Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
If I had to guess EDG takes it all after a final of EDG vs UoL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
i'm saying uol takes all. also i kind of hope G2 keeps failing internationally because it's funny

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

Lovechop posted:

boom boom

M19 better take it all.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

rabidsquid posted:

this buff to specifically henkman goes too far

edit: oh who cares

lol

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

wodin posted:

I know the whole ADC in 2017 meme, but I sort of wish it would come back. These games with 4-5 Marksman in them are miserable to watch as both teams are completely terrified to engage even with bullshit-level tank tops because the ADCs do absurd damage and can just kite backwards.

The real problem is edge of night, I think it's relatively balanced on champs that want to go in but if it's used defensively from 500+ range it just nullifies engage.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

AD items probably need to be separated into ranged and melee because nothing they've tried has worked and at this point i dont have any faith in riot finding a more elegant solution

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Radical posted:

AD items probably need to be separated into ranged and melee because nothing they've tried has worked and at this point i dont have any faith in riot finding a more elegant solution

Would it help to make lethality scale differently for ranged vs. melee? Like the stat has half the effect on a ranged champion, or something. That would avoid the hamfistedness of going through and marking everything melee.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

JerryLee posted:

Would it help to make lethality scale differently for ranged vs. melee? Like the stat has half the effect on a ranged champion, or something. That would avoid the hamfistedness of going through and marking everything melee.

Conversely, you could just say armor is more effective against ranged auto attacks than it currently is. This is basically an easier explanation of the same thing.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I think the idea of making something as basic as stats work differently between different champs is the least elegant and most hamfisted solution you could actually have. Let's not forget that for most people this is not a hardcore competitive game, minutiae like that is unneeded complexity. The melee only solution at least is immediately obvious to players.

Sexpansion posted:

Conversely, you could just say armor is more effective against ranged auto attacks than it currently is. This is basically an easier explanation of the same thing.

Although this could work.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

JerryLee posted:

This substitutes extra math for simplicity though, and creates the following situation:
1. Lethality builds still worth it for ADCs? Nothing changes.
2. Lethality builds no longer worth it? You have effectively made them melee-only without being transparent or efficient about it.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

Kashuno posted:

I think the idea of making something as basic as stats work differently between different champs is the least elegant and most hamfisted solution you could actually have. Let's not forget that for most people this is not a hardcore competitive game, minutiae like that is unneeded complexity. The melee only solution at least is immediately obvious to players.

yeah, this is my general feeling on changing underlying statistics. unless you read the patch notes it isn't entirely obvious that a lethality build on jhin or lucian is less effective, and changing the tooltip when you're a ranged champ to say LESS EFFECTIVE ON RANGED might as well read MELEE ONLY.

in general making items for ranged/melee or even role specific (tank only, mage only, etc.) would probably not work because of the perceived loss of complexity by the community. in reality because riot already changes things the second an item is being built by an offrole (ice fist, gage, etc.) they're effectively only for the role themselves. a lot of balance issues arise because of riot trying to maintain a superficial complexity while actually being able to restrict items to roles would allow them to increase the actual complexity of the game a lot more without worrying about how hosed up ekko buying the item would be.

i think if riot were to sit down and design LOL2 today i think it would look a lot like that, and their internal designations for champions would be a core part of the design instead of a loose way of describing a champion.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

JerryLee posted:

Nah, this stuff is all mostly bad. The problem is with some ranged AD casters having ridiculous poke right now (Varus, Jhin) and getting too much safety while building those items. If you want to hit the poke you can hit their abilities, this isn't a generic ADC problem. If you want to hit the survivability then making edge of night melee only would do the trick.

Marksmen are pretty much always op when they get too much survivability. It's not really tank since they don't tank shots but the top ADCs went from jump carries like Trist and Corki that could get out of danger to ranged bruisers that could actually tank with Sterak's and Cleaver to ultra poke champs that can sit 1000 range behind their front line and can't be CC'd.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

This substitutes extra math for simplicity though, and creates the following situation:
1. Lethality builds still worth it for ADCs? Nothing changes.
2. Lethality builds no longer worth it? You have effectively made them melee-only without being transparent or efficient about it.

I'm curious what you think is wrong with it being "still worth it". Like, I have no issue if lethality items are a viable alternative to (say) BF items for an ADC. In fact, I would say that's better for the game. The issue, unless I've misunderstood something, is just that they are too effective for ranged overall, relative to melee. You can solve that by directly changing the numbers to bring them in line.

Sexpansion posted:

This would work too.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

JerryLee posted:

I'm curious what you think is wrong with it being "still worth it". Like, I have no issue if lethality items are a viable alternative to (say) BF items for an ADC. In fact, I would say that's better for the game. The issue, unless I've misunderstood something, is just that they are too effective for ranged overall, relative to melee. You can solve that by directly changing the numbers to bring them in line.
Do you honestly believe that "changing the numbers to bring them in line" won't result in one of the two outcomes I've outlined?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Do you honestly believe that "changing the numbers to bring them in line" won't result in one of the two outcomes I've outlined?

But the current problem is not, per se, that item X is "worth it" for an ADC, but that it's too worth it, if you will. Right?

I mean, I've been assuming that the problem is not that people are clutching their pearls over the sheer affront of seeing an ADC build an item intended for an assassin, but because it's actually leading to bad gameplay as a practical consequence.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

JerryLee posted:

But the current problem is not, per se, that item X is "worth it" for an ADC, but that it's too worth it, if you will. Right?

I mean, I've been assuming that the problem is not that people are clutching their pearls over the sheer affront of seeing an ADC build an item intended for an assassin, but because it's actually leading to bad gameplay as a practical consequence.

The problem is that the items are extremely good for ADCs, but not good enough to get played on the champs they were designed for or even to get those champs to see play.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Khazix, rengar, zed, and jayce have seen plenty of pro play and build those items

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

henkman posted:

Khazix, rengar, zed, and jayce have seen plenty of pro play and build those items

I only watch LCK and I'm a bit behind so I may be missing some. No Zed over here and Jayce isn't an assassin, but fair on Kha and Rengar

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Kha and Rengar are also competing against, what, maybe-Rek'Sai or Rumble if ya nasty for a jungle spot at this point? Given that top lane is for the most part the same wasteland of wet noodle fights it always is, tanky junglers aren't the seasonal hotness they once were.

Plus Kha is seeing play in part because post-6 he has absolutely absurd dragon control, itemization isn't going to do much about that so long as he has a huge single-target nuke on an effectively nonexistent cooldown.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Maybe I can rephrase myself more clearly:

If the problem is ADCs being able to build lethality as a stat (and have it be a non-comedy option), or having access to an item with Edge of Night's active, or what have you--if those are the actual problems, then sure, make the items melee-only.

But if, as I've been led to believe, the actual problem is lethality being too valuable point-for-point for ranged, and/or (some?) assassins being underpowered, address those issues specifically.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

JerryLee posted:

Maybe I can rephrase myself more clearly:

If the problem is ADCs being able to build lethality as a stat (and have it be a non-comedy option), or having access to an item with Edge of Night's active, or what have you--if those are the actual problems, then sure, make the items melee-only.

But if, as I've been led to believe, the actual problem is lethality being too valuable point-for-point for ranged, and/or (some?) assassins being underpowered, address those issues specifically.

That's not the issue

The issue is that ADC as a role cannot exist in the current meta because going into 600 range of the enemy team except for cleanup is suicide

Which is why you get the reign of initiation ADCs spamming poke skills from a billion miles away and then ulting for a 'go time' button instead of seeing Vayne or Lucian or Tristana or whoever (with the occasional spicy ADC MF pick because Bullet Time has something like two and a half times the range of her autos). It has nothing to do with lethality being OP and everything to do with trying to actually autoattack as the Autoattack Damage Carries being suboptimal. Math fixes solve nothing, the issue is with making autoing (and thus incurring the risk of getting dogpiled by the enemy team) worth your time.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
this guy is my fav NA player

https://twitter.com/akaadian/status/831673619637899264

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
No wonder Akaadian is a top tier Rengar, he's super good at using Savagery

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Transient People posted:

No wonder Akaadian is a top tier Rengar, he's super good at using Savagery

looool

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Transient People posted:

That's not the issue

The issue is that ADC as a role cannot exist in the current meta because going into 600 range of the enemy team except for cleanup is suicide

Which is why you get the reign of initiation ADCs spamming poke skills from a billion miles away and then ulting for a 'go time' button instead of seeing Vayne or Lucian or Tristana or whoever (with the occasional spicy ADC MF pick because Bullet Time has something like two and a half times the range of her autos). It has nothing to do with lethality being OP and everything to do with trying to actually autoattack as the Autoattack Damage Carries being suboptimal. Math fixes solve nothing, the issue is with making autoing (and thus incurring the risk of getting dogpiled by the enemy team) worth your time.
Well, if that's the problem then marking items melee-only wouldn't fix it either (not that you personally are claiming it would)

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

JerryLee posted:

Well, if that's the problem then marking items melee-only wouldn't fix it either (not that you personally are claiming it would)

It's kind of a horrible clusterfucky disaster with no easy fixes beyond massively amping the reward for autos (AND ONLY AUTOS, like IE to 300% crit damage or something), giving ADCs much better escape tools so they can deal with that annoying irelia jumping on them (nuBork is meant to help with this some), and toning down divers and tanks a bit. I think if Edge of Night was a zeal item you'd actually see the class in a much healthier shape in general - a spellshield probably allows somebody like Lucian or Tristana to get in and do their thing.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Lol that Akaadian tweet. I am definitely excited for the na junglers doing so well. I am worried though that guys like Moon/Akaadian/Contractz will fall off if the jungler meta switches to utility or tank. Nobody other than Sven seems to play Ivern in NA or atleast decently. Dardoch atleast has a very good Reksai and use to play tank Gragas/Olaf.

Could see Xmithie/Sven/Dardoch out performing them whenever the meta changes.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Ulio posted:

Lol that Akaadian tweet. I am definitely excited for the na junglers doing so well. I am worried though that guys like Moon/Akaadian/Contractz will fall off if the jungler meta switches to utility or tank. Nobody other than Sven seems to play Ivern in NA or atleast decently. Dardoch atleast has a very good Reksai and use to play tank Gragas/Olaf.

Could see Xmithie/Sven/Dardoch out performing them whenever the meta changes.

I thought Contractz looked okay on Ivern and his game seems a lot less predicated on aggressive play than Akaadian/Moon, so I feel like he'd make the transition to a tank jungler meta alright. Of course he has the advantage of having the best team around him.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

I made a comp of the 10 best outplays of last week's NA LCS, check it out :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qENy7yiivLE

I wanna do LCK too, just haven't gotten around to it.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

doinb: gently caress u im playing tank leblanc

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

this is the greatest team comp ive seen in my entire life, its obvious that zhonyas/ibg rush leblanc is the meta

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

maokai is the dumbest champion in the game

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

nb was gonna win anyways because they got to play blue side twice but qg hosed up their pick ban terribly and banned rengar while letting nb draft camille

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Transient People posted:

It's kind of a horrible clusterfucky disaster with no easy fixes beyond massively amping the reward for autos (AND ONLY AUTOS, like IE to 300% crit damage or something), giving ADCs much better escape tools so they can deal with that annoying irelia jumping on them (nuBork is meant to help with this some), and toning down divers and tanks a bit. I think if Edge of Night was a zeal item you'd actually see the class in a much healthier shape in general - a spellshield probably allows somebody like Lucian or Tristana to get in and do their thing.

The real problem with ADCs right now is obviously that they only become relevant with armor pen items, when said items are strong. It's clear that crit builds, which should be the bread and butter for ADCs, are underpowered at the moment.

Buffing the AD on Infinity Edge and reducing the cost on it and on every Zeal item would be a good start. They'd have to nerf Yasuo at the same time, but meh.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

rabidsquid posted:

maokai is the dumbest champion in the game

I mean unironically yeah.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos
ROX Tigers should've just renamed after the 2016 squad disbanded. These five fools aren't worthy of the name made famous by Peanut, Smeb and co.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

The Mash posted:

The real problem with ADCs right now is obviously that they only become relevant with armor pen items, when said items are strong. It's clear that crit builds, which should be the bread and butter for ADCs, are underpowered at the moment.

Buffing the AD on Infinity Edge and reducing the cost on it and on every Zeal item would be a good start. They'd have to nerf Yasuo at the same time, but meh.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Do you guys think that part of the ADC issue has to do with the prevalence of mages botlane with "standard" support picks showing up less, or do those supports show up less specifically because ADCs are so weak in lane and there needs to be some power down there to make ganks happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
I think its just kind of cause a mage support reduces a tank support from someone who can set up a kill to someone who is purely reactive and only there for the peel? Also late game a mage support can be an actual threat that needs to be treated with a bit more respect than a tank who you can kind of ignore once they've blown their cooldowns

• Locked thread