for the core classes? Asking for a group of players who want to start playing the system.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

gnome7 posted:

Dungeon World Content Mega-Post - Updated 5/28
Fenarisk's revised Core playbooks

^^ This is what I have used in the past, lately my groups have been mixes of dw/grim world/inverse world. It's been eclectic but fun.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

Boing posted:

I have a problem, DW thread.

My players ended up in a pirate port town, killed some notable captains, got a mission to kill a sea monster, decided to free some slaves and form their own crew, and buy a ship. I gave them a couple choices between something fast and maneueverable, and something heavy and robust, and mocked up some ship stats to make the choice look concrete. Then I had the stupid idea of having them roll ship stats for moves like Defy Danger (roll +Speed to get somewhere fast!), until someone rolled a 6- and I asked "so who gets the XP?" and everyone unanimously said "the ship!". So now I'm making a playbook for a loving pirate ship with custom stats and moves and advance moves and everything. Anyway, I could use some feedback:

I have four stats and a basic move for each stat, and Broadside so far is just a reskinned Hack & Slash, maybe it could be more interesting. Instead of alignment we have Flag, instead of race we have Ship Design (or possibly Sail-Plan, I don't know enough about ships), but maybe that should be a unique race-like move/feature instead of a stat array, I dunno. There'll probably be play-testing and refining of this thing when I get back together with the group on Monday, but I'd welcome any initial impressions.

I have some blank bullet points for the moves and I'm not 100% certain on the ones that I've come up with so far. If anyone has any ideas for these moves, or for new moves that might be relevant, I'm all ears. I'm probably gonna rip off gnome7's The Captain for many of the advances, because that's a great playbook with a load of nice ideas.

Maybe instead of ship design (which can just be articulated through stat choices/assignments), the Race equivalent should be Crew type (which is currently a Look option), so a professional crew is different to a cutthroat crew is different to a loyal crew, or whatever. I don't think Bonds make sense but maybe that should be a way of naming interesting crew members and keeping them persistently in the fiction.

I can't see the images for your ship playbook at work, but my PBTA misfits and spaceships hack has a playbook for the crew's ship.

The stable current version, Impulse Drive 3.0 can be found here on Drivethru. This version is stable, but has a lot of interlocking systems. The Ship is practically another game layered on top of the player character game.

The latest in progress version is Impulse Drive 3.1. It's not totally complete yet, but the ships are simpler in a lot of ways. The settings are very different of course, but feel free to plunder it for ideas.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Boing posted:

I asked "so who gets the XP?" and everyone unanimously said "the ship!". So now I'm making a playbook for a loving pirate ship with custom stats and moves and advance moves and everything.

This is the best thing. I can't wait to see how it turns out in the end.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
So I think I figured out a solution to the "How the hell do I best convey different species in addition to classes" problem I was having a few months ago. I decided to give each of the twelve or so species I've come up with four unique moves each and allow players to choose two of them. Now I just need to come up with 48 different moves :suicide:

Anybody have any ideas as to what sort of moves I could give to giant, communist preying mantises, a genetically modified near-human servitor race, centaurs or near humans that are covered in tentacles?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Hallucinogens.

"Holy gently caress there's a spider with a human face crawling on your arm, what do you do?"

Thanks for this suggestion, it turned out real fun, especially since the actual boss of the dungeon was a hosed up lady crawling all over the ceilings and walls

"You see something out of the corner of your eye, it looks like ghoul of a woman, crawling on the cieling. She goes through a door at the end of the hall"

"Which door?"

"All three of them"

Good times

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

KingKalamari posted:

So I think I figured out a solution to the "How the hell do I best convey different species in addition to classes" problem I was having a few months ago. I decided to give each of the twelve or so species I've come up with four unique moves each and allow players to choose two of them. Now I just need to come up with 48 different moves :suicide:

Anybody have any ideas as to what sort of moves I could give to giant, communist preying mantises, a genetically modified near-human servitor race, centaurs or near humans that are covered in tentacles?

Just use the Heritage Moves rules from the Planarch Codex - Dark Heart of the Dreamer. I'm pretty sure it's available for free.

Edit: Sorry, that was a bit dismissive. I think the Planarch Codex rules will save a lot of work though, and will give the effect you are after.

thefakenews fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Feb 14, 2017

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Boing posted:

... The Ship ...

This is amazing. I love it so far.

Boing posted:

This is much more sensible than what I actually did, but I'm committed pretty hard now so I may as well finish this stupid drat playbook...

Please do. Just because there's a more vanilla-way to do something doesn't mean you should do it that way. This is far more evocative and captures an important part of the setting/story.

Your players expressed that they wanted The Ship to be a big deal, and you listened. Awesome! :bravo:

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
The best part of this approach is you can play as a sentient boat now.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

The best part of this approach is you can play as a sentient boat now.

If I wasn't balls deep in three different freelancing projects at the moment, I'd write up a bunch of playbooks with all kinds of sentient ships.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Some more progress:

I also want to add a Make Port move, to supplement the players' Make Camp move, where you can repair half the ship's damage if you spend a day moored near land, and all the ship's damage if you're in a proper harbour)

I'm happier with Batten Down the Hatches this way, and it ties into the Jury Rigging advance, but right now Anchors Aweigh is pretty awkward, because "you have to stop for provisions" doesn't mesh with provisions being an actual Ration-like item that you have. I'm also not sure about making the players choose between danger and slow-going - how does the move look with just those two options? Should there be a third one? Should it be 'choose only on a 7-9', or the GM always choosing?

Should Scurvy Dogs be more general? Boarding action is pretty specific and is restricted to the pirate lifestyle, and you probably want a move for having your crew deal with fighting sea monsters or whatever.

e: Also, thoughts on replacing all instances of 'Your ship' with 'You', i.e., 'You are fearsomely bedecked with cannons'? Too weird, or just right?

Boing fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Feb 15, 2017

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

Boing posted:

Some more progress:

I also want to add a Make Port move, to supplement the players' Make Camp move, where you can repair half the ship's damage if you spend a day moored near land, and all the ship's damage if you're in a proper harbour)

I'm happier with Batten Down the Hatches this way, and it ties into the Jury Rigging advance, but right now Anchors Aweigh is pretty awkward, because "you have to stop for provisions" doesn't mesh with provisions being an actual Ration-like item that you have. I'm also not sure about making the players choose between danger and slow-going - how does the move look with just those two options? Should there be a third one? Should it be 'choose only on a 7-9', or the GM always choosing?

Should Scurvy Dogs be more general? Boarding action is pretty specific and is restricted to the pirate lifestyle, and you probably want a move for having your crew deal with fighting sea monsters or whatever.

e: Also, thoughts on replacing all instances of 'Your ship' with 'You', i.e., 'You are fearsomely bedecked with cannons'? Too weird, or just right?

On the moves, shouldn't you be doing e.g. roll+SPD, instead of roll+Speed?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I made a new playbook, The Hexer, which is basically just a Witcher with the serial numbers filed off. I'm pretty proud of the way I handled oils and potions (like spells, prepared on rests and with a new one learned every level), and it comes with a new death move

Nemesis Of Moles fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Feb 17, 2017

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Remember that game of races-as-classes I mentioned a while back? Boy oh boy is it turning to be one hell of a ride. From the get go, party roles were enforced - I had to take a tank-ish class/race combo because the party was missing a tank. Players do not mark XP for misses because the GM doesn't like the idea of rewarding players for being lovely at the game - instead he gives EXP on 10s and appropriate roleplaying. He also eliminated like half of the classes from Class Warfare because they sounded OP - he told us to pick two archetypes, I was planning to make a Wielder - Armiger, he told me he didn't like the idea of people pulling weapons out of nowhere or having a powerful single weapon because it was unrealistic, and when I said "okay, give me a Veteran" he said "no, you're all supposed to be amnesiac adventurers who completely forgot how to fight" - then he started to erase choices till I could only pick Defender/Bodyguard). He said we could pick Armiger, Exorcist, etc. if we wanted to but he wouldn't allow us to use any class moves till the end of the campaign.
We can also only use our basic moves (Hack&Slash, Volley, Parley) till we train our racial features. This is accomplished by grinding for cash then spending the cash on moves, rinse and repeat.
He's also planning to eventually do a PvP event between two groups of players, but mostly as a way of punishing the second group for picking "boring races" so he's power-leveling us so we can, in his words, "whoop their asses". It's like RPGs bring out the very worst in him.

And every now and then he wonders why I skip RPG nights.

Azran fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Feb 17, 2017

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Oh and to ensure all roles were filled up he made a rogue character so he's effectively also running a DMPC. Best part is that since I had to leave before the first session he told me I'd be picking whatever the others (who were staying) didn't want. The others made a monk, a cleric, a mage and he made the rogue so I was left with the tank. I mean I wasn't allowed to play Wielder-Arsenal but the rest of the party gets:

Shadowmancer - Prepared Ritualist
Embodiment - Sacred Lamb
Assassin - Shadow
Martial Hero - Strongarm

That one guy gets to bind shadows to his binding and another gets to be the physical manifestation of a deity isn't an issue. But someone who can pull four weapons or more out of his backpack? Oh no, sorry, too imbalanced.

Funnily enough he thinks 4e is the best D&D edition but he hates heroic style rpgs.

Azran fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Feb 17, 2017

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Azran posted:

instead he gives EXP on 10s and appropriate roleplaying. ... "no, you're all supposed to be amnesiac adventurers who completely forgot how to fight" - then he started to erase choices till I could only pick Defender/Bodyguard). He said we could pick Armiger, Exorcist, etc. if we wanted to but he wouldn't allow us to use any class moves till the end of the campaign.
We can also only use our basic moves (Hack&Slash, Volley, Parley) till we train our racial features. ... grinding for cash ... planning to eventually do a PvP event

why are you in this group

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Azran posted:

And every now and then he wonders why I skip RPG nights.

I'm wondering why you ever attend RPG nights.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I just got told my character became mute during the session I was absent and its permanent and we are using 10+con mod for hp instead of straight stat so we can actually die

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Azran posted:

I just got told my character became mute during the session I was absent and its permanent and we are using 10+con mod for hp instead of straight stat so we can actually die

Did this guy save you and now you owe him a life debt or something because goddamn why are you still playing with him?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
So far he has apparently made every possible mistake you can do without involving sex or politics.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I got bait and switched into thinking this would be DW. I'm in the middle of the session - we are making spot-checks btw, he thinks Discern Realities and anything that forces the gm to answer questions is kinda too OP.

We are using a grid for movement and we have to defy danger whenever we move around a city to paasively avoid ambushes

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Azran posted:

I got bait and switched into thinking this would be DW. I'm in the middle of the session - we are making spot-checks btw, he thinks Discern Realities and anything that forces the gm to answer questions is kinda too OP.

We are using a grid for movement and we have to defy danger whenever we move around a city to paasively avoid ambushes

As this point you may as well bring out a d20 and ask him if you're supposed to roll for initiative the next time you get into a fight.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Oh yay a dragon with 150hp!

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I ask again why

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Azran posted:

Oh yay a dragon with 150hp!

Dragons in DW can have as little as 16 HP

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I've known them for six years. They are just awful when playing rpgs. They mostly play 3.5 but they prompted me to join saying they wanted to test DW. Never again.

Also we wiped and the gm wants us to reroll.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Azran posted:

I've known them for six years. They are just awful when playing rpgs. They mostly play 3.5 but they prompted me to join saying they wanted to test DW. Never again.

Offer to run DW for them, and do it right?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Azran posted:

so they are trying to turn DW into 3.5 I guess

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

This is what I did for my friends. They seemed to like it after having played, to my knowledge, mostly 3.5 and PF, though I had to move away and I don't think they went back to DW afterwards. That said, I think they now play 4e, so progress!

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
I've also experienced that. The first group I played DW with online pretty much played it as 3.5 with 2d6+Stat instead of d20+Stat. No rolling initative though, it was even worse than that: the group had understood the game having no rules for initiative order as meaning that whoever shouted the loudest could take a turn first; there was no back and forth or the GM passing the spotlight to different players, just pure chaos. Oh, and absolutely no actual description going into anything.

Also, as a consequence of this, the opposition was for the most part just staying still and having the players wail on them: the GM had somehow assumed that they could only ever make moves when a player rolled a 6-, so for the most part the opposition just stood still and waited for the players to fail before making attacks (unless of course they managed to deal damage as a consequence of the hack and slash).

And this seques nicely to this:

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

I did this with the aforementioned group and they actually enjoyed it. Of course I didn't frame it as "You've been playing this game wrong and I'm going to run it right for you!", I just offered to run a game for them and then I ran it like it was supposed to. It was a hell of a campaign, but sadly it didn't last for too long.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I'm still so, so glad me and my RPG group were all first-timers when we started, so we played D&D 4e for a few sessions before going "this is kinda not freestyle enough" and then playing DW right and never looking back.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
This is actually one of my problems with DW (vice AW proper): it's get just enough of the lovely cruft of D&D to fool people into entirely missing the point of how PbtA games are supposed to work. This game that Azran is in sounds like straight-up fodder for the cat-piss thread.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ilor posted:

This is actually one of my problems with DW (vice AW proper): it's get just enough of the lovely cruft of D&D to fool people into entirely missing the point of how PbtA games are supposed to work. This game that Azran is in sounds like straight-up fodder for the cat-piss thread.

You raise an interesting point. You probably wouldn't think of adding an initiative system or a strict turn order or a skill-check-DC system (or whatever) to Apocalypse World, because you wouldn't be projecting your feelings for D&D onto something that's so clearly completely different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Seriously, take that guy's DW book away from him and explain to him what he's doing wrong.