Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

I haven't been watching Gumball for a while, what happened in the first week?

Well.

1. The family indirectly murders their Chinese bootlegs
2. Gumball and Sarah try to help Darwin stop eating potatoes and send Idaho to him in his crazed withdrawal
3. Richard gets the current date tattooed on his rear end to remember his wedding anniversary that Nicole got mad at him for forgetting, but it turns out she got the date wrong
4. The family treats Richard's dad like a prisoner when he comes over to their house under the mistaken assumption that he had spent Richard's childhood behind bars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Man that potato song was amazing

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Finished off Regular Show Season 8. It wasn't great but a shot in the arm for the show. The ending was rushed but did something for me. I had forgotten how good of a song "Heroes" was. Overall I don't know what to say about Regular Show.

Next cartoon binge is Canonical Best Television Animation The Amazing World of Gumball (seriously, my expectations are sky-high!)

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

DoubleCakes posted:

Next cartoon binge is Canonical Best Television Animation The Amazing World of Gumball (seriously, my expectations are sky-high!)

You might wanna lower your (non-visual) expectations for season 1

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Yeah, Gumball has a quality build up, Season 1 is pretty eh, as are small bits of season 2.

The recent JRPG episode was loving amazing, by the way. Too good.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
JRPG episode? Gonna have to check that one out, what's the title?

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

It's called The Console, I don't know if it aired yet but it's on CN's website/app.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It doesn't officially air until the 16th, but I think it's on VOD/the app now.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I started rewatching Gumball recently, and yeah, season 1 is a bit different from how the rest of the show is. The characters seem a lot younger, and Gumball hasn't yet been defined as a jerk to contrast properly with Darwin, and a few other characters are lacking the characterization they would later get.

Still, the whole show is a masterpiece if you're a fan of animation with all the different contrasting styles, and season 1 still has the best Mr. Robinson moment.

I also love when they let slip britishisms. They try really hard to suppress the fact that the show is produced in Britain, but they'll still do something like call a trash can a bin occasionally.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

SlothfulCobra posted:

I started rewatching Gumball recently, and yeah, season 1 is a bit different from how the rest of the show is. The characters seem a lot younger, and Gumball hasn't yet been defined as a jerk to contrast properly with Darwin, and a few other characters are lacking the characterization they would later get.

Still, the whole show is a masterpiece if you're a fan of animation with all the different contrasting styles, and season 1 still has the best Mr. Robinson moment.

I also love when they let slip britishisms. They try really hard to suppress the fact that the show is produced in Britain, but they'll still do something like call a trash can a bin occasionally.

Yeah since Gumball isn't a jerk in season 1(for the most part) it makes the whole "everyone and everything in the universe uses him as a punching bag" aspect of the show a lot harder to tolerate(especially since they're a lot more aggressive about it in season 1 in many respects) since it often feels mean instead of funny

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I finished a watch of season 1 of Star this weekend.

I know there was a line between episode 1 and the finale, but I still had a hard time believing that the same show that gave episode 1 gave the finale.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Senerio posted:

I finished a watch of season 1 of Star this weekend.

I know there was a line between episode 1 and the finale, but I still had a hard time believing that the same show that gave episode 1 gave the finale.

I was taken back by how well-developed the characters became even with a mostly episodic format. Star at the end of Season 1 is completely different from when we first saw her (and without spoilers, she'll be even more different in Season 2). I'm continually impressed by how the writers pay attention to detail and characters keep evolving even when they're farting around in random adventures.

Speaking of which, last night's Star Vs. episode was pretty lightweight in terms of story development, but still did some fun things with a time loop.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Darwin has a girlfriend :3:

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
Just saw this clip of Sonic Boom, I never know if this is actually a good show or if it just has moments of brilliance.

https://twitter.com/seclusiveblue/status/831342938986774529

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Where was this writing team when the game was being made?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Darwin has a girlfriend :3:

Who'd he end up with?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

Who'd he end up with?

Carrie!

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Nice, had been in favor of that since the Halloween episode when Darwin kissed her, honestly kinda surprised how long it took for them to follow up on that

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I think this song has cemented Gumball as being Extremely Good, to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaN-hdI8ktM

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Gann Jerrod posted:

Just saw this clip of Sonic Boom, I never know if this is actually a good show or if it just has moments of brilliance.

I saw the writer of this scene tweeting this and I'm pretty sure from his comments that the last line was definitely a reference to the time Chris Chan pepper sprayed a guy at a gamestop because they changed the colours of Sonic's arms.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Waffleman_ posted:

Where was this writing team when the game was being made?

they were credited under "additional writing" (presumably minor side quest stuff), but the actual head writer on the game never wrote for the show
:goonsay:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
The writing is far from the worst thing about the game, anyway.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The writer for the Sonic archie comic has also written at least one episode.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

The writer for the Sonic archie comic has also written at least one episode.

plus this saturday's episode. An artist for the comics who's also written a few issues (Evan Stanley) is confirmed to be writing a single episode in the future as well

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Pakled posted:

The writing is far from the worst thing about the game, anyway.
I watched an LP of Sonic Boom where the LPer played through it the whole way through in one recording, unpatched. I was amazed by the amount of meta jokes and seemingly self-aware jokes that were in it.

Still better than Sonic 2006, though.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Gann Jerrod posted:

That's a good question, the answer is "yes".

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, Sonic Boom is kind of hit or miss but when it hits it's really good (probably my second favorite Sonic cartoon after Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog as those were the only two that realized this is not a concept you need to take seriously).

Speaking of the older cartoons I've always wondered, what exactly was wrong with Robotnik's classic design that they felt they had to change it for the American cartoons (though Sonic Underground was technically a French production that got dubbed)?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Most of the Sonic cartoons are at least okay. Not the musical themed one where he suddenly has siblings like Ken Penders is writing the plot, but all of the others were decent.

They'd all be better if it was mostly about Sonic and Robotnik, with other characters only periodically dropping in, but oh well.

Larryb posted:

what exactly was wrong with Robotnik's classic design that they felt they had to change it

Doesn't look like it would animate well, is my guess. The games only had Robotnik moving when he runs to his mech in Sonic 2, and it looked very silly.
Another guess is that Sega told animators that he looks like he does because in Japan he's called Eggman, like the lyric from "I Am The Walrus", and is shaped like an egg and wears John Lennon's glasses and has a walrus mustache because Beatles; but in America he's called Robotnik so you can do a bald fat guy with the mustache and take creative liberty on everything else.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Wait, he had a hand in that nonsense?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

ConanThe3rd posted:

Wait, he had a hand in that nonsense?

No, but Ken Penders is known for how he managed to legitimize the Original Character Do Not Steel thing. He has a whole universe of ancillary third party characters, but even after he's disconnected all ties from Sonic, his OC universe still revolves around the characters who are practically nothing if not their relation to a Sega character before the big falling out.

He had exactly one good idea, to make a Sonic clone that was unrepentantly evil and not a secret ally ala Knuckles/Shadow, but after he left another writer used that character even better than he did so he started making legal threats that he took his fanfic characters with him.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
I'm noticing Ladybug merchandise in toy stores around where I work (London). I'm guessing the show is either getting some slots in UK or it's probably getting a second season.

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

Gumball sure goes into some wierd directions.
https://youtu.be/OfeVj1iKu4w

thelaughingman fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Feb 16, 2017

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

ConanThe3rd posted:

That's a good question, the answer is "yes".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6mzBjFtcBc

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Uncle Kitchener posted:

I'm noticing Ladybug merchandise in toy stores around where I work (London). I'm guessing the show is either getting some slots in UK or it's probably getting a second season.

Second season premieres in a couple months.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Senerio posted:

Second season premieres in a couple months.

So is it not going to be on cable at all this time? Are they dropping the whole season at once on Netflix or what, because I'm sort of planning for one month when that and the next season of House of Cards are dumped on there and I can subscribe for one month and binge and then cancel.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
It's moved to a channel watched by more than three people at least.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Craptacular! posted:

So is it not going to be on cable at all this time? Are they dropping the whole season at once on Netflix or what, because I'm sort of planning for one month when that and the next season of House of Cards are dumped on there and I can subscribe for one month and binge and then cancel.

It will not be on Nickelodeon this season. They said the first half of the season will be dropped on netflix in June.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

I'm rolling

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Senerio posted:

It will not be on Nickelodeon this season. They said the first half of the season will be dropped on netflix in June.

Specifically in the U.S., every other region will do business as usual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Speaking of Miraculous:

http://miraculousdaily.tumblr.com/post/157297911756/ladyofacat-marinettes-nickname-for-adrien-in-10