Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
SPH gonna get replaced a program and a clock and then WON'T WE LOOK FOOLISH?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
If you want to gussy up my title it's Operation Manager at a Logistics company

Moving things from one place to another is useless?

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
You do nothing a computer cannot.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Jukebox Hero posted:

SPH gonna get replaced a program and a clock and then WON'T WE LOOK FOOLISH?

Oh, I'm completely aware the time is ticking on my job, it's not long until Uber or computer programmers replace me

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Well i see your concern. With an impressive position of such prestige i can see how all the liebruls must be crowded around your house like a zombie horde, trying to steal aaaaaaalllllll your stuff.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Yeah here's the thing, chief, you don't do that

Your employees do

Their timecards are probably already being managed by a piece of software, do you really think they couldn't just replace all the managers in your company with one guy who rubber stamps time cards and sorts schedules all day? Operations management is pretty much the most automatable middle management job. You are doing nothing that couldn't be done better with a piece of software

Your job is essentially welfare, it's just being subsidized through service and goods costs instead of taxpayer money. Hiring you comes at the expense of the employees under you, the ones who are doing the actual, real work, you lousy bum.

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Oh, I'm completely aware the time is ticking on my job, it's not long until Uber or computer programmers replace me

Well it's a good thing that's not a problem because ?? and it will all be fine if we just start burning coal again and build a wall, that'll save you

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Mirthless posted:

Yeah here's the thing, chief, you don't do that

Your employees do

Their timecards are probably already being managed by a piece of software, do you really think they couldn't just replace all the managers in your company with one guy who rubber stamps time cards and sorts schedules all day? Operations management is pretty much the most automatable middle management job. You are doing literally nothing that couldn't be done better with a piece of software

I wouldn't say better, I do organize and problem solve all day. Computers can do it faster and more brutally. It would be worse for the employees.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
You are so hosed in the robolution dude

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

KomodoWagon posted:

Well it's a good thing that's not a problem because ?? and it will all be fine if we just start burning coal again and build a wall, that'll save you

He wants a coal mining job so he can achieve true financial security... just so long as the librul elite doesnt come to steal his wealth from him.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Oh my god WORSE FOR THE EMPLOYEES, like they loving care

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Jukebox Hero posted:

You are so hosed in the robolution dude

No poo poo, that's why I would like there to be more jobs.

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

I wouldn't say better, I do organize and problem solve all day. Computers can do it faster and more brutally. It would be worse for the employees.

Yeah and luckily shareholders and CEOs are famously concerned with the wellbeing of employees so

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
But you think the jobs should be the ones that don't exist and weren't very good when they did and that nobody will pay a living wage for

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Jukebox Hero posted:

Oh my god WORSE FOR THE EMPLOYEES, like they loving care

This is Uber, which people do not like working for.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

:laffo:

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

No poo poo, that's why I would like there to be more jobs.

of course somebody who does a make-busy do-nothing job for a living thinks the solution is more jobs and not just a cut-to-the-chase GMI

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Holy gently caress

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Mirthless posted:

of course somebody who does a make-busy do-nothing job for a living thinks the solution is more jobs and not just a cut-to-the-chase GMI

I work non-stop, and also I make sure that my employees are taken care of in best way I can. I often battle management and take the side of the employees

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

you work the most replaceable middle management job in one of the leading drivers of the death of traditional employment, lol, i cannot believe anyone can really be this thick

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

I work non-stop, and also I make sure that my employees are taken care of in best way I can. I often battle management and take the side of the employees

you really don't

you would know this if you'd ever actually done one of these coal, manufacturing, or warehousing jobs you seem to think really need saving

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Lay off Spunky Psycho Ho. He's always posting through the workday like the rest of us, so he must at least work as hard as us.

Oh poo poo.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
just buy property and rent it out lol

there's nothing humans can do that machines won't be able to do better within our lifetimes

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Mirthless posted:

you would know this if you'd ever actually done one of these coal, manufacturing, or warehousing jobs you seem to think really need saving

I've worked in a warehouse and worked off conveyor belts, yes

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Knight posted:

Lay off Spunky Psycho Ho. He's always posting through the workday like the rest of us, so he must at least work as hard as us.

Oh poo poo.

I do a million things at once, I enjoy mental stimulation

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

I've worked in a warehouse and worked off conveyor belts, yes

Sure you have, your vast experience at the frito-lays plant when you were a teenager really has made you qualified to comment on the erosion of middle class manufacturing jobs

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Mirthless posted:

you work the most replaceable middle management job in one of the leading drivers of the death of traditional employment, lol, i cannot believe anyone can really be this thick

you really don't

Oh I don't know, I work in finance, and I should make minimum wage. I will be replaced by an excel macro in the near future. I only hope I make retirement before then. LMFAO

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
This thread was fun when it was prophesying trumps downfall, shut the hell up spunky

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Mirthless posted:

you really don't

No, he meant Uber, the competition, is not a good place to work, so by ensuring that his own company is nice to employees people will rather work for them than Uber. This means Uber will die off if he keeps his job.

It was even dumber than you thought

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

KomodoWagon posted:

No, he meant Uber, the competition, is not a good place to work, so by ensuring that his own company is nice to employees people will rather work for them than Uber. This means Uber will die off if he keeps his job.

It was even dumber than you thought

No, it means Uber is the future (unless there is regulation put into place) but people do not want to work for Uber

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Toadvine posted:

This thread was fun when it was prophesying trumps downfall, shut the hell up spunky

No let him self own a little more

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

No, it means Uber is the future (unless there is regulation put into place) but people do not want to work for Uber

Okay, so?

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

Arrhythmia posted:

No let him self own a little more

He's a bad troll duh

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
I don't get what the problem is. I'm like a liberal arts major that had to work lovely jobs because I loving hated trying to go into advertising or marketing and it's not so bad. I want there to be more people working and more opportunities for everyone

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

People mainly don't want to work for Uber because the wages are inconsistent and it's hard to cover the base expenses of the job and all your bills on the money you make

A GMI would make the gig economy actually make sense.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
What if there just isn't enough useful work for everyone?

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
Everyone should know what the problem is - the .001% control 1/3 of the world's money

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

I don't get what the problem is. I'm like a liberal arts major that had to work lovely jobs because I loving hated trying to go into advertising or marketing and it's not so bad. I want there to be more people working and more opportunities for everyone

1. Look up the phrase "Full Employment"
2. Even if that wasn't a thing, opportunities will continue to dry up unless we take an aggressively luddite stance on new productivity developments

Even if you banned full automation of job responsibilities on the federal level, people would still be finding ways to improve processes so they can cut the HR or Accounting department down a few more heads. Jobs that used to take hundreds of people to do can now be done with a team of ten people, and those jobs aren't going to be around for much longer either.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
Full employment is bad. You cannot have it. It leads to hyper inflation.

• Locked thread