Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Phlegmish posted:

If it is true that North Korea was behind it, which seems very likely, Kim Jong-Un is NOT the jolly type of fat man. First his uncle, now his half-brother. I don't like people that murder their family.

Well, considering the family/view he was raised under, I'd imagine he has very little emotion connection to anyone but himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
holy poo poo, if that's the assassin

Phlegmish posted:

If it is true that North Korea was behind it, which seems very likely, Kim Jong-Un is NOT the jolly type of fat man.

well, I'm glad that's finally been established.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

I don't know what they are actually trying to cover up with killing them, unless their orders were to commit suicide after killing him.

I think most/all of the political assassinations North Korea commits are people in the country, so they can just be rounded up for an "official" execution or shot in the back of the head while walking down the street with nobody really able to do anything. They probably considered sending assassins outside of the country a gigantic security risk if any of them got arrested and interrogated, so either they were killed to keep them from blabbing or they picked people loyal enough to swallow some cyanide right after doing the deed.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Haven't seen such an obvious assassination like that since Alexander Litvinenko. Honestly surprised to see it come from Jong-Un.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

chitoryu12 posted:

I think most/all of the political assassinations North Korea commits are people in the country, so they can just be rounded up for an "official" execution or shot in the back of the head while walking down the street with nobody really able to do anything. They probably considered sending assassins outside of the country a gigantic security risk if any of them got arrested and interrogated, so either they were killed to keep them from blabbing or they picked people loyal enough to swallow some cyanide right after doing the deed.

They blew up a South Korea passenger jet back in the day, you should check out the autobiography by the female spy. Fascinating stuff of NK's (low rent) oversea training and operation.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Feb 15, 2017

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
http://www.thehindu.com/news/international/Malaysian-police-arrest-woman-with-Vietnamese-passport/article17307235.ece

quote:

Malaysian police probing the killing of the half-brother of North Korea’s leader arrested a woman on Wednesday as they tried to unravel a Cold War-style assassination the South said was carried out by Pyongyang’s agents.

As Seoul pointed the finger at poison-wielding female spies from North of their shared border, police in Kuala Lumpur said they were holding a woman with a Vietnamese passport.

Her arrest came around 24 hours after news broke of the death of Kim Jong-Nam, the elder sibling of North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un, with reports saying female assassins had sprayed toxins in his face at Kuala Lumpur International Airport.

CCTV images that emerged in Malaysian media, purportedly of one of the suspects, showed an Asian woman wearing a white top with the letters “LOL” emblazoned on the front.

Malaysian police chief Khalid Abu Bakar said 28-year-old Doan Thi Huong was arrested at the airport on Wednesday morning — two days after the killing.

The suspect was “positively identified from the CCTV footage at the airport and was alone at the time of arrest,” Mr. Khalid said in a statement.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
LOL execution tops all Putin and CIA assassinations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Freakazoid_ posted:

Haven't seen such an obvious assassination like that since Alexander Litvinenko. Honestly surprised to see it come from Jong-Un.

The target was his half-brother, so if he was directly involved in the assassination decision it was probably a very personal thing for him. The guy's prominence in the family means he'd likely be treated as a traitor of the highest order for running off to become a foreign playboy.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

https://twitter.com/goldengateblond/status/831756598041260032/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Edit: also Malaysian police found the bodies of the two women suspected of killing Kim.

Where's the source on that? All I'm seeing is one woman arrested.

quote:

The detained woman, whose passport said she was born in Nam Dinh Vietnam, told police she was asked to spray Mr Kim as part of a "prank", urged on by four men, according to a reporter from Hong Kong's Oriental Daily newspaper, who is in Kuala Lumpur.

:v:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Kurtofan posted:

https://twitter.com/goldengateblond/status/831756598041260032/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Edit: also Malaysian police found the bodies of the two women suspected of killing Kim.

Suicide or level two assassination?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Synthbuttrange posted:

The only thing I can say to that is: roflmao.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Synthbuttrange posted:

The ultimate "It's just a prank, bro!"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Setting aside the latest moment of insanity (which seems to be the only thing that spurs discussion on Korea), would anyone like to discuss the merits of engagement with the DPRK?

(I've read Bradley's book, I've been rereading Myers more critically and I would like to get into Lankov's work beyond his journal papers. I'm especially interested in this debate at the moment after stumbling upon an academic dust-up involving Myers and a few other Korea scholars from 2014.)

These are the things about economic engagement I don't understand: first, is regime collapse a goal? If so, is that actually a good thing? I believe that part of the reason the DPRK continues is that neither China, South Korea, nor the U.S. want to foot the bill to rehabilitate the country when the regime does inevitably collapse.

Second, how is economic engagement necessarily good for the North Korean people? Who is placing conditions that stop the DPRK from accepting exactly as much state capitalism as it needs to finance itself, perhaps even strengthening its tattered surveillance state in the process? The U.S. has a history of business relationships with repressive regimes wherein we exploit access to cheap labor and raw materials. At best, we turn a blind eye to human rights abuses, and at best we actively help them put down dissent. We supported a series of dictators in South Korea while "expressing concerns."

I'm inclined to believe that more change is happening thanks to small entrepreneurs selling goods smuggled across the Chinese border than from anything Western capitalists are doing.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Halloween Jack posted:

Setting aside the latest moment of insanity (which seems to be the only thing that spurs discussion on Korea), would anyone like to discuss the merits of engagement with the DPRK?

(I've read Bradley's book, I've been rereading Myers more critically and I would like to get into Lankov's work beyond his journal papers. I'm especially interested in this debate at the moment after stumbling upon an academic dust-up involving Myers and a few other Korea scholars from 2014.)

These are the things about economic engagement I don't understand: first, is regime collapse a goal? If so, is that actually a good thing? I believe that part of the reason the DPRK continues is that neither China, South Korea, nor the U.S. want to foot the bill to rehabilitate the country when the regime does inevitably collapse.

Second, how is economic engagement necessarily good for the North Korean people? Who is placing conditions that stop the DPRK from accepting exactly as much state capitalism as it needs to finance itself, perhaps even strengthening its tattered surveillance state in the process? The U.S. has a history of business relationships with repressive regimes wherein we exploit access to cheap labor and raw materials. At best, we turn a blind eye to human rights abuses, and at best we actively help them put down dissent. We supported a series of dictators in South Korea while "expressing concerns."

I'm inclined to believe that more change is happening thanks to small entrepreneurs selling goods smuggled across the Chinese border than from anything Western capitalists are doing.

Your inclination is largely correct. They're doing it because if they didn't do it, asian capitalists would, and the US and European populations would rather we did it.

The other powers are preparing for the collapse, but have no interest in actually spurring it, because it would be a political, humanitarian and police disaster of biblical proportions.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
The people who spurred and allowed small good trade over the Chinese border are dead now, it will be interesting to see how that changes in the future.

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.
https://twitter.com/cgtnofficial/status/832808742320103425

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams
All this Kim Jong Nam stuff has been whipping the Japanese news media into a frenzy. It's been even supplanting Donald Trump's daily shenanigans as the top story.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

And the two women assassins may have been duped.

quote:

Bangkok/Jakarta: An Indonesian woman arrested over the assassination of North Korean leader Kim Jong-un's half-brother, were duped into believing she was taking part in a television show prank, according to police.

The revelation came as police raided an apartment in Kuala Lumpur and arrested a 47-year-old man holding a North Korean passport.

Indonesia's police chief Tito Karnavian said Indonesia had received information from Malaysia the woman, Siti Aisyah, was "just being used" and didn't realise it was an assassination attempt by foreign agents.

http://www.smh.com.au/world/kim-jongnam-assassination-suspects-spent-time-in-china-before-poisoning-prank-reports-20170217-gufu52.html

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
What's an i-kad? Typo?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tias posted:

What's an i-kad? Typo?

Korean iPad.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Tias posted:

What's an i-kad? Typo?

Some sort of ID in Malaysia.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

"Kad" is BM for card.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

I've been seeing this story go around a lot, but it's worth being skeptical about it for now. North Korea's agents have a history of lying their asses of when they get captured, sometimes for weeks.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Koramei posted:

I've been seeing this story go around a lot, but it's worth being skeptical about it for now. North Korea's agents have a history of lying their asses of when they get captured, sometimes for weeks.

It does seem incredibly unlikely. "Hi random tourist women, we complete strangers would like you to single out this specific man in the airport for a prank! Make sure to run and hide afterwards, especially if he drops to the ground suddenly!"

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/18/world/asia/north-korea-china-coal-imports-suspended.html?_r=0

China is stopping all coal imports from North Korea.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
That's what happens when you kill their patsy!

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
so like how much official trade is left with north korea and the outside world, and how much do they depend on that remaining trade?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

thechosenone posted:

so like how much official trade is left with north korea and the outside world, and how much do they depend on that remaining trade?

Things like the cell network are still run in cooperation between a North Korean company and various outside companies. In the particular case of the cell phones that's Orascom based out of Egypt, who also has a decent amount of construction contracts in North Korea as well. Orascom even used to have a large amount of cement facilities in North Korea but I believe that business was sold off.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

seems china is sick of there poo poo. can't really blame them.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Dapper_Swindler posted:

seems china is sick of there poo poo. can't really blame them.

This was going to hapen anyways, China's 5 year plan includes less coal and more nuclear/renewables.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

This was going to hapen anyways, China's 5 year plan includes less coal and more nuclear/renewables.

Its gonna be ironic if China is the world's leading Nuclear power generator. At least it will exist to remind people nuclear power isn't just like, literal bombs or something stupid.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

CommieGIR posted:

It also includes reducing the wealth gap by essentially wishing it to happen, so I'd take anything in that plan with a metric tonne of salt.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Fuji Terebi here in Japan aired CCTV footage of what looks to be the assassination (I watched it on TV Asahi). Sure doesn't look like a TV prank to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6lgVMUeWkM

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.
:(

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

thechosenone posted:

I'm not sure, but according to that article it seems coal is by far the largest:

quote:

Coal has accounted for 34 percent to 40 percent of North Korean exports in the past several years, and almost all of it was shipped to China, according to South Korean government estimates.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
North Korea has diverse mineral resources, but coal is more easily mined by crippled slave children.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Have they identified what chemicals it was that killed him?

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Nope, first autopsy was inconclusive, supposedly new autopsy will be performed and results announced this week. North Korea is going full North Korea about it.

http://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2017/02/20/malaysia-and-n-korea-on-verge-of-diplomatic-row/
http://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2017/02/20/subra-police-will-make-announcement/

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 20, 2017

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Auritech posted:

Fuji Terebi here in Japan aired CCTV footage of what looks to be the assassination (I watched it on TV Asahi). Sure doesn't look like a TV prank to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6lgVMUeWkM

WTF, the videos before and after he got assassinated were much sharper. I can't see poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Freakazoid_ posted:

Have they identified what chemicals it was that killed him?

Japanese media is speculating that it was VX liquid.