Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I still can't get over Gundam Unicorn: One Hundred Year of Solitude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

MonsieurChoc posted:

I made a joke in the last thread about how Zeon started 32 civil wars and lost them all and nobody laughed at it.

I thought it was a decent one too. :smith:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MonsieurChoc posted:

What is this? Some DVD special?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kingtheninja posted:

To this day my favorite example of this is the delinquent officer in Akira who yells at kaneda for calling him a geezer (he was like 26 but he also looked like an older person).

My favorite is Inferno Cop. He's only 21!

Then again, my favorite for many things is Inferno Cop.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
My favourite thing about Inferno Cop is that not only is his opponent immune to bullets, but so is he!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Raxivace posted:

I made a joke in the last thread about how Zeon started 32 civil wars and lost them all and nobody laughed at it.

I thought it was a decent one too. :smith:

I must have missed it. :hf:

Arcsquad12 posted:

What is this? Some DVD special?

Yup, a summary of the Universal Century up to Unicorn. But every time I think about it, I think about Char Aznable remembering the day his father showed him ice for the first time before facing the execution squad.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
What are your favorite Gundam OPs?

I pretty much love them all, but in particular:
Victory Gundam OP 1 and 2 - the tone whiplash is amazing
Gundam 00 OP 3 - I like the song, nice animation that also works as a recap to the first season
Gundam AGE OP 3 - Obari directed it.
Gundam Wing OP 2 - I really love the Zero System booting up part in the beginning. Pppppppppppp
Zeta Gundam OP 2 - the cut with Four is one of my all-time favorites

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Turn A Gundam, with the hand reaching for the moon. Never skipped it once.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

MonsieurChoc posted:

Mmmmmmm
Turn A Turn
Turn A Gundam /disinterested English voice

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Winner, hands down. Show might be dmb but that song sets the tone absolutely perfectly

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Schneider Heim posted:

What are your favorite Gundam OPs?

I pretty much love them all, but in particular:
Victory Gundam OP 1 and 2 - the tone whiplash is amazing
Gundam 00 OP 3 - I like the song, nice animation that also works as a recap to the first season
Gundam AGE OP 3 - Obari directed it.
Gundam Wing OP 2 - I really love the Zero System booting up part in the beginning. Pppppppppppp
Zeta Gundam OP 2 - the cut with Four is one of my all-time favorites

Turn A Gundam OP 1 - super-stylish visuals, and a song that does them justice.

ZZ Gundam OP 2 (Silent Voice) - a fun 80s power-ballad that provides useful characterisation for the main villain.

G Gundam OP 1 (Flying in the Sky) - pure, glorious cheese.

Stardust Memory OP 1 and 2 (The Winner, Men of Destiny) - the most 80s things ever produced in the 90s, and wonderful adverts for the simple pleasures of rocking out white giant robots explode.

Gundam 00 OP 1 and 2 (Daybreak's Bell, Ash Like Snow) - a fresh new sound and a fresh new look for Gundam, both stylish and dramatic.

Gundam Build Fighters OP 2 (wimp) - an irresistible invitation to a world of pure fun.

Iron-Blooded Orphans OP 1 and 2 (Raise Your Flag, Rage of Dust) - brash, rebellious hymns to the merits of living fast, dying young, and leaving a good-looking corpse. It should be stressed, of course, that the second halves of both seasons point out the downsides to this mindset, and their slightly more subdued OPs are a useful asset to that, but that doesn't stop these two from being as catchy and seductive as any other Bad Decisions Song (Let It Go, Hakuna Matata, Do You Hear The People Sing, you name it).

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Feb 15, 2017

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I pretty much agree with most of the stuff above, still not seen Turn A yet. I am girding my loins for SEED.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I love gundam 00 op 3

And whatever build fighter op with lil fang.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Dreams and Resolution. I'm not the biggest fan of GundamX (BlitzBlast has me beat by parsecs) but god drat if those openings aren't just so good on the ears.

Also good:
ZZ OP 2 (Silent Voice)
00 Season 1 OP 1 (Daybreak's Bell)
Victory OP 1 (Stand up to the Victory)
Wing OP 2 (Rhythm Emotion) When the zero system boots up at the beginning of the song, oh boy oh boy oh boy.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Build Fighters had a great OP. Not just the song, but I love the little fakeout at the beginning where it starts like a traditional Gundam opening, but then Sei's hand comes from offscreen and grabs the Gundam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V589nNnfP1U

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

SeanBeansShako posted:

I pretty much agree with most of the stuff above, still not seen Turn A yet. I am girding my loins for SEED.

Prepare for disappointment. I am still hard pressed to find a show uglier than SEED that reached mainstream appeal. Early digital painting was a dark time for animation.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
The Turn A OPs are both great but if I even think about Moon for a moment I start to tear up.

Beyond those I think the only ones I'd listen to independent of thinking about anime OPs are The Winner and Raise Your Flag. Though some of the non-opening/ending tracks in Build Fighters are freaking amazing.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFCc5NLTWtc

Always been a fan of Zeta OP 1, not the least of which because it was originally written by Neil Sedaka of all people.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Guy Goodbody posted:

Build Fighters had a great OP. Not just the song, but I love the little fakeout at the beginning where it starts like a traditional Gundam opening, but then Sei's hand comes from offscreen and grabs the Gundam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V589nNnfP1U

Oh we're talking about the visual stuff too in the OP? cool, I really like the cheesy brooding Domon with his sword in Flying In The Sky and the Zeon/Federation Flags super imposed over One Year War wreckage in The Winner (Stardust Memories 1st OST, which sounds much nicer Japanese I know)

Arcsquad12 posted:

Prepare for disappointment. I am still hard pressed to find a show uglier than SEED that reached mainstream appeal. Early digital painting was a dark time for animation.

Oh I am prepared all right. I'm tempted to do a uniform thing for it when I am done but it might just end up with me just pointing out how super weird for your crews formal stuff to include skirts in zero g enviroments.

I am sorry for those who waited for me to cover The Titans. I tried my best. Can't say much. I scribbled a vague draft whilst desperately looking for images (doing something like this? have the DVD copies because sadly people don't screencap the poo poo out of uniforms) and I think I was going for a trying to hard Jerid theme before I said sod it. It's really just red and blue Feddie gear anyway.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Daybreak's Bell (00 OP1) is easily the best by far but both of 83 and Victory's openings are good too.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

RevolverDivider posted:

Ash Like Snow (00 OP2) is easily the best by far but both of 83 and Victory's openings are good too.

FTFY

IBO's OPs have all been excellent too.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Guys I really like the Origin manga. I've blown through it in the last month, will be getting the last 3 volumes in a couple days. It's such a great retelling of the original story. More concise, and well organized.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Ash Like Snow is really, really good too. The only 00 opening that's not very good is the second Season 2 one.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Say what you will about AGE but I really like Asu E.

I seem to prefer the more recent OP and EDs in general, now that I'm thinking about what I have on playlists and such. River, Wing of Words, Kimi wa Boku no Niteriu, Daybreak's Bell, Hakanaku mo Towa no Kanashi, Kyou kara Omoide, Just Fly Away, Raise Your Flag, Orphans no Namida, Survivor etc. I remember liking MEN OF DESTINY (The all caps is important, of course) too.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Sunrise has been pretty on point with OP/ED music choice since they stopped sucking T.M. Revolution's dick :v:

StalkofWheat
Oct 10, 2012
I gotta give a shout out to the 8th MS Team op, it has so many good little details like the truck commander covering his ears when the guns fire. Really helps sell the Gundam in Vietnam angle.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

RevolverDivider posted:

Ash Like Snow is really, really good too. The only 00 opening that's not very good is the second Season 2 one.

I'll fight you

the second season op2 is the worst

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kingtheninja posted:

Guys I really like the Origin manga. I've blown through it in the last month, will be getting the last 3 volumes in a couple days. It's such a great retelling of the original story. More concise, and well organized.

It also gives Mirai and Sayla more to do, which is nice.

Origins Mirai is probably the most competent person in the crew at the start?

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

StalkofWheat posted:

I gotta give a shout out to the 8th MS Team op, it has so many good little details like the truck commander covering his ears when the guns fire. Really helps sell the Gundam in Vietnam angle.

This is the best one. I basically say it's WHAT BATTLETECH SHOULD LOOK LIKE. Military ops and cool combined arms stuff. But I am a bit of an 08th MS Team fanboy outside of the swimming scene early on which I would prefer to be removed honestly.

I am pretty good with the SIGN OF ZETA opening but that could be because it's in the Saturn video game and in spite of the game being a right bastard it's a catchy rear end opening. (Though vidya wise Rockman X4 and Wild Arms sort of outdo it in the intro song stakes.)

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i'm a big fan of both wing OPs and both g OPs. the MSG OP makes me laugh so i like it quite a bit too.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

A lot of good choices. My favorites mentioned thus far are Wing's Rhythmic Emotion and Just Communication, Stardust Memory's Winner, Zeta's "From an Aqueous Star with Love" (the part with Four flying by, as well as Char taking off his glasses, being my favorite) but I didn't see any love for SEED. I love SEED's first OP just as much as the others I mentioned.
https://youtu.be/EMRaR15RBno

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

chiasaur11 posted:

It also gives Mirai and Sayla more to do, which is nice.

Origins Mirai is probably the most competent person in the crew at the start?

I understand it's new to the Origin retelling but, I love how Sayla infiltrating A Baoa Qu turns into a shitload of Zeon guys being loyal to her and causing a major internal revolution.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

SeanBeansShako posted:

Oh we're talking about the visual stuff too in the OP? cool, I really like the cheesy brooding Domon with his sword in Flying In The Sky and the Zeon/Federation Flags super imposed over One Year War wreckage in The Winner (Stardust Memories 1st OST, which sounds much nicer Japanese I know)
When Shining Gundam pulls out its beam saber and the show's title appears briefly is my favorite OP moment.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I understand it's new to the Origin retelling but, I love how Sayla infiltrating A Baoa Qu turns into a shitload of Zeon guys being loyal to her and causing a major internal revolution.

God that was hilarious, and her reaction was even better.

"Meh, when in Rome!:shrug:"

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I think all the little touches go a long way to making it good. I just finished volume 9 (Texas colony stuff) and they made chalia bull younger. I was always bothered by how old he was in the show, for a new type that is.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

A lot of good choices. My favorites mentioned thus far are Wing's Rhythmic Emotion and Just Communication, Stardust Memory's Winner, Zeta's "From an Aqueous Star with Love" (the part with Four flying by, as well as Char taking off his glasses, being my favorite) but I didn't see any love for SEED. I love SEED's first OP just as much as the others I mentioned.
https://youtu.be/EMRaR15RBno

Wing's OP is also pretty good yeah.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

MonsieurChoc posted:

I love this bit so much I made it my video avatar thingy on Facebook.

It just feels so epic while still being just a pretty low key thing.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Silent voice is really nice

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

GulagDolls posted:

Silent voice is really nice

Is A Silent Voice in the Gundam universe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

Is A Silent Voice in the Gundam universe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxE3i9QYOFU