Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

The farther out you can look at places and sign leases the better, in the more crowded college towns the really good value spots all get leases signed before January for the following August.

If you're going to college in Kansas or some poo poo I'm sure this is absolutely not true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Just got this email from a vendor at my (2014!) wedding:

quote:

Dear [pig slut lisa],

I can't begin to say how embarrassed I am to be emailing you so long after the fact, but we never did receive payment for the order we delivered for you at [Crazy Larry's Wedding Venue] on [XX/XX/XX]. It seems that we got your credit card information, but the card did not go through, and then dropped the ball on following up for payment.

I understand that this very overdue but I would really appreciate if you could provide payment.

Fortunately I put all my wedding charges on the same Chase credit card that's still active, so I went back to my online statements and found proof that my credit card had been charged by his business in the appropriate amount. No chargebacks or other cancellations on that or subsequent statements. I cropped that portion of the statement and sent it back, saying I had paid.

The reply:

quote:

Thank you so much for getting back to me so quickly. It's a relief to know that we did in fact get paid. The general manager left around the time of your event, so as you can tell some transaction records are sketchy.

Regardless, thank you so much and I apologize for the awkward email.

Honest mistake? Scam? Who knows! Good reminder of the importance of recordkeeping, in any event.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

pig slut lisa posted:

Honest mistake? Scam? Who knows! Good reminder of the importance of recordkeeping, in any event.

Using YNAB has been stellar for me for this kind of stuff. Don't know how I got by without it before.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

pig slut lisa posted:

The audacity to put the burden on an individual for a 3 year old (~*@ wedding @*~) debt is pretty infuriating, actually.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Yeah, I'd probably post that on the Google Reviews or something at the very least.

That's insane and you know if you had not been able to produce that, he would've tried to get you to pay it again.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

https://twitter.com/boring_as_heck/status/831034658930323456

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Things with no value: food

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I’ve been at my firm since October 2016 and plan on bailing in mid-2017. Goal is to pivot hard out of this editing and qualitative research role and into something data-related.

In the meantime, however, my company has these grand plans to send me for this costly training program in the next few months. It certifies me in some crap that has no application or notability in the positions/industries I’m moving towards. They handpicked me out of like a dozen team members.

Mostly I’m worried about burning my bridges with the company by leaving very soon after getting the job. I tried to politely turn down the offer but couldn’t insist without looking suspicious. It’s a silly situation to be in.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Vegetable posted:

I’ve been at my firm since October 2016 and plan on bailing in mid-2017. Goal is to pivot hard out of this editing and qualitative research role and into something data-related.

In the meantime, however, my company has these grand plans to send me for this costly training program in the next few months. It certifies me in some crap that has no application or notability in the positions/industries I’m moving towards. They handpicked me out of like a dozen team members.

Mostly I’m worried about burning my bridges with the company by leaving very soon after getting the job. I tried to politely turn down the offer but couldn’t insist without looking suspicious. It’s a silly situation to be in.

You could be honest with them about your trajectory, ask them to send you something useful instead like a masters in supply chain or an MBA or a JD? If they think you're cutting the mustard, they might be willing to dedicate real resources your way?

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

SpelledBackwards posted:

Things with no value: food

I guess he lives off of soylent green?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Well duh, not sure why everyone doesn't follow his advice. I wanted to make $5,000 weekly, so I did. It's all about spacestar ordering. It's also why I have a helicopter. Explain THAT, science. :colbert:

Proposition Castle
Aug 9, 2004
Witty message goes here.

Vegetable posted:

Much like the crow in the meme your employer would sell you to satan for one corn chip. I wouldn't worry about it.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

pig slut lisa posted:

I had a landlord that tried to pull this with the utility bills every once in awhile. Boy was it great sending them the copy of the cashed checks that US Bank kept on file. They all had nice big endorsement stamps on the back. Dude was a loving scumbag.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
I'd like to vent about job burnout for a second.

I work for a really good company (like always in the top 5 companies to work for nationwide level good), and yes they treat all their employees great and it is an awesome job. Still, I've been here for 7 years and am just starting to stagnate. My position isn't one that is just daily business dealings, but requires independent driven research and I'm not finding it in myself lately to have the sort of drive I need.

Essentially I'm finding myself in a situation where I'm trying my best to force it everyday, but I'm slowly feeling the jaws coming down. I have enough emergency funds for a year saved up essentially, and I'm not worried about finding another job (would probably pay significantly less but we live a cheap lifestyle on purpose for that reason). Is there any reason to not keep trying to force it and push forward until they finally tell me I'm done?

The other bit of information is that I've felt like I'm on the verge of being let go for about 2 years now. I did get "The Talk" a year ago saying my performance needs to improve, but it has for now. I just don't have the drive any more that I used to, but I would hate to cut out on what will probably be my biggest paychecks I ever get too prematurely.

Just looking for some perspective here.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Switch positions within your company. 7 years of experience will help anywhere you go.

e: that was rude, sorry. Naw man, it's totally normal to get burned out. Happens all the time. Usually, the solution is to do something different -- and preferably a job that aligns with what makes you energized! Is it working with people? Mastery over a subject? Do you like to have a few close coworkers or be a part of a large group? etc etc

DNK fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Feb 15, 2017

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

DNK posted:

Switch positions within your company. 7 years of experience will help anywhere you go.
That was my first thought as well. My first real job was amazing then I switched to another role in the same company and it sucked the motivation out of me in about a year and a half. Different roles on different teams can leave vastly different impressions on the employee.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

DNK posted:

That's part of the problem, I've switched teams a lot, the nature of my job has meant that I've supported projects for a year or 2 and then moved on to support a different one. The issue is that they are looking for me to make promotion which involves not moving any more for a while. It is not an option for me until then. I definitely do my best work when helping new teams though.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Have you thought about taking your expertise into consulting? It sounds like you've got the skills to pay the bills and a significant amount of experience along those lines. Maybe working for yourself would be just the motivation you need to kick-start your life?

Alternatively, on the personal front do you feel like you're making progress? A lot of my unhappiness at prior jobs was actually just actual unhappiness, and when I got parts of my personal life under control everything at work fell into line quite nicely.

Thanks for your openness, I always like when people share stuff like this.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Have you thought about taking your expertise into consulting? It sounds like you've got the skills to pay the bills and a significant amount of experience along those lines. Maybe working for yourself would be just the motivation you need to kick-start your life?

Alternatively, on the personal front do you feel like you're making progress? A lot of my unhappiness at prior jobs was actually just actual unhappiness, and when I got parts of my personal life under control everything at work fell into line quite nicely.

Thanks for your openness, I always like when people share stuff like this.

Personal issues have compounded things for sure. My lowest productivity (the past two years) has coincided with my first (and only) kid being born. There is of course some causative effect there, and it is also a bit of a feedback loop of a crappy night at home manifesting at crappy day at work sometimes.

Also, I have ADHD, and while my medications help with that somewhat, by far my biggest bedrock of being able to keep up with work was a set, unwavering daily routine that I followed, giving me the structure my brain otherwise struggles with. Of course, a new kid can upend that sort of thing constantly.

Also I definitely suffer from massive impostor syndrome, always feeling like my work has never been good enough from the beginning. So I know that colors somewhat my POV on my ability to remain here. But I know that those worries are getting more realistic.

What makes me less scared is my large emergency fund and low financial obligations. I know that if (when) I am let go I will have time and breathing room to take a break and find something else. I just don't know if there is a reason for myself to necessarily force that too early.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Got the last of my tax forms yesterday and fired off my tax returns today :hellyeah:

Back to cramming for a midterm.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
loving have to spend $1000 on my car. At least I have (had) $1600 budgeted for car repairs, and most of the stuff is just scheduled maintenance stuff, so if I waited for things to break like on all my previous cars, I'm sure it would have been a lot more.

On the bright side this will put me over the spend requirements to get $150 cash back on my new credit card. And they told me that my tires are fine for now. I was thinking I'd have to drop another ~$800 on some tires.

:sigh:

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Attention BFC! Your friendly forums mods are conducting the Something Awful Top Dog Tournament to determine the best dog in the forums.

Other participating subforums include:
LP
TGRS
SAS
PYF
AI
CD
CSPAM - logikv9
GIP - Zeris
GBS - genesplicer
BYOB - FluffieDuckie
PI - LITERALLY A BIRD
Games - Palpek
and many more!

Please nominate, vote, and do our subforum proud in the Something Awful Top Dog Tournament!

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer
Are there any alternatives to Mint that do automatic syncing of accounts and transactions and let you set up budgets and categories? I've lost 2 accounts (mortgage provider and now Vanguard) in the last couple of weeks and nothing seems to be getting fixed anymore. That really sucks too, because I have like 5 years of history in Mint, if not more.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

DJCobol posted:

Are there any alternatives to Mint that do automatic syncing of accounts and transactions and let you set up budgets and categories? I've lost 2 accounts (mortgage provider and now Vanguard) in the last couple of weeks and nothing seems to be getting fixed anymore. That really sucks too, because I have like 5 years of history in Mint, if not more.

New YNAB.

https://www.youneedabudget.com/

I think financier is also recommended but I'm too lazy to transfer it all over and learn a slightly new system.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

No Butt Stuff posted:

New YNAB.

https://www.youneedabudget.com/

I think financier is also recommended but I'm too lazy to transfer it all over and learn a slightly new system.

I absolutely LOVE financier, but then again I like hand entering all of my transactions, because it lets me feel like I'm really evaluating our spending instead of just letting it flow through.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I absolutely LOVE financier, but then again I like hand entering all of my transactions, because it lets me feel like I'm really evaluating our spending instead of just letting it flow through.

Yeah, I attempt to enter them all by hand before the auto-import, but I do love having the connection so that I can catch any I may have missed.

That said, I'm considering switching because nYNAB does piss me off when it comes to credit cards and the like.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I already spent a bunch of money preordering Switch stuff (console + extra joycons + joycon grip + pro controller) and tomorrow I'm gonna blow even more on several games.

It's all worth it though because New Zelda: http://www.metacritic.com/game/switch/the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild

I am SO HYPED

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

No Butt Stuff posted:

Yeah, I attempt to enter them all by hand before the auto-import, but I do love having the connection so that I can catch any I may have missed.

That said, I'm considering switching because nYNAB does piss me off when it comes to credit cards and the like.

Catching transactions you missed is fairly easy with manual data entry as well if you reconcile :)

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Just did my taxes (:canada:), I get $200 back. That's what I call good deducting. :boom:

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

dreesemonkey posted:

Catching transactions you missed is fairly easy with manual data entry as well if you reconcile :)

Yeah I know. I think auto-import actually trips me up sometimes, because I'll fat finger 4.99 to like 4.66 at some point and then not reconcile for two months and then hooo boy.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

I loving love reconciling, knowing that everything is in balance. I love hyperlinks to transactions, which Financier is really good with. I love that it's $12 a year, and that I can create a monthly budget item for Financier as $1. Delightful, all around.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I haven't determined why yet, but now it's happened two times. I'll enter/clear my transactions in financier and I cannot get that bitch to reconcile, which is almost impossible because I only ever go ~3 days at most between reconciliations (usually every week day).

The resolution, other than going over the same 8 transactions 40 different times to no avail, is to leave my financier budget and go back in. Then it recalculates cleared/pending transactions or something. Haven't been able to replicate the bug to report it.

Other than very minor things like that and the lack of basic reporting, financier is my jam. Happy to pay the $12/year.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

That feeling when you make your monthly Roth and Taxable contributions and it is the highest the market has ever been... and the feeling that you get knowing that you are in it for the 30 year long game. :shepface:

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

spwrozek posted:

That feeling when you make your monthly Roth and Taxable contributions and it is the highest the market has ever been... and the feeling that you get knowing that you are in it for the 30 year long game. :shepface:

I certainly picked a good year to front-load my investments by signing up for a credit card with a one year interest-free grace period. Threw $20k at the market in early January. Up 5% on my index portion and 18% on my weed stocks.

Yippie Kay Yay Mother Fuckers! :homebrew:

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

spwrozek posted:

I thought you're supposed to buy low... am I missing something?

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Love Stole the Day posted:

:thejoke:
You're not missing something

Sometimes I get a little down when I read other people's "Maxed my Roth and 401k" posts, but at least putting something away, even at the historical high of the DOW, reminds me that I'm probably still way better off financially than most of my circle of friends/peers.

(but then again in 30 years I'll be too frail to enjoy my money)
:confuoot:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Yeah, you're not supposed to gamble with your retirement savings.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

dreesemonkey posted:

:thejoke:
You're not missing something

Sometimes I get a little down when I read other people's "Maxed my Roth and 401k" posts, but at least putting something away, even at the historical high of the DOW, reminds me that I'm probably still way better off financially than most of my circle of friends/peers.

(but then again in 30 years I'll be too frail to enjoy my money)
:confuoot:

I was having a chat with my successful brother about financials and mentioned about maxing out Roth IRAs. He said he makes too much to contribute to one. I forgot those people existed :(

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Love Stole the Day posted:

Let me know when the next crash is and I will hold off on contributing until then. Should I have told my company I don't want my yearly match since it was paid last week too? In 30 years the money I just put in will beat inflation on the average and it will not over time matter with short term losses. It is not like I am picking stocks, it is all indexed.

I am 30 years old. I don't expect to touch my Roth until I am 60.

But then again I max my 401K, My Roth, My HSA, my mom's Roth, and at a minimum put $500 a month in a taxable account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Nocheez posted:

I was having a chat with my successful brother about financials and mentioned about maxing out Roth IRAs. He said he makes too much to contribute to one. I forgot those people existed :(

Not with backdoor he isn't. Unless he has a lot of Trad IRA clogging up the process, backdoor Roth has no limit AFAIK.