Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

it took a while before i read somewhere that you need powered exoskeletons, which i usually skipped, to get robots

this is probably up to date

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I thought they made Jump Drives available to all three FTL types?

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

They are, so that chart is either out of date or incorrect.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
In preparation for Banks, I'm making a new custom race with dimorphism.

Don't know which is going to be male and which is female yet, but they're getting custom clothing, too.

Kilravock
Jan 27, 2006

We are the hollow men

Baronjutter posted:

Another thing I think Stellaris is missing is a sense of scale/exploration in a gradual sense. If you're on hyperlane you can explore most of the galaxy before your first colony. In Moo and other 4x games there's a lot of "gate" techs that increase your range or allow you to do something or go somewhere new. In stellaris I barely notice any difference when I get a new engine tech, and my ships never have any range, while in moo that new fuel cell technology has opened up more stars to explore, and you can finally hit that rival empire. Fuel/ranges make wars much more interesting as it establishes fairly clear "fronts" in the war. The enemy can't just zip through your entire empire at will, they can probably only reach a few border worlds and if they want to go deeper they need to take those. It makes things more interesting on the attack as well, as you sometimes have to choose taking a crappy system to put you in range of their real juicy systems vs taking a better system that doesn't offer as good supply/range.

It's the same in Civ, you start only knowing your starting area and slowly explore, and your'e generally still exploring and seeing how the map unfolds throughout the whole game. In stellaris you obviously know where all the stars are, and your scouts have scouted most of them in the early game so all you're left with is plodding methodical surveying.

I think more things that limit your range and reach, and having that slowly grow as the game progresses would help keep things interesting and keep the sense of exploration and wonder going. This comes back to the problem of the 3 travel methods though, how to keep them "balanced" ? Honestly, would love to see a total re-do of inter and in-system movement.

Yeah range limits do help create front lines and strategic choices by simulating logistics. The wormhole station ranges work a lot like Moo2 which is simple and easier for both the player and AI to use. Stars! and Distant Worlds used fuel and was micro intensive and the AI had issues with it, but it forced you to do things like have several fleets with some in reserve and it encouraged you to protect fuel stations/resupply ships or design ships with larger fuel tanks/more efficient engines/reactors.

Stellaris is doing it but in a different way. Range limits are more diplo focus with closed borders and hyperdrive choke points. It does have range limits like with the wormhole station ranges. On the largest maps, travel time is a limit because it takes forever to move big fleets across the galaxy, unless you don't doomstack your fleet and instead use regional fleets, which is only possible if you have a large enough economy, fleet cap, and tech lead that one fleet can counter the AI's doomstack fleet on it's own.

That said I don't really miss managing fuel. I don't really notice the unlimited range of fleets once I reach mid-game. I play exclusively on the largest map with the most stars, and in most games I don't reach the other side of the galaxy because of travel time and how filled in the game becomes at the point.

I am not sure what they have plan for FTL changes.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

those flappy faced idiots they're modded from get purged 100% of the time. not cute

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

oddium posted:

those flappy faced idiots they're modded from get purged 100% of the time. not cute

Agreed, which is why they'll be my food now :getin:

edit: Also is there a command to reload assets without me having to restart the game because I'm gonna bang my head on the wall otherwise

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

I think more things that limit your range and reach, and having that slowly grow as the game progresses would help keep things interesting and keep the sense of exploration and wonder going. This comes back to the problem of the 3 travel methods though, how to keep them "balanced" ? Honestly, would love to see a total re-do of inter and in-system movement.
This would actually make me pretty happy for the dumb reason that... I love to explore, and there's a material benefit to it. But plotting a corvette's route around the galaxy, and then making another one and re-plotting the route when the first get eaten by space monsters, over and over again means I will burn out on the frustrating micromanagement exploration long before I actually finish it.

Sure, I could just... not. But wanting to know whats out there means I'll try if I can. If I don't bother it's because I was burnt out on the idea before I even started.

This happens all the time because I only play hyperlane-only galaxies, because I'm a fan of strategic defense points, which just don't exist outside of that mode. Otherwise I'd just play wormholes which is perfect in this regard. Build a new wormhole at the edge of your explored space, you get a whole bunch of new stars to explore, you do so, and then get to build another wormhole to open up another little chunk to explore.

All FTL types should have range limits that you can boost with stations or something.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Feb 15, 2017

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Going back years ago to playing Ascendancy I had a game where the galaxy was split into two halves separated by a real long jump. One of the races has the ability to periodically dump all ships back to the entrance point of their current hyperlane jump which the AI basically used on cooldown. Made for an interesting game where the only way to get to the other half of the galaxy was to jam like six jump drives into a ship so it could cross before the next reset.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
When is the patch/expansion coming out auuughh, there's so much stuff.

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

Every time I try and start a new game, I think "it's gonna be better if I wait for Banks/Utopia" so I just quit.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah gently caress ever having to micro-manage fuel, that would be as insane as manually having to build attachments for every army, no one wants to do that. I know some people just loved the level of spread sheet spectrum hell in Stars! but I really don't wan to deal with tankers and fuel math. Also holy poo poo aurora.
But having some limits on all the travel methods would be good. For hyperlanes it could be as simple as not being able to jump more than X jumps past your nearest port. I hate exploring the whole universe at the start of the game, but I feel like I have to or I'm not using my travel method effectively.

It could also mean being able to have port agreements with friends, extending your range.

But the main thing is having a sense of change and growth throughout the game. In civ for example it's a big deal when you get the tech to build any ships as they let you rapidly explore the coast of your home continent and maybe some islands, but you can't travel over the ocean. Later on when you can travel over the seas that opens up a whole new world, it's another age of exploration. Things like railroad dramatically effect movement, getting factories and seeing your production boom. In stellaris all the techs are so gradual, so incremental there's few that change everything or open up whole new parts of the game. For me it's really just robots, and later gene modding, but beyond that not much, everything is super incremental.

I'd love to start just able to explore my home system and grow from there, with FTL being a big deal that changes things, and as a player making choices to b-line for FTL or stew and build up in my home system a bit longer. I also like the idea of the galaxy being a bit chunky, with large expanses and isolated pockets you need later tech to cross. I'd also love to see something like "roads" in the game, improvements you can make to hyper-lanes to let you travel faster within the systems you've invested in, or warp boosters, or wormhole uhh bosters or stargates or what ever.

There really isn't much of a sense of geography or terrain in the game, even with hyperlanes.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Feb 15, 2017

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah gently caress ever having to micro-manage fuel, that would be as insane as manually having to build attachments for every army, no one wants to do that. I know some people just loved the level of spread sheet spectrum hell in Stars! but I really don't wan to deal with tankers and fuel math. Also holy poo poo aurora.
But having some limits on all the travel methods would be good. For hyperlanes it could be as simple as not being able to jump more than X jumps past your nearest port. I hate exploring the whole universe at the start of the game, but I feel like I have to or I'm not using my travel method effectively.

It could also mean being able to have port agreements with friends, extending your range.
This feels like a good compromise and would let non-gate people make those treaties with others.

You know, I wish there were some more upgrades to non-combat ships. The Curator stuff for Science ships is a good idea but it's kinda weird that I'm using the absolute same construction ships the entire game. I mean, just a constructer +1 that works faster would be enough i suppose...

oddium posted:

it took a while before i read somewhere that you need powered exoskeletons, which i usually skipped, to get robots

this is probably up to date
Like, they do have it for some things, where they indicate that if you want more of these, you need to take that one first but there should also be a "This one is super important for later tech!" tooltip maybe?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Personally I would make the following changes to ftl, and almost all of them are actually changes to galaxy generation:

1. Clusters. Dense globs of stars, at least three in each galaxy. Travel between them is limited because they have zones of dead stars or empty gas space between them. Every galaxy has roughly a third of its clusters marked off as a place no one starts in for late game virgin territory to fight over.

2. New warp lanes open with better drives. Your initial drive only lets you travel in your local clusters. The next drive up will reveal intercluster connectors and open up most of the galaxy so long as you go through the core. The final one will open up really long shortcut jumps and allow you to cross arm gaps and visit remote clusters.

3. Warp and Wormholes work as they do now but have their jump range tweaked so you need to upgrade them once to leave your cluster and again to get anywhere.

Would just love to have virgin territory to claim later in the game. Would love to have new occupied territory open up to explore and meet the neighbours.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I find that there's quite often virgin territory out there even late in the game. What galaxy forms do you play on? I usually do spirals.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
I wish the Scourge AI - or maybe the AI in general - could tell when its transports were hung up in a fight with a mining station and reroute an actual fleet from bombing temporarily.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Yeah, I usually play large spirals and still tend to run into unclaimed territory late game.

That said, Glyph's idea about better hyperdrives opening up more and more lanes from stars is actually pretty legit.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Why, why WHY are there so few ways to gently caress with pre-spacefarers? The mod that was linked was a good start but drat, if the game isn't ripe for awful things to do with them.
The Pyramid event is honestly one of my favs just because it's there and isn't "oh by the way there's a meteor there"

next time I'm really tempted to just let it slam them
I tried to do this because it seemed the easiest way to deal with the early spaceflight militant xenophobes. At the last minute my ally swooped in out of nowhere and blew it up with a smug grin on their xenophillic rear end in a top hat faces. I was displeased.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

oddium posted:

In my Banks games, anyone who wears clothes is free from being eaten. Nakedness is a sign of non-sentience, regardless of how intelligible a race may sound :colbert:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
surely some fashion choices must mark one as worthy of extermination though. sorry lizard man, your wardrobe is hideous and you have to go.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Poil posted:

My species invented FTL as a last desperate attempt to avoid total extinction as well as a complete depletion of their planet's resources after a global craze of real life Kerbal Space Program.
Has anyone made a Kerbal wait why am I asking

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=681993365

It's beautiful.

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
Just love the emergent storytelling that can come from this game.

My empire is supposed to be a Pacifist democracy but somehow a leader with the warlike and resilient traits keeps being elected decade after decade. I finally dump enough influence to ensure a leader more appropriate for my empire ethics is elected to the top job but not a year into his term he dies, and who takes over again? The warlike president-for-life i had just gotten rid of!

You can't tell me he didn't assassinate this young upstart to get back into power; I just love it.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Splicer posted:

I tried to do this because it seemed the easiest way to deal with the early spaceflight militant xenophobes. At the last minute my ally swooped in out of nowhere and blew it up with a smug grin on their xenophillic rear end in a top hat faces. I was displeased.
This happened in my most recent game twice, two different planets (both size 25) with pre-warps, meteor event and I'm like, see you in hell suckers. At the last second the neighboring Federation fleet just warps in and blows it to hell, foiling my plans to expand into nice lovely size 25 worlds :(

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Some dumbshit AI race on the other side of a galaxy got in a single-system independence war that never ends, and because of that horseshit I can't exit my defense treaties with one political bloc, which then entered a general war with the other bloc.

How the gently caress do I get out of this stupid loving war? Why can't I tell my idiot partners to gently caress off and that no, I won't help their retarded fight?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Go over there and occupy + blockade the system, the war will end instantly. The single system guy probably doesn't have anything left anyway, just send a couple ships and transports.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Ugh, of course now that they've set off a fight between the two biggest alliances they end the dumb independence fight. Still stuck with this huge war I don't want to be in.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
According to Reddit, balance changes in the Traditions trees are still ongoing. I'd kind of assumed that to be the case, and the draft Expansion tree up on Twitter looks like it would be a strong replacement. The 'free settler' option felt a bit off.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
Talking about primitives, I think it'd be more interesting if the rate of early-game colonisation was slowed down so they were actually more of a thing early-game.

As it stands, there's not much impact to it. Enlightening should be a risk/reward thing, but at the moment you spend 20-40 years and risk getting a fanatical purifier who poses no threat and just steals a few systems worth of mining stations, or your reward is a useless vassal that you can integrate in another 10+ years for one planet and a species (when you've probably gotten one for their niche via migration treaties by now). Infiltration and invasion are far more interesting ways of dealing with primitives, as you either get a world (and new species) straight away, or wait 10-20 years to get one without the Recently Conquered penalty- but in both cases they come at the cost of the Culture Shock debuff.

Maybe the flat bonuses per empire/vassal in the Domination & Diplomacy trees will make primitives more worthwhile. It just seems like it'd be neat to raise species with similar ethics to you up to provide you with handy allies, but since they have to be in your territory to do it anyway... I wonder if letting you do it as a science ship project would be better?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Some faction stuff:

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/831840001902129152

Wiz, have you guys thought about moving to a more fleshed out character system a-la CK2? Maybe not the wedding and children part, but I feel like traits, stats and personality could work really well with the stuff you guys are showing happening with factions.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Talkie Toaster posted:

Talking about primitives, I think it'd be more interesting if the rate of early-game colonisation was slowed down so they were actually more of a thing early-game.

As it stands, there's not much impact to it. Enlightening should be a risk/reward thing, but at the moment you spend 20-40 years and risk getting a fanatical purifier who poses no threat and just steals a few systems worth of mining stations, or your reward is a useless vassal that you can integrate in another 10+ years for one planet and a species (when you've probably gotten one for their niche via migration treaties by now). Infiltration and invasion are far more interesting ways of dealing with primitives, as you either get a world (and new species) straight away, or wait 10-20 years to get one without the Recently Conquered penalty- but in both cases they come at the cost of the Culture Shock debuff.

Maybe the flat bonuses per empire/vassal in the Domination & Diplomacy trees will make primitives more worthwhile. It just seems like it'd be neat to raise species with similar ethics to you up to provide you with handy allies, but since they have to be in your territory to do it anyway... I wonder if letting you do it as a science ship project would be better?
Honestly, the primitives suffer from the fact that they're either just a source of society research (if they're too far back/useless ethos), more pops (of often dubious value and an ethics nightmare) or another vassal, which are just there.

That last bit annoys me alot coming from CK2, because that game is all about vassals. You can't do anything with them, you can't let them do anything and all they do is squat there, impotently, hoping you'll give them a planet which you won't do because they hate you if they get too powerful.

:sad:

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Honestly, the primitives suffer from the fact that they're either just a source of society research (if they're too far back/useless ethos), more pops (of often dubious value and an ethics nightmare) or another vassal, which are just there.

That last bit annoys me alot coming from CK2, because that game is all about vassals. You can't do anything with them, you can't let them do anything and all they do is squat there, impotently, hoping you'll give them a planet which you won't do because they hate you if they get too powerful.

:sad:

Early primitives are an excellent source of slaves. An extra 5 or so pops very early will jumpstart your mineral economy amazingly well and all it takes is 2-3 assault armies and some influence. This will be even better once food is global as you can then task the savages with feeding your cap and free your important pops up for research etc.

If they are of the same hab type they can be partially or completely exterminated and replaced with your species later if you don't feel like leaving it as a pure mineral world. If they enjoy a different hab type, you can focus on trying to get some of them to drift to the correct ethos and allow them to serve in increased capacity on other worlds.

If you aren't willing to enslave or genocide them then any alien without compatible ethics are indeed more of a hassle than anything else though the bonus society research is still good.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
If you're a xenophobe then encouraging other races to migrate to your ethics will make them hate you, at least in the current game. It would be great if getting other races to drift to your ethics involved convincing them that your race was in fact the master race, enabling you to get work out of them without slavery.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:

Baronjutter posted:

I still illogically yearn for a "pre warp" start along with some pre-warp content/stuff to do. In my fantasy FTL tech its self would be just one of the early-game techs, and before you get it you'd be doing stuff like getting your first space station up and running and colonizing/mining/exploring your own solar system.

The start in stellaris feels like some modern day people were suddenly given some FTL ships and it's their first time in space since their home system is totally unexplored. I was always the nerd who would start pre-warp in Moo2 and ignore the engine techs as long as I could, instead focusing on industrial and social/bio tech role playing a society that thinks traveling to the stars is frivolous and why invest in that when there's so much room for growth and development in our home system? It's not like there's other aliens out there competing for systems, what's the rush?

I have a great mod for you then:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=741282313

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Early primitives are an excellent source of slaves. An extra 5 or so pops very early will jumpstart your mineral economy amazingly well and all it takes is 2-3 assault armies and some influence. This will be even better once food is global as you can then task the savages with feeding your cap and free your important pops up for research etc.

If they are of the same hab type they can be partially or completely exterminated and replaced with your species later if you don't feel like leaving it as a pure mineral world. If they enjoy a different hab type, you can focus on trying to get some of them to drift to the correct ethos and allow them to serve in increased capacity on other worlds.

If you aren't willing to enslave or genocide them then any alien without compatible ethics are indeed more of a hassle than anything else though the bonus society research is still good.

They just whine so much about being enslaved. I really hope unrest just lets me plop down a lot of troops to periodically purge them as I wait for one of them to finally become a collectivist like me and learn to love the whip so I can purge all the rest and let that one propagate the rest.

I accidentally uplifted xenophobes and they're in that stage now where I look at them every few years, hoping it will be gone from them so I can start colonizing with them and whatnot. At this point, the stupid bastards have taken so long that I may just genemod my founders to arctic preference and just genocide the lot of them for having been a pain in the rear end, charismatic humanoids or not.

Aethernet posted:

If you're a xenophobe then encouraging other races to migrate to your ethics will make them hate you, at least in the current game. It would be great if getting other races to drift to your ethics involved convincing them that your race was in fact the master race, enabling you to get work out of them without slavery.
It's weird how big of an influence the ethos system has when there's like, almost nothing you can do about it. I guess they are fixing it though

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Aethernet posted:

if you're a xenophobe you've basically already had the conversation that xenos are to be tolerated temporarily at best

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Coolguye posted:

if you're a xenophobe you've basically already had the conversation that xenos are to be tolerated temporarily at best

But what if I want other aliens to believe they should only exist on sufference too? After all, if I can eat them, I should be able to convince them they're inferior.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
I am not a xenophobe, I just think that aliens are equal but separate.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Rincewinds posted:

I am not a xenophobe, I am just in favor of equal but separate.
Xenophobe Pacifists trying for that honestly end up with a lot of strange nonsense with current game mechanics, so you kinda can't do it

less "seperate but equal" and more like "hateful nimbys: the species"

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
xenophobe pacifists are characterized by the game as isolationists currently, which makes perfect sense to me

these are not necessarily empires with mammoth galactic ambitions, they're kinda like fallen empires in the making in that they're mostly focused inward and are focused on doing their own thing. if they can claim new territory or something that's great but they're not gonna get too hot and bothered about it. their primary request is that whatever you're planning, you just leave them out of it.

needless to say i have killed a LOT of xenophobe pacifists in my Suffer Not The Alien run

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I'm currently playing as xenophobe pacifists, and my first real goal was making a huge land grab so that I'd have strong enough borders to resist encroachment. Now that I have territory I can devote myself to improving my systems without people constantly trying to federate me, which is all I really wanted anyway. Just leave me alone to play spaceships and shoot pirates.

Diplomacy would be way better if you could set your own war goals on wars you're being drawn into, like if another federation member wants to go at it with their neighbors. It seems you can really only define them if you either start the war or get war declared at you, unless I'm missing something. I try not to go to war much; I don't like having to lose all my pretty space blobs.

• Locked thread