Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

What does IC mean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Reverand maynard posted:

What does IC mean?
Intelligence Community.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth
Reminder that three weeks ago Trump stood at the CIA memorial wall and said, "I want to just let you know, I am so behind you. And I know maybe sometimes you haven’t gotten the backing that you’ve wanted, and you’re going to get so much backing. Maybe you’re going to say, 'please don’t give us so much backing. Mr. President, please, we don’t need that much backing.' But you’re going to have that."

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Svartvit posted:

Reminder that three weeks ago Trump stood at the CIA memorial wall and said, "I want to just let you know, I am so behind you. And I know maybe sometimes you haven’t gotten the backing that you’ve wanted, and you’re going to get so much backing. Maybe you’re going to say, 'please don’t give us so much backing. Mr. President, please, we don’t need that much backing.' But you’re going to have that."

Backing into a corner maybe.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I really hope this results in Mattis taking control of the security force marines at the White House.

There is no way Bannon goes quietly. He will convince trump to do something dumb.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Reverand maynard posted:

I really hope this results in Mattis taking control of the security force marines at the White House.

There is no way Bannon goes quietly. He will convince trump to do something dumb.

There are four Marines at the White House. They are there for ceremonial guard duties, not actual security. No one is going to call them to do anything other than open the door or hold an umbrella.

If anything, it'd be a tense standoff between Secret Service agents and possibly FBI agents.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I know its probably a silly question, but do you think anyone has sat old Donnie down and told him the gravity of the situation?

Edit: I mean this situation would be comically easy to diffuse but the fact that he isn't makes me wonder what he's hiding.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

:fap: :fap: :fap:

I have a faint glimmer of hope that the GOP will see reason, and go along with impeachment if the IC does mange to conclusively link Trump to Russia.

But then again, jenkemest timeline etc :smith:

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I know its probably a silly question, but do you think anyone has sat old Donnie down and told him the gravity of the situation?

Edit: I mean this situation would be comically easy to diffuse but the fact that he isn't makes me wonder what he's hiding.

I don't think Donnie has ever gotten burned. Daddy bailed him out. Rapes wife but gives her hush money. He'salways thrown enough money (his or his dad's) at problems until it's gone away.

I don't think he realizes what consequences are.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

https://twitter.com/blakehounshell/status/831889877872558080

:unsmigghh:

and Harward has been offered the NSA job

Robert Harward plans a housecleaning of Trump’s National Security Council staff

quote:

President Donald Trump offered the job of national security advisor to retired Vice Adm. Robert Harward on Monday night, and was a bit surprised when Harward responded by saying he needed a couple of days to think it over.

If, as expected, Harward accepts the job today, he is likely to bring in his own team, from deputy on down, with a focus on national security types with some experience under their belts.

I think he would look especially to people he knows from his time working for the George W. Bush NSC from 2003 to 2005. No more Fox News talking heads. Instead, I think he would try to take a Scowcroftian approach to trying to run the interagency policy formulation process — deliberate, rigorous, careful. Just how that will fit with the style of the Twitterer-in-Chief, I don’t know.

Most importantly, he is not an ideologue, as Flynn seemed to have become in the last few years. Harward thinks of himself as a national security professional — and indeed once served on the NSC staff, during the Bush Administration. Before that, early in the Afghan war, he headed the Special Operations task force in Kandahar.

Harward also would work well with Defense Secretary James Mattis. When Mattis was chief of Central Command, Harward was his deputy. Mattis trusted him enough to put him in charge of planning for war with Iran. Mattis has urged Harward to take the NSA job.

He would also be the second former deputy of Mattis that is around after Kelly.

A Handed Missus fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Feb 15, 2017

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
In a bit over an hour Trump and Netanyahu have a press conference

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
So while the CIA et al and the White House are engaged in mortal combat who or what exactly is to stop Russia or whomever from doing anything they want during the infighting?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

davecrazy posted:

So while the CIA et al and the White House are engaged in mortal combat who or what exactly is to stop Russia or whomever from doing anything they want during the infighting?

Nothing. They've already been sailing off the coast, moving new weapons systems of questionable treaty legality around, and increased shelling on Ukraine. They've been caught funding Taliban fighters in Afghanistan, making trouble in Syria. They've got free reign.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Man I loving hate Pence but for the good of our country I hope he isn't crooked. This will be a lot easier if one of the people that was voted in wasn't complicit in this.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Svartvit posted:

Is that an actual quote? Jesus, did he learn English in a room alone as a child? (probably)

Edit: So is Harward a good choice? I've never even heard of the guy until the past couple of days.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Supposedly Malaysian Police have found the two bodies of the women who assassinated Kim's brother.

RIP LOL Shirt wearing Assassin.

https://twitter.com/goldengateblond/status/831756598041260032/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

First rule of assassination. Kill the assassin.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

:vince: :drat: :vince: :drat: :vince:

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

CommieGIR posted:

Nothing. They've already been sailing off the coast, moving new weapons systems of questionable treaty legality around, and increased shelling on Ukraine. They've been caught funding Taliban fighters in Afghanistan, making trouble in Syria. They've got free reign.

Why haven't they just swallowed the Ukraine yet? That's what I don't get

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Nuclear War posted:

Why haven't they just swallowed the Ukraine yet? That's what I don't get

Well, the Ukrainians might have something to say about it :rimshot:

Also, real answer, the Russian military is a tad extended right now, Russia doesn't want the non Russian parts or the Ukraine (yet), and they are currently consolidating power by murdering Russian separatists to bring the rest in line.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Reverand maynard posted:

Man I loving hate Pence but for the good of our country I hope he isn't crooked. This will be a lot easier if one of the people that was voted in wasn't complicit in this.
He had to know what was going on. I knew what was going on.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I think it's two things: first, they can effectively bleed out the Ukrainian resistance at relatively low cost to Russia, making their final actions easier and faster (and once they're in, they're IN...just like Crimea). Second, waiting until the US is in the midst of a constitutional crisis/coup/impeachment proceedings with nobody bothering to pass a budget that'll allow for rapid massive military response effectively removes the US from the table completely, if we're even viewed as a potential adversary right now.

Edit:

Reverand maynard posted:

Yeah, Russia isn't going to do anything that would warrant a full response from Europe. It's a lot harder to convince all of the EU to respond if Putin is just constantly putting his toe over the line in the sand over and over again.

I completely forgot about this...since the EU is crumbling and NATO (without US support) is effectively worthless, that's the only other piece that really matters.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Feb 15, 2017

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Smiling Jack posted:

Well, the Ukrainians might have something to say about it :rimshot:

Also, real answer, the Russian military is a tad extended right now, Russia doesn't want the non Russian parts or the Ukraine (yet), and they are currently consolidating power by murdering Russian separatists to bring the rest in line.

Russia is also known for taking their time. See some other border disputes where they just kicked the fence out a foot a year until they'd stolen miles of land.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Yeah, Russia isn't going to do anything that would warrant a full response from Europe. It's a lot harder to convince all of the EU to respond if Putin is just constantly putting his toe over the line in the sand over and over again.

Vietnam was the first future war where everything is either proxy vs proxy or state vs proxy. When we were in Iraq we fought non-state actors that were proxies for Iran and Saudi Arabia. Syria, Yemen, Ukraine, they all have legit countries shooting the rebels that are sponsored by other countries, but very little open battles between the big players.

Russia is however taking this to a new level by having their own military pose as a proxy when fighting Ukraine.

PookBear fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Feb 15, 2017

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedBen/status/831901461793611777

Donnie and his associates will never run out of ways to gently caress up.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Reverand maynard posted:

That's the hope, right? But Putin isn't exactly the only decision-maker in Russia. In military matters he tends to take a lot of advice from his generals and council - in fact, there's evidence that shows that Ukraine is becoming a bit of a sore spot with him, hence his recent reshuffle of his inner circle. At this point I don't think even Russia knows its endstate past the annexation of Crimea. Crimea's more or less a lost cause at this point, but the Donbass region is still in play. Europe's already established their complete inability to control the Russians - the Minsk II agreement isn't worth the paper it's printed on. And Europe will never, ever mount a full response against Russia without the US leading it. If anything I wish they'd lift the sanctions against Russia. They're not achieving the desired results.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

Donnie and his associates will never run out of ways to gently caress up.

It really is loving insane how everyone on Trump's team lacks the ability to simply shut the gently caress up. It's like a police show where they catch the criminal because he's drunk in a bar bragging about how much money he stole.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

Godholio posted:

Is that an actual quote? Jesus, did he learn English in a room alone as a child? (probably)

A true ciceronian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_SXqfzvp-I&t=90s

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Putin's end goal is to cause chaos. The UK has left/is leaving the EU. The USA is occupied with Trump and Flynn. There is a war in Ukraine but its not actually effecting the rest of Europe like Syria is.

Putin and Russia aren't going to fix their economy and become a loving power house the same way the US is and what China is becoming. They can however gently caress the rest of the world up and bring everyone else down to their level.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I think Mattis's comments to NATO is a subtle way of saying "we're currently hosed, start fixing your military"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/LucasFoxNews/status/831847716506497027?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Also: Robert Harward has been picked to replace Flynn. Admiral Harward has says he'll need to think about it.

https://twitter.com/LucasFoxNews/status/831898680886181889

:tinfoil:

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Feb 15, 2017

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

CommieGIR posted:

https://twitter.com/LucasFoxNews/status/831847716506497027?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Also: Robert Harward has been picked to replace Flynn. Admiral Harward has says he'll need to think about it.

https://twitter.com/LucasFoxNews/status/831898680886181889

:tinfoil:

So would it be illegal to sail another EM ship right next to the trawler and blast a whole bunch of electronic noise so that it fucks off and goes home?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Why not sneak a fast attack boat up the the spy ship and just start pinging away.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Bit of a dick move to say it that way, but he's pretty much speaking his mind and saying something that should have been on the table for a long time. Problem is that it's gonna take an actual traumatically big fuckup to get NATO, in particular the leading European nations, to work towards a considerable increase in defense spending.

The nations that are still recovering from the recession, and especially those that are still eyeballing full economic collapse because of populist politics, are never going to think about defense spending. And the easiest way to deflect Mattis' suggestion is that he's part of the Trump administration, and lol Trump administration.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Trump/Netanyaho press conference about to start

bij
Feb 24, 2007

The various intel agencies really need to remove Fox News.

They can start with a bunch of tragic two gunshots to the back of the head suicides among Fox & Friends.

bij fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Feb 15, 2017

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

https://twitter.com/SenJohnMcCain/status/831869005552054273

defensive lethal assistance sure is a nice phrase

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

It's live.

Trump is still the shittiest orator in recent history. At least the speech so far is just your run-of-the-mill Israel ball-coddling.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

he went off the script to say that the Iran deal is the WORST

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
So war in the Middle East without intelligence support? How does that end?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
jfc

• Locked thread